Fall of Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall of Spain

Wasn't just a fluke or Spain is really done as super power in FIBA BB?

Pau is obviously not the same, he can't dominate as he used to any more and I already witnessed that. Still amazing at what level he's playing, but he's not particularly the same Pau we used to see. Marc is a great center, but he can't step into Pau's shoes in FIBA. That being said Pau still hasn't retired and might help him with a small role this Olympic cycle. Now Spain still was close winning it all, only amazing Slovenia stopped them. The question is what would be the story with Llull, Mirotic, Claver, Rudy? I think the key absence was Llull because Rubio is horrible at FIBA. Now they have really young and upcoming NBA talents in Hernangomez bros and Alex Abrines.

Will they be able to dominate with the addition of missed players or it's the fall of Spain? I would say they will remain among top contenders, but with the decline of Pau it's a new era in FIBA Europe.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Yeh probably they won't be collecting medals in every single competitions but they will be nothing less than contenders in that aspect most of the times.
    1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

They will be good enough to contend for the title but not great or undefeatable .
      UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Comment

Father Time is undefeated, Spain wasn't able to reload with younger talent and so they're on the decline. That said I still see them being a top 8 team in Europe.
        Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

I've been reading the same in 2013 if i recall correctly.

In my opinion loss of Llull was just too much considering the effect Navarro had, Slovenia was just that hungry to win that game as well as sort of a difficult matchup game-wise and their coach made some bad moves.

When Navarro and Pau retire, sure it will be an end of an era, however Spain will still be up there with the best, probably not a superpower as you need that extra player like Pau for it, but definately among the medal contenders every single time.
          Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
          That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
            When Navarro and Pau retire, sure it will be an end of an era, however Spain will still be up there with the best, probably not a superpower as you need that extra player like Pau for it, but definately among the medal contenders every single time.
            My thoughts exactly. maybe on top of this, I actually think they'll still be superpower mainly because their players are loyal to NT (the most important aspect atm) and their youngsters are as good as anyone else's, if not better. Considering these, I cannot see a better-suited candidate for the gold next time.

PS. I know it's more about the end of the Pau&Navarro era, but they lost one game only (albeit badly), they got a bronze medal, and that's still considered their downfall.
            5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Looking down the road two and three years from now Spain at full strength would consist of Mid 30's, Marc Gasol and Sergio Rodriguez. Early 30's Sergio Llull, and prime Rubio, Abrines, Mirotic, and Hernangomez brothers. For me that would place them behind the USA, Serbia and France as the top medal contenders and in the following group with Greece, Australia, Canada, Lithuania and others. They might be the best of that group but not as good as the top 3 in my opinion.
              Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
                Looking down the road two and three years from now Spain at full strength would consist of Mid 30's, Marc Gasol and Sergio Rodriguez. Early 30's Sergio Llull, and prime Rubio, Abrines, Mirotic, and Hernangomez brothers. For me that would place them behind the USA, Serbia and France as the top medal contenders and in the following group with Greece, Australia, Canada, Lithuania and others. They might be the best of that group but not as good as the top 3 in my opinion.
                behind Serbia and France, yes, but only if their players show up, which has been proven to be a big IF.
                and they'll be above the 2nd group of teams even if those come in with their best possible roster. imho, of course.
                5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information