Page 154 of 181 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 3611

Thread: Fiba World Cup 2023 Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    Don't choose between Sage and Jayden, thats a sign of Filipino, subservient,3rd world, toxic trait of "ok na yan", be greedy! (sorry for the words but we are always limiting our selves like a slave) get that pwedeng pwede na, best scenario ideals.Its time to choose the best for us, and thats what we should aim in achieving. If I have to choose, i'll get them all, so i have more players to choose from.Besides its not impossible to get both of them if our leaders have the will to get them.Wala naman nagsasabi na, oy isa lang dyan ang pwede trans: nobody is limiting us to get both players.
    It is just a scenario, if only one of them would be FIBA-eligible in the future, I would prefer Jayden. Jayden is a tall wing like KD and Jayson Statum which the Gilas is lacking. As for Sage, he is like a duplicate of Kai Sotto and if would be FIBa-eligible also, he'll be a good back-up for Kai in the 5 position. And also we can't blame the SBP if a certain Fil-American didn't become FIBA-eligible if that person in the first place is not eligible to acquire a Philippine passport or Philippine citizenship..
    Last edited by tomcat; 09-17-2020 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    But that's a big IF bro. Kobe is what, about to turn 23 na ba? Based on his game with UP in last year's UAAP tournament, I'm really not that convinced of his game. Hope he has improved since then but with this pandemic which has hounded this country for 6 months now, Kobe Paras' (as well as other young cagers) development has been stymied. I think Kobe needs a specialize training program to focus on aspects of his game that needs improvement (like ballhandling, shooting & perimeter defense). Then he needs exposure to higher level competitions. UAAP & PBA D-League type of competitions won't be enough.

The way I see it, Kobe's development slowed down since he came home from the US in 2018. Well, I hope I'm wrong.
    Here is the thing though you can teach mindset, attitude and get a person straight, but you can't teach someone to grow taller, jump higher and be more athletic

You cannot tell Tamayo or Troy bilisin mo naman ang galaw mo or tumalon ka na mas mattaas lol

But that's a big IF bro. Kobe is what, about to turn 23 na ba? Based on his game with UP in last year's UAAP tournament, I'm really not that convinced of his game. Hope he has improved since then but with this pandemic which has hounded this country for 6 months now, Kobe Paras' (as well as other young cagers) development has been stymied. I think Kobe needs a specialize training program to focus on aspects of his game that needs improvement (like ballhandling, shooting & perimeter defense). Then he needs exposure to higher level competitions. UAAP & PBA D-League type of competitions won't be enough.

The way I see it, Kobe's development slowed down since he came home from the US in 2018. Well, I hope I'm wrong.
    Kaya nga bro, there are so many "if". If Kobe will be like this, if Jayden will be, if Lebron Lopez will be like that..

Kobe has been working out with Jolo Tamayo of Mavs Phenomenal. I think they had a mini training camp before with Ateneo boys Troy Malilin, Jawuan White, Thirdy Ravena, Jolo Mendoza, Isaac Go, Adrian Wong and Japeth Aguilar came with them too. Theres also a 21 year old 6'6 wing from FEU that I saw. Kenneth Maneze. Along with a couple of celebrites Ivan Jose (former eaglet turned rapper) and LA Aguinaldo. It got shut down though. But yeah as of August he was still training with them.

Mavs Phenomenal are known for developing handles. Not really that great shooters though probably except for Romeo.

Is Kobe a bad shooter or is he just taking bad shots?
    Is he a bad ball handler or is he just doing too much?
    Is he a bad defender or is he not coached hard enough.

These things have more to do with coaching and lack of expirence he hasnt played ball in a while prior to last year.
    He stands to up right while defending might be cause of high hips tho

Quite funny how the same people saying let's go euro ball are the very same ones now clamouring to copy current USA set up, all the funnier to think that team USA with that setup has failed miserably.

Add to the fun, one even trying to use the 2004 team that only won a bronze for his argument, blaming the loss on the "traditional PFs" he named as duncan and stoudomaire. Yes, Duncan did play four, but that was for the spurs that had david Robinson, wasn't 2004 team USA traditional PF, he played center ^ ^. Stoudomaire, yes. But how about redeem team 2008 that ripped the competition apart? Didn't it have traditional PF Carlos Boozer ^ ^
    “The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Is Kobe a bad shooter or is he just taking bad shots?
    Is he a bad ball handler or is he just doing too much?
    Is he a bad defender or is he not coached hard enough.

These things have more to do with coaching and lack of expirence he hasnt played ball in a while prior to last year.
    He stands to up right while defending might be cause of high hips tho
    We "forgot" to point out that he played off position too. But, to your point, id agree, given he matures, he'd make a decent SF for gilas.
    “The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

If Vyctorius Miller commits to Gilas and maintains his rankings, he might end up being a starting wing for 2023.

By the looks of it, Kobe seems to have nice penetration, decent shooting and agility in offense and defense. He also as good court vision for his teammates. He resembles more like a Danny Seigle but with better passing ability.

Sa akin lang, I think we can use him as a combo forward (3/4) depending on the situation but i will put him more as a 4 in defense because of his timing as a back up defender in the interior and he is strong enough to defend bigger players. I see him as a utility player/energizer for Gilas the same way with Renaldo Balkman in Puerto Rico - 6'7 small forward that also plays as small ball power forward. I see Kobe doing the Renaldo Balkman's role.
    Last edited by ja.he; 09-17-2020 at 06:11 AM.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post

By the looks of it, Kobe seems to have nice penetration, decent shooting and agility in offense and defense. He also as good court for his teammates. He resembles more like a Danny Seigle but with better passing ability.

Sa akin lang, I think we can use him as combo forward (3/4) depending on the situation. I see him as a utility player/energizer for Gilas the same way with Renaldo Balkman in Puerto Rico - 6'7 small forward that also plays as small ball power forward. I see Kobe doing the Renaldo Balkman's role.
    He seems heavier last season, no? I think if Kobe would play like his 2017 self that would be his best version.

By the looks of it, Kobe seems to have nice penetration, decent shooting and agility in offense and defense. He also as good court for his teammates. He resembles more like a Danny Seigle but with better passing ability.

Sa akin lang, I think we can use him as combo forward (3/4) depending on the situation. I see him as a utility player/energizer for Gilas the same way with Renaldo Balkman in Puerto Rico - 6'7 small forward that also plays as small ball power forward. I see Kobe doing the Renaldo Balkman's role.
    yeah he fits with small ball line up we envision.. as long as he doesn’t get bullied inside.. team defense exist like zone.. for sure tab and the crew are watching the playoffs very closely and taking notes how it is being done..

even coach k used small ball line ups for USA.. it’s about how you used your personnel on both sides of the floor.. if tayshuan prince exist in today’s game, he is perfect for small ball teams as he plays good defense and decent shooting and can exploit mismatches..

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    20 years old AJ Edu is the better shotblocker right now than an 18 years old Kai, he has 1 year of NCAA D1 experience compare to Kai's stint with TSF. But potentially, Kai is better because of his 9'4 standing reach and can leap up to an 11' 11.5"(and improving)vertically, this means that Kai can swat shots as high as 12 feet..

I hope Kai lives up to that potential then. Shotblocking is more than just vertical leap and standing reach, although of course it is a big help if you are gifted on both aspects. Timing and reflexes (reaction time) is essential, and needless to say, the drive to swat those shots. From my observations, it is his reaction time that he needs to work on most.

Edu is an elite shotblocker even by D1 standards. That’s saying a lot considering he’s not the athlete that Japeth is. If Kai could reach this level of rim protection, then the block parties they hosted in the age group competitions live on.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by curtaincall View Post
    He seems heavier last season, no? I think if Kobe would play like his 2017 self that would be his best version.
    last year he was already trimmed down unlike the year he played for creighton we’re he his too bulky for his height that makes him slower..

