Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in this context, sacrifice = adjustment. Can we cite instances of adjustments that nba team owners made to accommodate NT?

Comment

• FIBA world cup 2023 phils ...japan and indonesia august 25-sept 10, 2023
      http://www.fiba.basketball/news/date...-aCR5clVwbqKeA

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
        Let's face it Junmar if ever included in 2023. will be like Asi last minute inclusion in 2011., I've actually no problems with that if there is an obvious need, it's not something we really need to decide and plan to do now..
        What needs to be decided for 2021 and 2022 is who will be playing in our games, obvious must in terms of bigs are :Kouame (especially if either Kai and AJ are absent for some games). The latter 2, then Go, Troy, Kobe and hopefully Baltazar.. Erram is just an interim reinforcement for some games
        Malabo for Junmar to be playing in 2021 and 2022
        Can Junmar even get back to his old form after that gruesome injury? Getting that kind of injury is not really good for a player of his size. Plus he's already aging.
        #FIRECHOTREYES!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
          Isn't the 2-conference PBA format a long time clamor of almost everybody? I think many posters here in IBN has been clamoring for that as far back as perhaps 8 years ago. I could sense that a number of big personalities in Philippine basketball, which may include a number of PBA coaches, have the honest-to-goodness belief that reducing the PBA season to 2 conference would benefit the National team. I think even people like coach Tim Cone, Allan Caidic, Alvin Patrimonio & Hector Calma (all of whom former National team players & coach), who are under SMC, would want a 2-conference-per-season format in the PBA. They just couldn't be vocal about it becoz that is contradictory to the interest of their employer.
          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
            in short, same sentiments as CYG here: https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/g...-a795-20200511

but don't you think it's a naive way of thinking? i mean, you are asking businessmen to sacrifice their business. of course there will be resistance. but it doesnt mean that they do not understand the objective of the SBP/Gilas program. its like telling coach tab to focus 2020 to 2022 for the development of the cadets in time for 2023, regardless of the results of the tournaments along the way. that's insane! we all understand that they are both important, and you cannot sacrifice one for the other.

same as for the PBA board. they cannot just sacrifice sales and revenue, their businessmen! that is how they measure their success. doesnt mean that they do not want to help, they still do but without sacrificing their main objectives.

i think how tab handled this as the program director is right on the line in terms of finding the middle ground for all stakeholders while remaining true with the basketball objectives that we are all set on. all the programs ive heard about are promising, hopefully the execution won't disappoint.
            As I've pointed out, everybody wants a good & fit body, but not everybody is willing to go diet & sweat it out in the gym.

PBA wants to help Philippine basketball. It still wants to represent Gilas team Pilipinas in international meets. It wants to be relevant with FIBA competitions. But PBA is not doing enough for the National team. PBA's support to the National team is only half-hearted. It is not willing to sacrifice "enough".

PBA is not open to some innovations or changes that are supposed to pave the way for an enough prepared & well trained National team. PBA's refusal to reduce its season to 2 conferences instead of 3 clearly demonstrates its half-hearted support to the National team.
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• "On the contrary, if the league wanted to, it could still have approximately the same number of games in a “compressed” season, meaning it can take seven to eight months to cover the same amount of games we usually cover in 11 to 12 months."

This for me is the most logical solution/proposal & something that the PBA people should should ponder/consider.

But I don't think PBA would be willing to reduce its season to 7 months. That would be impossible. I think the more realistic/feasible approach is reducing the PBA season to 9 or maybe 8 & 1/2 months. Anything less than that would be too much for those greedy people in the PBA.

Ang problema kasi eh, sanay na yung PBA with the 3-conference per season/10-month season format and they are already comfortable with it. They are earning more than enough money with such format, so why make changes? Its like asking someone who is used to walking up at 10 in the morning to wake-up at 5 in the morning.

Comment

• What the hell is the point of having multiple conferences anyway? Just create one whole season with playoffs then make an invitational cup like Jones cup. PBA is so outdated it's so crazy. No wonder why the gate attendance is poor there's no innovation in the league
                #FIRECHOTREYES!!

Comment

• Originally posted by B L A C K S U N View Post
                  What the hell is the point of having multiple conferences anyway? Just create one whole season with playoffs then make an invitational cup like Jones cup. PBA is so outdated it's so crazy. No wonder why the gate attendance is poor there's no innovation in the league
                  The point is PBA people think there's more money in a 3-conference format than a 2 or 1 conference format. Simple as that.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                    The point is PBA people think there's more money in a 3-conference format than a 2 or 1 conference format. Simple as that.
                    What about the well being of the players though. Playing a whole year without real off-season is not really healthy for any athlete. There's so many ways for them to gain profits. The problem is those boomers in the PBA have no real vision. They are stuck with same outdated format for decades now.
                    #FIRECHOTREYES!!

Comment

• player's union talaga katapat nyan. all this clamor for the format change but no one's really stepping up and championing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by B L A C K S U N View Post
                        What about the well being of the players though. Playing a whole year without real off-season is not really healthy for any athlete. There's so many ways for them to gain profits. The problem is those boomers in the PBA have no real vision. They are stuck with same outdated format for decades now.
                        Do you think "all" PBA teams really care enough about the well being or career longevity of their players? If they really do care then they would have proposed to shorten the extremely long season (which is around 10 months/season) many years ago. Yes, I think SMC do care about the career longevity of Junmar Fajardo knowing that a player like Junmar is rare. The same goes to Ginebra with Greg Slaughter & perhaps Japeth Aguilar. Its not in every year's rookie draft that you'll see a good size & skilled big man like a Fajardo, Slaughter or Japeth. But to the rest of the players, specially guards & swingmen, I don't think all PBA teams really care about player well being as most of them are expendable. If a SMB or Ginebra guard or a wingman becomes injury prone or maagang naglaos becoz of wear & tear, eh di itapon natin sa Columbia or Northport for a younger & fresher legs player.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
                          How Erram will be his age coming 2023? Is he will be his prime come 2023? maybe other prospects can replace him... hopefully CJ Perez will be still in Columbian until 2023.. It's hard to borrow him if he's in SMB camp come 2023... And also I hate to see this but Kiefer will be shoo in for 2023.. I think SBP will tag him as our team captain.. He is Chris Tiu in this version..
                          By that time, Poy (34) and Troy (31) will be our battle tested veterans. Parks, & CJ will be in their primes. Hopefully kai, aj, dalph are legitimately playing in the NBA by that time.

Comment

• "Ito lang ang kundisyon, kailangan payagan siya ng NBA team niya at kailangan payagan siya nung tournament, kasi baka hindi siya i-consider as local, i-consider siya as naturalized," Coach Yeng added.

The collective bargain agreement (NBA) may only release JC for the the WC and Olympics

FIBA as a NP

So yun he may be our 2023 NP
                            NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                            https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• In another interview Yeng says Kouame is a good player to naturalize for the windows and Asian games
                              NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                              https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                                Do you think "all" PBA teams really care enough about the well being or career longevity of their players? If they really do care then they would have proposed to shorten the extremely long season (which is around 10 months/season) many years ago. Yes, I think SMC do care about the career longevity of Junmar Fajardo knowing that a player like Junmar is rare. The same goes to Ginebra with Greg Slaughter & perhaps Japeth Aguilar. Its not in every year's rookie draft that you'll see a good size & skilled big man like a Fajardo, Slaughter or Japeth. But to the rest of the players, specially guards & swingmen, I don't think all PBA teams really care about player well being as most of them are expendable. If a SMB or Ginebra guard or a wingman becomes injury prone or maagang naglaos becoz of wear & tear, eh di itapon natin sa Columbia or Northport for a younger & fresher legs player.

they just refuse to think outside the box.

i understand that attendance always peaks during the playoffs so much so that if the PBA could make the playoffs a 15 game series, they probably would for the money.

realistically, the PBA can just have a 2 conference format and 1 season championship for the top 4 teams of the 2 conferences. this will eliminate the need for a 3rd conference (along with the logistics and operating expenses) without seriously affecting the pba's income because the season championship will act as an extension of the playoffs.

and btw, why are they still holding on to the 12 minute per quarter game length? even the euroleague has adopted the 10 minute per quarter FIBA standard. nobody wants to watch a long-@ssed basketball game anymore unless it's the early 2000's NBA.
                                Last edited by barok espinoza; 05-13-2020, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information