This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    That WC team was probably our best formed GILAS team. JC and Blatche were in their prime. Guys like RDO,Ping, Chan, Gabe were slightly past their prime but still playable and their game were made for the international game. It sucks that we weren't able to find suitable replacements for those guys..

TC doesn't have the international experience that Chot has. Remember Chot has been in the international scene for a long time.
    I agree. They were phenomenal to watch to even when they lost games.

I think the only downside with Chot is, he is less firm in international plays. I mean, he could have insisted that FIBA control the game with Australia before the start off the game since the tension was already brewing...when he told the player "just don't mind it". It went downhill. And FIBA refs aren't exactly the best either.

There was a game in the Jones cup, I think it was 2016 against a third-rate Russian team and things were escalating just in the first few minutes. (This was when some Russian players were ganging up on Terrence Romeo)

But Tab Baldwin insisted with the officials to control the game before it gets uglier and he regrouped with Gilas on how to address the rather weird temper of some Russians.

Filipino coaches need to be assertive than reactive(when things go down).

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
      2014 Argentina is better than 2019 Argentina.

2014 have ACTIVE NBA Players and a Slightly Prime Scola. 2019 team have a VERY OLD SCOLA as their BEST player.

It is just there are better teams in 2014 than 2019. So 2019 finishes better.

Kai and Edu are sureball nba draftees/players barring injuries.
      11th place compared to 1st runner up? Sorry, but you can do better than gauging a team’s strength by name recognition and throwing out another baseless claim of having stronger teams back then to complement that narrative. If a team’s strength is determined by the number of NBA players, the 2019 edition has no business beating Australia, much more ending up 2nd place.

If you think Edu is a surefire NBA player, then so be it. I’m hoping he would be but I’m not banking on it.
      Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
        11th place compared to 1st runner up? Sorry, but you can do better than gauging a team’s strength by name recognition and throwing out another baseless claim of having stronger teams back then to complement that narrative. If a team’s strength is determined by the number of NBA players, the 2019 edition has no business beating Australia, much more ending up 2nd place.

If you think Edu is a surefire NBA player, then so be it. I’m hoping he would be but I’m not banking on it.
        You just supported my argument that there is more talented teams in 2014. Australia and Serbia(With nba players) was beaten by Argentina(No nba players). In 2019.

2014 has elite to average nba players. 2019 has borderline to average nba players. In fact the best players in 2019 are Gasol,Scola, Jokic, Fournier. 2014 have all star team usa, strong spain team, etc.

I think all of us will agree that 2014 have more talented teams/players than 2019. Hence better competition.

Are you saying that 2019 fiba world cup is more competitive than 2014?

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
          Greece played us the next day, Argentina and the other teams had longer time to get those materials to study our plays. You can't simply assume that they failed to scout us because it will fit your argument while common sense dictates that they have reason to scout us closely and they had the time to do so, more than greece actually.

Oh the Senegal argument, if we use the logic you used to prove that 2014 Argentina was better than the 2019 Argentina because there were more nba players then, then Senegal should be a very strong team. I think they had at least 2 nba veterans while we had just 1. And Senegal actually finished much higher than us, 16th compared to 21st. Nigeria didn't even qualify. The other Africas that qualified were Angola, finished 17th and Egypt, finished dead last.
          Sure. But you forget that Blatche is a better nba player than the 2 senegal nba players. Thats why I said 2014 has better teams. Even Gilas have a better team. I am not saying senegal is a bad team. Just because I level up gilas with them doesnt mean they are weak. It is like saying gilas is weak.

To be clear, my argument that "more nba players" is dependent if that nba players are borderline, average, or elite nba players.

Argentina have average nba players. Senegal have borderline nba players. Even JMF outplayed one senegal nba player.

Comment

You just supported my argument that there is more talented teams in 2014. Australia and Serbia(With nba players) was beaten by Argentina(No nba players). In 2019.

2014 has elite to average nba players. 2019 has borderline to average nba players. In fact the best players in 2019 are Gasol,Scola, Jokic, Fournier. 2014 have all star team usa, strong spain team, etc.

