Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 FIBA Americas U18 Championship (June 10-16)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good win and fine performance of Canada over Argentina. Result never in danger for the hosts with Nembhard really impressive overall. Miller, Lawson and Brown were excellent too. Patterson under par (except for an amazing dunk in the first half) while the weakest were the bigs, in trouble against Caffaro. Farabello and Marcos (for his threes in Q2) good performers for Argentina as well.

Comment

Chile 74 Ecuador 62
      Canada 92 Argentina 75
      USA 105 Dominican Republic 73
      Puerto Rico 84 Panama 51

Big turnarounds in two of the games as Ecuador was up by as much as 16 in the first half, and Panama was actually leading 39-38 in the third quarter before collapsing.

US struggled in the first half, then scored 64 points in the second half. Didn't really put the game away until a 19-0 run early in the fourth. Not as physically dominant as you would usually expect from a US youth team.
      Originally posted by Fedfan
      Most ppl get childish when they lose.
      Originally posted by GuTO
      refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
        Chile 74 Ecuador 62
        Canada 92 Argentina 75
        USA 105 Dominican Republic 73
        Puerto Rico 84 Panama 51

Big turnarounds in two of the games as Ecuador was up by as much as 16 in the first half, and Panama was actually leading 39-38 in the third quarter before collapsing.

US struggled in the first half, then scored 64 points in the second half. Didn't really put the game away until a 19-0 run early in the fourth. Not as physically dominant as you would usually expect from a US youth team.
        Guys

what results are u expecting for tonight?

Comment

I think the US has this one under control:

refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Canada 115 Ecuador 75
            Puerto Rico 107 Dominican Republic 94
            Argentina 76 Chile 66
            USA 118 Panama 26

Panama was even more shorthanded tonight as their starting point guard was out injured, and as you can see from the above post it got ugly fast. Could have been worse if the US had hit wide open threes at a higher percentage.

Comment

Argentina 82 Ecuador 61
              Dominican Republic 90 Panama 57
              USA 115 Puerto Rico 71
              Canada 97 Chile 60

USA rolling from the fourth quarter of the first game onward. Argentina-DR and Chile-PR quarterfinals will be interesting with different styles of play between the Caribbean and South American teams.

Comment

Quarterfinals

Argentina 87 Dominican Republic 70
                Puerto Rico 68 Chile 65
                USA 132 Ecuador 55
                Canada 105 Panama 39

Controversial play in the PR-Chile game as PR's Vasuqez banked in a three as the shot clock expired to give PR a 66-61 lead. They never showed a replay but the Chileans certainly thought he didn't get the shot off in time. Chile had a chance to tie at the end but PR played good defense and forced a long contested three.

Comment

The US has done NO heavy lifting in this tournament at all...but I'll pause for caution against Argentina; we can't look pass them. If we hit a scoring drought and allow the Argentine's to run their stuff on offense, things could get interesting. I still think we'll win, but this will be the first real challenge of the tournament. I can see Puerto Rico giving Canada a little trouble, but Canada will eventually get the upper hand since talent and depth usually win out...and the homecourt advantage.

Comment

Dominican Republic 102 Ecuador 70
                    Chile 67 Panama 61

USA 104 Argentina 92
                    Canada 95 Puerto Rico 89

Didn't get to see any games today, sounds like the semifinals were closer than expected.

Comment

The US is running away with this game. They're up by 28 pts. at halftime. I was expecting this to be a hotly contested match-up given it's on Canadian soil and both teams mirror each-other in so many ways. Aside from the talent gap, the biggest difference I see is the coaching...I have to give Bill Self and his staff credit; this is undoubtedly the best coached underaged American team I've seen in years. This team is fundamentally sound, unselfish, has great decision making and defensively very good. Even though they've destroyed the competition and made the tournament predictable, it was still a joy to watch this team play.
                      Last edited by Federoy; 06-17-2018, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Just watched the replay, it was a huge final performance from US team, with defense, passing and especially great team play, amazing for such young age (kudos to the coaching staff). Interestingly, this relatively unheralded team performed better than, to say, the U18 team winner in 2016 which was more loaded of highly ranked prospects. In this title game Robinson-Earl (just ranked #34 in 2019 class by ESPN) was notably impressive, with a perfect 7/7 shooting and strong rebounding. I thought Canada more competitive after watching some of their prelim games, in the end Argentina proved to be the hardest competitor to US team.

All-Five: Nembhard, Caffaro, Anthony, White and Grimes (MVP).

Comment

Originally posted by carlo View Post
                          Just watched the replay, it was a huge final performance from US team, with defense, passing and especially great team play, amazing for such young age (kudos to the coaching staff). Interestingly, this relatively unheralded team performed better than, to say, the U18 team winner in 2016 which was more loaded of highly ranked prospects. In this title game Robinson-Earl (just ranked #34 in 2019 class by ESPN) was notably impressive, with a perfect 7/7 shooting and strong rebounding. I thought Canada more competitive after watching some of their prelim games, in the end Argentina proved to be the hardest competitor to US team.

All-Five: Nembhard, Caffaro, Anthony, White and Grimes (MVP).
                          Agreed. This is probably the best coached US team I've seen since the 2013 U-19 World Championship. This squad played with cohesion, unselfishness, intensity and great basketball IQ, which is rare for an underage US team that hadn't played together for long. I believe Canada is a better team than the result, but the spotlight of playing at home made them play faster with more intensity than necessary, resulting in terrible shot selection and rushed FG attempts; the US exploited their every mistake. I expect them to be better prepared next summer during the U-19 championship. The Argentines usually give the US more trouble because they play more of a European-style: half-court basketball, limit the amount of turnovers, foul the US on fastbreaking/transition opportunities, and stretch the US defensively with spacing and backdoor cuts.
                          Last edited by Federoy; 06-17-2018, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information