Quote Originally Posted by curtaincall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    yeah he fits with small ball line up we envision.. as long as he doesn’t get bullied inside.. team defense exist like zone.. for sure tab and the crew are watching the playoffs very closely and taking notes how it is being done..

even coach k used small ball line ups for USA.. it’s about how you used your personnel on both sides of the floor.. if tayshuan prince exist in today’s game, he is perfect for small ball teams as he plays good defense and decent shooting and can exploit mismatches..
    Kobe, IMO, is strong enough to handle bigger opponents in defense and is quicker against them in offense. If a good coach used properly, he will surely deliver. In addition, he is also a good cutter and that matters in FIBA ball.

I think he will do better if paired by another mobile big like AJ, another utility wing like Dwight, shooter like Pogoy and an attacking guard like JC, 1GDL or CJ Perez.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

Kobe to me is a 3/4.

They didnt use him on the move a lot of times he was mostly just waiting on the wings.
    No plays of him catching on the move. Could be on Bo could be on him for not cutting. To his defense he plays too many mins.

Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    Here is the thing though you can teach mindset, attitude and get a person straight, but you can't teach someone to grow taller, jump higher and be more athletic

You cannot tell Tamayo or Troy bilisin mo naman ang galaw mo or tumalon ka na mas mattaas lol
    That's a given bro. Nobody here will say otherwise. Its obvious naman that Kobe was gifted with good physical attributes - awesome athleticism, mobility, size (he's a good size forward by Pinoy basketball standard). But where Kobe now stands in Philippine basketball is an indication that even with good physical attributes, a player still needs the right mindset & discipline to excel in the game.

I know some people won't be pleased with this but for me Kobe Paras at present has underachieved. I mean with all the physical attributes that he possesses & the training he got playing high school basketball in the US, I think he should be the best amateur Pinoy homegrown player right now next only to Kai Sotto. Yet, could Kobe P. even be considered among the top 5 Pinoy amateur ballers right now?

If Thirdy Ravena was gifted with a 6-foot-6 height, I think he would be a significantly better player than Kobe right now. I think if Calvin Oftana had the privilege of playing high school basketball in the US, he would be a significantly better wingman than Kobe. If CJ Perez is as athletic as Kobe & stands 6-foot-5 or 6-foot-6, I think he could be the best wingman in Asian basketball right now.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    Quite funny how the same people saying let's go euro ball are the very same ones now clamouring to copy current USA set up, all the funnier to think that team USA with that setup has failed miserably.

Add to the fun, one even trying to use the 2004 team that only won a bronze for his argument, blaming the loss on the "traditional PFs" he named as duncan and stoudomaire. Yes, Duncan did play four, but that was for the spurs that had david Robinson, wasn't 2004 team USA traditional PF, he played center ^ ^. Stoudomaire, yes. But how about redeem team 2008 that ripped the competition apart? Didn't it have traditional PF Carlos Boozer ^ ^
    More than anything, it is the lack of marquee talent that spelled doom for that lowly team USA. It would’ve been a completely different scenario if CP3, Harden, LBJ, Durant and Davis were there. Instead, they had to make do and send a plethora of second and third stringers like White, Harris, Plumlee etc. Coach knew what he was doing and had both options of going traditional (they had Lopez, Turner and Plumlee at disposal) or small. But a coach could only do so much depending on the pieces he had to work with.

The rest of the world has caught up albeit not exactly at the level USA is. A significant drop in talent could very well lead to these results. It is already proven in the past Team USA is not invincible even with a souped up roster, what more a team that would get obliterated by the players that simply didn’t choose to participate.

By the looks of it, Kobe seems to have nice penetration, decent shooting and agility in offense and defense. He also as good court vision for his teammates. He resembles more like a Danny Seigle but with better passing ability.

