Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2018 FIBA U17 World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    126-52. Now Argentina doesn't feel so bad about last year

USA with a much stronger performance today against a soft Croatian team. Started pressing in the middle of the second quarter and outscored them 33-2 to close the half. Jalen Green padded his numbers with 23 points (five threes) in the fourth quarter. Canada has upgraded their roster since last summer, and the gap in physical maturity has probably closed a bit with the extra year, but it'll still be a tall task for them to compete with the US tomorrow.

USA "made shots" chart through three quarters:
    https://imgur.com/a/DdB8jsw

Canada will get crushed by the USA. We have nothing inside to compete with that size, skill, athletism.
    It’s a shame we cross the USA in the semis. I’m not sure how that happens when we are the #2 ranked youth program according to FIFA rankings.

I’d love to see a semi matchup vs France to determine really who the second best team is in this tournament. I suspect France with this iteration. This Canada is deeper than most versions but lacks the star power. We are also fairly weak inside as seen by a poor effort rebounding vs an always gritty Australia. However good to see we can gut out a rough win versus a scrappy team even when we have an off day. That didn’t happen at the last u17 Worlds with a better team losing an upset to Turkey.

Hoping for a close game. But USA by 30 is my line.

OUMAR BALLO JUST PUT UP 32/32. This kid is the next African big great after Embiid and Bamba. He's also the youngest player in the entire tourney at 15, won't be 16 until next Friday!!! Averaged 21/18 for the tourney! I expect Duke, Kansas and Kentucky to offer ASAP.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17...c#tab=boxscore

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17...er/Oumar-Ballo

France reached the finale after a so so game. First half was solid, with a good control of the ball (till the third 1/4, the turnovers were limited to 10). Hayes was struggling a bit though, and well defended. Still, the bench provided a good boost as as expected, France has more depth.
    Second half was another story, at least the 4th quarter. Way too many turnovers, and maybe they felt a bit of pressure. The defense (especially transition defense) was pretty bad even though you got to give credit to Porto rico as they never gave up and pushed hard till the end. Maledon and Hayes hit clutch jumpers in the last minutes.

No matter what, this will still be the best result of France un U17.

They are in finale, and we will see if Canada will create an upset. Though honnestly everyone (Canadian included) are expecting the USA to win their semi finale.
    We have to make way less mistakes to be able to make the finale interesting. Our frontcourt was better (well, except Miyem) today, even though Eyango did not play again (and this is starting to p.. me off). He might be foul prone and clumsy, but he is a real intimidator.

Canada off to a great start, lets see if they can keep it up. 28-21
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    Sorry dude, but i have never supported so much a canadian team in my life ahah

But yeah, fun game. Canadians pretty good for their in and out game, and rebounding the ball. Turnovers are killing them though.

Well so much for that. US has outscored them by about 34 since I posted that. They're just at a level where if they're playing a good game, you might have to be perfect to beat them and Canada have way too many turnovers for that.

Well so much for that. US has outscored them by about 34 since I posted that. They're just at a level where if they're playing a good game, you might have to be perfect to beat them and Canada have way too many turnovers for that.
    I guess a 'good' result for us would be to lose for less than 30 points but obviously we are gonna get killed from your second chances unless there is a miracle.
    I don't see how we could have an in and out game considering how weak our frontcourt is, at least some of them are too soft to 'muscle' in in the key (like Miyem) and we most likely will have a too 'peripheral' - perimeter? -game'.
    Defensively our only chance is to make you work in the half court for 40', and pray that you can't block/alter our transition plays while limiting our turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    OUMAR BALLO JUST PUT UP 32/32. This kid is the next African big great after Embiid and Bamba. He's also the youngest player in the entire tourney at 15, won't be 16 until next Friday!!! Averaged 21/18 for the tourney! I expect Duke, Kansas and Kentucky to offer ASAP.

