Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifiers - ASIA-PACIFIC

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    That's their third np change. What's the matter with lebanon? It seems to me that middle east countries could grant citizenships to foreigners at will as against philippines and east asian countries. Hence, davis is still with taiwan, gilas sticks with blatche and they released after 5 years of playing and brown still with japan.

Middle east teams deserve more bashing than us east asians. Their np's do really look like mercenaries.
    Blatche doesn't look like a mercenary? How long did he stay in the Philippines before he became a citizen?

BTW I hate Blatche with a passion, and it has nothing to do with the Philippines. This guy should be in the NBA still except he has no professionalism whatsoever. This season he became the first CBA player to be put on maternity leave for getting pregnant in mid-season, it's truly mind-boggling. Good luck sticking with him.
    Last edited by sinobball; 02-02-2018 at 04:06 AM.
    aim low, score high

Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    Blatche doesn't look like a mercenary? How long did he stay in the Philippines before he became a citizen?

BTW I hate Blatche with a passion, and it has nothing to do with the Philippines. This guy should be in the NBA still except he has no professionalism whatsoever. This season he became the first CBA player to be put on maternity leave for getting pregnant in mid-season, it's truly mind-boggling. Good luck sticking with him.
    But we don't give the citizenship that easy. Even our congress is reluctant granting citizenship to foreigner that fast. If you ask me, i really don't like blatche naturalization since he never set foot here prior to his naturalization unlike douthit who spent much time staying here. The reason why we stick with blatche is that, as i said earlier, our congress is too reluctant on granting citizenship with foreigners. So if our federation decides to look for another reinforcement, they will likely require that player to reside and play in pba just like ratcliffe in korea. The congress requires the federation to think reasonably in naturalizing foreigner. If you know philippine citizenship laws as well as politics work, you will understand what i am talking about.

Chinese Taipei names 24 man player pool:

Chang Po-Sheng
    Chang Tsung-Hsien
    Chen Kuan-Chuan
    Chen Ying-Chun
    Chiang Yu-An
    Chou Po-Chen
    Chou Po-Hsun
    Chou Yi-Hsiang
    Quincy Davis
    Hu Long-Mao
    Huang Tsung-Han
    Hung Chih-Shan
    Kuo Shao-Chieh
    Lee Kai-Yan
    Lee Te-Wei
    Lin Chih-Wei
    Liu Cheng
    Lu Cheng-Ju
    Johan Morrison
    Su I-Chieh
    Tsai Wen-Cheng
    Tseng Wen-Ting
    Yang Chin-Min
    Yu Huan-Ya
    Last edited by CKR13; 02-06-2018 at 01:07 AM.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Japan narrows down its pool to 14 players:

Ira Brown
    Atsuya Ota
    Joji Takeuchi
    Takatoshi Furukawa
    Ryoma Hashimoto
    Ryusei Shinoyama
    Naoto Tsuji
    Makoto Hiejima
    Naoki Uto
    Nagayoshi Yuya
    Daiki Tanaka
    Takayuki Nishikawa
    Tenketsu Harimoto
    Yuki Togashi
    Yudai Baba
    Gen Hiraiwa
    Hyu Watanabe
    Chikara Tanaka
    Sacramento Kings

Australia Asia Qualifiers Window 2 Squad:

Angus Brandt
    Jason Cadee
    Mitch Creek
    Cameron Gliddon
    Chris Goulding
    Matt Hodgson
    Nick Kay
    Daniel Kickert
    Kevin Lisch
    Mitch McCarron
    Nathan Sobey
    Jesse Wagstaff
    Sacramento Kings

Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    Australia Asia Qualifiers Window 2 Squad:

Angus Brandt
    Jason Cadee
    Mitch Creek
    Cameron Gliddon
    Chris Goulding
    Matt Hodgson
    Nick Kay
    Daniel Kickert
    Kevin Lisch
    Mitch McCarron
    Nathan Sobey
    Jesse Wagstaff
    So boomers-nbl selection is playing small ball.

But we don't give the citizenship that easy. Even our congress is reluctant granting citizenship to foreigner that fast.
    Countries have "varying" rules/laws in granting citizenship to foreigners. It just so happened that the Lebanese government has the more lax or less stricter rules as compared to other countries like say Korea, Japan or the Philippines.

All I can say is that its non of our business as Filipinos to question why a certain country's law/rules in granting naturalized citizenship on foreigners is so lax that it can grant naturalization citizenship to someone "overnight". We can't do anything about it since such practice doesn't violate FIBA rules/laws.

Yes, you're right, Lebanon has really granted naturalization citizenship on a No. of foreign players through the years. In the last 2 years alone, I could count around 5 foreign players already (Jasmond Youngblood, Geron Johnson,Norvel Pelle, Ater Majok & Sam Young) being converted into naturalized Lebanese citizens.

BTW, it looks to me that Sam Young's naturalization is for a short term goal for the Lebanese considering that Young isn't that young anymore as he is already 32. In a very few years, he won't be on his peak anymore.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Iran squad for the 2nd window

new coach, new team, well not really "new", just different

PG: Aren Davoudi, Sajjad Mashayekhi, Farid Aslani
    SG: Saeid Davarpanah, Navid Rezaeifar
    SF: Samad Nikkhah Bahrami, Mohammad Jamshidi
    PF: Arsalan Kazemi, Oshin Sahakian, Mohammad Hassanzadeh, Navid Niktash
    C: Hamed Haddadi, Asghar Kardoust, Rouzbeh Arghavan, Mohammad Mirzaei

Coach: Mehran Shahintab

How can Australian players play when they have their playoffs going on at the moment?

Their league took a break.
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
    -Margaret Mead

Depleted CT beats Japan by 1 on Japanese soil, led by Quincy Davis (expected), Chen Ying-chun (expected) and Hu Long-mao (unexpected). Hu Long-mao does play in the CBA but never received much playing time under Coach Chou, be it in the Asia Cup or in the first window. Receiving his first start he poured in 15 points 5 rebounds in 17 minutes, including 10pts in the 4th quarter.

The players CT is missing: Liu Cheng (CBA), Lin Chih-chieh (CBA), Tseng Wen-ting (CBA), Yang Chin-min (CBA), Tien Lei (CBA), Lee Hsueh-lin (CBA), Chou Po-chen (starter in first window, injured), Chiang Yu-an (starter in first window, injured), Huang Cheng (played great vs. Philippines, injured), Hung Chih-shan (veteran guard, injured), Lu Cheng-ju (veteran shooter, injured), Chang Tsung-hsien (explosive scorer, injured), Tsai Wen-cheng (veteran swingman, injured). Some players are too old (Lee, Lin) but many others will certainly become available come July.

Japan is also missing their NCAA stars and some main guys like Yuki Togashi, Yudai Baba, and Kosuke Takeuchi, but they don't look like they deserve to field a team in 2020, even if they naturalize a much better African American player.
    Last edited by sinobball; 02-22-2018 at 03:45 PM.
    aim low, score high

Is Iraq still so unstable that they can't play a game at home? Looks like there are only 100 people at the game in Tehran, and that includes the players.

Where is Kevin Galloway? This Mayfield guy doesn't look nearly as good.
    aim low, score high

Is Iraq still so unstable that they can't play a game at home? Looks like there are only 100 people at the game in Tehran, and that includes the players.

Where is Kevin Galloway? This Mayfield guy doesn't look nearly as good.
    well Mayfield had a great game against Iran in Jordan.

Iraq is not safe yet, at least they can't convince the visiting teams to go there and play. in past they used to host few tournaments in Iraqi Kurdistan in Arbil which is relatively safe but now they want a separate country ... which leaves no option for Iraq to host games at home.

so what do you think about China-NZ game ? who is the favorite ? Does China even take this qualifiers seriously ?
    Last edited by mohsena2631; 02-22-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Beating Kazakhstan by 21 is an OK result but honestly they had no import and played without injured Ponomarev. I have to say that wasn't a good game for Iran. but somehow not a surprise since they didn't play together for a while. they got a bit better throughout the game but the offense was really bad. they missed so many open shots. Kazakhstan on other hand shot the ball much better but they had so many turnovers against Iran's tough defense , things could be different if they had an American point guard to handle the ball.

I expect a much better game in Tehran vs Iraq. I know how much they want to win that game, and not just winning but winning by a huge margin. they still can't forget that loss in Jordan. (which is ironically Iraq's only win so far !)

Quote Originally Posted by mohsena2631 View Post
    well Mayfield had a great game against Iran in Jordan.

Iraq is not safe yet, at least they can't convince the visiting teams to go there and play. in past they used to hose few tournaments in Iraqi Kurdistan in Arbil which is relatively safe but now they want a separate country ... which leaves no option for Iraq to host games at home.

so what do you think about China-NZ game ? who is the favorite ? Does China even take this qualifiers seriously ?
    Oh I thought it was Galloway in November. From what I saw today Mayfield is very unselfish (made some good passes) but has questionable shot selection. Doesn't appear very energetic either, maybe he has some injuries (he got injured late in the game). Ended the game with a team-high 15 points, but on 4/17 shooting. This group is interesting....

