Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Pre-World Cup friendlies

From the highlights I was pretty impressed with Spain's ball movement. Gasol had a fantastic game, he won't shoot threes like that and will get gassed physically likely if they will play massively through him, but if Lull and Gasol will bring their A game Spain still pretty fun team as Rudy also still alive as a veteran. To me the biggest question is how much Juan Hernangómez can contribute. They need a stud at 4, but it seems he still will be shaky and up and down player. I'm not yet really convinced teams like Greece and France has an edge over Spain.

USA seems to be agile and mobile. Knocks down shots with comfort. Their main competitors Serbia would want to have a bit more stronger defensive team at 2-4. I really would like to see someone testing USA physically. This is not highly experienced team even if such players as Middleton and Lopez seen it all. I am wondering if this USA team can get shaky psychologically when faced tough and organised defence. But I don't really know that kind of team now, except maybe France.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

this current US team looks to be playing the same style of high octane all court pressure basketball like all recent it's reincarnations, just with less talent all around. Meaning that only teams with elite ballhandlers and backcourt play will be able to challenge them, since they will be running and gunning non stop all the time. France, Serbia, Greece seem like the only real challengers to beat them anyway with their combination of stiffling defense, length and size to match up defensively

I don't know where all this hype around France is coming from. How you seen their friendly games? Right now I think Germany is a stronger side. France has lost Heurtel and his PG situation is pretty bleak at the moment. Yesterday they played mighty old Brazil. Albicy and Ntkilina combined for 4 points and 3 assists. They played so poorly Collet was forced to switch ballhandling duties to De Colo for the majority of the game. Batum and Fournier didn't have a good game either (16 points on 18 shots), and the day was saved thanks to Gobert and Poirier trashing all Brazil's bigs. Behind the starting lineup of De Colo - Fournier - Batum - Moerman - Gobert there's very little depth. Only Poirier and maybe Toupane can be consistent contributors.

This evaluation is not based on one game. The other day they faced Montenegro and their guard play was awful as well. Do you know who Montenegro's starting PG is? Me neither, but did better than Albicy and Ntkilina. And all of France's bigs got their hands full with Vucevic and Dubljevic. Batum and Fournier saved the day by sinking 6 of 10 three-pointers. And of course they lost against Turkey.

So, first game of the tournament, won't be surprised if Germany gets the win.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Spain is not that deep. Back in the day they could go 10 deep talent wise with ease. This team is about their top 6 or 7 guys and some of them are really up there in age. They are good but unlike Serbia, and to a lot lesser degree Greece and France they don’t really worry me in a knockout game. They have a nice draw and will cruise to the semifinals where I think they will get eliminated.
    Who stood out on both sides? Was there any defensive intensity, or just a shooting contest?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    I don't know where all this hype around France is coming from. How you seen their friendly games? Right now I think Germany is a stronger side. France has lost Heurtel and his PG situation is pretty bleak at the moment. Yesterday they played mighty old Brazil. Albicy and Ntkilina combined for 4 points and 3 assists. They played so poorly Collet was forced to switch ballhandling duties to De Colo for the majority of the game. Batum and Fournier didn't have a good game either (16 points on 18 shots), and the day was saved thanks to Gobert and Poirier trashing all Brazil's bigs. Behind the starting lineup of De Colo - Fournier - Batum - Moerman - Gobert there's very little depth. Only Poirier and maybe Toupane can be consistent contributors.

This evaluation is not based on one game. The other day they faced Montenegro and their guard play was awful as well. Do you know who Montenegro's starting PG is? Me neither, but did better than Albicy and Ntkilina. And all of France's bigs got their hands full with Vucevic and Dubljevic. Batum and Fournier saved the day by sinking 6 of 10 three-pointers. And of course they lost against Turkey.

So, first game of the tournament, won't be surprised if Germany gets the win.
    France will be all right once the meaningful games start - I trust their experience and pedigree much more than Germany's, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Serbian_Layup View Post
    Who stood out on both sides? Was there any defensive intensity, or just a shooting contest?
    For Spain, I think the best player of the game was Rubio. He controlled the tempo and played very good defence. His shot was off, though. Marc showed his touch from the outside and exposed Team USA bigs, specially Plumlee. Llull played a good game as well, considering he's still not 100% physically. The Hernangómez brothers had a very humbling night, and I hope the message got through to them.

In the last roster spot audition, Oriola and Ribas got a clear advantage over the rest. As I said in a previous post, Colom, Rabaseda, Beirán and Diop are just not built for this kind of matches.

As for defence, nothing remarkable. Both teams tried, without going all out. Spain set a 3-2 zone for a while and gave USA some trouble. Otherwise just man-to-man. Team USA switched a lot, but Spain's bigs did not take advantage of mismatches.

Another thing that called my attention was the lack of post-up game among USA players. Bigs stayed mostly outside of the paint and most of their baskets were either putbacks or long jumpers.
    Last edited by Darrell Armstrong; 08-17-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    France will be all right once the meaningful games start - I trust their experience and pedigree much more than Germany's, that's for sure.
    Experience and pedigree is nice and all, but only a handful of players in this current roster qualify for both. I mean, what pedigree do you find in a lineup of Albicy - TLC - M'Baye - Labeyrie - Lessort?

I've just seen the long highlights (all made baskets) of USA - Spain game. Spain has enough offensive firepower to cause big problems to any team, and they tidied up their defense a little in the second half, but the combination of size and skill from USA guys make them deadly as they can score with ease when they play together. I don't see how any team other than maybe Serbia can beat them.

By the way, a question: Why was Kuzma booed? I don't see why Anaheim was a place he wasn't liked. Kings fans?

Another remark, Donovan Mitchell seems bulkier compared to playoffs. Summer was good for him, it seems
    Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
    Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
    Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
    Şampiyonluk gelince

Australia -Canada,starts on 11-30 by CET ,live on Fiba Youtube channel .

Quote Originally Posted by vivo View Post
    By the way, a question: Why was Kuzma booed? I don't see why Anaheim was a place he wasn't liked. Kings fans?
    It was the hair. Definitely.

Canada is preetty weakened by absences of Wiggins,Barret,Thompson,Murray ,Olynik and Alexander.Missings 6 great players ,cannot afford anyone national team,excluding Usa. So,Canada probably will not place in quarter-final.About Australia reached maximum on Olympic Games 2016,Simmons doesnt play ,Bogut and Baynes are old ,except them there are Mills,Dellavedova,Bolden,Ingles which are on relative high level ,other playing in Australia ,they also doesnt have big chances for quarter-finals,where the opponents are Lithuania and France.
    Last edited by Nemanja; 08-17-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vivo View Post
    They're not boing him, They are chanting "Kuuuuuuuuuuzzzz"

Quote Originally Posted by Serbian_Layup View Post
    For what it was I think the defensive intensity was at en expected level. The US was very sloppy and committed many unforced errors. Bad passes. It looked like they can score at will as long as they got a shot up. Illustrated by the fact that Spain had 20 rebounds in the entire game.i thought Rubio and Llull looked good. Gasol padded his stats with a couple of garbage time final minute threes and did most of his work against Plumlee who won’t be a key USA big or even make the team at all. I thought Spain would have made a run at some point and gotten it under a 3 possession game but never did.
    They just don’t have a lot of depth. I think they will have problem scoring moving forward. Gasol and Llull shot a combined 6-9 from 3 and that’s not going to happen again. I didn’t learn anything about the US that I didn’t already know. Middleton and Tatum are phenomenal shooters, Kemba and Mitchelll are excellent scorers and the big duo of Turner and Lopez will be just fine. When it counts they will get a combined 35-38 of the minutes and not the 24 that they got in this game.

It’s funny and this has been going on for as long as NBA players have been participating in FIBA. The mindset and culture between the two. In the final minutes of an already decided game the US player mentality is to shut it down, not really look to score and play the time game. But the FIBA mentality effected mainly by the fact that point differential matters in their culture always play it till the end. Is funny teams smell blood and always seem to notice a USA letdown and turn it up even more. It happens time and time again. This game with Spain was +15 with 1 minute to go yet got a nice cosmetic single digits final score. Very similar to 2016 Olympic semifinal vs Spain when again the final score was closer than the reality of the situation.

Much is being made of Harrison Barnes experience because he was on ‘16 Olympic gold medal team. That’s so silly.
    He was the 12th man and barely played. Only 4th quarter garbage time. I wouldn’t rule out him even getting cut.
    I can see a scenario where Popovich brings Plumlee as the third center just for injury insurance purposes and also selects
    Joe Harris over Barnes as well.

I wil writte one more time . Has anybody full game video replay from tournament in France?

Nothing really unexpected from the USA v Spain friendly. Spain lacks bench depth and those in the last positions of the rotations lack enough mobility, athleticism or reliable shooting to be used against top teams. The Hernangómez Bros will have to produce much more and i'm afraid that Claver won't ever be the half as good as Carlos Jiménez was a few years ago. If the final score was -15, -10 or -5 is irrelevant.
    Last edited by HeinrichMohr; 08-17-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Who are the teams USA is facing next?

Quote Originally Posted by greenarcher View Post
    Who are the teams USA is facing next?
    2 games vs Australia in Australia and once vs Canada.

Serbia sucks big time at the 1st period.

Overall to ugly game so far.

Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast