Zalgiris Kaunas 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bakas View Post
    It's pretty much the same as with Kalnietis. There's more sentimental value to it, than the actual benefit that Zalgiris would gain from bringing them home. Though, as much as I heard, Motiejunas welcomes Kalnietis anytime, they're very good friends with Saras and I would not be surprised to see at least one of them back.
    I doubt Kalnietis comeback, because at guard position there is almost nor room. We need another one PG that will replace Pangos, and they are very different players. There's more chance of Maciulis comeback, but it's not guaranteed.

Comment

Zalgiris is interested in James Augustine. That means a couple things:
      A - Kavaliauskas is gone
      B - another Lithuanian have to come, and most likely it will be Grigonis
      C - Ulanovas have to stay, or Ma2iulis have to come, but he said in interview that Zalgiris didn't gave any offer.

Roster is looking like:

PG ----, Walkup, Jokūbaitis?
      SG Micič, Milaknis, Valinskas?
      SF Ulanovas, Grigonis, Jogėla?
      PF Jankūnas, White?, Masiulis?
      C Davies, Augustine, Birutis

Roster would be crazy good. Even if PG won't be on Pangos level, we will be top8 contenders.

Comment

Laurynas Birutis(LKL regular season MVP) ● Welcome to Zalgiris Kaunas ● 2017-18 ᴴᴰ

Laurynas Birutis was named Lithuanian League season MVP. Siauliai’s 20-year-old center Laurynas Birutis led the 2017-2018 Lithuanian League in scoring (14.9 points per game), rebounds (7.3 p.g.), blocks (1.3 p.g.) and PIR (20.8 p.g.). What's your first impression of Zalgiris Kaunas prospect?
        Last edited by AMJA; 06-16-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Well, the season has ended. I am very VERY disappointed that Micic is leaving and saying that it's a step forward in his career. Efes is always at the bottom, Ataman is a shitty coach and Motum has been a perfect example of what happens there. Of course, the money is better, but one more season in Žalgiris would've lead him to a much better club, with much better ambitions and probably to even a better contract.

So, it's quite sad that all main PG's are leaving.

The rotation is going to be massive again, then there'll be half a season for the team to get to know each other, for new PG to learn the system (I doubt Valinskas abilities to get a more important role, though he knows the system) and there's no continuity again. (((((

On the other hand, the fact that Davies is staying until 2020 is incredible. I like Ponitka more than Toupane, I really like Walkup, I really hope that rumors about Grigonis and Augustine we'll come true.

Comment

Thomas Walkup ● Welcome to Zalgiris Kaunas ● 2017-18 ᴴᴰ

Comment

Originally posted by bakas View Post
              So, it's quite sad that all main PG's are leaving.
              The 2018-19 season for Žalgiris depends upon their success in finding good replacements for Kevin Pangos and Vasilije Micić at PG.

Otherwise it looks like Žalgiris will have a wrecking crew up front with the addition of 21 year old center Laurynas Birutis. Birutis was the leading scorer, leading rebounder, blocks leader and overall MVP in the LKL this past season with Šiauliai.

Comment

Comment

So, Å aras is staying. While reading interviews, I am pretty sure that Grigonis is going to become green-white again.

I'm pretty disappointed that the rumor with Augustine wasn't true as it would've been a huge upgrade from Kavaliauskas. Anyway, I like Antanas personality and he does do some good work. I believe that Birutis might become the second option during the season.

Walkup is great, Grigonis will be great, Birutis is great. I really like the rumors about Nigel William-Goss and Quino Colom. I like the Spaniard even more, despite the fact that he's turning thirty, I'd love to see more experience on the floor.

Also, it's interesting to see how Kalnietis will look like after spending the first half of the year working on his skills.

From the rumors I'd love to see the final roster ending up like this:

PG - Quino Colom, Valinskas, Kalnietis (Jokūbaitis?)
                  SG - Grigonis, Walkup, Milaknis
                  SF - Ulanovas, Ponitka
                  PF - Jankūnas, White, Masiulis
                  C - Davies, Birutis, Kavaliauskas

Would be nice.

Comment

Colom rumour seems too unrealistic. Guy made crazy money in Unics, now his agent asks for even more, that even Unics GM Bogachev told him to settle down, otherwise there'll be no new deal. Zalgiris can't afford payin' money like that. Moreover, he is not a profile of player Zalgiris usualy signs with Saras. We are looking for a relatively unknown players, cheaper ones, who could blossom in Zalgiris. William-Goss is exactly the type of player who'd suit us here. Udrih was the only exception, but he was signed in the middle of the season to bring experience for final part of it and to wider rotation.
                    Regarding the rest, Walkup seems to be decent choice. All-around player in both sides of the floor. Should be more versatile than Toupane was, hopefully he will adjust to EL level faster. I guess with him on board, you can forget about Ponitka, especially if Grigonis will join, but his main ask is playin' time and important role. That's understandable, but if you want to play in higher level, you have to prove your worth too. I guess he surely wouldn't be lost in rotation.
                    Valinskas and Masiulis most likely will be loaned. I'd surely sent Masiulis to Siauliai, they'll play in Champions League, he should get lot of playin' time as he needs it like an air.
                    Wouldn't be surprised to see Kalnietis joining, if his demands will be lower, but not sure if he is really needed. The same goes with Maciulis. However if Ulanovas will leave, which is very likely scenarion, Maciulis would find himself in rotation, but again his salary should go down a lot.
                    Other than that I fully trust Saras and co scouting abilities, they are at top level

Comment

It will be interesting to see how roster will look, because if Grigonis comes, there will be a lot players that can play 1-3 position. From what I heard and red, the most optimistic roster would be:

PG Nigel Williams-Goss, Walkup, Jokubaitis/Valinskas
                      SG -------, Milaknis, Arlauskas
                      SF Ulanovas, Grigonis, Jogela
                      PF Jankunas, White, Masiulis
                      C Davies, Kavaliauskas, Birutis, Gebenas

Comment

Originally posted by ZalgirisFanForLife View Post
                        It will be interesting to see how roster will look, because if Grigonis comes, there will be a lot players that can play 1-3 position. From what I heard and red, the most optimistic roster would be:

PG Nigel Williams-Goss, Walkup, Jokubaitis/Valinskas
                        SG -------, Milaknis, Arlauskas
                        SF Ulanovas, Grigonis, Jogela
                        PF Jankunas, White, Masiulis
                        C Davies, Kavaliauskas, Birutis, Gebenas
                        Walkup has decent courtvision, can find open teammate, can dribble past the halfcourt line with the ball like f.e. the same Toupane did at times, but he is not a PG, not the one who organizes the game. Walkup can be considered as SG/SF more. I believe with him on court there always will be one pure PG. So Zalgiris needs 2 PGs (or combos) now one way or another.

Comment

Look one more time at him and Toupane. Toupane couldn't dribble the ball and was a very bad disher. Walkup is way better at dribbling the ball and dishing it, playing 2v2. Toupane was 8 cm bigger, than Walkup. I agree, that Walkup can defend on switch vs PG's, SG's and SF's, but he is a creator, and Toupane was a very bad one, and that is the main difference. Toupane will be replaced by Grigonis (I hope so), and he is way better creator that Toupane as well. He is 198cm, he can play 2v2, decently dribble the ball and shoot, also he is good defender, but not that good like Toups.

Comment

Originally posted by ZalgirisFanForLife View Post
                            Look one more time at him and Toupane. Toupane couldn't dribble the ball and was a very bad disher. Walkup is way better at dribbling the ball and dishing it, playing 2v2. Toupane was 8 cm bigger, than Walkup. I agree, that Walkup can defend on switch vs PG's, SG's and SF's, but he is a creator, and Toupane was a very bad one, and that is the main difference. Toupane will be replaced by Grigonis (I hope so), and he is way better creator that Toupane as well. He is 198cm, he can play 2v2, decently dribble the ball and shoot, also he is good defender, but not that good like Toups.
                            Why should I look at him or Toupane? I didn't compare them at all, what for? All that has been written that Walkup is not a PG. I could write not "Toupane", but i.e. that he can dribble past the halfcourt line the same way Milaknis did at times, or Ulanovas. That doesn't change the idea

Comment

So after keeping Ulanovas and signing Grigonis, which both were major success for us, basically it's 3 things needs to be cleared: will White continue with Zalgiris or will go to Wizards, which should be clear till July 15th and the most important - who will be our two PGs, which is vital for Saras tactics

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                                So after keeping Ulanovas and signing Grigonis, which both were major success for us, basically it's 3 things needs to be cleared: will White continue with Zalgiris or will go to Wizards, which should be clear till July 15th and the most important - who will be our two PGs, which is vital for Saras tactics
                                Very nice! One of may favourite NT players. If only Zalgiris had kept Lekavicius. Anyway, I think it's huge that Ulanovas stayed, he most likely will play his best season. He surely can be 10pts, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 teals kind of player with great defensive insticts. I think last season he a bit underperformed offensively.

Grigonis is a growing player who does a little bit of everything and can cover two positions SG/SF. It will be ineresting to watch how much he will progress under Å aras guidance. I think he just needs to be polished, we might even see him playing some point forward after some time. Saras usually improves his players decision making skills.
                                LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                                Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                                Buzelis, Lelevicius
                                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information