Jazz assistant Igor Kokoskov agrees to become Suns' head coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz assistant Igor Kokoskov agrees to become Suns' head coach

Kokoskov, a native of Serbia, will be the first head coach born and raised outside North America in NBA history, the Suns said. He will begin his duties as head coach after Utah's season concludes. The Jazz trail the Houston Rockets 1-0 in their Western Conference semifinal series.

Jazz assistant Igor Kokoskov has been named the new head coach of the Suns, making him the first head coach born and raised outside of North America in NBA history, the Suns said.
    Republic of CRVENA ZVEZDA

Doncic is suddenly prime candidate to go to Suns. If they draft #1, Kokoskov will maybe be forced to take local boy Ayton, but at #2, Doncic is 99% in Suns.
    previously known as Beno

Comment

Koskosov is esentially an american livning there for so many years.I read somewhere that he even got american citizenship.I just mention it cause all the media are like the first euro coach to become an NBA headcoach.Technically this might be true,but his case is a bit special.No different than all those assistant coaches who after years of working in the NBA get a headcoach gig.It'd be different if they got a euro coach straight from europe,i dont see this happening anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
        It'd be different if they got a euro coach straight from europe,i dont see this happening anytime soon.
        I don’t see it happening any time soon either. The transition is just too great. In most cases in Europe and similar to the NCAA, the coach is the top dog, big name key ingredient that a franchise is built with. It starts with them and ultimately a team’s success relies a lot on them. In the NBA they are secondary figures to the star franchise player of each team. It starts with the player and you build around them. In college and Europe I think you build a lot more around the coach and his system. Even if your name is Pat Riley, Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich you will always play a secondary role. Therefore I believe it would be an extremely difficult transition and much like excellent college coaches who have tried in the past probably won’t work.
        Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Bob View Post
          Doncic is suddenly prime candidate to go to Suns. If they draft #1, Kokoskov will maybe be forced to take local boy Ayton, but at #2, Doncic is 99% in Suns.
          Absolutely horrible weather

I hope that he'll end up somewhere with better conditions like Memphis.
          3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

Comment

Working...
          X

Debug Information