This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by k3ttch View Post
    A skilled midget is still a midget though. Are you saying 5'7" point guards still have a place in FIBA ball?
    If he’s good why not.

Argentina won a medal with campazzo who’s small.
    Fred VanVleet is like 5’10 but can defend NBA wings pretty well.

PG is honestly the easiet postion to hide on defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuck View Post
      If he’s good why not.

Hmmm... probably should've used 6'4" centers.

Comment

Hmmm... probably should've used 6'4" centers.
        You can win in the NBA/FIBA with a lousy PG defender.
        You cant win anything with a Center who cant protect the rim.

Its not the same.

Comment

• On that note if 6'3ish Marcus Smart or OKC's Dort happened to be Filipino , i would have no issues using them as a 4 for Gilas.

Either of them would definetly compliment Kai and AJ as a 3 big man 4/5 rotation. (we would really be strong)
          NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
          https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• The problem isn't just our pgs except for Barocca (allegedly). Our wings cant defend. Our bigmen are helpless on defense.

Comment

• Our weakest defenders are bigs and wings
              NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                The problem isn't just our pgs except for Barocca (allegedly). Our wings cant defend. Our bigmen are helpless on defense.
                Barocca is too small and thin to guard international pgs, I have no clue why he was chosen for defense

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post
                  Barocca is too small and thin to guard international pgs, I have no clue why he was chosen for defense
                  That's why I said allegedly. He's worse on offense than the other PGs and just as defenseless.

Comment

• [QUOTE=thatweirdguy;1369846]

This however, if your PG is a weak defender , the player he's defending scores well, but if your center rim protector or help defenders are weak defenders then not only does his man go wild in scoring , but all 5 opposing offensive players on the court have an easier time scoring, that's why it's true you can hide a midget guard on defense , but you can't hide a slow and soft center ( those guys hurt you more ways than one if they're on the court)

Comment

A skilled midget is still a midget though. Are you saying 5'7" point guards still have a place in FIBA ball?
                      If your point guard is someone named Johnny Abarrientos or Jimmy Alapag, why not? Specially if we're talking about Asian basketball level. I believe a prime Abarrientos & Alapag is still better than most top point guards in Asian basketball. Between a Matt Nieto (who is around 6'0") & an Abarrientos, I'll go with the latter.

Originally posted by Tuck View Post
                      If he’s good why not.

Basketball may be a tall's man game, but I strongly believe there is still a place for small man with extra ordinary skills & physical attributes in basketball.
                      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                        If your point guard is someone named Johnny Abarrientos or Jimmy Alapag, why not? Specially if we're talking about Asian basketball level. I believe a prime Abarrientos & Alapag is still better than most top point guards in Asian basketball. Between a Matt Nieto (who is around 6'0") & an Abarrientos, I'll go with the latter.

Basketball may be a tall's man game, but I strongly believe there is still a place for small man with extra ordinary skills & physical attributes in basketball.
                        Agree..... if I were to choose between a prime Alapag or Jason Castro vs a Dwight Ramos, I would definitely pick an Alapag or Jason Castro.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonifacio View Post
                          Agree..... if I were to choose between a prime Alapag or Jason Castro vs a Dwight Ramos, I would definitely pick an Alapag or Jason Castro.
                          Thats why i was never a fan of this arbitrary height cut offs

Comment

• Speaking of perimeter defense of wingmen, I remember a recent episode of "Jumpball" in which they tackled about who would be the likely Gilas player that will be Gabe Norwood's heir apparent. CJ Perez, Troy Rosario, Robert Bolick & I think Ray Parks (if I'm not mistaken) were mentioned as among Gabe's possible successor being Gilas' best wing defender. Then I heard coach Ryan Gregorio describing CJ Perez as a pesky defender.

Do you guys find CJ Perez as having a decent defense? I don't know but everytime I watch CJ's game I'm usually very focus on what he can do in offense that it seems I tend to overlook his defense. Well, I don't blame myself for that becoz CJ indeed is a solid offensive player who continuously improves his offense as he now has decent outside shooting which wasn't his strong suit some years ago.

If CJ is indeed a decent defender then that will only bolster his stock not just in the PBA but with Gilas National team as well. In the previous iteration of Gilas we didn't really have enough decent defenders in the 2 spot. As we all know, Paul Lee is a deadweight in defense. Jeff Chan, Garry David & Matt Wright couldn't be considered decent defenders at the 2 spot. I think only Marcio Lassiter is considered a decent defensive player at the 2 spot.
                            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonifacio View Post
                              I'm not sure if we should classify Dwight Ramos as a point guard. Combo guard maybe. For me dwight is a natural wingman.

Comment

• yep, CJ is definitely solid on the defensive end. He excels especially as a roamer on the weakside. He is not lockdown, but i think he has the tools.

If CJ is indeed a decent defender then that will only bolster his stock not just in the PBA but with Gilas National team as well.
                                I think some people are already considering him as shoo-in based only on his 2019 WC performance. His gilas stock is already as high as can be.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information