Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 World Cup Qualifying Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Damn, Juskevicius, Echodas and Masiulis as first cuts. Maybe Adomaitis learned something after all.

Now he needs to understand Bendzius is a waste of time and I would highly suggest to cut Geben as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Indeed, it looks like Giedraitis can pack his bags to China. I thought Juskevicius will stay longer in consideration, cause that poor shooting vs Spain must have been due to physical practices, but I guess there's simply no place for him in current NT schemes. Good choice nonetheless. While Echodas and Masiulis there were just to fill the roster until Domas and JV joined.
    I expected that Gytis Masiulis, Martynas Echodas and Eimantas Bendžius would be the first three players to go. Given how he's always answered the call and contributed to the team in the past, I'm saddened to see Adas Juškevičius cut loose so quickly. But the rationale behind the coaches' decision is very clear. Rokas Giedraitis is simply a better SG right now, and Žygimantas Janavičius is a better option if and when an emergency replacement at PG is needed.
    Last edited by Hepcat; 08-05-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Dreamcatcher, you're must be on holiday and having some good weed, huh? Adomaitis literally confirmed Giedraitis will play pure shooters role comfirming he's a lock, but you cutting him, I mean...Now you're must be naive to think Jankunas has at least 1% chance to be a cut...Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, but just had to say this.

Shawn, again you're making myths about the glory of 2013 team. Even 2015 team was better, at the very least not worse. You overrate that team way too much. Current team with a beast Sabonis, prime JV, prime Kuzminskas, upcoming Grigonis and still decent bunch of veterans should be much stronger than your hyping 2013 which was basically mediocre team compared to the same 2012. Just got good draw, some fantastic luck and peaked in right moment. Also you're way too emphasizing generations. It's about the key players. NT is a combination of various generations, but the key players make the difference. 92 generation is composed of role players and JV, that's it. Our chances to grab medals will mostly depend on JV, Sabonis, Kuzminskas, (Grigonis, Kalnietis to a lesser degree) this year and few years further and than we will expect other stand-outs to join if we about to have serious wishes to contend. Those solid role players is good, but they won't bring medals. We should hope Brazdeikis, Sedekerskis, Kulboka, Sirvydis will ripe to above average players as wee need more talent. I predict they will and some of them will play much more important roles in 2023 and 2024 than role players of 92 generation. Your theories is always reactionary and too slow. If there will be studs they will prevail pushing out decent/solid players. If there won't be additional studs prevailing in 2021-2025 I don't see us grabbing medals, maybe one at best. Because in 2013 and even 2015 we had some ridiculous luck (like Maciulis 36pts game against Georgia or young Croatia and Italy in the knock out stage of 2013).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Straight forward, i wrote that before seeing any words of Adomaitis. Regarding Jankunas it's more my wish. Anyway, nevermind.

So basically only European players are taking wc seriously. Canada will miss smth like 10 NBA players. USA won't have any single star, will they? Simmons won't play even if he planned to do it before. I expected to see those Nigerian giants against our team, but it won't happen as well. The group still shouldn't be easy of course, but i suppose it shouldn't be a death one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Straight forward, i wrote that before seeing any words of Adomaitis. Regarding Jankunas it's more my wish. Anyway, nevermind.

So basically only European players are taking wc seriously. Canada will miss smth like 10 NBA players. USA won't have any single star, will they? Simmons won't play even if he planned to do it before. I expected to see those Nigerian giants against our team, but it won't happen as well. The group still shouldn't be easy of course, but i suppose it shouldn't be a death one as well.
    We'll play Senegal, not Nigeria
    And group is still tough. Maybe now Senegal can be written off as not being a possible surprise package anymore, no Dieng will hurt them big time, no PG like Hannah too. Still some good bigs like Youssou Ndoye, Babacar Toure, Hamady Ndiaye, but nothing too much to worry about. Of course there's captain Maurice Ndour, he is a classy player, but stoppable.
    Australia is still group favorites in my book and Canada is still good, no matter the losses, on which people focuses too much, but forgets that they still has some decent players left. They will try to shoot the lights out against every rival. First friendly last night vs Nigeria proved that - 36 attempts from 3 and 15 made. If they'll have good shooting night they can beat both Aussies and us

I agree. Canada as well as Australia will be really tough. All of Australia, Canada and Lithuania belong in the top eight teams of this tournament and it's a real shame that one will be eliminated early. And it's all because FIBA leaned over backward to ensure that China got a candy ass preliminary group.

If Olynyk goes down as well, Canada is in real trouble. But, yeah, even such player as Pangos would be much needed for Lithuanian NT so we shouldn't and we will surely not underrate them. That's why I say p'n'r and p'n'p defence will be the key against Canada. They will use is a lot and they will shoot a lot. Adomaitis should be ready to limit JV's minutes if that's a nightmare match-up for him defensively. NBA coaches did that, we should do that as well. JV will have his hands full with Australian lumberjacks.

Damn, I hope our coaching staff this time will be able to handle this team, they have so many interesting line-ups, material. Main issues I see:

- How to solve JV's p'n'r defence. I would suggest "trap". Both defensive players come together right after the screen takes place and trap the ball with their hands up and feet continually moving. JV would have much better chances with his long hands than switching or hedging. And when we have Mills or Ingles our main focus should be to avoid their shooting fiesta. So far Adomaitis didn't show any indications of such defence, but I hope to see something new against Serbia or later.

- How to cover Lekavicius height problem against some line-ups. When we say have Kalnietis, Grigonis, Maciulis, Kuzminskas, Sabonis line-up we can basically switch everything, but with Lekavicius we should have flexible team defence closer the paint area. We'll need special defensive adjustments for JV' and Lekavicius' defence.

- How to make offence more vital and not so one-dimentional when we have JV and Kalnietis at O. We will ply endless p'n'r and Kalnietis will kick the ball to the corners, but we tend to be too predictable with such line-up and some changes should be involved here. JV should be looking to pass the ball, to facilitate more freaquently witch he did rather nicely last season.

- Let it run. Adomaitis should allow the team runafter a quick rebounds, as we can outrun most of the teams in WC. Sabonis, Kuzminskas, Butkevicius, Grigonis/Giedraitis, Lekavicius would be a great running offensive line-up. We actually have plenty of running line-ups configurations, specially if we take Butkevicius and I believe it's a must.

Coaches have great material and a lot of work, we'll see how they will cope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

interesting Maciulis podcats its always fun to listening to Jonas he will tell the truth without no hesitation.

some interesting remarks from interview:

Older players was asked by federation which coach they want from Adomaitis,Kurtinaitis,Maskvytis and all of them said Adomaitis.Most of our fans really dislike Adomaitis ,but players support him strongly. Maybe is Jasikevicius effect?

for winning silver in 2015 every our player got 1,800 euros,spanish players for gold in 2015 got 200,000 each

this is 12th summer representing men NT (not counting junior Nt). From 2001-2019 Jonas Maciulis had 2 free summers 2006 (was too old for youth team,not good enough for men team and 2011 (injury). I believe he played most games with ltu jersey combined all tournaments than anyone else in this milenium and still open to play in 2020. Two decades of loyal services ,with not a single time saying "no".

Maciulis played 5 youth tournaments 2001-2005 in those tournaments NT won 4 medals and one 4th place.With men NT 4 medals (record sharing with 2 other ltu players)

For of all of his furiuos actions on the couart ,outside it Maciulis is openly simple like 5 cents.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 08-10-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Mačiulis got little confused and overall I've got an impression his memory is not super sharp, but who cares. Jasikevicius was in the voting and he took the No1 spot in the voting. Federation reached him, but he rejected the offer. Second in the list was Adomaitis. Personally, I think it was a dumb idea to make such voting in the first place.

Also, I feel Maciulis is a bit naive still hoping to end his career in Zalgiris. It's not impossible, but, IMO, highly unlikely now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mačiulis got little confused and overall I've got an impression his memory is not super sharp, but who cares. Jasikevicius was in the voting and he took the No1 spot in the voting. Federation reached him, but he rejected the offer. Second in the list was Adomaitis. Personally, I think it was a dumb idea to make such voting in the first place.

Also, I feel Maciulis is a bit naive still hoping to end his career in Zalgiris. It's not impossible, but, IMO, highly unlikely now.
    In what voting Jasikevicius took first place? Fans?

Jasikevicius was clear federation favorite, but he said no .And after that federation asked players to vote from those 3 names .Maciulis said Jaska name wasn't on table when they were asked somewhere in 2016/2017 season.

His memory was shaky about games that he played hundreds for ltu NT,but what goes about other things he remembered clearly with no hesitation.

Watching Serbian game I'm more convince we need one more big body.For me it's hard to imagine that one of JV or Domas won't get in faul trouble, atleast one of them in every game.

Domantas has his father temper and againts Serbians you can't do that.Arvydas always had problems controling temper againts flopping serbians, same Domantas even reaction of face is very similiar

Jankunas body looks like Songaila in later years brain is saying right things, but body is reacting very slowly.

