Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Sabonis Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Just to remember how good he was. Against Bulls in 1998:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I6dKuQ4wc8
    Whoa, he owned Jordan at the 3:55! Nice find.

I watched a couple more videos of him playing for the Blazers. Honestly, to me he looks like a schoolmaster among children - blocking Malone, snatching the ball from Mullin and from Jordan on the drive almost effortlessly. I love the way he moved on the court - smoothly and with confidence. It looks as though his every move is calculated - he doesn't waste any time on any pump fakes or drives - and he either draws attention to himself and makes the perfect pass to a wide-open three-point shooter, or he finishes with a hook shot or a layup. A highly-skilled big man he was; even injuries didn't stop him from dominating.
    Last edited by macleopard13; 10-29-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macleopard13 View Post
    Whoa, he owned Jordan at the 3:55! Nice find.

I watched a couple more videos of him playing for the Blazers. Honestly, to me he looks like a schoolmaster among children - blocking Malone, snatching the ball from Mullin and from Jordan on the drive almost effortlessly. I love the way he moved on the court - smoothly and with confidence. It looks as though his every move is calculated - he doesn't waste any time on any pump fakes or drives - and he either draws attention to himself and makes the perfect pass to a wide-open three-point shooter, or he finishes with a hook shot or a layup. A highly-skilled big man he was; even injuries didn't stop him from dominating.
    Yes, he even moved very well. Even with those injuries and age. I doubt ever will be better passing big man as Sabas. His first pass for transition was just perfect.

The one you talked about. Against Jazz in 96:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqceh-0Qisk

And how good of a times that was in Portland:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JhWrDuCGSA
    Last edited by Straight forward; 10-29-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    His first pass for transition was just perfect.
    I was just coming to say this. His ability to pass the ball to guard after rebound was absolutely amazing! He knew where to pass even before he got that rebound. That is something every junior level coach on planet should focus more.

IMO its kind of unnecessary to compare young big man to best big man ever. But isn't it great that you can even do it? I can be true that there never will be player like Sabonis but after all, year after year you have good players under the rim. BTW (sorry oftopic), Finnish junior level coaches are making educational travels to Lithuania at least once every year and do lot of cooperation anyway with Lithuanian coaches. They started that like 10 years a go and I guess it's big part of the results we now have. It's good to learn from the best.

Happy Birthday to the Legendary Sabas!

Sabonis.jpg
    Last edited by Khalid80; 12-19-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Famous 2000 NBA Western conference finals - Blazers vs Lakers. 7 game that held back Sabonis from NBA super finals. Those two teams where the best teams of NBA in 2000. Basically that was the game for the ring. And what an atmosphere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftYCBrObR98
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maybe a little of topic,but still Sabonis related -
    http://www.lrytas.lt/gyvenimo-budas/...2#.UtA00tJdVBc
    review related to best restaurants in Lithuania written by wannabe guy who wants to be Michael Winner,neverless-
    The best restaurant on the "pine trees" (Darius and S.Girėno 23, Palanga). Sabonis restaurant and hotel, formerly exclusive thrived in new colors, Lithuania and return to the same mistress atsiraitojus sleeves Ingrida Sabonienė that does not come out of the kitchen (well, sometimes rolled out - but only for a final chat with the guests, and in some cases even supplied them dishes into something evil collective farmers often behind Suburbia "you see, Jerry is probably doing the same food wears). She knows each individual constituent as waiters. Restaurant menu effaced from the original American character, but gracefully imbued with new Spanish influence, while without being banal Mediterranean restaurant. This is the only place in Lithuania, where the menu makes you want to practically everything. The fact that this restaurant is not in Vilnius, is a great injustice.
    from google translate
    The funny bit was lost in translation
    Ingridai Sabonienei, kuri neišlenda iš virtuvės (na, kartais išlenda – bet tik tam, kad pabendrautų su svečiais, o kartais ir pati patiektų jiems patiekalus, į ką pikti kolūkiečiai dažnai už nugaros suburba: „matai, nekaip turbūt sekasi, kad pati maistą nešioja“).
    His wife doesn't come out of the kitchen ,unless she talks to the customers and when she serves dishes....When this happens,rednecks always whispers that is because the place is not doing that well

As for the interesting facts regarding this story - i have that too.
    Palanga had this beautiful wooden bb court,open for everyone for free to play the game any time you want.Based right in the centre of the town.Guess who bought the land,demolished the bb court and build the hotel and the restaurant instead?
    Sadly,the answer is yes.And that is another story people need to know about Sabas
    Last edited by auris1; 01-10-2014 at 10:27 PM.

50 years ago this day god sended special kid to little country and that kid become world known legend.The best basketball country Lithuania has ever produce HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG ARVYDAS !

Many congratulations to Arvydas on his 50th Birthday. May he have many more!
    ............from Janis, the Crazy Fan From Idaho

(Hugs to everyone else, too!!!)

A 21 year old Arvydas Sabonis with a ridiculous hook shot (catching and releasing it with one hand in one fluid motion):

Last edited by omgsomuchpotential; 04-10-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Sabonis knocks out the opponent with his head. Gets a cheap shot from behind from other guy who later runs away understanding he's in trouble Damn, things went crazy in this game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lzj65h7vnU
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345