Sa akin lang, I think we can use him as a combo forward (3/4) depending on the situation but i will put him more as a 4 in defense because of his timing as a back up defender in the interior and he is strong enough to defend bigger players. I see him as a utility player/energizer for Gilas the same way with Renaldo Balkman in Puerto Rico - 6'7 small forward that also plays as small ball power forward. I see Kobe doing the Renaldo Balkman's role.
    Which for me is one of his main upside. As I've said before, Kobe owns among the quickest jab steps when driving to the basket. I see his jab steps to be even quicker than a Rayray Parks & a number of 6-foot-2/6-foot-3 wingmen in the PBA. Such quick jab steps enables him to easily drive past his defender.

One flaw I notice with the way Kobe drives to the lane is that masyadong mabilis yung steps nya as he is about to take-off for a shot. While it is a must to have a quick jab step so that you'll be able to drive past the 1st line of defense, a player should start to somewhat slow it down in his succeeding steps so that he has better control of his momentum. All a slasher needs is a quick 1st step para maiwan yung defender, but after that he needs to slowdown his steps. Pag masyadong mabilis pag atake mo sa basket, mas mahirap e control yung tira mo eh. As what experts say, a player doesn't really need to be fast/quick all the time. There are also times when you need to somewhat slow it down a bit.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    More than anything, it is the lack of marquee talent that spelled doom for that lowly team USA. It would’ve been a completely different scenario if CP3, Harden, LBJ, Durant and Davis were there. Instead, they had to make do and send a plethora of second and third stringers like White, Harris, Plumlee etc. Coach knew what he was doing and had both options of going traditional (they had Lopez, Turner and Plumlee at disposal) or small. But a coach could only do so much depending on the pieces he had to work with.

The rest of the world has caught up albeit not exactly at the level USA is. A significant drop in talent could very well lead to these results. It is already proven in the past Team USA is not invincible even with a souped up roster, what more a team that would get obliterated by the players that simply didn’t choose to participate.
    Yes, it wasn't an all star team but it still had more/better talents than the teams that beat them. It was more of an NT that played the opponents game instead of playing to its strength. It seems to me that USA basketball has seen how less talented European teams (but taller) have been giving them good competition, so they thought that by playing the same, they'd beat them with better talents. But, in truth, it's because these European NTs just have better preparation and chemistry because their programs have continuity. Worse, they copy wrongly. Individually, the trend for the Americans are tall players with flashy handles but cant play at the post. Hence the likes of Green could even bully these tall players. They're just tall but aren't real big men, just tall wingmen and it's not just me pointing that out, even kobe Bryant, apparently, had noticed. As opposed to typical European fours who arent that athletic and quick but while they are tall, they add to their post moves decent handles, outside shooting and good passing. While on team concept, team USA, 1 in 4 out putting natural wingmen at the four while the more successful European NTs have good sized, skilled fours, not wingmen converted into fours
    ― H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    Yes, it wasn't an all star team but it still had more/better talents than the teams that beat them. It was more of an NT that played the opponents game instead of playing to its strength. It seems to me that USA basketball has seen how less talented European teams (but taller) have been giving them good competition, so they thought that by playing the same, they'd beat them with better talents. But, in truth, it's because these European NTs just have better preparation and chemistry because their programs have continuity. Worse, they copy wrongly. Individually, the trend for the Americans are tall players with flashy handles but cant play at the post. Hence the likes of Green could even bully these tall players. They're just tall but aren't real big men, just tall wingmen and it's not just me pointing that out, even kobe Bryant, apparently, had noticed. As opposed to typical European fours who arent that athletic and quick but while they are tall, they add to their post moves decent handles, outside shooting and good passing.
    Team USA has long embraced the pace and space approach, nothing new really. They’ve been playing stretch 4s even in the past reiterations that eventually bagged the gold. It’s the quality of players that has drastically dipped due to these superstars begging off. You said it yourself, preparation and cohesion isn’t on TEAM USA’s side. Hard to overcome that with such a rag tag team. Not at this level.

Page 154 of 181 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164 ... LastLast