I think all of us will agree that 2014 have more talented teams/players than 2019. Hence better competition.

Are you saying that 2019 fiba world cup is more competitive than 2014?
            Or the 2019 Argentina squad is like a well oiled machine it played better as a team compared to the more talent laden squads it faced?

Lol here you go again with your self made tiers. Elite, borderline, average. I find it amusing how easy it is for you to label things to fit your argument. Aside from Team USA, other teams like Australia, Serbia, France and many more are bannered by NBA players. But then again, having NBA players in your team doesn’t equate or translate to strength. If that was the case, Team USA would’ve gotten away with the cup because it’s an all NBA lineup! This is a team sport, not individual competition.

2019 is more competitive definitely. It is an open, free for all race because USA is not anywhere close to full strength.

Comment

Or the 2019 Argentina squad is like a well oiled machine it played better as a team compared to the more talent laden squads it faced?

Lol here you go again with your self made tiers. Elite, borderline, average. I find it amusing how easy it is for you to label things to fit your argument. Aside from Team USA, other teams like Australia, Serbia, France and many more are bannered by NBA players. But then again, having NBA players in your team doesn’t equate or translate to strength. If that was the case, Team USA would’ve gotten away with the cup because it’s an all NBA lineup! This is a team sport, not individual competition.

2019 is more competitive definitely. It is an open, free for all race because USA is not anywhere close to full strength.
              Well, I agree that 2019 have better teamwork. But 2014 still have stronger players.

Ofcourse, there are tiers. It is like you are saying that all nba players are equal. LOL.

Exactly. 2019 is weaker. Team usa(borderline) lost. 2014 Usa is WAY BETTER.

For ex. 2019 spain finish first. 2008 spain finish 2nd. 2014 finish 3rd/4th(not sure)

But 2008 spain and 2014 spain are clearly better than 2019.

Well, YOU Can also do better than judging a team's strength by their finishes especially if they have different oppositions.

You can have the last word. We are good bro.

My point is that just because 2014 argentina place 11th and 2019 argentina placed 2nd doesnt mean 2019 are better/stronger.

Comment

• Edu is good but he is not nba player material. Maybe late second round if he is lucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by xenoloxy View Post
                  Edu is good but he is not nba player material. Maybe late second round if he is lucky.
                  As of now, I think Edu has more potential to enter the NBA than Kai. Let's see in 2021 if that still holds true, although I prefer that both of them enter the NBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaVi View Post
                    As of now, I think Edu has more potential to enter the NBA than Kai. Let's see in 2021 if that still holds true, although I prefer that both of them enter the NBA.
                    His injury sustained last year is already a red flag.
                    Attack
                    defend
                    Unite

Comment

2014 Argentina is better than 2019 Argentina.

2014 have ACTIVE NBA Players and a Slightly Prime Scola. 2019 team have a VERY OLD SCOLA as their BEST player.

It is just there are better teams in 2014 than 2019. So 2019 finishes better.

Kai and Edu are sureball nba draftees/players barring injuries.
                      So its not players are in their prime or not,the thing is how players and coaches perform during the game..
                      Do you want to save big bucks for a T-shirt👕?Hurry up for our Online Store Promo,Our Volt Design T-shirt has Some Old Stocks T-shirts that are selling for 49 Pesos plus 79 pesos Shipping fee nationwide.🛵COD within Metro Manila is available,Pay 79 pesos shipping fee first on Provincial COD.Order Now!!🥰
                      Buy here👉https://www.pinoyhoopz.com/promo.html

Comment

Well, I agree that 2019 have better teamwork. But 2014 still have stronger players.

Ofcourse, there are tiers. It is like you are saying that all nba players are equal. LOL.

Exactly. 2019 is weaker. Team usa(borderline) lost. 2014 Usa is WAY BETTER.

For ex. 2019 spain finish first. 2008 spain finish 2nd. 2014 finish 3rd/4th(not sure)

But 2008 spain and 2014 spain are clearly better than 2019.

Well, YOU Can also do better than judging a team's strength by their finishes especially if they have different oppositions.

You can have the last word. We are good bro.

My point is that just because 2014 argentina place 11th and 2019 argentina placed 2nd doesnt mean 2019 are better/stronger.
                        There are tiers and then there are YOUR tiers— two entirely different things considering how you tag Wall as average athleticism-wise.

Yes, the opposition should be considered but your basis of strength is FLAWED. It would be readily applicable to TEAM USA considering the significant drop of talent across the board, but for the other teams who brought their superstars (Gasol, Rubio who probably played his best WC ever, Hernangomez bros, Rudy Fernandez etc for spain, a newly minted NBA MVP Giannis for Greece, Jokic, Bjelica and Bogdan Bogdanovic for Serbia, Sabonis and Valanciunas for Lithuania and a lot more NBA players for the other teams like Australia, France, Canada etc), it’d take a lot more than just saliva or a random thought to declare these teams weaker than their predecessors.

Of course, we’re good. But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t question your convictions esp if it comes out as something absurd. That’s an utter disrespect for that 2019 Argentinian team who played their hearts out, played methodical, beautiful basketball to reach the FINALS, to be deemed weaker compared to an 11th (take note, 9 places difference!) place predecessor, just so because Team USA is not in full force.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaVi View Post
                          Really? Edu in his highlight months didn’t even enter the future NBA draftee conversation. He was also like a 3 star(?) recruit coming out of HS. Kai on the other hand is consistently appearing on the radar, landing as high as 18th on certain mock drafts and is considered a 4 star recruit. So, what did the scouts and basketball community miss here?

I like Edu and I’m rooting for him. But I have to disagree he is a better NBA prospect than Kai.

Comment

Really? Edu in his highlight months didn’t even enter the future NBA draftee conversation. He was also like a 3 star(?) recruit coming out of HS. Kai on the other hand is consistently appearing on the radar, landing as high as 18th on certain mock drafts and is considered a 4 star recruit. So, what did the scouts and basketball community miss here?

I like Edu and I’m rooting for him. But I have to disagree he is a better NBA prospect than Kai.
                            Well, I agree with you in this one. Aj edu has big chance in nba. Kai HAS bigger chance.

Kai is on the radar of some nba scouts. Even Cuban knows Kai.

We must be optimistic that they will both be drafted in nba. Kai a lottery pick/first round and Edu as second round.

Comment

Well, I agree with you in this one. Aj edu has big chance in nba. Kai HAS bigger chance.

Kai is on the radar of some nba scouts. Even Cuban knows Kai.

We must be optimistic that they will both be drafted in nba. Kai a lottery pick/first round and Edu as second round.
                              Wow..where do you come up with these "TIERS"? First it was the "john wall etc. have low to average athleticism" argument; then your clasification of FIBA teams with "borderline, average and elite" NBA players and so now its about proclaiming like its a sure thing that based on your "scientifically proven" ranking system, if you are tagged with a "BIG CHANCE" then matic yan second round pick ka (Edu), but if you tag someone as having a "BIGGER CHANCE" then heck no doubt in your mind lottery first round pick ka (Kai)!

And yet what is the basis for this?? LOL!

Being optimistic is nice but going overboard with it and with very little facts to back it up is not healthy at all.
                              Originally posted by PeeZones
                              Kai is a top ten lottery pick come draft day and the best team for him is the spurs...Kai is way more skilled OFFENSIVELY than duncan, yao, aldridge, kp. etc..Kai is way better offensively than Porzingis by a mile...Kareem isnt really way far than Kai..decent bball IQ for both MJ and Kobe but Kai belongs to the highly skilled and high IQ players...I see talent clearly and they cant.

Comment

• If you will dream, dream high.

Dream for the moon, at least if you fail, you can end up with stars.

Kai and Edu will be in nba. You will see that.

Besides, it is not bad to support our young talents. And being optimisyic and/or overboard is better than
                                Being pessimistic and crab mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information