X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For me.

Do we really need to force to be like Italy or Serbia or Argentina?,

I mean any and each team has his own strengths and weaknesses.

Spain always have traditional bigs Gasol Brothers and to some extent Hernangomwz Brothers. They are champions in Fiba last yr.

Dom't we have own identity?

Having said that, I agree with sir analyzed that we need to matchup in terms of skill. But of course by not putting too small players like Pogoy or Barroca.

Kai, Aj, and the NP is our strengths. Right? The three of them will carry the offense. Do we expect Kai and AJ to be Elite perimeter Players?
    Though they can shoot outside, their game focuses inside more.

So, Kobe Paras, Dwight, Lopez, Dave I, Troy will be a big key. As what analyzed is repeatedly mentioning

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
      For me.

Do we really need to force to be like Italy or Serbia or Argentina?,

I mean any and each team has his own strengths and weaknesses.

Spain always have traditional bigs Gasol Brothers and to some extent Hernangomwz Brothers. They are champions in Fiba last yr.

Dom't we have own identity?

Having said that, I agree with sir analyzed that we need to matchup in terms of skill. But of course by not putting too small players like Pogoy or Barroca.

Kai, Aj, and the NP is our strengths. Right? The three of them will carry the offense. Do we expect Kai and AJ to be Elite perimeter Players?
      Though they can shoot outside, their game focuses inside more.

So, Kobe Paras, Dwight, Lopez, Dave I, Troy will be a big key. As what analyzed is repeatedly mentioning
      I think the other side, including me, are the ones that should ask: "do we really need to force Gilas to be like a tall European team like Spain, Serbia or Greece?"

We know the obvious - there is a scarcity of tall players present taller in European teams. Even if we do, they are not really that smooth in playing smaller positions. Would you even dare to Carl Tamayo to play the wing or Balty to play power forward? We already tried that using Almazan, Erram and Japeth but did they really an advantage over their counterparts? Last time i checked, they became liabilities in defense in some games simply they don't possess the mobility needed to play the 4.

We are pushing for versatile and more mobile but might be shorter combo forward is because we need to play with our true strength which is speed and individuality.

We want to be like Italy, Argentina or a Latin American team may be because they are the ones that are closer or similar to our playing style.

Our identity, as I already said, is we are running team. We to need to outspeed our opponents.

Contrary to everyones belief, AJ and Kai are not really our strength - just not yet. What is our strength are the ones that are here in the country and have the higher chance to be available. Wag muna magbilang dahil di napipisa ang itlog (trans: let them grow there).

We need to work on the pieces available to us. Those that are presented to us. Wag muna tayong maghanap ng wala.
      Attack
      defend
      Unite

Comment

• Here is the thing, there is an existing pool and a team that actually played this year (Feb window) as a start.

Why don't we start from there? How can we leap frog from an envision team with new players or players all of a sudden playing new roles? It's kind of senseless to envision Baltazar or Troy will be a combo forward when they've never even played that role ever in their current mother team much more with Gilas in any successful way

People are fantasy dreaming.
        Some dream of a high school center from NU being a SF for Lasalle in college, I get it we want to match up in height, but it's really a pipe dream that hasn't been demonstrated yet.
        Get this guys AJ has yet to play a minute as a 4 in college or senior FIBA, yet we're already have him locked as our full time starting PF, seriously now!

People are confusing natural inclination/ familiar role with what they see as skill sets that can work for a given position. Example Bam Adebayo has excellent handles, vision and quickness to play the PF position, yet people need to get he's most familiar and effective with using those exact skills from the 5 (center position), it's the same for AJ. He is a center period, who has some perimeter skills
        Last edited by analyzed; 09-26-2020, 01:04 PM.
        NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
        https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
          Here is the thing, there is an existing pool and a team that actually played this year (Feb window) as a start.

Why don't we start from there? How can we leap frog from an envision team with new players or players all of a sudden playing new roles? It's kind of senseless to envision Baltazar or Troy will be a combo forward when they've never even played that role ever in their current mother team much more with Gilas in any successful way

People are fantasy dreaming.
          Some dream of a high school center from NU being a SF for Lasalle in college, I get it we want to match up in height, but it's really a pipe dream that hasn't been demonstrated yet.
          Get this guys AJ has yet to play a minute as a 4 in college or senior FIBA, yet we're already have him locked as our full time starting PF, seriously now!

People are confusing natural inclination/ familiar role with what they see as skill sets that can work for a given position. Example Bam Adebayo has excellent handles, vision and quickness to play the PF position, yet people need to get he's most familiar and effective with using those exact skills from the 5 (center position), it's the same for AJ. He is a center period, who has some perimeter skills
          Just like Dwight Ramos, you've already lock him as a full time starting wing(3 position), or 4 position in small ball system. Yet he only played in Senior FIBA tournament against what team? A lowly Indonesian team? And you'll argue that it is his natural position while playing in US NCAA D1 and D2 and also coach Tab is also fond of Dwight to be the future swing of Gilas.(nahirapan nga siya against Indonesian team lang, eh sa Asian countries pa kaya outside South East Asia, lalo na against European, African and American countries). But still there are few Fiba eligible pinoy who are 6'4 and above that have skill sets of a guard..

Comment

• Absolutely if Dwight is to get minutes for Gilas in 2023 (remains to be seen how many minutes), it will be primary as a wing (3/2), not 4, this is not even arguable

AJ on the other hand as a full time 4, is a great leap of assumption, as he yet has played the position litterally as an adult (Toledo or any FIBA senior)

Do note I'm not predicting playing time and impact of role here in 2023, I'm predicting position and role only

Furthermore I'm not saying AJ will not play some 4, but what I'm saying as of this point his primary position is none other than center.
            The issue is we're already counting and assuming AJ will be primary a 4, which really remains to be seen or demonstrated
            NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

Absolutely if Dwight is to get minutes for Gilas in 2023 (remains to be seen how many minutes), it will be primary as a wing (3/2), not 4, this is not even arguable

AJ on the other hand as a full time 4, is a great leap of assumption, as he yet has played the position litterally as an adult (Toledo or any FIBA senior)

Do note I'm not predicting playing time and impact of role here in 2023, I'm predicting position and role only

Furthermore I'm not saying AJ will not play some 4, but what I'm saying as of this point his primary position is none other than center.
              The issue is we're already counting and assuming AJ will be primary a 4, which really remains to be seen or demonstrated
              It won't be time the advantage of Gilas to have Kai and AJ just play alternately at Center...Sino ang mag PF for Gilas? TROY or Kobe? We have seen last FIBA Asia U18 that Kai and AJ can coexist . Let the opponent adjust with our twin towers...

Comment

Absolutely if Dwight is to get minutes for Gilas in 2023 (remains to be seen how many minutes), it will be primary as a wing (3/2), not 4, this is not even arguable

Yes. But Until we can find your " Combo Forward" that you are mentioning to be our lacking.

We have no choice but to play Kai and Aj at the same time. Fine, if AJ is C, then Kai is PF. Kai is always PF anyway.

And yes. It begs the question. If Kai and AJ will alternate the C position? Who will be the 4 or PF?

Comment

• Originally posted by sajubeads View Post
                  It won't be time the advantage of Gilas to have Kai and AJ just play alternately at Center...Sino ang mag PF for Gilas? TROY or Kobe? We have seen last FIBA Asia U18 that Kai and AJ can coexist . Let the opponent adjust with our twin towers...
                  Agree, let the Gilas opponent adjust with our twin towers and not the other way around. June Mar Fajardo and Japeth Aguilar are still serviceable in 2023, maybe 10-15 minutes. And if Angelo Kouame and Jordan Clarkson will be FIBA eigible as local, then Justin Brownlee could be our starting small forward(naturalized spot) and JC in the 2 spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by sajubeads View Post
                    I'm not saying AJ won't play some PF he will, but it is presumption that his primary role is PF.
                    Well whoever shows they can be servicable prior to 2023 WC at combo forward will absolutely be the 3rd player in rotation as our Ranidel type.
                    It isn't going to be a pure center (as 3rd man in rotation) but a combo forward with Kai and AJ alternating as 5 and 4. Why? Simply because at this point AJ is the 2nd best Filipino (with a passport) at center. Kai needs relief and can't play the whole game.

Banking on AJ to be a full time 4, and not Kai's primary back up at center is really presumption for a players who has never played 4 as an adult

Comment

• It comes down to this a prime Ranidel is more valuable than a prime Junmar for FIBA, especially if your two other bigs are (Blatche, Japeth) or (Kai, AJ), it is that simple really, and yes that's my opinion, which others are free to disagree

Do note contrary to thinking, Japeth actually played most of his minutes at center not PF!

Comment

I'm not saying AJ won't play some PF he will, but it is presumption that his primary role is PF.
                        Well whoever shows they can be servicable prior to 2023 WC at combo forward will absolutely be the 3rd player in rotation as our Ranidel type.
                        It isn't going to be a pure center (as 3rd man in rotation) but a combo forward with Kai and AJ alternating as 5 and 4. Why? Simply because at this point AJ is the 2nd best Filipino (with a passport) at center. Kai needs relief and can't play the whole game.

Banking on AJ to be a full time 4, and not Kai's primary back up at center is really presumption for a players who has never played 4 as an adult
                        Well AJ may have not played PF in his college career but his style is actually that of a Forward...His more of a face up player than a Postplayer, in fact his strength is actually more pick and pop from perimeter and driving to the basket...Same with Kai, it's just that he stands 7-3 but he plays more of aPF also than a Center...AJ has more than enough quickness to guard the Gallinaris, Bjelica and Hachimuras of the World..Its on the Coaching staff on how he plays to the strength of his players...Outside of Kai and AJ, any player paired with either of them except for a NP will be a downgrade for Gilas.

Comment

• ^^
                          Well that's the whole point, you have to be playing a certain role effectively and significant reps prior to being placed in that role for 2023.
                          If AJ plays 4.for his mother team Kahit 1 year out from 2023 for whoever, and is effective, then by all means he should be our primary 4
                          Same goes for Kobe as a wing, note he has to play both well and significantly prior to 2023, (not when he was in high school lol)

That's essentially how national teams are formed, they're a selection of the best players who demonstrated effectiveness per position. (not on paper! Or visual observation of skill set, like he shoots well so can be a SF but is doing it from the 5). National teams are not formed or selected that way!

Comment

• ^^
                            Well the best centers in the NBA, Jokic, Davis (yes he gets most min at center) and Bam all have forward skil sets! Face up! Even Galinari plays 5/4 for Italy!

Skill set does not determine the position you play, it is litterally the position you are used that does! A smart coach will use those guard /forward skill set at center if it's an advantage

Comment

• Maximise the playing time of the best players:

Kai Sotto- 30 minutes
                              AJ Edu- 30 minutes
                              Jordan Clarkson-30 minutes
                              Naturalized wing player if JC became FIBA eigible as local- 30 minutes

Comment

• If Bam Adebayo and Jokic are in the same team, I'm sure they will play alongside each other(5 and 4) and not alternating in the 5 position..

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information