Page 151 of 181 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 3610

Thread: Fiba World Cup 2023 Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    That's really kind of more of an indication of our lack of height, in my opinion. I hope that's really the case. Sayang skillset niya if he's pigeonholed as a big.
    True. Sebastian Reyes is a Wing. But our local Coaches are forcing him to play as a Big.

And he is only 6'6

Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    True. Sebastian Reyes is a Wing. But our local Coaches are forcing him to play as a Big.

And he is only 6'6
    Hmm usually in High School or Youth teams, when a player is tall and has a skill set to play small, they just let him play small while being tall lol. For example they could still put him at "Center" but dont expect him to just post up, not handle the ball and shoot occasional threes. Allow him to rebound and go coast to coast. Allow him to playmake at times. They shouldnt restrict players to positions just because of their height. If PH High Schools are pdigeonholing players then thats a huge mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyz View Post
    Hmm usually in High School or Youth teams, when a player is tall and has a skill set to play small, they just let him play small while being tall lol. For example they could still put him at "Center" but dont expect him to just post up, not handle the ball and shoot occasional threes. Allow him to rebound and go coast to coast. Allow him to playmake at times. They shouldnt restrict players to positions just because of their height. If PH High Schools are pdigeonholing players then thats a huge mistake.
    I think demisana and Sebastian could be taller versions of tamayo and Quiambao, not as tall as kai and AJ but a 6'11 version of tamayo and 6'9 version of Quiambao would be good materials for Gilas. That Salboro kid is another one to watch out for too.
    “The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyz View Post
    There are still Jurassic coaches out there who go, "Ang laki-laki mo tapos tumitira ka sa labas!"

Quote Originally Posted by k3ttch View Post
    There are still Jurassic coaches out there who go, "Ang laki-laki mo tapos tumitira ka sa labas!"
    For example there is Jay Pangalanan.. Letran coaches yelled him "Bakit ka tumitira sa labas, walang rerebound".. Hayyyzzzz.. Watch that episode on 2ot..

The modern perimeter oriented FIBA game isn't about height but skill set, Amare Stoudomire is every bit a big man PF (2004) despite being shorter than Durant who is every bit a wing player. And yes Durant is now your protiypical FiBA 4 man, much like NBA SF Carmelo an all t time team USA top scorer was primary a 4 for team USA.

With Kai and AJ we've got 2 of the main 3 man rotation for Gilas covered, the 3rd big man is absolutely a prototypical FIBA Stretch 4, like Ranidel, Durant, Carmelo like.

A back up traditional center won't be in the rotation and will literally ride the bench except for a few spot minutes

And yes AJ a defensively and offensively small ball center is absolutely the best alternative to Kai at center, while playing some minutes at 4 as well.

All of this isn't unusual anymore, this is how the game is really played in FIBA. Many just have their minds stucked in local basketball and are overally concerned about height, it is not height for the nth time but skill set!
    Last edited by analyzed; 09-15-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    The modern perimeter oriented FIBA game isn't about height but skill set, Amare Stoudomire is every bit a big man PF (2004) despite being shorter than Durant who is every bit a wing player. And yes Durant is now your protiypical FiBA 4 man, much like NBA SF Carmelo an all t time team USA top scorer was primary a 4 for team USA.

With Kai and AJ we've got 2 of the main 3 man rotation for Gilas covered, the 3rd big man is absolutely a prototypical FIBA Stretch 4, like Ranidel, Durant, Carmelo like.

A back up traditional center won't be in the rotation and will literally ride the bench except for a few spot minutes

And yes AJ a defensively and offensively small ball center is absolutely the best alternative to Kai at center, while playing some minutes at 4 as well.

All of this isn't unusual anymore, this is how the game is really played in FIBA. Many just have their minds stucked in local basketball and are overally concerned about height, it is not height for the nth time but skill set!
    A skilled midget is still a midget though. Are you saying 5'7" point guards still have a place in FIBA ball?

A skilled midget is still a midget though. Are you saying 5'7" point guards still have a place in FIBA ball?
    If he’s good why not.

Argentina won a medal with campazzo who’s small.
    Fred VanVleet is like 5’10 but can defend NBA wings pretty well.

PG is honestly the easiet postion to hide on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    If he’s good why not.

Hmmm... probably should've used 6'4" centers.

Hmmm... probably should've used 6'4" centers.
    You can win in the NBA/FIBA with a lousy PG defender.
    You cant win anything with a Center who cant protect the rim.

Its not the same.

On that note if 6'3ish Marcus Smart or OKC's Dort happened to be Filipino , i would have no issues using them as a 4 for Gilas.

Either of them would definetly compliment Kai and AJ as a 3 big man 4/5 rotation. (we would really be strong)
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

The problem isn't just our pgs except for Barocca (allegedly). Our wings cant defend. Our bigmen are helpless on defense.

Our weakest defenders are bigs and wings

Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    The problem isn't just our pgs except for Barocca (allegedly). Our wings cant defend. Our bigmen are helpless on defense.
    Barocca is too small and thin to guard international pgs, I have no clue why he was chosen for defense

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    Barocca is too small and thin to guard international pgs, I have no clue why he was chosen for defense
    That's why I said allegedly. He's worse on offense than the other PGs and just as defenseless.

[QUOTE=thatweirdguy;1369846]

This however, if your PG is a weak defender , the player he's defending scores well, but if your center rim protector or help defenders are weak defenders then not only does his man go wild in scoring , but all 5 opposing offensive players on the court have an easier time scoring, that's why it's true you can hide a midget guard on defense , but you can't hide a slow and soft center ( those guys hurt you more ways than one if they're on the court)

If your point guard is someone named Johnny Abarrientos or Jimmy Alapag, why not? Specially if we're talking about Asian basketball level. I believe a prime Abarrientos & Alapag is still better than most top point guards in Asian basketball. Between a Matt Nieto (who is around 6'0") & an Abarrientos, I'll go with the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    If he’s good why not.

Basketball may be a tall's man game, but I strongly believe there is still a place for small man with extra ordinary skills & physical attributes in basketball.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    If your point guard is someone named Johnny Abarrientos or Jimmy Alapag, why not? Specially if we're talking about Asian basketball level. I believe a prime Abarrientos & Alapag is still better than most top point guards in Asian basketball. Between a Matt Nieto (who is around 6'0") & an Abarrientos, I'll go with the latter.

Basketball may be a tall's man game, but I strongly believe there is still a place for small man with extra ordinary skills & physical attributes in basketball.
    Agree..... if I were to choose between a prime Alapag or Jason Castro vs a Dwight Ramos, I would definitely pick an Alapag or Jason Castro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonifacio View Post
    Agree..... if I were to choose between a prime Alapag or Jason Castro vs a Dwight Ramos, I would definitely pick an Alapag or Jason Castro.
    Thats why i was never a fan of this arbitrary height cut offs

Speaking of perimeter defense of wingmen, I remember a recent episode of "Jumpball" in which they tackled about who would be the likely Gilas player that will be Gabe Norwood's heir apparent. CJ Perez, Troy Rosario, Robert Bolick & I think Ray Parks (if I'm not mistaken) were mentioned as among Gabe's possible successor being Gilas' best wing defender. Then I heard coach Ryan Gregorio describing CJ Perez as a pesky defender.

Do you guys find CJ Perez as having a decent defense? I don't know but everytime I watch CJ's game I'm usually very focus on what he can do in offense that it seems I tend to overlook his defense. Well, I don't blame myself for that becoz CJ indeed is a solid offensive player who continuously improves his offense as he now has decent outside shooting which wasn't his strong suit some years ago.

If CJ is indeed a decent defender then that will only bolster his stock not just in the PBA but with Gilas National team as well. In the previous iteration of Gilas we didn't really have enough decent defenders in the 2 spot. As we all know, Paul Lee is a deadweight in defense. Jeff Chan, Garry David & Matt Wright couldn't be considered decent defenders at the 2 spot. I think only Marcio Lassiter is considered a decent defensive player at the 2 spot.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Page 151 of 181 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast