Page 109 of 112 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 2225

Thread: 2019 Batang Gilas U16

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    https://twitter.com/abscbnsports/sta...52131810357251

Jake Figueroa highlights, people can form their own opinions but I think hes a low ceiling player, talented yes but I don't know if his game translates in Fiba.
    Reminds me of Rey Evangelista

Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    Good for the Philippine National Cricket Team.
    Philippine-born Indians are not interested in Cricket. There's a Fil-Indian league in the Philippines, but no Cricket league.

But hey, continue to isolate people who were born and raised in the Philippines, but are unfortunately non-citizens because of how expensive naturalization is.

Keep on naturalizing 35 year old foreigners who never grew up in the Philippines and be limited by FIBA rules

Quote Originally Posted by Artek View Post
    Philippine-born Indians are not interested in Cricket. There's a Fil-Indian league in the Philippines, but no Cricket league.

But hey, continue to isolate people who were born and raised in the Philippines, but are unfortunately non-citizens because of how expensive naturalization is.
    My bestfriends ( and ninongs and ninangs of my kid, as i am to theirs) are naturalized Pinoys BTW.

I hope this does not sound ridiculous, but I have an idea for the future national team.

Rather than rallying FIBA to relax the hagop rule, the SBP should push for the senate to revise our citizenship laws.

Currently, only a person with one citizen parent can be a natural-born Philippine citizen. People who were born and raised in the Philippines to two foreign parents are not citizens of the PH.

The SBP should advocate for jus soli - those who were born in the Philippines who at least have one parent who is a permanent resident shall be a Philippine citizen upon birth. People who carry the bronze ACR card ("native-born alien" card) at the moment should be allowed to elect Philippine citizenship. Any native-born alien who is under 16 and wants to play for the Philippines will be able to.

There are a good number of Philippine-born Indians (think of Karan Singhdole, but he's a model, not cager but he is tall) who can be our tall men in basketball, but unfortunately, most of them are obky oermanent residents, not citizens.

Most Indians in the Philippines are Northern Indians (Punjabi, Sindhi) so they are tall and have beefy frames.
    Good idea. Hope our senates can discussed this.

Problem is our senate takes too long in every topic they discuss.

I hope this does not sound ridiculous, but I have an idea for the future national team.

Rather than rallying FIBA to relax the hagop rule, the SBP should push for the senate to revise our citizenship laws.

Currently, only a person with one citizen parent can be a natural-born Philippine citizen. People who were born and raised in the Philippines to two foreign parents are not citizens of the PH.

The SBP should advocate for jus soli - those who were born in the Philippines who at least have one parent who is a permanent resident shall be a Philippine citizen upon birth. People who carry the bronze ACR card ("native-born alien" card) at the moment should be allowed to elect Philippine citizenship. Any native-born alien who is under 16 and wants to play for the Philippines will be able to.

There are a good number of Philippine-born Indians (think of Karan Singhdole, but he's a model, not cager but he is tall) who can be our tall men in basketball, but unfortunately, most of them are obky oermanent residents, not citizens.

Most Indians in the Philippines are Northern Indians (Punjabi, Sindhi) so they are tall and have beefy frames.
    Made me cringe. Revising Citizenship laws require amending the constitution .
    DO or DO NOT there is no TRY... yoda

Quote Originally Posted by hoopaddict View Post
    You prefer to stick to naturalizing, by senate at that, American athletes who, most of the time, are nearing their age of retirement? It's such a band aid solution. Also, scouting for "Filipino" talents abroad costs money. All these money are better off used to pay world-class and competitive basketball trainers.

We've been doing the foreign-born "Fil-Am" thing for many years now and it's not working. The minimally Fil-Am centennial team even did better than the Fil-Am dominated national team.

Not to mention, many foreign-born Fil-Ams are culturally less Filipino than native-born aliens.

We're so hyped up by naturalizing someone who isn't culturally Filipino, while those who have become culturally Filipino but legally not Filipino are sidelined.

The Philippines is not only missing basketball talents with this one, but also skilled native-born aliens who are prevented to take licensure exams.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    My bestfriends ( and ninongs and ninangs of my kid, as i am to theirs) are naturalized Pinoys BTW.
    There are those who naturalize, but only if they can afford it. There are many native-born aliens who can't simply because naturalization is too expensive. It's almost half a million pesos.

You prefer to stick to naturalizing, by senate at that, American athletes who, most of the time, are nearing their age of retirement? It's such a band aid solution. Also, scouting for "Filipino" talents abroad costs money. All these money are better off used to pay world-class and competitive basketball trainers.

We've been doing the foreign-born "Fil-Am" thing for many years now and it's not working. The minimally Fil-Am centennial team even did better than the Fil-Am dominated national team.

Not to mention, many foreign-born Fil-Ams are culturally less Filipino than native-born aliens.

We're so hyped up by naturalizing someone who isn't culturally Filipino, while those who have become culturally Filipino but legally not Filipino are sidelined.

The Philippines is not only missing basketball talents with this one, but also skilled native-born aliens who are prevented to take licensure exams.
    I do not prefer, it is what it is. With the political environment we have now amending the constitution is next to impossible and what the hell do you tell the congress? " Hey lets amend the constitution so we save money and we will have more basketball talent"lol .... and also whatever you do, FIBA will still impose the 16 and under rule.They dont really care about each countries' law on citizenship. It defeats the purpose on having that rule in their book.
    DO or DO NOT there is no TRY... yoda

There is a chance that angelo kouame might declare as a local by fiba, if this happen, it will become more easier for foreigner born and raised here in the philippines to get a clearance to fiba as local players

Quote Originally Posted by hoopaddict View Post
    lol true. at this point is laughable amending the constitution.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
    There is a chance that angelo kouame might declare as a local by fiba, if this happen, it will become more easier for foreigner born and raised here in the philippines to get a clearance to fiba as local players
    Technically Koume was not raised here

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsuperman View Post
    What can be realistically to do is to let the naturalized players to play in pba, mpbl and pba d-league as locals. If these leagues insist their rule, challenge the constitutionality of the same before our courts should be the option. Letting them play here gives them more reason to stay here and accept the naturalization. They also want a career post-gilas and allowing them in our local leagues as locals make sense (that will be their perks aside from money consideration).

Also, the children of these np's conceived after naturalization are considered filipinos. No need to change our citizenship laws for the sake basketball.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

OT: Philippine born Tim Tebow to play for us next month at the World Baseball Classics Qualifiers

https://sports.inquirer.net/387305/t...seball-classic

Quote Originally Posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post
    OT: Philippine born Tim Tebow to play for us next month at the World Baseball Classics Qualifiers

https://sports.inquirer.net/387305/t...seball-classic
    I hope Clay Rapada may join the team again(?), now that Andrew Magno already confirmed his availability...https://www.philstar.com/sports/2020...rld-qualifiers

If only Tim Lincecum(if his available) can provide some inspiration alongside his namesake Tim Tebow..the presence of those two players may provide some inspiration to those UAAP and NCAA boys who will join the trip at Tucson, Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIMATAR View Post
    Technically Koume was not raised here
    But he only learned the game here so technically, he is considerably a home grown talent

Is Sage Tolentino recruitment a lost cause already? Any news?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Is Sage Tolentino recruitment a lost cause already? Any news?
    Until SBP and Gilas confirm his passport and eligibility, he is still another fil foreign player that got away.

Hope SBP is doing their job quietly. A lot of posters here said they will not release their moves in media.

So I hope their silent moves can recruit sage in the right time

Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Until SBP and Gilas confirm his passport and eligibility, he is still another fil foreign player that got away.

Hope SBP is doing their job quietly. A lot of posters here said they will not release their moves in media.

So I hope their silent moves can recruit sage in the right time
    We need Chooks to Go help
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsuperman View Post
    We dont have to amend the constitution to hasten up the process of naturalization afaik.All that congress has to do is to make a new law repealing the Republic Act 9139, otherwise known as “The Administrative Naturalization Law of 2000”,the congress may reduce the qualifications from 10 years to 3 (for example).
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

If you recall my previous post:

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    If the teams on each pot are based on current world ranking, we will have the following:

Pot 1

Australia
    China
    Korea
    Japan

Pot 2

Iran
    New Zealand
    Philippines
    Chinese Taipei

Pot 3

Lebanon
    India
    Kazakhstan
    Kuwait

Pot 4

Thailand
    Indonesia
    Syria
    Saudi Arabia
    Using a variant of the Guyon system and assuming FIBA will use the same playoff format as the previous U16 tourney, a possible set of groups will be as follows:

Group A

Australia
    New Zealand
    Kuwait
    Syria

Group B

China
    Iran
    Kazakhstan
    Saudi Arabia

Group C

South Korea
    Chinese Taipei
    India
    Thailand

Group D

Japan
    Philippines
    Lebanon
    Indonesia

And assuming no upsets based on FIBA ranking and not on current team strength, the playoffs might look something like this:

Australia - CT/Lebanon
    Japan - Iran/Kuwait
    Korea - NZ/KAZ
    China - BG/India

As someone else mentioned before, our best hope of winning top 4 in this year's U16 tourney is avoiding AUS, NZ, Korea, and China until the semifinals. If only we can be drawn away from these teams it's much better for our current team.
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon View Post
    Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Page 109 of 112 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast