Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBL (Baltic Basketball League) Official Thread 2007/2008

Quote Originally Posted by Demarr
    I'd go for Paulius Jankunas. 1) His shooting been almost perfect (2pts - 77.3%; 3pts - 80%; FT - 100&). 2) His team been very successful (3 wins out of 3 games). 3) His other stats are very good aswell.
    Stimac been playing very well too, but I believe it is easier to score for Valmiera than Zalgiris. So again, I'd pick Jankunas.
    Yeah, probably he would be the one who has deserved it. Last Valmiera game against Rock where they stopped him pretty good for me is a good argument not to give this title to Stimac (because it was an important game for Valmiera if they think about victories).

Btw, there is one Russian training with BK Ventspils at the moment and Valmiera is trying out Curtis Nash from France- ProB League.

This weekend two important games for 2 best Lithuanian and two best (at the moment, at least) Latvian clubs. ASK Riga will go for a victory, even despite these terrible problems with injuries and Millage being injured and even despite Butautas anger to whoever made BBL calendar as bad for ASK. He is so angry because tomorrow is the game against Zalgiris and monday in Riga is the big ULEB Cup opening match where all the ULEB officials will be present (it's some kind of replay of ASK- Akademik finals of European cup in the beginning of sixties) so for the city of Riga this is very important and Butautas is mad because now he need to play with full force with Zalgiris and then there's not much time to prepare for this ULEB ''show''. Anyway, ASK Riga ambitions this year are high, they still lack the budget numbers of Zalgiris and LR but now they are clearly in the 3rd place in BBL and next year could equal the numbers of big Lithuanian clubs (They said they could do it already this year but wanted to go step by step). So giving the fact that no Latvian club since the independence hasn't won Zalgiris this gives the additional expectations for fans and Butautas can't allow himself to play with teenagers in Kaunas.

The other match Barons- LR on Sunday. Well, this one Rytas should win but i'd like to see one good game from Gustas at last and from Alexander to play the full game, not only when Muiznieks says ''you lazy ass, start to pl-ay!'' I would like to see good performance from Barons throughout the game, not only in one half or quarter of the game (or no game at all, like run 'n gun in Klaipeda).

Well i'm looking forward to Reed vs Stimac, should be a good fight. Kalev should win this game but you never know with Estonian clubs, they can go ice cold for 6+min... like Rock did today against Ventspils.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll
    Well i'm looking forward to Reed vs Stimac, should be a good fight. Kalev should win this game but you never know with Estonian clubs, they can go ice cold for 6+min... like Rock did today against Ventspils.
    The problem with Estonian clubs I think is that they have good starting 5 but others simply can't hold the level. And when they start to play then teams who have more equal players, start to dominate the game. The same is with Valmiera, only they have even less good scorers.

Kalev's weak spot is rebounding, so we are looking to add one more big man, substitution for Reed. Season is long and even Reed will need to rest. Mateo Kedžo looks very useful and friendly, fans already like him. He is good in both, defense and offense. Kalev still need to improve team offense and defense. Kalev's biggest problem in my opinion is Marlon Parmer. He is ment to play pointguard position, but he just dribbles behind the arc and then makes some illogical move. In game vs Ventspils he scored 28 points, but spectators whistled. In game vs Neptunas, he made some really dumb decisions and coach Veselin Matic called him on bench. Kalev managed to win second half 53-30 with Marlon Parmer on bench. Teamwork is better when Marlon Parmer is on bench. Also, Parmer can't play defense. Kalev needs to beat Valmiera today.
    Last edited by Demarr; 11-03-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Kalev beat Valmiera 85-77. Like usually we couldn't get it going and lost first quarter 13:26.

Valmiera's 3pts percentage was 56.5% (13/23), Kalev's was 50% (7/14). Kalev made only 6 turnovers.
    Travis Reed poured 21 points, Marlon Parmer 15 and Kristjan Kangur 12 points. Kangur also added 7 rebounds.
    Ingus Bankevics had 19 points for Valmiera. Big and furious center Vladimir Stimac dominated the boards and got 19 rebounds. He also poured 15 points.
    Last edited by Demarr; 11-19-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Bit offtopic but can any Latvian help me

What is this hall called? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEwcNpywmSo
    And this hall too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSreO...ature=related?

Would be very grateful to person who would end my agony by answering this question.

Just few minutes ago a match between Žalgiris and Kalev/Cramo finished and a team from Kaunas managed to loose to estonians at home 91-92. Popovič has missed a free throw that could bring the game to the overtime. Congrads to estonian fans.

Quote Originally Posted by sashikas
    Just few minutes ago a match between Žalgiris and Kalev/Cramo finished and a team from Kaunas managed to loose to estonians at home 91-92. Popovič has missed a free throw that could bring the game to the overtime. Congrads to estonian fans.
    Actually, some sources say that BBL Online was wrong and Kalev lost by 1 point - 91-90.

Most dissapointing thing is that BBL Online is even more pointless than Euroleague online. What's the point of ''online broadcast'' if it doesn't let you observe first half and from the second half it shows you the wrong score.

Congratulations to Zalgiris and it's fans.
    Last edited by Demarr; 11-18-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Zalgiris won 91-90.The score was 90-90 with 2 seconds left,then Reed(?) fouled Popovic who stepped to the line.He made the 1st one and missed 2nd one on purpose.Popo made 6/10 three pointer.Michael Bradley was very good again with 11 points 9 rebounds but got injured in the last quarter,and it seems that its pretty serious.He was helped off the field by his teammates.
    I hope this injury is not too serious,we really,really need him now with Eurelijus out and no T.
    ZALIAI BALTAS

good game
    Kalev has rely started playing good lately, i think they should have taken it easy today with Zalgiris and save energy for tuesday vs G.Canaria but hopefully they can handle it. I wonder whay Arbet didnt play... hopefully hes not injured, cause we need him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo
    Zalgiris won 91-90.The score was 90-90 with 2 seconds left,then Reed(?) fouled Popovic who stepped to the line.He made the 1st one and missed 2nd one on purpose.Popo made 6/10 three pointer.Michael Bradley was very good again with 11 points 9 rebounds but got injured in the last quarter,and it seems that its pretty serious.He was helped off the field by his teammates.
    I hope this injury is not too serious,we really,really need him now with Eurelijus out and no T.

At the end, Popovic was surrounded by Kangur and Reed and refrees saw foul there. Anyway it was really good game and Kalev started playing very good lately (wins over ASVEL and Panionios, close loss to Zalgiris).

Kalev lost to Barons 87-88... not going to say anything about the referees as every knows in BBL home team, home referees and more times than not in a close game they do everything to help the home team win, only time it goes differently is with a lucky last sec shot.

http://etvsport.ee/index.php?0&popup=video&id=5051 - everyone can decide, whether there was a foul or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll
    Kalev lost to Barons 87-88... not going to say anything about the referees as every knows in BBL home team, home referees and more times than not in a close game they do everything to help the home team win, only time it goes differently is with a lucky last sec shot.
    Oh shit don't tell me
    If there is a game in Estonia or in Lithuania against Siauliai for Latvian teams and we lose it by a small margin everyone here says that home referees are guilty. Ok, maybe and just maybe It's truth in this case too as in others and I agree something should be done about it, anyway Barons as always got themselves into deep shit, they were playing good until some last minutes and then... OK

Bit offtopic but can any Latvian help me

What is this hall called? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEwcNpywmSo
    And this hall too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSreO...ature=related?

Would be very grateful to person who would end my agony by answering this question.
    It's the same old Daugavas sporta nams, ASK play there when they can't play in Arena Riga. Before Olympic center Riga (Barons play there when they can't play in Arena, also VEF Riga) and Arena Riga was built, many games of Latvian basketball in Riga were played there.

Default corrupt referees

The problem in BBL for Estonian teams, is that while Estonian referees try to whistle honestly (although sometimes their level is not that good) than Latvian and Lithuanian referees are way more likely to whistle the way their own countrymen want.
    Last year Estonian referee whistled a very questionable foul against best Estonian player Martin Muursepp in last seconds Rock-Panevezhys game, when Rock was leading by one in the most critical game of the season. Because of this honest whistling Rock was out of the playoffs. Never seen or heard such thing happened in Latvia/Lithuania with their referees.

It's the same with police. Several foreigners have told me, that they've had no problem bribing Latvian and Lithuanian police for 10-20 euros, but Estonian police is tough like Germany's and some got into big trouble because of bribery. and it was big surprise, cause they thought, coming from south, that all Baltic countries are similar. Well they're not.

worldaudit.org shows, while Estonia is quite not corruptionfree yet, it's way ahead of southern neighbours.

http://www.worldaudit.org/corruption.htm
    Last edited by Richey666; 11-28-2007 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richey666
    The problem in BBL for Estonian teams, is that while Estonian referees try to whistle honestly (although sometimes their level is not that good) than Latvian and Lithuanian referees are way more likely to whistle the way their own countrymen want.
    Last year Estonian referee whistled a very questionable foul against best Estonian player Martin Muursepp in last seconds Rock-Panevezhys game, when Rock was leading by one in the most critical game of the season. Because of this honest whistling Rock was out of the playoffs. Never seen or heard such thing happened in Latvia/Lithuania with their referees.

It's the same with police. Several foreigners have told me, that they've had no problem bribing Latvian and Lithuanian police for 10-20 euros, but Estonian police is tough like Germany's and some got into big trouble because of bribery. and it was big surprise, cause they thought, coming from south, that all Baltic countries are similar. Well they're not.

worldaudit.org shows, while Estonia is quite not corruptionfree yet, it's way ahead of southern neighbours.

http://www.worldaudit.org/corruption.htm
    In my opinion, the police was wrong example. It got nothing to do with the basketball, or does it?

Estonian sport channel ''Kalev Sport'' will show live Rock - Rytas game on saturday.

Estonian sport channel ''Kalev Sport'' will show live Rock - Rytas game on saturday.
    not live, recorded i am afraid. game starts 4pm, says BBL.net , Kalev Sport shows it 7 pm.

Say it to Barons and Ventspils fans after their games against Siauliai at home when both teams had to win the games comfortably and were leading by +7 to +10 but lost in the last seconds with -1. Some said after that game that Latvian referees help everybody except Latvian clubs. Of course, Estonians have the right to say otherwise after such a game like Barons- Kalev.

I can't say bad things about Estonian referees, the worst ones are in Lithuania as Latvians think (not about the professionalism of them but somehow playing in Klaipeda or Siauliai you get either unexplainable offensive fouls (this year Siaulia at home vs Valmiera) or you shoot 15 free throws when your opposition sth like 40 (some years ago important overtime game in Klaipeda vs Valmiera when at the end Valmiera won it and Vairogs scored I think little over 40 or sth in the process) .

Barons, Ventspils last home games vs Siauliai as I said.

Well, you have very honest and corruption free blood brothers and neighbors like Finland as an example to keep on the right track

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast