Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slovenia Redeem team upset biggest in bball history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slovenia Redeem team upset biggest in bball history?

Is this win of Slovenia the biggest upset in basketball history?

In all fairness, no sane person would have placed Slovenia in the top 6 at the start of the tournament, some brave souls would have given us the top 8, but that is it.

A team consisting of Cancar, Prepelic, Muric, Vidmar, Dimec and Nikolic as key players just took the gold.

The only similar underdog to win a major competition that comes to mind is the 2004 Pistons.

Other than that, no team even comes close, and to do it so convincingly and without a lose, destroying Spain, France and Greece in its path is simply astounding.

The sweetest ting is we got revenge for all those painful loses of the past. We destroyed Greece for the lose in 2007 1/4, we destroyed Spain for the 2011 1/4, we destroyed France for the 2013 1/4 final, we destroyed Latvia for the 2015 1/8 final, and last but by no means least we defeated Serbia in a close games, and payed them back for the 2009 1/2 final.

Can a road to gold get any sweeter?

I think now, we can lay to rest the stigma of Slovenia chocking from years past, simply because this team over-performed so much.

This team was and should for ever go down as the greatest team of Eurobasket history, simply because on name alone Serbia, Spain, Russia, Croatia, Italy, France, Lithuania, Latvia and Greece were all better then us. Yet we demolished all of them.

This team really is and was Slovenia's redemption team.

What a magical competition this was. Whole of Slovenia is walking on cloud 9, and it is so much sweeter, after all those bitter losses from the past.

As for Serbia, I have little doubt, that they are the Spain of the next decade. No need to shed a tear for them IMO.
    My homage to The heroes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFlzU14Ivs

Yeah, whole team Slovenia definitively had Moon in the 8th house of Aquarius during this eurobasket, but I don't think Serbia will be "the Spain of next dacade" as you said.

Comment

Originally posted by Alyosha12 View Post

In all fairness, no sane person would have placed Slovenia in the top 6 at the start of the tournament, some brave souls would have given us the top 8, but that is it.
      I was thinking the same as the final game was coming to an end. I am happy for Slovenians, I can relate because I was a young boy at 1987, when Greece got the gold. The games were played in Greece so Slovenia's feet seems an even greater one, but then again, even though this is your first medal as well, Slovenia was a respected basketball power before the tournament, Greece were a true nobody.

Congrats anyway, is was a excellent story, I really enjoyed SLO's journey.

Comment

Serbia isnt the spain of the next decade because their the serbia of the next decade i see a world cup gold for them or an olympic gold
        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Honestly, I see all this as an effort of Djordjevic and couple of enthusiasts from Serbian basketball association. There was no real plan going on at a national level. I don't think Serbia's gonna win some competition soon when he's gone. I doubt Serbia will even be competitive in the years to come if he resigns from the position.

Comment

Originally posted by Alyosha12 View Post
            first of all, I totally understand you walking on the clouds. Fully deserved, congratulations.

but as for the question, biggest upset bball history? no, it cannot be. 1) Slovenia was not that much of an underdog, and 2) the competition was the weakest that we can remember.
            5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

germany in 1993. is the biggest upset

Comment

Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
                first of all, I totally understand you walking on the clouds. Fully deserved, congratulations.

but as for the question, biggest upset bball history? no, it cannot be. 1) Slovenia was not that much of an underdog, and 2) the competition was the weakest that we can remember.
                At the start of the tournament? No fucking way. Anyone predicting that Slovenia would win it all would be laughed at. Except for Dragic and to some degree Randolph, nobody could have predicted Doncic will perform the way he did (he's 18, he could have crumbled under the pressure), Vidmar playing the best basketball of his whole carrer, Prepelic becoming a sharpshooter, not to mention the other role players who were amazing.

Even here, people predicted Latvia to win, then they said EZ win for Spain... so yeah, i think it is one of the biggest upsets ever, comparable to something like Germany winning in 93'

Comment

Originally posted by miloje View Post
                  germany in 1993. is the biggest upset
                  Hopefully 2017 EC will have stronger impact on Slovenia than 1993 EC on Germany.
                  You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Comment

All good but Imo 6 and 8 point losses are not exactly demolitions as you say.
                    1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by R1ou View Post
                      All good but Imo 6 and 8 point losses are not exactly demolitions as you say.
                      hahaha he is excited and he should be! what he meant probably was that they were clear and deserved winners, no matter the score difference,which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by xxax View Post
                        At the start of the tournament? No fucking way. Anyone predicting that Slovenia would win it all would be laughed at. Except for Dragic and to some degree Randolph, nobody could have predicted Doncic will perform the way he did (he's 18, he could have crumbled under the pressure), Vidmar playing the best basketball of his whole carrer, Prepelic becoming a sharpshooter, not to mention the other role players who were amazing.

Even here, people predicted Latvia to win, then they said EZ win for Spain... so yeah, i think it is one of the biggest upsets ever, comparable to something like Germany winning in 93'
                        3-4 months before the tournament, yes, you'd be accused of being crazy if you predicted Slovenia's gold.
                        at the start of the tournament, however, when it became obvious that most contenders were crippled, I disagree it would have been outrageous to rank Slovenia within top6 or even as medal contender.

it's a major upset. but saying this is "the biggest upset in the history of bball" is an overstatement imho when know it's not the case even in Europe.

anyway, congratulations again. if my team would win it, I'd probably claim the universe.
                        5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

I know a guy who put 100 EUR on Slovenia before tournament...made 31x his money back, 3100.

Comment

Originally posted by Richey666 View Post
                            I know a guy who put 100 EUR on Slovenia before tournament...made 31x his money back, 3100.
                            if he was to bet 100 € on every slovenian game on slovenia to win he would have won only 846 €
                            vs Poland @ 1,39
                            vs Finland @ 1,43
                            vs Greece @2,27
                            vs Iceland @1,01
                            vs France @2,60
                            vs Ukraine @1,05
                            vs Latvia @2,03
                            vs Spain @3,84
                            vs Serbia @1,84
                            "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

One of the biggest surprises in EB history for sure. The biggest I can remember. 2007EB when Russia grabbed the gold could be close as they stunned extremely stacked Lithuania in semis and red hot Spain playing at home in the final.
                              LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                              Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                              Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information