This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
    We have a bigger gap at modern day FIBA 4, than we have at 3 (essentially a tall guard/wing)

As we saw with Heat vs Celtics, if ever AJ was available for either team, he would play center, not 4!
    The game has changed
    There are always 2 kinds of 4s or PFs

1. Carmelo Anthony/Danilo Gallanari Type
    2. Tim Duncan/Zach Randolph type

Obviously you prefer the first type for Fiba.
    Last edited by mathematicianrcg; 09-24-2020, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post

1. Carmelo Anthony/Danilo Gallinari Type

Well, Gallinari was used as 4/5 in Italy last year.
      Attack
      defend
      Unite

Comment

1. Carmelo Anthony/Danilo Gallanari Type

Yes the 1st one, the 2nd one is rarely to almost never used in World FIBA ball (Duncan is a center) anymore with very few exceptions.
        BTW it's not the hight but the type, the Philippines despite it's lack of size still uses the type (low post 4)a lot
        NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
        https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• The issue isn't if Kai and AJ will play some time together they will! But that the 3rd rotation at 5/4 is still a Ranidel type not a pure center, we cannot afford not to play AJ at center (his #1 strength rim protector and PNR defence) when Kai sits (which he needs to for at least 10 minutes, note not even center Scola plays 30 min for Argentina in 2019 WC), with AJ and Kai playing say 30 min each, that leaves just 20 min at the 5/4 rotation and that goes to a Ranidel type, definitely not a center (at least no one with a current Philippine passport)
          NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

• If Danny Siegle were in his prime and Tab was Gilas coach, Danny S would play 4 like Navarro, he would be too slow as a 3. While Danny I (with his style for height) cannot play FIBA world level period.
            Once people get that.. It changes what we thought was previously the way game is played.. It's different
            Last edited by analyzed; 09-24-2020, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
              Danny S, tho more polished than kobe, was slower. He was a 4 in the PBA mostly. He handles the ball well, jumps high but was slow for a 3 even at pba standards.
              Yes all the more he is a 4 in today's FIBA game, people (a lot in IBN) mention hin alot as our ideal SF(3), but actually he's a 4.for today's FIBA world level, see the difference in thinking

A prime Danny Siegle is a talent too good not to use if he was one of the players at our disposal. If we have a player like him absolutely Tab would use Kai, AJ and Siegle as our 4/5 main rotation.
              Of course assuming no new NP

Clarkson, Dwight and Thirdy take care of 2/3 wing

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
                Well, i saw seigle as a 4, i see kobe as a 3.
                For the purpose of discussion it does not matter really, point is Gilas is looking for a combo swing Forward to play 4 as third piece of 4/5 main rotation, whether that be Kobe, Troy, Tamayo or whoever testing and time will only tell who can fit the role

Comment

For the purpose of discussion it does not matter really, point is Gilas is looking for a combo swing Forward to play 4 as third piece of 4/5 main rotation, whether that be Kobe, Troy, Tamayo or whoever testing and time will only tell who can fit the role
                  What about Chris Mcccoulough. If JC can be a local by fiba.

Its a pipe dream though

Comment

Aside from Gilas, SEA is really at a low level and are disadvantage in almost all areas.

GILAS is top tier Asian level, so from a level perspective while they are located in SEA are really Asian level.

And the main difference between Gilas /top Asian nations is not bigs or height but it really is athletes and at the wing position and 2 meter players having perimeter skills. That is the main difference.
                    Haddadi, Yi, Zhou, Kai, AJ, even Rui, they are respectable world level bigs, but the Asian wings (not PGs). Ang layo talaga

If Kobe can't play 4 for stretches at world level all the more he can't play 3 at the world level. (he can play 3 in Asia). . So basically if he can't play 4, he doesn't play at all at world level (you cannot afford to put him on the court with his deficiencies in the perimeter)
                    Originally posted by astigram04
                    Yet the Philippine NTs were being ran over by the very tall Chinese until came douthit, blatche and junmar.

Japeth despite being slow, did ok defending against outside shooters because of his length but got bullied inside by stronger fours, how much more kobe. Well, if kobe isnt good enough to play SF, lthe more imperative it is to get a naturalized SF
                    The way I see it in so far as Asian basketball is concerned, 7-foot & above centers are still the biggest difference makers. I think without Hadadi, Iran would just be a slightly above-average team in Asian basketball. Without Zhou Qi, I think China is very much beatable for teams like Gilas, Korea, Jordan, Lebanon. I think Jordan is a different team with 7-foot Ahmad Al Dwairi in tow. Of course nobody can undermine the value of good size & skilled small forwards & "fours".
                    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

What about Chris Mcccoulough. If JC can be a local by fiba.

Its a pipe dream though
                      That's a no brainer but again a big IF

Comment

• And it's no secret in the Gilas era it is NP centers Marcus and Blatche that turned Gilas in top tier real Asia from mid tier (outside of top 4) in the previous decade 2000 to 2009

Now the difference of top tier Asian teams to world 2nd round qualifiers isn't centers (as Asia is competitive in Bigs), but the wings and forwards of (South American, NZ, 2nd tier Europe)

Comment

And it's no secret in the Gilas era it is NP centers Marcus and Blatche that turned Gilas in top tier real Asia from mid tier (outside of top 4) in the previous decade 2000 to 2009

Now the difference of top tier Asian teams to world 2nd round qualifiers isn't centers (as Asia is competitive in Bigs), but the wings and forwards of (South American, NZ, 2nd tier Europe)
                          Well I agree with that.

They said today is guards league now.

No. It is Wings and Point Forwards league now

Comment

• Traditional and historical world powerhouses like Spain, Australia, Serbia, Greece, Turkey, Russia are still using slow but physical traditional PF (with perimeter game) and a C (with perimeter game) in their five. Why is that? Because these teams are naturally taller. Hence, they play their natural playing style. They don't look stiff because that's the way they play.

This is not the same with us. Yes, we might have taller and more mobile big duo of Kai-AJ but we do not naturally play the way those countries i mentioned do.
                            Attack
                            defend
                            Unite

Comment

• Essentially the main position a player is used in his regular league (UAAP, PBA) is his best position for FIBA (that's his natural inclination),
                              Kobe is a 4 in UP
                              AJ is a 5 in Taledo

Comment

Essentially the main position a player is used in his regular league (UAAP, PBA) is his best position for FIBA (that's his natural inclination),
                                Kobe is a 4 in UP
                                AJ is a 5 in Taledo
                                Kai is a 4 in TSF with Wilmore at 5.

But maybe Kai will be the 5 in Ignite.

Quiambao will play 3 in La salle? Isnt it too late???

With Tamayo around, Paras could be a 3 in UP. Is it too late also???

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information