The Sabonis Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sabonis Appreciation Thread

Anybody know where the long-running Sabonis comments thread went to?

Last night during the Dallas-San Antonio game, Reggie Miller (now a commentator), asked who the best European player ever to play in the NBA was. Among the names he mentioned were:
    • Schrempf
    • Petrovic
    • Kukoc
    • Sabonis
    • Divac
    • Nowitzki

He did not commit to any one player, but singled out Sabonis, saying he was an amazing player. He said Nowitzki was the best right now.

Marv Albert (a long time play-by-play announcer for the NBA who was convicted of biting a woman in a hotel while wearing women's underwear) said "Arvydas Sabonis is the best classic big man I've ever seen"
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Originally posted by mvblair
    Marv Albert (a long time play-by-play announcer for the NBA who was convicted of biting a woman in a hotel while wearing women's underwear) said "Arvydas Sabonis is the best classic big man I've ever seen"
    perhaps i lost this in the form of sentence structure and overall jsut rippin on you. but are you telling me when marv was getting his dirty on while biting a woman he said that quote to her? so random..
    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Phantim3dx
      perhaps i lost this in the form of sentence structure and overall jsut rippin on you. but are you telling me when marv was getting his dirty on while biting a woman he said that quote to her? so random..
      No, no, no!!! He said it last night during the game!!
      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Phantim3dx you're terrible man

One should never say never, but I really doubt another player similar to Sabas will ever come up. He was just this unprobable combination of huge height, skills and power. Those elements are terribly difficult to combine, especially it they are inborn, as was his case. Players could be named as having great height and being excellent players, but what about the diverse set of skills he had? Even NBA's all-time great centres lacked some of his skills. If you come to think about it, was there actually something he wasn't able to do? There's your answer
        Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
        Artificial Nature

Comment

I like him, he is not just a player, he makes all country proud to be Lithuanians, If not Sabonis - nobody would know about us

Comment

Originally posted by Test
            If not Sabonis - nobody would know about us
            don't get me wrong but I beg to disagree Lithuania is so much more than some single person, it's not even worth discussing. we were very much known and respected towards the end of the middle ages and there were no Sabonis back then
            but yeah, Sabonis is great, probably the most famous Lithuanian (who lives in Lithuania) at the moment. it's only a matter of time, imho, before we build a monument for him somewhere . however, I bet at least 99 % of all Scandinavians (just an example) have never heard of Sabonis, but certainly a good part of them should know much more about Lithuania and even our hystory than, say, an (average) American NBA fan ever will.
            Last edited by kestas; 11-17-2007, 08:57 AM.
            stop russia

Comment

Originally posted by kestas
              don't get me wrong but I beg to disagree Lithuania is so much more than some single person, it's not even worth discussing. we were very much known and respected towards the end of the middle ages and there were no Sabonis back then
              but yeah, Sabonis is great, probably the most famous Lithuanian (who lives there) at the moment. it's only a matter of time, imho, before we build a monument for him somewhere . however, I bet at least 99 % of all Scandinavians (just an example) have never heard of Sabonis, but certainly a good part of them should know much more about Lithuania and even our hystory than, say, an (average) American NBA fan ever will.
              More over, generations are passing by. Just look at youtube or whatever, you will find a lot of clips with M. Kalnietis and you hardly find any with S. Marciulionis (one of the best European players ever). Sabas is a legend and still doing good job for Lith basketball, but if you want to congratulate some-one for spreading the massage about Lithuania at the moment, choose those: Ilgauskas, Jasikevicius, Macijauskas, Siskauskas, Songaila, Kleiza.
              LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
              Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
              Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by kestas
                however, I bet at least 99 % of all Scandinavians (just an example) have never heard of Sabonis, but certainly a good part of them should know much more about Lithuania and even our hystory than, say, an (average) American NBA fan ever will.
                was the american bashing necessary?
                "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

I played a lot of time on online poker rooms with americans, asians, scandinavians etc.. When people ask where I am from, I answer - from Lithuania. 20% ppl say: "ahh Sabas! I know", and other 80% says "WTF is that? is this in Canada?"

Comment

Originally posted by Phantim3dx
                    was the american bashing necessary?
                    it wasn't bashing, or, more precisely, it wasn't ment to offend anybody, sorry if it did.
                    Last edited by kestas; 11-17-2007, 02:36 PM.
                    stop russia

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward
                      More over, generations are passing by. Just look at youtube or whatever, you will find a lot of clips with M. Kalnietis and you hardly find any with S. Marciulionis (one of the best European players ever).
                      absolutely. sports heroes are all temporary, imho. e.g., type "Arvydas Sabonis" and "Sarunas Jasikevicius" in Google. Jasikevicius outscores Sabas by ~185 000 to ~122 000. Saras' Google Trends results also look better. although this tends to be warped, coz even Kleiza outscores Sabas, not to mention Ilgauskas..
                      on the other hand, however outstanding our basketball is compared to other fields, those other fields are noticable too. e.g. the search for "Eimuntas Nekrosius" (edit: theatre director) gives 67 500 results, which is better than that of "Sarunas Marciulionis". not to mention that searches for "Jonas Mekas" (edit: New York based alternative filmmaker and writer) and "Valdas Adamkus" (edit: former US official, President of LTU) give ~422 000 and ~1 130 000 results respectively.
                      Last edited by kestas; 11-17-2007, 07:18 PM.
                      stop russia

Comment

Kestas,

The same thing is true here. People are more interested in Kobe Bryant than Oscar Robertson, even though most basketball purists rank Robertson as one of the best players ever. It's just a "sign of the times." Yes, the Sabonis and Marciulionis of 1990 could kill anyone playing basketball now, but 17-year-olds were born in 1991...and they're not interested in researching guys wearing hot-pants. They want Nike commercials with hip-hop.

Comment

Yes Sabas was amazing. My granfather has 3 photo albums with Sabas articles and pictures. One of Sabas old pictures http://public.fotki.com/Nissanpower/...sx/sabas1.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanpower
                            Yes Sabas was amazing. My granfather has 3 photo albums with Sabas articles and pictures. One of Sabas old pictures http://public.fotki.com/Nissanpower/...sx/sabas1.html
                            Now, Nissanpower, if you show us one picture from the album, you've got to show the rest. It's just not fair to us Sabonis fans to only show one picture! You need to be in the Christmas spirit and share!

--Matt

Comment

Originally posted by nissanpower
                              Welcome to the forum nissanpower Please do share those tons of pics with us and post them here, a thread dedicated to Sabas' pics. CFFI will love them (and so will I)
                              Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information