View Poll Results: Your favorite male tennis player of last two decades?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roger Federer (20 Grand Slams: 6 A, 1 RG, 8 W, 5 US)

14 35.00%
  • Pete Samprass (14 Grand Slams: 2 A, 0 RG, 7 W, 5 US)

4 10.00%
  • Rafael Nadal (16 Grand Slams: 1 A, 10 RG, 2 W, 3 US)

11 27.50%
  • Andre Agassi (8 Grand Slams: 4 A, 1 RG, 1 W, 2 US)

3 7.50%
  • Boris Becker (6 Grand Slams: 2 A, 0 RG, 3 W, 1 US)

0 0%
  • Other

8 20.00%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Tennis Thread

Default US Open Final

Nadal 6 5 6 6
    Djocovic 4 7 4 2

Great match, well done RAFA!

Maria Sharapova is now officially engaged with Los Angeles Lakers guard Sasha Vujacic...
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    Maria Sharapova is now officially engaged with Los Angeles Lakers guard Sasha Vujacic...
    Congrats to the couple

Sharapova gets engaged to Lakers' guard Vujacic
    By Chris Chase

The most eligible bachelorette in tennis is off the market.

Three-time Grand Slam champion Maria Sharapova got engaged to her boyfriend, Los Angeles Lakers guard Sasha Vujacic, after he proposed on Tuesday night at his Manhattan Beach, Calif. home. The two had been dating for nearly a year. TMZ was the first to report the news. Sharapova's agent has since confirmed it to CNBC's Darren Rovell.

Sharapova and Vujacic first went public with their relationship last November when they were seen cuddling at a U2 concert in Los Angeles. Since then, the relationship has become the fodder of tabloids and paparazzi, as the athletes have been photographed together in Los Angeles and Italy, where they vacationed.

This summer, Sharapova invited Vujacic to join her in training at the IMG Academy in Florida. The backup guard for the two-time defending champions credited his girlfriend for helping him prepare for the upcoming basketball season.

Neither should be worried about the inevitable questions on whether marriage will negatively impact their games. Vujacic averaged a career low in points, rebounds, minutes and assists with the Lakers, while Sharapova struggled in Grand Slams and didn't live up to the high expectations following her comeback from shoulder surgery.

No wedding plans have been announced, but given that Vujacic's seasons in Los Angeles often last until mid-June, a post-Wimbledon date could be in the offing.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/...urn=ten-279015

Congrats for Serbia for taking Davis Cup !

Huge comeback from 1-2 to 3-2

Federer picks up Nadal from Airport; Rivals Hang Out in Zurich

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/...omment-6919585

Don't they look so cute with each other (they even managed to wear the same color of clothes and arrange for similar hairstyles )

(Imagine Manny Pacquiao picking up Margarito from the airport before literally giving him a good beating )
    Attached Images Attached Images

It was all Federer's idea,same like last year.(just for the record
    I will only watch,for Pat.He's greatly missed.
    "The worst part is wondering how you’ll find the strength tomorrow to go on doing what you did today and have been doing for much too long,where you’ll find the strength for all that stupid running around,those attempts to escape from crushing necessity,which always founder and serve only to convince you one more time that destiny is implacable,that every night will find you down and out,crushed by the dread of more and more sordid and insecure tomorrows.~Céline

Andre Agassi picked for tennis Hall of Fame

01/21/2011 | 11:41 AM

LAS VEGAS – The sport that has given Andre Agassi everything is giving him something more.

The baseliner known for his aggressive returns and career Grand Slam announced Thursday that he will be inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame, telling hundreds of students at a prep school he runs in Las Vegas that tennis has given him much more than eight major titles.

"Tennis has given me everything in my life," Agassi said. "It's given me my wife — it's given me my life's work by allowing me the resources to build this school for you."

Agassi is married to Steffi Graf, who entered the Newport, R.I., hall in 2004. He will be inducted on July 9.

The 40-year-old Las Vegas native set a precedent off the court in terms of fame and endorsements, and won his first major title in 1992 at Wimbledon — where he beat Goran Ivanisevic in five sets.

He went on to win Australian Open titles in 1995, 2000, 2002 and 2003, US Open titles in 1994 and 1999, and the French Open in 1999.

In 1995, Agassi spent 30 weeks as the world's No. 1 player, a ranking he lost when he fell to rival Pete Sampras in the US Open final.

Agassi said Thursday Sampras was the best player he faced most of his career, until he met Roger Federer.

"I just realized that he was going to be the giant of the game," Agassi said.

Agassi said his proudest moment on the court was winning the 1999 French Open to complete the career Grand Slam, because it came after he had fallen below the top 100 in rankings after knowing what it felt like to be No. 1.

He said he didn't really believe at the time that he could win the French Open, and was intimidated after going down two sets to Russian Andrei Medvedev.

"I was so scared, my feet couldn't move," Agassi said. "Somehow, I put it all behind me."

The win made him the fifth man in history to complete a career Grand Slam. It also marked a comeback from a deep slump during which he was ranked as low as No. 141.

Agassi revealed in his 2009 book "Open" that he was depressed in 1997, when he was using crystal meth and failed a drug test. The result was thrown out, he said, after he lied by saying he took the drug unwittingly.

Agassi said in the book that when he got to Paris in 1999 the desire to win the French Open had been haunting him for 10 years.

"I can't bear the idea of obsessing about it for another 80," he said in the book. "If I don't win this thing right now, I'll never be happy, truly happy, again."

Agassi told The Associated Press on Thursday that he hoped his personal struggles and style showed people that tennis can be more than just a country club sport.

"I think a lot of us are searching for our identity and a lot of us are searching for ownership of our life," he said. "I think there was a connection that hopefully left people better off."

Agassi had a career record of 870-274 after turning professional in 1986, with 60 total titles and $31.2 million earned in singles and doubles. — AP
    Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bounce View Post
    Congrats for Serbia for taking Davis Cup !

Huge comeback from 1-2 to 3-2
    And a late thank you for you, Billy!

Can't wait for Almagro - Djokovic match. Almagro is one of the most fun players to watch.
    "One more thing, if any admin delit this topic than the next time you will hear from me will not be on this forum but in a court of law with human right crimes on your shoulders, racism, nazism, breaking international law."

Let's go Li Na, funny woman

Last edited by sinobball; 01-27-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    aim low, score high

Serena Williams hospitalized with pulmonary embolism

By Chris Chase

Hours after she dazzled the red carpet at the Vanity Fair Oscars party, Serena Williams was in a Los Angeles hospital receiving emergency treatment for a blood clot in her lungs.

People magazine was the first to report that Serena suffered a pulmonary embolism last week and was seeing doctors at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center for the problem. It was discovered after she returned from New York for doctor's appointments relating to her foot issues.

"Monday Serena Williams underwent emergency treatment at Cedars [Medical Center] for a hematoma she suffered as a result of treatment for a more critical situation," a representative for Williams, Nicole Chabot, told the magazine.

Chabot said doctors are continuing to monitor the situation.

Earlier in the week, Serena said she had been targeting the French Open as her return to tennis. She hasn't played since last year's Wimbledon because of a foot injury suffered when she stepped on broken glass.

For now, Serena has more important issues to deal with than the timetable of her return to the court. Getting her health in order is priority one. Tennis can wait.

Update: Serena Williams released a statement about her condition later Wednesday:

"Thank you everyone for all of your prayers, concerns, and support. This has been extremely hard, scary, and disappointing. I am doing better, I'm at home now and working with my doctors to keep everything under control. I know I will be ok, but am praying and hoping this will all be behind me soon. While I can't make any promises now on my return, I hope to be back by early summer. That said, my main goal is to make sure I get there safely."

In another statement, her agents said the clot was caught in time and that Serena is resting at home under doctor's care.

There had been reports that the 13-time Grand Slam champion could miss up to a year. Her timetable seems more optimistic.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/...urn=ten-328525

What's up with this pulmonary embolism Didn't Pete Michael have a similar incident just a few weeks back...

Woohoo.. Israel beat Poland in the davis cup, in September we're in the world-group play-offs!

French tennis star Marion Bartoli says she has an IQ of 175
    http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/...?urn=ten-wp165

This is how you act and serve when your IQ is 175

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80 View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/...?urn=ten-wp165

This is how you act and serve when your IQ is 175

Show some respect to a women that can dunk

Nadal is by the far the best tennis player on this planet right now

Andre Agassi picked for tennis Hall of Fame
    "Tennis has given me everything in my life," Agassi said. "It's given me my wife — it's given me my life's work by allowing me the resources to build this school for you."
    In his book ("Open") Agassi says he always told the reporters what they wanted to hear about tennis, but he was actually always lying. He repeats in 100 different places how in fact he hates tennis. He hates it with passion. This sentence above seems true though, it's just a fact.

He said he didn't really believe at the time that he could win the French Open, and was intimidated after going down two sets to Russian Andrei Medvedev.
    "I was so scared, my feet couldn't move," Agassi said. "Somehow, I put it all behind me."
    There's an interesting story behind this match-up. Agassi and his team run into Medvedev in a pub once, totally wasted after another early elimination. Medvedev complains his game is shit and he cannot improve it. Agassi, passing through a hard time himself, analyses Medvedev's game and gives him some tips from his experience. And after some time he finds Medvedev trashing everybody in the tournament, and they meet in the final of RG. The guy knows all his tricks, jumps two sets in front, and Agassi feels doomed. Until a rain break. That break saves him. The sun starts to shine; Agassi overperforms and Medvedev collapses psychologically.

Anyway, I recommend his autobiographic book to every tennis fan out there. it's a very good read.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

I managed to watch the Madrid Tennis Final right after the Euroleague Final and what a great match it was between Nadal (1) vs. Djokovic (2)

Djokovic is the real deal this season and so far he is unstoppable going for 34 consecutive wins and counting (32 since the start of 2011) !!

So for now, and hopefully for the future, it seems that Nadal has finally found a new nemesis after Federer

The French Open-Roland Garros tournament which will start next week will be very intersting to watch and we'll see whether Djokovic can be able to do anything in this tournament as his previous best result there were the semis in 2007 and 2008 while Nadal will attempt to win the event for the 6th time in 7 years!!! (I'm a Federer fan but it seems his best days are now behind him as Nadal and Djokovic are clearly playing at a higher level than him these days )

As for the highlight of the Madrid Final check this awesome sick move by Nadal !!!

Chinese pride Li Na downs Mrs. Vujacic to reach French Open Final!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bounce View Post
    Show some respect to a women that can dunk

Is that Luis Scola on the floor?
    aim low, score high

Italy Vs China in the final...

I hope Schiavone - Li Na will be a good match and obviously my contrywoman win...

Before, June 4th is a tragic date for Chinese people for something that took place in Tiananmen Square on that date in 1989.

Now June 4th is one of the happiest dates for Chinese people for the accomplishment of a rebellious lady, never mind that she once gave the middle finger to Chinese sports authorities and once yelled "Shut Up" to Chinese tennis fans. Absolutely the biggest day in Chinese sports history since Yao Ming scored 30+pts against the Mavericks while Sir Charles kissed a donkey on the same night on TNT, many many many years ago. Chinese media are reporting while the match is at midnight Beijing time, over 50 million Chinese stayed up to witness history being made.

Yao Ming
    Congratulations to Li Na for making history today at the French Open
    38 minutes ago
    With Yao almost retired Li Na is now the flagship for Chinese athletes. Very few people play tennis in China due to shortage of courts (compared to badminton) but when I was growing up the number of Chinese who play soccer was like 10 times of that of basketball. Now basketball playing kids were outnumbering soccer kids by a big margin. Expect tennis to have the same explosion. After all, most Chinese know how to play pingpong and badminton (which are both dominated by Chinese people) and the rules are quite similar.
    Last edited by sinobball; 06-04-2011 at 09:17 PM.
    aim low, score high

Gong Xi for Li Na and for the city of Wuhan !

The last time I remember an Asian name in the final was when Michael Chang won the French Open back in 1989 (that was my first time watching live tennis matches )

Li Na finally has managed to win a Grand Slam Final after losing a very tough final against Clijsters in this years' Australian Open

The only issue is she's getting close to the end of her career since she's already 29 years old ... But another promising Chinese player I saw in the French Open was Peng Shuai so for sure Chinese tennis (at least for women ) seems to be heading in the right direction...

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast