2021 AmeriCup pre-qualifiers draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any rosters showing up yet?

The first round starts in about a month - starting to see Eurobasket rosters show up out there that look fairly decent.

AmeriCup is just so meaningless nowadays, it is tough to tell what kind of players are going to play. I have no idea for Canada - seems like G-League guys (non-two ways) and some domestic players are the most likely result. But for I know FIBA is pressuring FIBA-tied clubs in Europe to release players to go back home and play.

I'm curious if any of Canada's Euro pros show up for this.

Comment

Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
      I don't know if you follow lower-level Asia-Pacific basketball, but how do you think these Caribbean and lower-tier South American teams will fare against SEA and lower-tier Oceania teams?
      Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
      I don't know if you follow lower-level Asia-Pacific basketball, but how do you think these Caribbean and lower-tier South American teams will fare against SEA and lower-tier Oceania teams?
      I'd put Uruguay and Mexico on par with Philippines, South Korea and China. So take that as a measuring stick. Mexico can be better than all three depending on if they get their best playing.
      Panama is almost in this group too (loads of US born players with Panamanian passports). USVI can be dangerous with their better players could beat most Asian teams too (but they are not deep). Bahamas with Heild and Ayton is on par with USVI (better?). I think Mexico and Uruguay would have easily qualified for the WC if in the Asia group - probably Panama too - they seem at that Jordan/Lebanon level. USVI just could not get its best players together constantly enough and had funding issues...but maybe.

Bahamas without Heild/Ayton is in the tier with Cuba, Columbia, Chile - all a big step down in FIBA Americas - this group who I think you are talking about lose to Asia's best but likely are better than Kazak, Qatar, Syria, India, Iraq, Taiwan, HK etc.).

Any other thoughts out there?

Comment

US to play all their home games in DC this round:
        Originally posted by Fedfan
        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
        Originally posted by GuTO
        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
          US to play all their home games in DC this round:
          https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...game-site.aspx

Looks like the USA will be pulling most of its roster from the G League.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
            Looks like the USA will be pulling most of its roster from the G League.
            No surprise. And it will most likely do the same for the next World Cup in 2023. As for the Americup the only time it was taken seriously was when an Olympic birth was at stake.
            Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
              No surprise. And it will most likely do the same for the next World Cup in 2023. As for the Americup the only time it was taken seriously was when an Olympic birth was at stake.
              I actually thought this was best case scenario here. It is still a massive talent pool very good players and considering the low profile of these games, I though they may not even get G League players.

If Canada can get a few of our better non-twoway G League players to play here, I'll be pretty stoked (Mychal Mulder, Lindell Wigginton, Tyler Ennis, Simi Shittu,).

I did notice the better non-EuroLeague players are showing up on European rosters that have already been announced. So maybe we get a few guys flying back.

Comment

Wow I'm making a eurobasket qualifier thread, and I had no idea the Americup was even doing it!

I think the rule is we have to send a team now to the Americup to qualify for the Olympics or World Cup, otherwise I imagine we'd entirely ignore it.

Really for Mexico, Canada, and the US this is just a matter of beating up the Bahamas for qualification.
                Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

US team for the first qualifying window:

Confirmed for the team are: Jaylen Adams (Wisconsin Herd/St. Bonaventure); Justin Anderson (Long Island Nets/Virginia); Cody Demps (Stockton Kings/ Sacramento State); Kyle Fogg (Beijing Royal Fighters, China/Arizona); Abdul Gaddy (Oklahoma City Blue/Washington); Devon Hall (Oklahoma City Blue/Virginia); Jalen Jones (Capital City Go-Go/Texas A&M); J.P. Macura (Canton Charge/Xavier); Eric Mika (Stockton Kings/Brigham Young); Ivan Rabb (Westchester Knicks/California) Levi Randolph (Canton Charge/Alabama); and James Webb (Iowa Wolves/Boise State).

Former NBA head coach Mike Fratello is serving as head coach of the USA Basketball Men’s National Team for the February 2020 FIBA AmeriCup qualifying games. Longtime NBA and college assistant coach Andy Greer and former NBA and USA Basketball athlete Othella Harrington are serving as USA assistant coaches.

Interesting that they are bringing Fogg in from China.
                  refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Really good 12 man roster for Canada considering the circumstances and stakes.
                    Many of our better European based non-EuroLeague pros. A few guys missing like Melvin Ejim (injured) Kyle Wiltjer, Tommy Scrubb, Dylan Ennis, Oliver Hanlan, Kenny Chery. But Andrew Nichsolon is a big get with the CBA suspended indefinitely.

