2019 World Cup Qualifying Odyssey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roofman View Post
    Absolutely Simmons has the potential to be a game changer, and coach Lemanis said he plans to use him similar to the 76 ers (Lemanis in fact was assistant to Brett Brown from 2008-2012 so they talk regularly), meaning I expect he will be a forward defensively (perhaps even centre at times), which is where the mismatch between him and opponents is greatest IMO, because it is very, very, difficult to match up with him in transition. I think Kuzminskas will be a pretty good match up for him, don't know who else can stay in front of him, maybe someone here knows better.
    No-one. Speaking about transition defence it should be team's effort, we should get a hammer for first 4 fouls in the quarter. Doubling Simmons early in the contra- attack is an idea that pops in my mind. At set offence, Kuzminskas should stand one meter away from him. I think we have a best shot at mixed zone, risking entirely on Simmons shooting early in the game, just leaving him wide open in perimeter. We should give Simmons any jump shot he wants basically, at least early in the game. The problem however is, our coach is absolute mediocrity and he won't offer anything smart or unconventional here, like zero.

To me, the only chance to beat you is to match or even to beat Australia physically wise. That's the only way, IMO. We are not even close at the moment to expect to beat you with the talent or scoring power. We can beat you only the way we handled Serbia in 2015. Man's defence with the hammers in our hands. Now with Simmons it's super difficult task, but I do believe Bogut is one step weaker these days, Mills and Delly declined tiny half a step, maybe even Ingles by an inch and Simmons is young and unpredictable. Can we get into Mills and Ingles skin mentally and physically? And can we play cheeky, physical, super aggressive defensively basketball..That's the only question. Other than more talented bigs, we have nothing on Australia at the moment. We have less talented roster, we have weaker coach and we probably be weaker tactics wise.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Here is the announced Aussie 17 man squad.

17-MAN AUSTRALIAN BOOMERS SQUAD

DENG ADEL - Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA)
      ARON BAYNES - Boston Celtics (NBA)
      TODD BLANCHFIELD - Illawarra Hawks
      ANDREW BOGUT - Sydney Kings/Golden State Warriors (NBA)
      JONAH BOLDEN - Philadelphia 76ers (NBA)
      MITCH CREEK - South East Melbourne Phoenix
      MATTHEW DELLAVEDOVA - Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA)
      CAMERON GLIDDON - Brisbane Bullets
      CHRIS GOULDING - Melbourne United
      JOE INGLES - Utah Jazz (NBA)
      NICHOLAS KAY - Perth Wildcats
      JOCK LANDALE - Partizan (Serbia)
      MITCH MCCARRON -Melbourne United
      PATTY MILLS - San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
      BROCK MOTUM - Anadolu Efes (Turkey)
      BEN SIMMONS - Philadelphia 76ers (NBA)
      NATHAN SOBEY - Brisbane Bullets

Commentary:

The 18-man squad tasked with trying to deliver Australia its first ever World Cup medal has been named in Melbourne this morning. Following a basketball season that broke viewership and engagement records both at home and abroad, there was intense competition for spots.

That is a deep talent pool. They should be favorites for the pool.
      Last edited by mojo13; 05-23-2019, 02:37 AM.

Comment

• See my comment on this squad on the FIBA WC page. Can't be bothered copying and pasting....

Comment

• Impressive roster, some well known names, some local league standouts. Saw some action of Nick Kay this season, really liked the guy with his energy, hustle, soft touch from beyond the arc. I suppose he is the lock above some Brock Motum or Jock Landale, who will hardly crack the rotation. Mitch Creek can be used as PF too. I guess only questions remains in backcourt, who will fulfill the spots after Simmons, Mills, Matty, Ingles

Comment

• I would be very surprised to see Landale make the Aussie team. I really like him as a person and he is a good player, but he has never played for Lemanis, and he provides no point of difference to the traditional bigs, so I expect Bolden to be picked for some x-factor. Will be good to see how Jock goes in Zalgiris Kaunas though.

Kay could be a surprise packet, 1st team all NBL, played virtually all qualifiers, FIBA Asia, Commonwealth Games etc... Lemanis is big on him.... I am surprised he has developed so much given he was only a US division 2 college player (Metro State) and not heavily recruited by clubs in Australia or Europe.

I only worry that our team won't have time to be cohesive, not kidding, we only have four warm up games.

Comment

• With Australia announcing 17 men squad, here's what I expect to see from Lithuania:

Kalnietis, Lekavicius, Janavicius
              Grigonis, Seibutis, Milaknis, Juskevicius
              Ulanovas, Giedraitis, Butkevicius
              Sabonis, Kuzminskas, Maciulis
              Valanciunas, Gudaitis, Kavaliauskas

Assuming both Maciulis and Gudaitis out, I would add three more names - Geben, Ehodas and Sedekerskis

I know most of you would think I missed Bendzius, but just don't want him in the NT. Not with that defence. And his offence sucks in most of any more serious games.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• OK, Hepcat will be delighted. I'm starting to see a spot for Butkevičius. I think today he might be the most athletic small forward we have (aside Kuz who is locked at 4). He might actually be the best defensive forward we have today (even better than Ulanovas and Maciulis, though it's debatable). If I would think he's that kind of player to throw against Simmons, I would like Butkevicius chances. He's strongest forward on his legs defensively today, usable from 1 to 3 at D. I also think we should lock Giedraitis as third SG. Let's face it, he's better than Juskevicius, Milaknis. If Milaknis can bring elite catch and shoot perimeter ability, he can bring that and much more. Here's the puzzle I want today:

Kalnietis, Lekavicius
                Grigonis, Seibutis, Giedraitis
                Ulanovas, Butkevicius
                Sabonis, Kuzminskas, Maciulis
                Valanciunas, Gudaitis

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Quite unexpected, but Jankunas leaves the door open for NT. Thought that he is done with it after injury plagued season. Anyway, his real capabilities nowadays is under question. If he could finally rest like in summer 2017 and revive his shape from 2017/2018, he would be great help, but I have my doubts now

Comment

• Let's look realistically Jankunas at 35 is close to be done.I don't see him playing in summers anymore and don't feel he can really help even if he wanted.Wouldnt be surprised seeing that Paulius will retire after next season,he can't stay healthy anymore.How he runs today he looks like Javtokas of 2016...he is just too slow to play pf these days.Last summer he also was resting,but theres come a point doesn't matter how much you rest,your body just can't take professional level speeds anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                      Let's look realistically Jankunas at 35 is close to be done.I don't see him playing in summers anymore and don't feel he can really help even if he wanted.Wouldnt be surprised seeing that Paulius will retire after next season,he can't stay healthy anymore.How he runs today he looks like Javtokas of 2016...he is just too slow to play pf these days.Last summer he also was resting,but theres come a point doesn't matter how much you rest,your body just can't take professional level speeds anymore.
                      He wasn't resting previous summer. He underwent two quite serious surgeries and he wasn't prepared for the season properly, that's huge setback for a veteran, and it was clearly seen right from the start. Then two injuries, especially the second one was out of nowhere thnx to dumb move by rival player. All this combined you have such season. Now he doesn't have any serious health issues, just minor injury, so no surgeries expected either. Of course the question remains will he be able to get his shape back or how much of it. Or will he take a chance with NT at all. All remains to be seen, but such experience would be helpful, especially with already depleted frontcourt

Comment

• If it would be goodbye Olympics I could see a point for Paulius to try to will himself to play,but it's wc so I see no logic,when it's obviuos his body had dramatic decline last year or so.His body language for my eyes looks like Javtokas or Songaila of last year in zalgiris.He had no chance defending streach fours this season in zalgiris.I see him playing undersize center with shooting touch in very limited minutes next season on that level,but that's it.Surely he can play on lkl level like lavro brothers does for more years,but not againsts euroleague competion.

Comment

• Situation with the bigs is mysterious now. We have three locks in JV, Domas, Kuz. After those I would simply want to see Gudaitis and Maciulis, but obviously they are under huge question, more like unavailable now. But the puzzle doesn't end here...the problem is that not only Jankunas', but also Kavaliauskas' abilities are kind questionable now. Kavaliauskas at the end of the season was so bad at D that it was tough to watch it. I would surely trust Jankunas defensively at 5 and overall I would trust him more than Kavaliauskas. If Gudaitis is out, I would take Jankunas as 5. If Gudaitis in, Maciulis out, I would still like Jankunas as 4 for couple of minutes. But my optimal froncourt is this one, with Maciulis as the best stretch 4 defender. If Maciulis and Gudaitis in, Adomaitis should sit down with Jankunas and say rest your old body, fellow, with all the respect:

Sabonis, Kuzminksas, Maciulis
                          Valanciunas, Gudaitis

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

If it would be goodbye Olympics I could see a point for Paulius to try to will himself to play,but it's wc so I see no logic,when it's obviuos his body had dramatic decline last year or so.His body language for my eyes looks like Javtokas or Songaila of last year in zalgiris.He had no chance defending streach fours this season in zalgiris.I see him playing undersize center with shooting touch in very limited minutes next season on that level,but that's it.Surely he can play on lkl level like lavro brothers does for more years,but not againsts euroleague competion.
                            It's impossible to decline that much in few months. It was injuries that kept him being slower, and it was such type of injuries which really bothers your movement, had similar one by myself, so I know what I'm saying. He basically wasn't healthy all season long. Now only time will tell if he will be able to rest, recover and be at 100% again. Jankunas optimism regarding the situation makes me believe that it's possible, but we'll see

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                              It's impossible to decline that much in few months. It was injuries that kept him being slower, and it was such type of injuries which really bothers your movement, had similar one by myself, so I know what I'm saying. He basically wasn't healthy all season long. Now only time will tell if he will be able to rest, recover and be at 100% again. Jankunas optimism regarding the situation makes me believe that it's possible, but we'll see
                              comon men after 33-34 years old decline happens very fast,you dont even understand when.Just one day understand your body is not same no matter how hard you try.After 35 years old only greats of all time still was dominant.Like Sabonis,Pau or Nowtizky ,but thats all time greats that had unique one in million tallents and could fight age longer.Jankunas is not in that category,jankunas is in Songailas mortal category.How Songaila look at 34 in 2012 we all remember and Paulius is even year older today.After 5 months when next season begins he will not begin to run faster.

Jankunas will get Kavaliauskas role in zalgiris or F.Reyes in real about 10-12minutes per game,if zalgiris want to have healthy all season.I dont believe his body can take bigger minutes anymore.
                              Last edited by Shawshank; 06-03-2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

comon men after 33-34 years old decline happens very fast,you dont even understand when.Just one day understand your body is not same no matter how hard you try.After 35 years old only greats of all time still was dominant.Like Sabonis,Pau or Nowtizky ,but thats all time greats that had unique one in million tallents and could fight age longer.Jankunas is not in that category,jankunas is in Songailas mortal category.How Songaila look at 34 in 2012 we all remember and Paulius is even year older today.After 5 months when next season begins he will not begin to run faster.
                                God damnit, what Songaila has to do with it, or even Sabas, Gasol or Dirk. Read carefully what I'm writing - Jankunas didn't decline out of sudden, he was playing injured all season long. Spot the difference

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information