No announcement yet.

The Sabonis Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pity Tkachenko didn't have a chance to play. Guess his health doesn't allow it anymore?
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
      On sunday there were second game betwen Zalgiris veterans and cska veterans only this time in moscow cska arena.Game ended in draw 28-28.Sabonis again was making 3pointers and had a very nice 1 hand dunk.
      I haven't seen any videos on the web of this second game, though. Does anyone have any links?

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
        Pity Tkachenko didn't have a chance to play. Guess his health doesn't allow it anymore?
        Tkachenko looked rather old and broken-down in that interview from the first Legends game. It was touching seeing Sabonis let Tkachenko win the jump in the ceremonial start to that game. Of course he would do that, but it was cool. It looked like that took Tkachenko a bit by surprise. That embrace that followed was sweet, too.

After reading your comment, Rik, and remembering how bad I thought Tkachenko looked, I had to look up to see how old he is.......Yikes! He's only 55. Ummmm...errr....that's how old I will be this year!!! Eeeek!!! Perhaps he doesn't look so bad, after all!!!! lol...

Seriously, though, I got looking at his career info. He retired in 1989. That would have made him just barely older than Sabonis was as a rookie in the NBA!!!! I had never really calculated that out before. Tkachenko is only 7 yrs older than Sabonis. He always seemed a lot older than that to me.

Okay....I'm done musing abt old people for now!!!

CFFI

Comment

The second game you can watch here
          Единая Лига ВТБ | VTB United League - Официальный сайт. Календарь, результаты, статистика, видео и фото матчей. Составы, статистика игроков и команд Единой Лиги ВТБ, новости и прямые трансляции матчей.

Comment

Originally posted by Migelitas View Post
            Wow hard to believe Žukauskas is now fat
            Artificial Nature

Comment

Wow hard to believe Žukauskas is now fat
              Neither Zukauskas (Eurelijus or Mindaugas) played, Rik You probably confusing him with somebody else

What comes to Tkacenko, he had really hard life after finishing bball career - lack of money, health issues with back, knees, illnesses. No wonder he looks not so good bein' only 55yo. Sabas (and probably others) tried to help him cause of this old friendship. F.e. Sabas was sending him shoes, clothes cause Tkacenko couldn't find such big ones or it was too expensive.
              It's a bit sad cause of such situation as Tkacenko is really nice and humble person, who deserved more recognition on bball courts too, but probably was born just some 5-10 years too early...

Comment

It's fate, some people just are not or were not lucky to be born at the wrong time...Not just Tkachenko, remember Sizonenko...

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                  Neither Zukauskas (Eurelijus or Mindaugas) played, Rik You probably confusing him with somebody else
                  Oops, who is this guy then? Well, he looks too short to be Eurelijus, that's true... Virginijus Jankauskas?

PS: Loved Sabas' 4-point play
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

Oops, who is this guy then? Well, he looks too short to be Eurelijus, that's true... Virginijus Jankauskas?

PS: Loved Sabas' 4-point play
                    Nearly sure it is indeed Jankauskas.
                    He is one of the few players of that generation that I lost track of ,and perhaps not only me.
                    I thought I saw him watching Zalgiris -alba game last week in person,with few camera close-ups on him.
                    Last I heard of him was years ago,him finishing his playing days in Bulgaria.
                    Still remember his biggest game of his life,funnily enough vs CSKA - with Sabas injured,I think,he scored like 23 points.we lost.But all this talk about him finally reaching his full potential evaporated rather quickly afterwards .
                    For me,he could have been solid player from the bench,like Klimavicius,if Garastas ever trusted him enough to play at least 5 minutes per game.Alas
                    Things were different -which brings me nicely to "Being born at wrong time" issue.
                    I am sure that at his peak Tkachenko had money,fame and more.
                    And yes,he is in decline because of his health and monetary issues.Like most people are ,regardless,at his age.
                    Hard to say if he would had been showered in millions was he born decade later.You have to be a little bit philosophical in this regard
                    Last edited by auris1; 02-08-2013, 08:05 PM.
                    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
                      It's fate, some people just are not or were not lucky to be born at the wrong time...Not just Tkachenko, remember Sizonenko...
                      Raimundas Civilis as well. He was a heck of a big man, but Sabonis just overshadowed him. However, he still did a good job of leading Zalgiris when Sabonis was not present. After Zalgiris years, he was a complete wreck: he became a recluse, became a chronic alcoholic, developed a heart condition and finally died from tuberculosis at the age of 41.

Comment

Most likely most of you have seen this, but if not, here's how Sabas was drafted (inspired by love between soviets and USA ). The year is 1986:

Girdėjau gandą - ateina lietūs

Comment

Such stupid reactions, seriously
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

Such stupid reactions, seriously
                            What year was it - 1986?
                            That was just 2 years after USSR boycotted Olympics.No matter how stupid it was,i suppose it was a natural reaction, a snapshot of how it was at the time -but world moved on rapidly.10 years later he was playing in NBA,another 15 years later he was introduced to Hall of fame.Hell,even this website is a testament of how things changed.

Comment

Originally posted by auris1 View Post
                              What year was it - 1986?
                              That was just 2 years after USSR boycotted Olympics.No matter how stupid it was,i suppose it was a natural reaction, a snapshot of how it was at the time -but world moved on rapidly.10 years later he was playing in NBA,another 15 years later he was introduced to Hall of fame.Hell,even this website is a testament of how things changed.
                              Well people should have realised they were talking about a Lithuanian... But all they saw was this red flag saying "Russia". Oh well...
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

There is this talk nowadays of how Valanciunas' game have changed since he went to NBA last year - and how he is struggling to adjust being back in Europe.Hence ...
                                My question would about Sabonis - what did he have to change in his game in order to survive in NBA for so many years?
                                I am sure he had to make some adjustments,but overall,is there some particularly noticeable aspects in his game that was completely different of how he used to play in Europe?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information