Trae Bell-Haynes
                    Guard
                    6’1”
                    Unionville, ON
                    Helsinki Seagulls (Finland)

Aaron Best
                    Guard
                    6'4”
                    Scarborough, ON
                    Paok Thessaloniki (Greece)

Kaza Kajami-Keane
                    Guard
                    6’2”
                    Ajax, ON
                    Syntainics MBC Weissenfels (Germany)

Owen Klassen
                    Centre
                    6’10”
                    Kingston, ON
                    Telenet Antwerp Giants (Belgium)

Kyle Landry
                    Centre
                    6’10”
                    Calgary, AB
                    KK Buducnost VOLI Podgorica (Montenegro)

MiKyle McIntosh
                    Forward
                    6’7”
                    Pickering, ON
                    Filou Oostende (Belgium)

Conor Morgan
                    Forward
                    6’9”
                    Victoria, B.C.
                    Divina Seguros Joventut Badalona (Spain)

Andrew Nicholson
                    Forward
                    6’9”
                    Mississauga, ON
                    Guangzhou Loong Lions (China)

Duane Notice
                    Guard
                    6’2”
                    Woodbridge, ON
                    Raptors 905 (G League)

Dyshawn Pierre
                    Forward
                    6’6”
                    Whitby, ON
                    Banco Di Sardegna Sassari (Italy)

Kassius Robertson
                    Guard
                    6’3”
                    Toronto, ON
                    Lavoropiu Fortitudo Bologna (Italy)

Phil Scrubb
                    Guard
                    6'4"
                    Richmond, BC
                    Movistar Estudiantes Madrid (Spain)

Surprising as this is as good as our mid-season World Cup Qualifier teams. I bet the guys really bought into a mid-season trip home to see family and friends and then a little vacation in the DR.

Comment

Mexican federation has been suspended by FIBA but they will still be allowed to play Americup qualifiers:
                      The International Basketball Federation has suspended the Mexican Basketball Federation until at least March - but the men's national team may continu...

Dominican Republic 19-man roster:

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                        Really good 12 man roster for Canada considering the circumstances and stakes.
                        Kyle Landry
                        Centre
                        6’10”
                        Calgary, AB
                        KK Buducnost VOLI Podgorica (Montenegro)
                        I thought he had retired. Is he really an active player?

Comment

Originally posted by soulis79 View Post
                          I thought he had retired. Is he really an active player?
                          He has been retired from pro 5x5 for two years, but has been very active repping Canada for 3x3.
                          I guess he is in good enough shape to play.

He played in a number of WC Qualifiers and was fairly decent. Plus you take away the NBA, G League 2-ways, EuroLeague and he is among the better centers left over for Canada. I don’t know who would be better than Landry that is clearly available to play. Joel Anthony was a thought be he is now indeed fully retired. Dejan Kravic? But he seems to be in Serbia’s fold.

Comment

Domincan Republic announces its final 12 man roster for the upcoming Americup Qaulfier hom and home series.
                            Víctor Liz
                            Rigoberto Mendoza
                            Gelvys Solano
                            Eloy Vargas
                            Ronald Roberts Jr.
                            Juan Miguel Suero
                            Luis Montero
                            Ángel Delgado
                            Adris De León
                            A. Henríquez
                            M. J. Rhett
                            M. Dicent

This is a pretty good roster. Lots of guys from their summer World Cup team (6 of top 8 MPG players) including 3 starters & PPG leaders - Victor Liz, Elroy Vargas & Gelvis Solano. Rigoberto Mendoza, Luis Montero & Ronald Roberts had big roles off the bench. Plus some meaningful reinforcements in Delgado & Rhett

Recall the Dominican Republic beat Germany & Jordan at the 2019 FIBA World Cup. Lost a close one to Australia & was beaten handily by France & Lithuania. All in a better performance than Canada. Canada has a few bench players returning from the WC but no starters returning and really just role players in Keane, Klassen, Phil Scrubb and Morgan - none who really played key roles (maybe Scrubb). By that description the DR seems like a more formidable team and the the favorite in these games - but if you look at the talent of the individual players and the quality of clubs/Leagues they are playing for Canada seems to have a decisive advantage.

Together is seems these teams stack up well and we will likely see competitive games that could go either way.

Comment

USA 83
                              PR 70

US gave up a 30 point lead but hung on.
                              Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Didn't get to watch the US game but lol that was Puerto Rico's full squad.

Venezuela and Colombia both pulling off road upsets.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information