Kuzminskas is playing only as Pf in 3 games didn't seen him playing as SF.He has speed advantage here always.And our team will need his 1 Vs 1 abilities badly when defences will toughen up .

Mantas and Lukas will be fine.

Bendzius and Janavicius didn't even played and in only shows their role in this team.

In closing games, when nothing works in team play, I want ball in Grigonis or Kuzminskas hands give them place and let them play 1 vs 1.

Neither of our two star bigs could do much offensively today due to biased refereeing, but defensively they were very good - I've counted 4 or 5 blocks by JV in his limited minutes and Domantas was pretty good too. Defensively this team will be very good and offense will come with time too when all the rust and dust will be shaken off

It's will be a tough call between Geben and Butkevicius, but I still go with Butkevicius. Geben might look like sollutiion here and there, but he sucks as a school pupil in some situations it's not even forth mentioning. He has very little highest quality BB experienced, he basically doesn't have any. One or other good moment, sure, he is that good, but overall we will have some face palms with him if we take him. Sabonis and JV won't be dropping out with PFs every game like that, come on Now Jankunas just rusty, he is still much better defensively than Geben.

I'm just amazed with Butkevicius. Dude is working. We can throw him on best best SG-SF opponents scorers. He's the best defensive player we have.

Loved that Kuz showed he's the same kind of 2017. He can beast and he can be aggressive. Also Grigonis is probably out best player after JV, Sabonis, Kuz. The team is looking just as good as I expected thus far. Adomaitis should mind Kalnietis' minutes, he looked out of breath in some moments already, to allow Lekavicius to get in complete shape as obviously we will need his contribution. Todau p'n'r defence worked pretty well and other than overkeeping Kalnietis in the second quarter the rotation was good also. I believe this year our coaching staff will be much more ready.

Come on, Adomaitis, 25min for current Kalnietis in exhibition game is too much. We will have dead horse in WC if this will continue.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 08-10-2019 at 09:54 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If we are being honest with ourselves here, both Geben and Butkevicius deserve a place in the final 12 over Jankunas...all the experience in the world can't change the fact that the body can't do what the mind tells you anymore - a guy is done physically unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    this is 12th summer representing men NT (not counting junior Nt). From 2001-2019 Jonas Maciulis had 2 free summers 2006 (was too old for youth team,not good enough for men team and 2011 (injury). I believe he played most games with ltu jersey combined all tournaments than anyone else in this milenium and still open to play in 2020. Two decades of loyal services ,with not a single time saying "no".
    2001-2017 (final tournaments)
    Javtokas 81 gm, Maciulis 75, Ksistof 72, Kalnietis 70, Jasaitis 68
    Kalnietis 717 pt, Kleiza 707, Valanciunas 573, Saras 565, Maciulis 558

Now I believe the games against Serbia might do a bad favour for us and might cost Butkevicius a spot. But hopefully JV and Domas (and even Jankunas) will get the shit together and will show it's not an issue at all. Serbia has so many lumberjacks that it's not even funny and it's far from status quo of WC teams.

Let's see what we'll have as opponents. Canada is without lumberjacks, small ball all the way. Senegal without their best bigs. Australia has 2 lumberjacks in Baynes and old Bogut, but that's it. Landale is a mobile big who loves to stretch the floor and too mobile for Geben generally, Jankunas is a good fit on him and Domas perfect as well. So nothing even close to Serbia in the group stage.

Second phase we most likely face Germany which doesn't have any dominant bigs and France has only one huge and elite big in Gobert (we somehow we'll have to take down France which will be very tough).

Now QF we might face USA (if we finish second in the group). Few bigs in Turner and Lopez, but they won't throw 2 lumberjacks together no way. Or we might face Greece (or Turkey which doesn't have strong frontline) which will obviously play Giannis and Printezis at 4 and at 5 they have old Bourousis and so so Papagiannis. So no huge and great lumberjacks either.

To sum up, to have JV, Sabonis, Geben and Jankunas is not smart. We'll have our hands full with guards and SFs. Against Australia we'll need to stop Mills and Ingles in the first place and we might need to throw Butkevicius on either of them. In second phase we'll badly need to defeat France and they will have tall elite freakin' guards in Fournier (201cm), De Colo (198), Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot (198). If we get Greece it will be all about small ball as well. Serbia is irrelevant for us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    If we are being honest with ourselves here, both Geben and Butkevicius deserve a place in the final 12 over Jankunas...all the experience in the world can't change the fact that the body can't do what the mind tells you anymore - a guy is done physically unfortunately
    He's in only because he's Jankunas. I can understund if it's some Kalnietis or Maciulis who were great NT players for many years and you can/want to expect from them the same as you get used to it during all those years, but Jankunas wasn't any big NT player and now he's old and slow and suffered many health troubles and he's kinda a lock here. It's sad.

Regarding Jankunas he does deserve that credit. Let's not forget it's the beginning of the camp. Differently than Geben, Jankunas likely get better. Geben's problem is not rustiness, it's general lack of experience and class, he won't add that with trainings and exhibition games. Jankunas on other hand likely to get his shit together. Even JV now looks like a scrub at offensive end. If not, well too bad, but Jankunas deserves that credit. And most importantly, look against who will you use Geben. There's no opponents for us with overloaded lumberjacks. Differently than Domas and Jankunas, Geben can't guard anyone else in the planet other than lumberjack. Not to mention that even against lumberjacks he extremely shaky option, extremely. We really playing cards with this Geben option. If we take him, we don't know what we're getting. If we not take him, we don't know what we're losing if any, but we surely know what we're getting (in Butkevicius).
    Last edited by Straight forward; 08-10-2019 at 11:47 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Regarding Jankunas he does deserve that credit. Let's not forget it's the beginning of the camp. Differently than Geben, Jankunas likely get better. Geben's problem is not rustiness, it's general lack of experience and class, he won't add that with trainings and exhibition games. Jankunas on other hand likely to get his shit together. Even JV now looks like a scrub at offensive end. If not, well too bad, but Jankunas deserves that credit. And most importantly, look against who will you use Geben. There's no opponents for us with overloaded lumberjacks. Differently than Domas and Jankunas, Geben can't guard anyone else in the planet other than lumberjack. Not to mention that even against lumberjacks he extremely shaky option, extremely. We really playing cards with this Geben option. If we take him, we don't know what we're getting. If we not take him, we don't know what we're losing if any, but we surely know what we're getting (in Butkevicius).
    you just love to make up excuses for your favorite players and hate on the ones you don't like, do you?

Current Jankunas is even worse than your so called "lumberjacks", since he can't defend anyone and he can't score either. He is done as a reliable player for many years now and that is obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes who can see an unbiased picture in front of them. A guy can't play at this level anymore, that much is obvious. And the only reason he is not gonna be cut is because, well, of "reasons"...

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    you just love to make up excuses for your favorite players and hate on the ones you don't like, do you?

Current Jankunas is even worse than your so called "lumberjacks", since he can't defend anyone and he can't score either. He is done as a reliable player for many years now and that is obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes who can see an unbiased picture in front of them. A guy can't play at this level anymore, that much is obvious. And the only reason he is not gonna be cut is because, well, of "reasons"...
    Man, fellow Max, you making such silly comments that I feel like I'm writing to younger brother or something. You already bashed Kalnietis today which was extremely low, you think refs were the main reason why our bigs struggled which was very stupid, and now I have to explain what lumberjack means, just as with word "ripped" previously. Ok, lumberjack is not very common usage so I give this.

"Lumberjack" is not negative connotation. It simply means huge dudes which plays as traditional centers, as JV, Baynes, ect. When I use it, it's not bashing, it's just a comfortable and spot on word to describe a certain player. Shaq was a lumberjack (at least mid at late career), so he was one of the best players ever to play the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Man, fellow Max, you making such silly comments that I feel like I'm writing to younger brother or something. You already bashed Kalnietis today which was extremely low, you think refs were the main reason why our bigs struggled which was very stupid, and now I have to explain what lumberjack means, just as with word "ripped" previously. Ok, lumberjack is not very common usage so I give this.

"Lumberjack" is not negative connotation. It simply means huge dudes which plays as traditional centers, as JV, Baynes, ect. When I use it, it's not bashing, it's just a comfortable and spot on word to describe a certain player. Shaq was a lumberjack (at least mid at late career), so he was one of the best players ever to play the game.
    your basketball knowledge is obviously very limited if you label every single traditional center as "lumberjack" - that just shows how close minded you are and how little you know about the game really. Shaq was extremely nimble and fast center for his enormous size, a freak of the nature really, not a lumberjack at all. JV is not a lumberjack either - he has a very soft shooting touch and nice array of post moves to rely on. There's no need to denigrate a player if you don't like his game, that's just childish mate - putting down one player in order to prop another is a defintion of immature behaviour

Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast