Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1º de Agosto: 2007 African champion

ANG - Primeiro de Agosto win FIBA Africa Champions Cup

LUANDA (FIBA Africa Champions Cup for Men) - The FIBA Africa Champions Cup for Men title will remain in Angola for at least another year after Primeiro de Agosto triumphed against Petro Atletico de Luanda at Pavilhao da Cidadela Desportiva in the Angolan capital, Luanda.

On Saturday night veteran playmaker Miguel Lutonda poured in 13 points to lead Primeiro de Agosto to a 61-53 against defending-champions Petro Atletico de Luanda.

Primeiro de Agosto led 33-25 at half-time and they maintained their eight-point advantage to the end.

Petro Atletico's American playmaker Shannon Crooks top scored with 18 points, but the Angolan champions were unable to defend their African title.

Despite Lutonda's outstanding performance, Primeiro de Agosto boss Jaime Covilha insisted it was a team victory.

He told fiba.com: "I agree that he had good game, but I prefer not to single out anyone in particular. I reckon this was a team win. We played very well offensively and defensively."

Covilha, who was Mario Palma's assistant coach when Primeiro de Agosto claimed the competition title in Cairo in 2004, added: "We started the game with a tremendous determination to win. We assumed always the leading position.

"I acknowledge that Petro wanted to win this game, but we wanted it much more. Our team was very well prepared to realise this win. It was not an easy win, though."

Primeiro de Agosto's board invested heavily after losing both the African and Angolan titles to rivals Petro Atletico last year.

Portugal international Francisco Jordao signed from Petro, while Cape Verde internationals Marques Houtman and Rodrigo Mascarenhas, who made an impact in the recent AfroBasket 2007, signed from Portugal outfit FC Porto.

Covilha said: "Yes, we have new good players with great quality. What we need was to create conditions for them to make winning even easier. They are still adapting, which is understandable."

This is the third African title for Primeiro de Agosto after consecutive victories in 2002 and 2004, before the event became annual.

In the bronze-medal game, Abidjan Basketball Club (ABC) beat Angolan outfit InterClube de Luanda 60-53.

The Ivory Coast team, who beat the Angolans in the final of the competition two years ago, were behind 26-24 at the break.

InterClube coach, Manuel de Sousa "Necas" admitted mistakes had been costly, but congratulated the Abidjan side.

"We didn't remain calm and stumbled towards the end of the game", he said.

"They took advantage of our lack of composure at an important moment of the game. If there were a draw in Basketball, I think that it would have been the fair result.

"They were not superior to us but I have to congratulate them for the victory"

The final rankings of the 22nd FIBA Africa Champions Cup for Men were:

1st. Primeiro de Agosto
    2nd. Petro Atletico de Luanda
    3rd. Abidjan Basketball Club (ABC)
    4th. InterClube de Luanda
    5th. Niger Potters
    6th. APR
    7th. BC Onatra
    8th. ASB Kauka
    9th. MBC
    10th. Aspac
    11th. Stade Malien
    12th. Ferroviario da Beira

MVP: Olímpio Cipriano, Primeiro de Agosto

Best scorer: Abubakar Usman, Niger Potters
    Best rebounder: Eduardo Mingas, Petro de Luanda
    Best 3-point shooter: Euclides Camacho, Interclube
    Best free throw shooter: Romaric Quenum, ASPAC
    Best 2-point shooter: Romaric Quenum, ASPAC
    Best stealer: Stéphane Konaté, ABC

Ideal 5: Shannon Croocks, Olímpio Cipriano, Kikas Gomes, Stéphane Konaté and Eduardo Mingas.

Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

I'm kicking myself for not following this tournament this year. There are so many exciting players coming from Africa that it's imperitive to pay attention to these tournaments.

I'm not surprised that August First won again. They've got one of the strongest top-to-bottom teams, year-in and year-out. I would love to see them go on tour in Europe and North America. It would be exciting to see how well they compete. Cipriano has been killing the basketball world the past year or two. It's good to see him get MVP.

Angola's fans are wonderful. I was in Indianapolis for the 2002 World Championship. After the Angola-Spain game, Angola's fans remained in the stands until their players came out. The players then danced with fans and hugged them and signed autographs. I even met some of the NT players briefly. That memory always makes me happy when Angola or Petro or August First does well. I always cheer for them.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Where is there stats/gamesheets or any sort of infos results on this tournament because I CANT FIND ANY.

*note sorry for caps but i dont feel like chanigng it
      My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
      1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
      1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
      1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
      1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
      1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
      1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
      1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

The worst thing about African basketball is that it is so difficult to get statistics for the domestic leagues. There are some websites (like http://www.fiba.com) where you can find stats for international African championships, but forget about it for domestic leagues.
        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information