Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758
Results 1,141 to 1,146 of 1146

Thread: 2019 World Cup Qualifying Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    That's right. Use all your guns, show your true nature
    it's like The Trial by Kafka except Hero (that's me) is presented with accusation but in incomprehensible language

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by zalias View Post
    i dont think that the amount of hate adomaitis got in only 2years will help to find another coach tbh
    Truth!

Consider. From what I've read on just Interbasket alone, Dainius Adomaitis began drawing scorn and ridicule from his very first day on the job as Lithuania's head coach. Žalgiris fans were perhaps disappointed that Šarūnas Jasikevičius didn't have the job and were somehow thinking that Jasikevičius would end up as the coach if Adomaitis quit the position. Meanwhile many Rytas supporters probably thought that Rimas Kurtinaitis should and would be the coach in Adomaitis' place if he left. Whatever the reason, Adomaitis was taking flack here right from the start.

And admittedly the 2017 Eurobasket campaign was a flop. The team had too many nearly one-dimensional shooters who weren't particularly quick or good on defence.

But then during the World Cup qualifiers from 2017-19 no European coach did a better job of building cohesive teams from whichever young fellows were tossing the ball around at the local playground in less than a week. Lithuania posted a strong 11-1 record while some basketball powerhouse countries barely scraped through and others couldn't get the job done at all.

And then during the World Cup the team that Coach Adomaitis had assembled and prepared took two teams loaded with far more individual talent down to the final few seconds before going down at the end (and with a bad non-call contributing to the second loss). And with respect to individual talent let's compare the rosters of a select few of the European and other teams on the basis of the strength of the respective leagues from which the players were drawn:

LITHUANIA

NBA - 2
    Euroleague - 5
    Other - 5

CANADA

NBA - 2
    Euroleague - 1
    Other - 9

AUSTRALIA

NBA - 4
    Euroleague - 1
    Other - 7

FRANCE

NBA - 5
    Euroleague - 3
    Other - 4

SPAIN

NBA - 3
    Euroleague - 6
    Other - 3

SERBIA

NBA - 4
    Euroleague - 5
    Other - 3-

GREECE

NBA - 2
    Euroleague - 6
    Other - 4

What enabled the Lithuanian team to compete with the more star studded teams is that it was truly a team, and Coach Adomaitis had to have a key hand in building such.

But Adomaitis was hardly alone in taking flack and abuse from Lithuanian basketball fans. Antanas Sireika, Ramūnas Butautas, Kęstutis Kemzūra, Jonas Kazlauskas, I remember them all drawing more than their share of scorn from fans unhappy that their favourite players hadn't been selected for the team or weren't getting enough court time. I guess it comes with the job.

So Kazys Maksvytis would have to have rocks in his head to accept the job. I think the best Basketball Lithuania will lure to the job at this point is a fellow with nothing to lose, someone like Donaldas Kairys or Tomas Pačėsas.

Last edited by Hepcat; 09-20-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Hepcat, any lith coach will be better than that swearing emotional mess Adomaitis - I still don't know why you refuse to admit all of his coching blunders in pivotal games during this tournament especially. And I've already said that we were not as talented as french or aussies obviously, but we still could have won one of those two games only IF a smart coach was steering our ship during crucial moments...(btw, I could bet all of my life savings on Kazlauskas winning at least one of those two games)

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Hepcat, any lith coach will be better than that swearing emotional mess Adomaitis - I still don't know why you refuse to admit all of his coching blunders in pivotal games during this tournament especially. And I've already said that we were not as talented as french or aussies obviously, but we still could have won one of those two games only IF a smart coach was steering our ship during crucial moments...(btw, I could bet all of my life savings on Kazlauskas winning at least one of those two games)
    He lost both of these games by suggesting Adomaitis as head coach

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I still don't know why you refuse to admit all of his coaching blunders in pivotal games during this tournament especially.
    Because like most people I can only guess at coaching "blunders" after the fact. All I know for sure is say that the team was outscored in the last two minutes of a game. All I can conclude then is that whoever the coach had on the floor didn't get the job done. And that maybe, maybe, a different mix of players might have done the job.

But you see I'm willing to admit that I don't really know anything other than the fact that the team lost. I'm not so bold as to say it was due to "coaching blunders", unless of course the very definition of a coaching blunder is a loss at the end of the day.

Some of you fellows though have much stronger opinions. I keep wondering though whether these opinions have more basis than my own "Geeee, I'm not sure. They just didn't make those last couple of shots and they lost."

There's another major problem with your position, Max. There are quite a few other posters in this thread who agree with your position that Adomaitis' coaching decisions were a key factor in Lithuania's losses. But!!! These other posters also hold the opinion that Adomaitis' mistake was in leaving Jonas Valančiūnas on the court at the end of the game because of his defensive deficiencies. I understand that you would have strongly disagreed on this point.

But since there is no agreement on how and where Adomaitis blundered, I'm left wondering whether he blundered at all. Granted though Lithuania ended up on the short end of the score in both those games. But this is still the same coach who did a splendid job with whichever players he could gather up from the local playground in the Qualifiers while other European coaches struggled.

So at the end of the day I'm willing to admit that I just don't know.

Last edited by Hepcat; 09-20-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758