2019 Batang Gilas U16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Artek View Post
    Philippine-born Indians are not interested in Cricket. There's a Fil-Indian league in the Philippines, but no Cricket league.

But hey, continue to isolate people who were born and raised in the Philippines, but are unfortunately non-citizens because of how expensive naturalization is.
    My bestfriends ( and ninongs and ninangs of my kid, as i am to theirs) are naturalized Pinoys BTW.

Comment

I hope this does not sound ridiculous, but I have an idea for the future national team.

Rather than rallying FIBA to relax the hagop rule, the SBP should push for the senate to revise our citizenship laws.

Currently, only a person with one citizen parent can be a natural-born Philippine citizen. People who were born and raised in the Philippines to two foreign parents are not citizens of the PH.

The SBP should advocate for jus soli - those who were born in the Philippines who at least have one parent who is a permanent resident shall be a Philippine citizen upon birth. People who carry the bronze ACR card ("native-born alien" card) at the moment should be allowed to elect Philippine citizenship. Any native-born alien who is under 16 and wants to play for the Philippines will be able to.

There are a good number of Philippine-born Indians (think of Karan Singhdole, but he's a model, not cager but he is tall) who can be our tall men in basketball, but unfortunately, most of them are obky oermanent residents, not citizens.

Most Indians in the Philippines are Northern Indians (Punjabi, Sindhi) so they are tall and have beefy frames.
      Good idea. Hope our senates can discussed this.

Problem is our senate takes too long in every topic they discuss.

Comment

I hope this does not sound ridiculous, but I have an idea for the future national team.

Rather than rallying FIBA to relax the hagop rule, the SBP should push for the senate to revise our citizenship laws.

Currently, only a person with one citizen parent can be a natural-born Philippine citizen. People who were born and raised in the Philippines to two foreign parents are not citizens of the PH.

The SBP should advocate for jus soli - those who were born in the Philippines who at least have one parent who is a permanent resident shall be a Philippine citizen upon birth. People who carry the bronze ACR card ("native-born alien" card) at the moment should be allowed to elect Philippine citizenship. Any native-born alien who is under 16 and wants to play for the Philippines will be able to.

There are a good number of Philippine-born Indians (think of Karan Singhdole, but he's a model, not cager but he is tall) who can be our tall men in basketball, but unfortunately, most of them are obky oermanent residents, not citizens.

Most Indians in the Philippines are Northern Indians (Punjabi, Sindhi) so they are tall and have beefy frames.
        Made me cringe. Revising Citizenship laws require amending the constitution .
        DO or DO NOT there is no TRY... yoda

Comment

• Originally posted by hoopaddict View Post
          You prefer to stick to naturalizing, by senate at that, American athletes who, most of the time, are nearing their age of retirement? It's such a band aid solution. Also, scouting for "Filipino" talents abroad costs money. All these money are better off used to pay world-class and competitive basketball trainers.

We've been doing the foreign-born "Fil-Am" thing for many years now and it's not working. The minimally Fil-Am centennial team even did better than the Fil-Am dominated national team.

Not to mention, many foreign-born Fil-Ams are culturally less Filipino than native-born aliens.

We're so hyped up by naturalizing someone who isn't culturally Filipino, while those who have become culturally Filipino but legally not Filipino are sidelined.

The Philippines is not only missing basketball talents with this one, but also skilled native-born aliens who are prevented to take licensure exams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dotch View Post
            My bestfriends ( and ninongs and ninangs of my kid, as i am to theirs) are naturalized Pinoys BTW.
            There are those who naturalize, but only if they can afford it. There are many native-born aliens who can't simply because naturalization is too expensive. It's almost half a million pesos.

Comment

You prefer to stick to naturalizing, by senate at that, American athletes who, most of the time, are nearing their age of retirement? It's such a band aid solution. Also, scouting for "Filipino" talents abroad costs money. All these money are better off used to pay world-class and competitive basketball trainers.

We've been doing the foreign-born "Fil-Am" thing for many years now and it's not working. The minimally Fil-Am centennial team even did better than the Fil-Am dominated national team.

Not to mention, many foreign-born Fil-Ams are culturally less Filipino than native-born aliens.

We're so hyped up by naturalizing someone who isn't culturally Filipino, while those who have become culturally Filipino but legally not Filipino are sidelined.

The Philippines is not only missing basketball talents with this one, but also skilled native-born aliens who are prevented to take licensure exams.
              I do not prefer, it is what it is. With the political environment we have now amending the constitution is next to impossible and what the hell do you tell the congress? " Hey lets amend the constitution so we save money and we will have more basketball talent"lol .... and also whatever you do, FIBA will still impose the 16 and under rule.They dont really care about each countries' law on citizenship. It defeats the purpose on having that rule in their book.
              DO or DO NOT there is no TRY... yoda

Comment

There is a chance that angelo kouame might declare as a local by fiba, if this happen, it will become more easier for foreigner born and raised here in the philippines to get a clearance to fiba as local players

Comment

• Originally posted by hoopaddict View Post
                  lol true. at this point is laughable amending the constitution.
                  The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marlon View Post
                    There is a chance that angelo kouame might declare as a local by fiba, if this happen, it will become more easier for foreigner born and raised here in the philippines to get a clearance to fiba as local players
                    Technically Koume was not raised here

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                      lol true. at this point is laughable amending the constitution.
                      What can be realistically to do is to let the naturalized players to play in pba, mpbl and pba d-league as locals. If these leagues insist their rule, challenge the constitutionality of the same before our courts should be the option. Letting them play here gives them more reason to stay here and accept the naturalization. They also want a career post-gilas and allowing them in our local leagues as locals make sense (that will be their perks aside from money consideration).

Also, the children of these np's conceived after naturalization are considered filipinos. No need to change our citizenship laws for the sake basketball.
                      Attack
                      defend
                      Unite

Comment

• OT: Philippine born Tim Tebow to play for us next month at the World Baseball Classics Qualifiers

https://sports.inquirer.net/387305/t...seball-classic

Comment

• Originally posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post
                          OT: Philippine born Tim Tebow to play for us next month at the World Baseball Classics Qualifiers

https://sports.inquirer.net/387305/t...seball-classic
                          I hope Clay Rapada may join the team again(?), now that Andrew Magno already confirmed his availability...https://www.philstar.com/sports/2020...rld-qualifiers

If only Tim Lincecum(if his available) can provide some inspiration alongside his namesake Tim Tebow..the presence of those two players may provide some inspiration to those UAAP and NCAA boys who will join the trip at Tucson, Arizona.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZIMATAR View Post
                            Technically Koume was not raised here
                            But he only learned the game here so technically, he is considerably a home grown talent

Comment

• Is Sage Tolentino recruitment a lost cause already? Any news?
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by yogaflame View Post
                                Is Sage Tolentino recruitment a lost cause already? Any news?
                                Until SBP and Gilas confirm his passport and eligibility, he is still another fil foreign player that got away.

Hope SBP is doing their job quietly. A lot of posters here said they will not release their moves in media.

So I hope their silent moves can recruit sage in the right time

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information