For the CN-NZ game I'm too sure who the favorite is. It's obviously not China's best team (probably for NZ as well) but Yi Jianlian will play so I would say it's serious. Coach Du picked quite a few shooters, probably taking notes from the Korean win in Wellington. New Zealand actually arrived in China before the Chinese team began its first practice, because of the Chinese New Year celebrations (beginning Feb. 16). Without knowing too much about NZL I would say they are the slight favorite because the Chinese team is essentially the Asian Cup team + Yi Jianlian. Compared to the "Red" team which beat Korea, this "Blue" team has too few players who can handle the ball and I'm not sure how useful they are against more physical defenders.
    aim low, score high

Japan is regressing and most likely they'll count on Yuta Watanabe and Rui Hachimura to turn things around. Even with the rotation of Brown, J. Takeuchi, Ota and Nagayoshi, that team last night has practically no inside presence. Furukawa is not good with anything else if his shot is not falling and with Uto being a decent all-around guard minus consistent offense, Shinoyama and Ryoma Hashimoto can give way to a better winger.

I don't think Avi nor Hyu will impact Japan's front-court by the 3rd window.
    Sacramento Kings

Japan is regressing and most likely they'll count on Yuta Watanabe and Rui Hachimura to turn things around. Even with the rotation of Brown, J. Takeuchi, Ota and Nagayoshi, that team last night has practically no inside presence. Furukawa is not good with anything else if his shot is not falling and with Uto being a decent all-around guard minus consistent offense, Shinoyama and Ryoma Hashimoto can give way to a better winger.

I don't think Avi nor Hyu will impact Japan's front-court by the 3rd window.
    What do you are the chances of both gilas and japan in their sunday's match?

What do you are the chances of both gilas and japan in their sunday's match?
    Since PHI beat JPN in Tokyo and now the series shifts in Manila, I'd say PHI is in the driver's seat to finish up the 2nd window with a 1-1 record. Besides, since when was the last time JPN actually beat the Philippines in FIBA Asia? But best not to be over-confident as they say.
    Sacramento Kings

Depleted CT beats Japan by 1 on Japanese soil, led by Quincy Davis (expected), Chen Ying-chun (expected) and Hu Long-mao (unexpected). Hu Long-mao does play in the CBA but never received much playing time under Coach Chou, be it in the Asia Cup or in the first window. Receiving his first start he poured in 15 points 5 rebounds in 17 minutes, including 10pts in the 4th quarter.

The players CT is missing: Liu Cheng (CBA), Lin Chih-chieh (CBA), Tseng Wen-ting (CBA), Yang Chin-min (CBA), Tien Lei (CBA), Lee Hsueh-lin (CBA), Chou Po-chen (starter in first window, injured), Chiang Yu-an (starter in first window, injured), Huang Cheng (played great vs. Philippines, injured), Hung Chih-shan (veteran guard, injured), Lu Cheng-ju (veteran shooter, injured), Chang Tsung-hsien (explosive scorer, injured), Tsai Wen-cheng (veteran swingman, injured). Some players are too old (Lee, Lin) but many others will certainly become available come July.

Japan is also missing their NCAA stars and some main guys like Yuki Togashi, Yudai Baba, and Kosuke Takeuchi, but they don't look like they deserve to field a team in 2020, even if they naturalize a much better African American player.
    Would love to see Jeremy and Joseph Lin suit up together for Taiwan. Maybe they could get a special exclusion to be able to exceed the one naturalized player rule.

Secretary General shall take into account the following criteria:
    - the number of years during which the player has lived in the country, for the national team of which he wishes to play;
    - the number of seasons during which the player has participated in domestic competitions in the country of the national team for which he wishes to play;
    - any other criteria capable of establishing a significant link between the player and the country, for the national team of which he wishes to play.

I know Jordan Clarkson didn’t get the exception for the Philippines but Joseph Lin playing in SBL maybe could.

Since PHI beat JPN in Tokyo and now the series shifts in Manila, I'd say PHI is in the driver's seat to finish up the 2nd window with a 1-1 record. Besides, since when was the last time JPN actually beat the Philippines in FIBA Asia? But best not to be over-confident as they say.
    Naoto Tsuji is one heck of a shooter and to some extent Makoto Hiejima as well, but Japan just looks like a streetball or 3x3 team without the fancy moves. Like you said the reason appears to be lack of inside presence but I'm not impressed with their defense as well, which is kind of surprising because their women's team (also vertically challenged) plays really great defense. Some Japanese players like Ryusei Shinoyama move quickly on defense so there's clearly potential, but overall there's no defensive system or coordination; in particular I don't understand why the coach didn't collapse the defense when they obviously don't have a big man capable of protecting the paint.
    aim low, score high

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast