Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Varejao and agent want $10 million per season...ridiculous

Unemployment ranks: NBA's top 10 job seekers - November 7, 2007 - Chris Sheridan

1. Anderson Varejao, FC
    "We are at an impasse," said agent Dan Fegan, who rejected the Cavs' latest offer on the eve of the start of the regular season and has offered to have an impartial arbitrator brought in. Fegan is trying to find teams willing to do a sign-and-trade with the Cavs, and Cleveland general manager Danny Ferry would agree to one if an affordable big man came in return.

And although Varejao is now reportedly willing to sign a one-year deal with Cleveland for a salary around the midlevel exception, the Cavs will not make that type of offer. If the impasse doesn't end, Varejao is considering playing this season in the Spanish League. But his NBA rights would continue to belong to Cleveland for as long as the Cavs continued to make him an offseason qualifying offer.
    Now, I don't know all the facts, but I think Cleveland's management is being unfair. I don't believe that Varejao wants $10 million or more per year. I think maybe that's something that the Cavs management put in the press. If he really is offering a one-year, $5 million deal, that's reasonable and the Cavs should pay it. Also, if his agent offered to have an impartial arbitrator, the Cavs must accept it. I think the Cavs are trying give Varejao low-ball money because they know that Varejao can't do anything about it. Shame on the Cavs.

Funny how things turn around in time. I remember I red some article about S.Jovaisa and other members of Soviet Union NT. They travelled around the world with a team and they were buying clothes and stuff from abroad, then they sold things in market. "We made more money selling things, than earned by playing basketball" - sayed Jovaisa.

Now some dude with funny haircut wants 10.000.000USD per year ? Sounds very funny to me, for example - Zalgiris Kaunas and Vilnius LRytas budget is about 12.300.000USD, so you can create 2 Euroleague teams with this money

City of Kukoč, Rađa, Vujčić, Balić and Ivanišević

I saw somewhere on net his interview, and he was in Vitoria during the interview...

So, is he maybe close to Tau Ceramica?

Any news about him and his situation?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ACB league
    Scola & Ginobili 4 life
    TAU & Lakers supporter
    need4sheed.com

Quote Originally Posted by jugoplastika
    I saw somewhere on net his interview, and he was in Vitoria during the interview...

So, is he maybe close to Tau Ceramica?

Any news about him and his situation?
    He's in Brazilian Vitoria

City of Kukoč, Rađa, Vujčić, Balić and Ivanišević

Quote Originally Posted by Basket_
    He's in Brazilian Vitoria
    Brazilian Vitoria?

Oh no!

Tnx for info.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ACB league
    Scola & Ginobili 4 life
    TAU & Lakers supporter
    need4sheed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Test
    Now some dude with funny haircut wants 10.000.000USD per year ?
    The rich declare themselves poor
    And most of us are not sure
    If we have too much
    But we'll take our chances
    Because god's stopped keeping score

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux
    The rich declare themselves poor
    And most of us are not sure
    If we have too much
    But we'll take our chances
    Because god's stopped keeping score
    LuDux is turning into an Irish limerick-maker.

There still isn't any movement with Varejao. It's looking more and more like he might really sit out the season....just in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mvblair
    LuDux is turning into an Irish limerick-maker.
    Actually it's only few lines from the song I wrote for George Michael
    But enough about me. How do you like video I shot for this song?

Varejao to Bobcats?

Quote Originally Posted by parso View Post
    Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
    Quote Originally Posted by sseppel View Post
    it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
    Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Looks like it, Arkadios!! I didn't see this coming....
    Bobcats sign Cavaliers holdout Varejao -- by MIKE CRANSTON, AP Sports Writer, December 4, 2007

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- In need of a big man, the Charlotte Bobcats reached agreement Tuesday on a three-year offer sheet with Cleveland restricted free agent Anderson Varejao, giving the Cavaliers a week to match the deal or lose him.

Financial figures were not available. Varejao's agent, Dan Fegan, could not immediately be reached.

The 6-foot-10 Varejao has been in a prolonged contract dispute with the Cavaliers, which has kept him sidelined this season. He said last week that he would prefer to be traded.

The 25-year-old Varejao averaged 6.8 points and 6.7 rebounds last season in helping the Cavaliers reach the NBA finals for the first time.

Bobcats coach Sam Vincent has been pleading for a big man since the beginning of the season. The Bobcats lost Sean May to season-ending knee surgery in training camp. Starting center Primoz Brezec has been ineffective and was replaced in the starting lineup by rookie Jared Dudley Monday night in Toronto, the Bobcats' sixth straight loss.

Before training camp opened, Varejao turned down Cleveland's one-year, $1.2 million qualifying offer. If he had signed that deal, the former second-round pick could have become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

In late October, the Cavaliers rejected a six-year, $52 million package presented by Fegan.

Varejao is known for his energy and defense, and the move comes a day after Vincent questioned his team's focus and preparation following the 98-79 loss to the Raptors.

The Bobcats, with 15 guaranteed contracts, would have to release a player to add Varejao if the Cavaliers don't match the offer.
    I don't understand how the Bobcats can sign Varejao if Cleveland controls everything about his contract....is there a "sign and trade" deal going on or what?

Quote Originally Posted by mvblair
    Looks like it, Arkadios!! I didn't see this coming....
    It was on Charlotte Observer website some days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by parso View Post
    Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
    Quote Originally Posted by sseppel View Post
    it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
    Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

AP -
    In need of a big man, the Bobcats reached agreement Tuesday on a three-year offer sheet with Cleveland restricted free agent Anderson Varejao, giving the Cavaliers a week to match the deal or lose him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux
    AP -
    In need of a big man, the Bobcats reached agreement Tuesday on a three-year offer sheet with Cleveland restricted free agent Anderson Varejao, giving the Cavaliers a week to match the deal or lose him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    I'm curious as to how the Bobcats can make an offer sheet if he's an unrestricted free agent...

Bobcats interested in Cavs' Varejao? -- by RICK BONNELL, December 4, 2007, Charlotte Observer

.......So what's all this about?

An educated guess: Varejao wants to become an unrestricted free agent as soon as possible. The Cavaliers wanted to lock him up for longer than two years at an affordable price. The two sides can't come to a compromise.

So Varejao's agent, Dan Fegan, forced the issue by contacting the Bobcats. Charlotte general manager Rod Higgins has a history with Fegan. His former team, the Golden State Warriors, signed Fegan clients Troy Murphy and Jason Richardson to big contracts. Then the Bobcats acquired Richardson.

And this summer, the Bobcats successfully re-signed another Fegan client, Matt Carroll.

Varejao would certainly address the Bobcats' immediate need for help inside. He's an energy guy and a rugged rebounder.

But the chances of the Bobcats actually acquiring Varejao appear remote. At best, this likely becomes a favor for an agent and an effort to show the fan base that the front office is trying to do something about the lack of depth among big men.
    Off Topic: If Charlotte would use their best big man, Varejao's South American rival Herrmann, they wouldn't have a frontcourt problem!

I guess it doesn't matter because Big V is going home to the...
    CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!!!!!
    Our boy is coming back home and he can enjoy the nice fresh snow!

Varejao Returning to Cleveland -- December 4, 2007, John Ludden, Yahoo! Sports

So Anderson Varejao gets his $17 million and a chance to prove he's worth more in two seasons, and the Cleveland Cavaliers get back their floppy-haired, frenetic forward at a below-market cost.

And, for that, even the Cavaliers' rivals should be thankful.

By staring down Varejao's stubborn agent, Dan Fegan, Cavs GM Danny Ferry struck a blow for front office officials everywhere. Ferry didn't just beat one of the league's toughest negotiators -- "Danny Ferry cleaned (Fegan's) clock," said one giddy rival agent -- he prevented Fegan from setting a precedent for other prospective holdout candidates.

Had Ferry caved to Fegan's contract demands, which, at one time, were said to average $10 million a season, future restricted free agents would have had considerably greater incentive to stage their own sit-and-wait campaigns.

"To an agent, this could have become the NFL," said a general manager of another NBA team, alluding to the NFL's propensity for enduring training-camp holdouts. "We could have lost all decorum to team building."

Cleveland officials were "pleasantly surprised" when they were notified Varejao had signed the Charlotte Bobcats' three-year offer sheet worth slightly more than $17 million. The Bobcats' offer contains an opt-out clause allowing Varejao to become a free agent after two seasons, one season earlier than the Cavs would have liked, but also one season later than Fegan initially sought in his negotiations with the team. More importantly, the offer is for less money annually than what the Cavs had offered. Charlotte didn't bother to structure the contract to include a large lump payment, further evidence even the Bobcats knew the Cavs planned to keep Varejao.

The Cavaliers intend to match the offer sheet not long after it hits their desk. They want Varejao in uniform as quickly as possible. He isn't going to fix all of their problems, but he'll certainly help.

The Cavs also aren't worried about the comments Varejao made last week when he claimed he no longer wanted to play for Cleveland, dismissing them as the type of rhetoric that sometimes surfaces during difficult negotiations. Even if Varejao is disgruntled, he still needs to play hard -- and continue to be a good teammate -- if he wants to eventually land the type of payday he feels he deserves.

For now, Varejao will take his $17 million and the Cavaliers will celebrate. So should nearly every other team.
    This will help a little. Varejao is going to give us some really nice energy and some good defense. Unfortunately, it's our offense that is really struggling right now. But Big V is going to help us a lot.

Now Cavs shoud get Kidd and they will be unstoppable force in NBA

Ilgas
    Varejao/Gooden
    Lebron
    Gibson
    Kidd

WOW

Hey Matt, how is everyone's reaction to Varejao? he was the fan favorite for sometime, but after all that's happened, what's the feeling over there?? Here's my thoughts (from IBN News section) over the last couple weeks....

Anderson Varejao Debuts (Only 20 games into the Season!)
    From causing chaos off the court, to causing chaos back on the court (and getting paid millions for it), Anderson Varejao made his first appearance this season last night vs. the Pacers. We couldn’t get a good reading on how the Cavs fans took to him as he entered the game the same time as the back-from-injury Lebron James and Larry Hughes.

It was a really smart move reportedly initiated by Lebron James, “I thought it would raise the intensity of the fans, having me, Larry and Andy come in at the same time — and it worked,” James said. “I thought by coming in with Andy it might stop some of the boos Andy might get, just protecting my teammates.”

A King manipulating his subjects, unheard of! Though Varejao ended up playing well in his return (6 points and 9 rebounds in 23 minutes), I would have loved to see how the Cleveland crowd would have reacted to a player that basically stated that he would never play for Cleveland again.
    In case you’re wondering, I would have boo’ed him.
    from last week: Will Anderson Varejao Still be a Fan Favorite if he Returns to Cleveland?
    So Anderson Varejao decides to sign an offer sheet with the Bobcats… 3 years for 17 million… The Cavs have said that they’ll match the offer, but as of this writing nothing is solid. Varejao can opt out of the deal after the second season and become an unrestricted free agent - which is likely in either case.

Why? I think it’s plainly obvious that Andy is settling for 5.5 million a season and playing for the Bobcats for transparent reasons. Nothing wrong with playing with the improving-Bobcats, but if the choice is to play for $5.5 million on the maybe-playoffs Charlotte Bobcats or play with LeBron James and the Cavs, the Eastern conference champions? Andy’s got dollar signs in his eyes still.

It seems to me that Varejao’s plan is to play his ass off, opt-out when the time comes, and play the free-agent game again trying to get his ridiculous 10/mil. Andy my friend, you better pull in 20 and 10 this season to even get close to that — good luck. You’re competing with a lot of other up-and-coming Bobcats that have already established themselves offensively with the Cats — Okafor, the under-rated Raymond Felton, Gerald Wallace, Matt Carroll, and Jason Richardson. Whoa, on second thought you better focus on grabbing 15 rebounds, blocking 5 shots, and play D like Ben Wallace circa 2004 in order to get the 10 mil you are looking for. Maybe the Bulls will sign you?

Stuart

Good blogs, by the way, Stubie.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart
    Hey Matt, how is everyone's reaction to Varejao? he was the fan favorite for sometime, but after all that's happened, what's the feeling over there??
    I think most Clevelanders are just happy he's back. Most of us still love Varejao and realize that this was a case of him being manipulated by his agent. Yes, I blame Varejao for picking a money-grubbing idiot, but I don't think it was Varejao himself who wanted a 5-year, $60 million contract. It was all Dan Fegan, his agent.

LeBron James, in my opinion, is getting a little full of himself, a little too arrogant. Maybe he's being misquoted or his statements are taken out of contest, but he keeps saying things like "I've got to do this and I've got to do that, and then we'll win games." Now with this comment about how he's the reason the crowd was cheering, I think it adds a little to his conceit. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but that's just how I'm starting to feel.

I think Varejao would have been cheered. I don't think anybody is upset with him. Fans see him as the cavalry for the Cavaliers, but we also realize that we'll need more help than he can give at this point. We're in desperate need of a play-maker and somebody besides LeBron and Sasha who can shoot threes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12