Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Zalgiris Kaunas 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Both Antanas Kavaliauskas and Žalgiris would be better off if Kavaliauskas goes to another team. Žalgiris doesn't need to pay that high a salary for a third string center, and Kavaliauskas would benefit from time on the floor elsewhere as opposed to time on the bench at Žalgiris.
    Can't agree, because A - Kavaliauskas can help Birutis if he can't adopt to EL quick enough and B foreign player would be unhappy if he needed to take 2-3 center role.

I see some of you mentioning Kalnietis. I’d love his locker-room presence, but other than that I think he would be a downgrade for the club. I could see him as the third option PG at most, but I doubt he could get significant minutes in Euroleague and I would rather see the trash time going to Jokubaitis. Maybe Šaras would find a place for him, for his size, he could play in the post, but I can’t remember him being good at that..

I also would love to see both Mačiulis and Ulanovas on the same team, though ZalgirisFanForLife says it won’t happen. ��✌�� The more local players, the better. �� Same could be said for Grigonis.

Quote Originally Posted by ZalgirisFanForLife View Post
    Well, it is clear to me that:
    - Walkup will replace Udrih
    - Saras will stay
    - Birutis will replace Sajus
    - Pangos will be replaced by foreigner
    - Grigonis will replace someone on SF, it's either Ulanovas or Toupane
    - Kavaliauskas will stay

The only unknowns are:
    - is Micic smart enough to understand, that it's his chance to be leader of Saras team and next summer get contract of his life
    - is Ulanovas attractive for other EL teams
    - will White go to NBA, or stay.
    Grigonis has two years remaining, very doubtful Alba Berlin will let him go. They are in the same budget category as you are and it is likely they will play Euroleague next season. You are still a Top8 borderline team and not a regular Top4 candidate. Don´t forget that and stay humble.

Quote Originally Posted by thiago94 View Post
    Grigonis has two years remaining, very doubtful Alba Berlin will let him go. They are in the same budget category as you are and it is likely they will play Euroleague next season. You are still a Top8 borderline team and not a regular Top4 candidate. Don´t forget that and stay humble.
    It's not about being or not being humble. According to Lithuanian press, a buy-out clause is a part of Grigonis' contract (it's a fixed amount of money that can supposedly be known by any interested party). If that's indeed the case, then Žalgiris being or not being top 4 team does not play any role as long as they are willing to pay the buy-out.
    Girdėjau gandą - ateina lietūs

There's buyout around 100-150k. He is making only 180k per year, and Zalgiris may pay that buyout for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Miškinis View Post
    It's not about being or not being humble. According to Lithuanian press, a buy-out clause is a part of Grigonis' contract (it's a fixed amount of money that can supposedly be known by any interested party). If that's indeed the case, then Žalgiris being or not being top 4 team does not play any role as long as they are willing to pay the buy-out.
    How serious is the source/newspaper? Because this isn´t an issue in Germany at all. This would be an "opinion-changer": He could probably play under Jasicevicius in his home town. Alba Berlin is the best organization (based on whole staff and structure of the club, GM, Know-How, Arena, Cheerleading...) in German Basketball and Aito is an awesome coach, but this offer from Kaunas would be a No-Brainer. That should be his dream. Well, at the end it all depends on the existence of a buyout. Without a buyout-clause, I still doubt this will happen.

How serious is the source/newspaper? Because this isn´t an issue in Germany at all. This would be an "opinion-changer": He could probably play under Jasicevicius in his home town. Alba Berlin is the best organization (based on whole staff and structure of the club, GM, Know-How, Arena, Cheerleading...) in German Basketball and Aito is an awesome coach, but this offer from Kaunas would be a No-Brainer. That should be his dream. Well, at the end it all depends on the existence of a buyout. Without a buyout-clause, I still doubt this will happen.
    I'm not sure how serious that is. Basically every single portal in Lithuania has made an article about that (e.g., link). The articles include the fact about the buyout.
    Girdėjau gandą - ateina lietūs

Does anyone really want Jonas Maciulis to play in Zalgiris next season? I'm seeing this as so so decision at best. He's not that good any more. The fact that he's Zalgiris' dude doesn't necessary means he's a good fit at the moment. I hope Ulanovas stays and Maciulis will play else where.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Source/journalists are pretty serious, probably two most reliable in country, they never post false information. And it is their own information, their source told them that. But I am not sure is he is to replace Toupane or Ulanovas.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Does anyone really want Jonas Maciulis to play in Zalgiris next season? I'm seeing this as so so decision at best. He's not that good any more. The fact that he's Zalgiris' dude doesn't necessary means he's a good fit at the moment. I hope Ulanovas stays and Maciulis will play else where.
    It's pretty much the same as with Kalnietis. There's more sentimental value to it, than the actual benefit that Zalgiris would gain from bringing them home. Though, as much as I heard, Motiejunas welcomes Kalnietis anytime, they're very good friends with Saras and I would not be surprised to see at least one of them back.

Quote Originally Posted by bakas View Post
    It's pretty much the same as with Kalnietis. There's more sentimental value to it, than the actual benefit that Zalgiris would gain from bringing them home. Though, as much as I heard, Motiejunas welcomes Kalnietis anytime, they're very good friends with Saras and I would not be surprised to see at least one of them back.
    I doubt Kalnietis comeback, because at guard position there is almost nor room. We need another one PG that will replace Pangos, and they are very different players. There's more chance of Maciulis comeback, but it's not guaranteed.

Zalgiris is interested in James Augustine. That means a couple things:
    A - Kavaliauskas is gone
    B - another Lithuanian have to come, and most likely it will be Grigonis
    C - Ulanovas have to stay, or Ma2iulis have to come, but he said in interview that Zalgiris didn't gave any offer.

Roster is looking like:

PG ----, Walkup, Jokūbaitis?
    SG Micič, Milaknis, Valinskas?
    SF Ulanovas, Grigonis, Jogėla?
    PF Jankūnas, White?, Masiulis?
    C Davies, Augustine, Birutis

Roster would be crazy good. Even if PG won't be on Pangos level, we will be top8 contenders.

Default Laurynas Birutis(LKL regular season MVP) ● Welcome to Zalgiris Kaunas ● 2017-18 ᴴᴰ

Laurynas Birutis was named Lithuanian League season MVP. Siauliai’s 20-year-old center Laurynas Birutis led the 2017-2018 Lithuanian League in scoring (14.9 points per game), rebounds (7.3 p.g.), blocks (1.3 p.g.) and PIR (20.8 p.g.). What's your first impression of Zalgiris Kaunas prospect?
    Last edited by AMJA; 06-16-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Well, the season has ended. I am very VERY disappointed that Micic is leaving and saying that it's a step forward in his career. Efes is always at the bottom, Ataman is a shitty coach and Motum has been a perfect example of what happens there. Of course, the money is better, but one more season in Žalgiris would've lead him to a much better club, with much better ambitions and probably to even a better contract.

So, it's quite sad that all main PG's are leaving.

The rotation is going to be massive again, then there'll be half a season for the team to get to know each other, for new PG to learn the system (I doubt Valinskas abilities to get a more important role, though he knows the system) and there's no continuity again. (((((

On the other hand, the fact that Davies is staying until 2020 is incredible. I like Ponitka more than Toupane, I really like Walkup, I really hope that rumors about Grigonis and Augustine we'll come true.

Default Thomas Walkup ● Welcome to Zalgiris Kaunas ● 2017-18 ᴴᴰ

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by bakas View Post
    So, it's quite sad that all main PG's are leaving.
    The 2018-19 season for Žalgiris depends upon their success in finding good replacements for Kevin Pangos and Vasilije Micić at PG.

Otherwise it looks like Žalgiris will have a wrecking crew up front with the addition of 21 year old center Laurynas Birutis. Birutis was the leading scorer, leading rebounder, blocks leader and overall MVP in the LKL this past season with Šiauliai.

So, Šaras is staying. While reading interviews, I am pretty sure that Grigonis is going to become green-white again.

I'm pretty disappointed that the rumor with Augustine wasn't true as it would've been a huge upgrade from Kavaliauskas. Anyway, I like Antanas personality and he does do some good work. I believe that Birutis might become the second option during the season.

Walkup is great, Grigonis will be great, Birutis is great. I really like the rumors about Nigel William-Goss and Quino Colom. I like the Spaniard even more, despite the fact that he's turning thirty, I'd love to see more experience on the floor.

Also, it's interesting to see how Kalnietis will look like after spending the first half of the year working on his skills.

From the rumors I'd love to see the final roster ending up like this:

PG - Quino Colom, Valinskas, Kalnietis (Jokūbaitis?)
    SG - Grigonis, Walkup, Milaknis
    SF - Ulanovas, Ponitka
    PF - Jankūnas, White, Masiulis
    C - Davies, Birutis, Kavaliauskas

Would be nice.

Colom rumour seems too unrealistic. Guy made crazy money in Unics, now his agent asks for even more, that even Unics GM Bogachev told him to settle down, otherwise there'll be no new deal. Zalgiris can't afford payin' money like that. Moreover, he is not a profile of player Zalgiris usualy signs with Saras. We are looking for a relatively unknown players, cheaper ones, who could blossom in Zalgiris. William-Goss is exactly the type of player who'd suit us here. Udrih was the only exception, but he was signed in the middle of the season to bring experience for final part of it and to wider rotation.
    Regarding the rest, Walkup seems to be decent choice. All-around player in both sides of the floor. Should be more versatile than Toupane was, hopefully he will adjust to EL level faster. I guess with him on board, you can forget about Ponitka, especially if Grigonis will join, but his main ask is playin' time and important role. That's understandable, but if you want to play in higher level, you have to prove your worth too. I guess he surely wouldn't be lost in rotation.
    Valinskas and Masiulis most likely will be loaned. I'd surely sent Masiulis to Siauliai, they'll play in Champions League, he should get lot of playin' time as he needs it like an air.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Kalnietis joining, if his demands will be lower, but not sure if he is really needed. The same goes with Maciulis. However if Ulanovas will leave, which is very likely scenarion, Maciulis would find himself in rotation, but again his salary should go down a lot.
    Other than that I fully trust Saras and co scouting abilities, they are at top level

It will be interesting to see how roster will look, because if Grigonis comes, there will be a lot players that can play 1-3 position. From what I heard and red, the most optimistic roster would be:

PG Nigel Williams-Goss, Walkup, Jokubaitis/Valinskas
    SG -------, Milaknis, Arlauskas
    SF Ulanovas, Grigonis, Jogela
    PF Jankunas, White, Masiulis
    C Davies, Kavaliauskas, Birutis, Gebenas

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast