2019 Batang Gilas U16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by qwertyz View Post
    Theres actually a reason why we struggle securing top FilAms. We’ve only secured the services of Euro (Dalph/Edu bros), Australian (Amos/Heading) and Canadian (Wright/Norbert) based players. I mean who was the last highly recruited fil-am that we secured for either youth team or mens team?

Lets not feel bad about it since a lot of National Teams of other countries have a hard time recruiting their top youth players that are based in the US. Since FIBA is usually AAU season. Thon Maker talked more about this in an interview. Only difference is that other countries have them as eligible players meanwhile we have ineligible players. Because they actually send their own local kids to the US. Meanwhile we try and harvest US based players to play locally.
    This ultimately shows the sad reality of producing talent domestically. Why don't we do more to send our local talents abroad instead of relying US-born and raised Pinoys?

The Kai and Cholo route is a good first step. We need more young players pursuing this path.
    GILAS WISHLIST:
    6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Our U16 Fil Foreign Prospects

1. Caleum Harris (His mother said in Ig that they are already working on getting caleum a passport)
      2. Zain Mahmood( He also said that He is working on his passport now)
      3. Jayden Harper( No reply on SBP. But he is with Kai in EWP. Hope Kai and Cholo can convince him)
      4. Vyctorious Miller ( Looks like slim to no chance to get him. No response and replies)

I will be happy getting Harris and Mahmood. But I hope we can get Harper and Miller too

Comment

• Problem recruiting very good Fil-Am players is the timing of the tournament. Let us remember that most high school kids are still in school until after the Memorial Day holiday through the middle of a June. The really good players chasing college scholarship are also members of traveling AAU teams and tournament time to be scouted by college coaches begins in the month of July.

As far as I know, the Ramos brothers were in Manila during the spring break of Eli but they returned to the States for Eli to complete his senior year and participate in his high school graduation. Both brothers met the traveling Ateneo team directly in Greece for their summer training session before heading to Singapore and Australia for more live scrimmages. Geo Chiu played with Batang Gilas under coach Sandy before joining coach Tab in Greece. I believe Norbert Torres finally joined the Nokia Gilas team while the team was training in Vegas because of school schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
          Our U16 Fil Foreign Prospects

1. Caleum Harris (His mother said in Ig that they are already working on getting caleum a passport)
          2. Zain Mahmood( He also said that He is working on his passport now)
          3. Jayden Harper( No reply on SBP. But he is with Kai in EWP. Hope Kai and Cholo can convince him)
          4. Vyctorious Miller ( Looks like slim to no chance to get him. No response and replies)

I will be happy getting Harris and Mahmood. But I hope we can get Harper and Miller too
          Who among the four would still be eligible for next years U16(born 2005). Inthink Harper will turn 16 in a few months/days...Miller is just 14 at present so he shoukd be eligible...

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post

Maybe an interesting player if he grows a few more inches, still all Canadian is pretty impressive
            Lorence is a very good player even if he appears undersized. His athleticism, burst/speed and skills are all good-to-very-good. It's not like he's just athletic. Besides his quickness, mid-range game/jumper is his biggest strength. And as you can see he can take it to the hole and finish with contact. Don't forget about his defense; both on-the-ball and in passing lanes. And he's a playmaker too. Top 2 Fil-Canadians in his class in my province of Manitoba. If he grows a few more inches, all the better.
            Click the link to check us out -> REFRESH Basketball "Inspiring youth with our love of the game. Elite Filipino-Canadian teams based in Manitoba, Canada."

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post

I know he is another undersized guard but being a starter for Huntington prep in the states is pretty impressive considering Huntington prep is a pretty legit team with multiple D1 prospects churned out every year
              Mekhi isn't undersized anymore(he's 5'10ish now, his brothers are 6'0" & 6'1" btw, also his growth plates are still open) but regardless his great skill & shot would negate that, as it has at every level he's played at. Yes I'm biased ha.
              And you're right, it's very impressive alone that he plays with Huntington Prep. You can't just apply to play, you have to try out. And for Mekhi to make it to the team(as a 15 yr old) and play significant minutes, is something else.

My basketball lifestyle brand/organization/team(honestly hard for me to pinpoint what it truly is! lol) has a couple of old mixtapes of him from 2018-19 if you're interested in watching old footage. Actually Gilas Army included a bunch in their vid. He's improved a lot from the old mixtapes. And subsequently still improved even after the prep season this past year.

Part 1 https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ONyM9F476/
              Part 2 https://www.instagram.com/p/CAwdBTgFpu7/
              Click the link to check us out -> REFRESH Basketball "Inspiring youth with our love of the game. Elite Filipino-Canadian teams based in Manitoba, Canada."

Comment

• Originally posted by rzr_390 View Post
                Mekhi isn't undersized anymore(he's 5'10ish now, his brothers are 6'0" & 6'1" btw, also his growth plates are still open) but regardless his great skill & shot would negate that, as it has at every level he's played at. Yes I'm biased ha.
                And you're right, it's very impressive alone that he plays with Huntington Prep. You can't just apply to play, you have to try out. And for Mekhi to make it to the team(as a 15 yr old) and play significant minutes, is something else.

My basketball lifestyle brand/organization/team(honestly hard for me to pinpoint what it truly is! lol) has a couple of old mixtapes of him from 2018-19 if you're interested in watching old footage. Actually Gilas Army included a bunch in their vid. He's improved a lot from the old mixtapes. And subsequently still improved even after the prep season this past year.

Part 1 https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ONyM9F476/
                Part 2 https://www.instagram.com/p/CAwdBTgFpu7/
                After re-watching these old mixes, it's hard to truly see his skill because of the stylized edits/cuts, so here's one that doesn't have any fancy effects:

Comment

• Originally posted by rzr_390 View Post
                  After re-watching these old mixes, it's hard to truly see his skill because of the stylized edits/cuts, so here's one that doesn't have any fancy effects:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLaLMWCT13E
                  Nice, kind of reminds you of a young Kiefer

Comment

• Originally posted by sajubeads View Post
                    Who among the four would still be eligible for next years U16(born 2005). Inthink Harper will turn 16 in a few months/days...Miller is just 14 at present so he shoukd be eligible...
                    Maybe most of them will be overage in U16. But definitely theybcan help us in U17 ,U18,U19

Comment

• According to their father, Mason and Cj amos is very willing/interested in playing for the philippines.

And more impprtantly, both of them secured their passport before 16!!!!

Comment

According to their father, Mason and Cj amos is very willing/interested in playing for the philippines.

And more impprtantly, both of them secured their passport before 16!!!!
                        mason already enrolled in ateneo but went back here in australia. homesick. but he’ll return to RP and study with ateneo.. he was listed for u16 pool afaik..
                        Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                          mason already enrolled in ateneo but went back here in australia. homesick. but he’ll return to RP and study with ateneo.. he was listed for u16 pool afaik..
                          Yes. But now it is confirmed that CJ has a passport too.

Cj is said to be more talented than Mason

Comment

• I just learned that Mason and Cj has a younger brother.

Jordan Amos looks good too

Comment

• Originally posted by qwertyz View Post
                              First of all that wasn’t my point lol. I was saying its hard to secure US based players because they themselves are trying to secure college scholarships.

Im aware of coaches rewarding players. Well that was just not the case last u18/u19. Batang Gilas newbies like Ramirez, Oczon, Torres were included even Europe based Panopio. Then for the u19 Ramirez, Lina were cut and replaced by Spencer and NU core. So yeah I dont see anyone getting rewarded.
                              How much small guys is the quota for the Batang Gilas. The NU of Abadianio, Fortea , Oczon and Torres , should not have been included in the World Cup team other than they are holdovers of the Fiba Asia Team. We could have used the slot for the likes of Policarpio, Balunggay or Artest(NP ineligible), Abarrientos and even Eli Ramos...

Comment

https://youtu.be/b09Yx_U43HU

I just learned that Mason and Cj has a younger brother.

Jordan Amos looks good too
                                It would be fun some day having a Gilas team of Quartet of Edu bros plus the Trio of Amos brothers plus trio of Miller brothers...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information