He is not the youngest player, there are Alperen Şengün (2002) and Adem Bona (2003) of Turkey, at least of my knowledge. Hovewer, I think he is the best upside of all (didn't know about USA team). Man, his body is already amazing, another Shaq maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by gockun View Post
    He is not the youngest player, there are Alperen Şengün (2002) and Adem Bona (2003) of Turkey, at least of my knowledge. Hovewer, I think he is the best upside of all (didn't know about USA team). Man, his body is already amazing, another Shaq maybe.
    There are some 2003 kids in tournament. Teammate of Diallo, DEmbele is the youngest one, and IMO the best one right now is Monterro for Dominican Republic, (number 3)

Turkey is taking 5th position by beating Australia. Overall, pleasing performance from the promising players; Kurtuldum (18.1 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 2.6 APG) and '02 born Şengün (15.9 PPG, 12.3 RPG, 2 APG). My favorite prospect from this generation Küçük has been overshadowed by these two and really couldn't manifest his talents on court enough. I can't say these guys are NBA-border talents for now, but if Kurtuldum fastens upon his deficiencies and straighten them, I would put him over there. I see some improvements in his game, not specifically talking for this tournament, but his general performance over this year.

I also have to say that the organization is terrible and shame on FIBA. We couldn't watch the last two games of Turkey as there were no stream at all. We see some news that the hall is cold enough to make some players sick. I hope this kind of organization won't be given to questionable countries who can't organize such prestigious tournament for youth basketball anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post

Mali has another excellent 16 year-old (allegedly) big man, N'Faly Dante, who plays in the US. They'd have been a force to be reckoned with if he were here too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Surprised Puerto Rico wound up with the Bronze, Canada blew it again.

Surprised Puerto Rico wound up with the Bronze, Canada blew it again.
    PR played great and wanted it more. Good for them, they were a fun team to watch. Canada has two key guys injured was clearly deflated and getting trashed by the US so badly. It was PRs day today.

And the “blew it again” dig....is that an oversight that the last youth World Championship we won, humiliating he USA along the ways in the semi finals? Maybe drop the “again”, eh?

All-Tournament:

Curbelo (PUR)
    Hayes (FRA)
    Green (USA) - MVP
    Carey Jr (USA)
    Ballo (MLI)

Fifth straight gold for USA, totally out of reach and one of the most dominant teams in U17 WC history. Coach Showalter is now 62-0 since U16/U17 tournaments start (2009).

France finished with best result ever, same for Puerto Rico really surprising with a great finish and good tournament of Turkey. I imagined Canada getting a better placement after a brilliant tournament start, they probably came out mentally exhausted from sf rout.

The greatest U17 selection ever. Right now unbelievably powerful but the promise is really what sticks out. Mobley, Green, Barnes have outwordly potential, freaky, then your most polished gut doesn‘t play with RJ. And then there is the B team, with the same Sport of potential with Wiseman, Edwards, Boston, Todd, Banchero, Johnson, Z. Harmon, Springer, Greg Brown and so on, 2020 and 2019 are really majestic High School classes. But watch out, 2022 and 2021 are not that bad with guys like Bates, Livingston and Banchero.

Congrats usa, deepest team of the tournament by far. Curious to see how Green will develop.

The finale was a no show from us unfortunately. Physically we can't compete, especially without a real frontcourt. We have been outmuscled for the whole game (in the mid of the 3rd 17 boards for France, 17 off boards for the us and 13 to's for us) with bad body language from out 'big' men (carene+miyem side by side are thiner than the lone stewart ^ ^).
    Our coach did not manage cazalon/Hayes/Maledon's playtime during the tournament, they played too much, especially since hayes & cazalon have been playing on both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    PR played great and wanted it more. Good for them, they were a fun team to watch. Canada has two key guys injured was clearly deflated and getting trashed by the US so badly. It was PRs day today.

And the “blew it again” dig....is that an oversight that the last youth World Championship we won, humiliating he USA along the ways in the semi finals? Maybe drop the “again”, eh?
    Yeah you're right, missed the U19 world cup last year. So that comment wasn't fair to the Canada youth program.

Besides the vast prospects pool available, USA-Bball Men's Developmental program under an experienced tutorship (Showalter) has imo paid off in preparing top 16/U17 teams at each 2-year cycle. This is running since nine years I think, and will hopefully continue.

This was a great tournament to watch. Congrats to Puerto Rico's team! Hopefully a lot of those guys will be in our senior team in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    well, we have a 7'1 center but he still skinny.
    U.S. high school system has several 7'3 plus guys, but they are not selected in team.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345