Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: 2019 World Cup Qualifying Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Why healthy Gudaitis couldn't serve as JV and Domas replacement (I think you want it to say backup)?

Adequate replacement

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    In last 6 Euroleague games before injuries Kavaliauskas averaged 14.2 minutes, 10.2 points shooting 71% from the floor and 95 (21/22) from the line and 3.2 rebounds.

We need 3rd center as injury insurance anyway and I doubt even healthy Gudaitis could serve as JV or Domas replacement. JV and Domas playing around 25 minutes cover C position and give 10+ minutes at PF. Now we have around 25 minutes at PF and SF left that we can fill any combination of Kuzminskas Bendzius Maciulis Ulanovas and Kavaliauskas/Jankunas/Motiejunas if they choose to attend
    After the King Mindaugas Tournament this past weekend I now have even more serious doubts about what if anything Antanas Kavaliauskas is still capable of bringing to Team Lietuva. Consider:

On Saturday in the blow-out victory against Lietkabelis, Kavaliauskas played 16:30 minutes and scored 8 points with an Efficiency rating of 12. Respectable.

BUT, the very next day in a tight game against Rytas he played only 4:44 minutes with an Efficiency of 2! And Laurynas Birutis wasn't available! So why didn't Kavaliauskas play more in the final when he could have been needed? Did he suffer an injury? Because otherwise it shows that he doesn't have enough in the tank to play even respectable minutes two days in a row. That's not the type of player I'd want in a tournament where games are played every second day.

Last edited by Hepcat; 02-19-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Edgaras Ulanovas is actually the player around whom there should be some question right now. He just hasn't looked good very often this year. To me it looks as if Arnas Butkevičius should be given a hard look and a fair chance to take Ulanovas' spot in camp this summer.
    Man, comparing players with only stats is worthless. Butkevicius wouldn't even make Zalgiris roster. Ulanovas doesn't have the best season so far, I mean Euroleague first of all, at some games he just went unnoticed, but he is just better player between the two
    So I was waiting for some playoff or other big games between Rytas and Žalgiris so that we could compare the play of the two fellows against each other. On this basis Butkevičius has taken the first pie out of the oven. Here are their comparative stats from Sunday's King Mindaugas final:

----------------------- MIN --- PTS ---- EFF ----- +/-

Arnas Butkevičius -- 32:45 -- 10 ----- 10 ------ -3
    Edgaras Ulanovas -- 26:27 -- 04 ----- 01 ------ -13

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a hater of Ulanovas. Nor am I saying categorically that Butkevičius is the better player of the two. I am however saying that Ulanovas does not deserve a red carpet laid out for a reserved roster spot this summer. Ulanovas should have to demonstrate over the course of the rest of the season and at the Team Lietuva camp that he deserves a roster spot. In my book he has to earn it. And he's going to face some competition.

Overall though I have an open mind when it comes to roster spots. I'm willing to wait and watch and give players the opportunity to play their way onto the team, or off the team.

Last edited by Hepcat; Yesterday at 09:10 PM.

Exclamation

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Lithuanian team functions this weekend with Šarūnas Vasiliauskas, Žygimantas Janavičius and Dovis Bičkauskis at the helm of the offence. I'm also interested in seeing what Egidijus Mockevičius and Martinas Geben can bring to the team playing the low post. Who knows, any of these fellows could be called upon to fill out the roster this summer for the 2019 WC.

Last edited by Hepcat; Yesterday at 04:26 PM.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Lithuanian team functions this weekend with Šarūnas Vasiliauskas, Žygimantas Janavičius and Dovis Bičkauskis at the helm of the offence. I'm also interested in seeing what Egidijus Mockevičius and Martinas Geben can bring to the team playing the low post. Who knows, any of these fellows could be called upon to fill out the roster this summer for the 2019 WC.

To me there's 2 players who are serious contenders to make WC team to watch - Janavicius and Giedraitis. Janavicius I think is a serious candidate in case Mantas or Lukas wouldn't be available. He's a touch defender and limited, but not a crappy playmaker. We need guards who can play D. As for Giedraitis, he is the best or second best player along with Seibutis in this roster. I want to see him showing some things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Question

Incidentally, what did the Dutch team do to create fits for the Lithuanian team right in Vilnius on September 17th? What kind of adjustments should Coach Adomaitis make to prevent this from happening again on Friday?

Incidentally, what did the Dutch team do to create fits for the Lithuanian team right in Vilnius on September 17th? What kind of adjustments should Coach Adomaitis make to prevent this from happening again on Friday?

Effort, defensive presence and not moronic substitutions in the clutch will do it. Lithuania played after amazing game against Croatia so we had stamina and interest issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627