Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slovenia Redeem team upset biggest in bball history?

Default Slovenia Redeem team upset biggest in bball history?

Is this win of Slovenia the biggest upset in basketball history?

In all fairness, no sane person would have placed Slovenia in the top 6 at the start of the tournament, some brave souls would have given us the top 8, but that is it.

A team consisting of Cancar, Prepelic, Muric, Vidmar, Dimec and Nikolic as key players just took the gold.

The only similar underdog to win a major competition that comes to mind is the 2004 Pistons.

Other than that, no team even comes close, and to do it so convincingly and without a lose, destroying Spain, France and Greece in its path is simply astounding.

The sweetest ting is we got revenge for all those painful loses of the past. We destroyed Greece for the lose in 2007 1/4, we destroyed Spain for the 2011 1/4, we destroyed France for the 2013 1/4 final, we destroyed Latvia for the 2015 1/8 final, and last but by no means least we defeated Serbia in a close games, and payed them back for the 2009 1/2 final.

Can a road to gold get any sweeter?

I think now, we can lay to rest the stigma of Slovenia chocking from years past, simply because this team over-performed so much.

This team was and should for ever go down as the greatest team of Eurobasket history, simply because on name alone Serbia, Spain, Russia, Croatia, Italy, France, Lithuania, Latvia and Greece were all better then us. Yet we demolished all of them.

This team really is and was Slovenia's redemption team.

What a magical competition this was. Whole of Slovenia is walking on cloud 9, and it is so much sweeter, after all those bitter losses from the past.

As for Serbia, I have little doubt, that they are the Spain of the next decade. No need to shed a tear for them IMO.

Yeah, whole team Slovenia definitively had Moon in the 8th house of Aquarius during this eurobasket, but I don't think Serbia will be "the Spain of next dacade" as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha12 View Post

In all fairness, no sane person would have placed Slovenia in the top 6 at the start of the tournament, some brave souls would have given us the top 8, but that is it.
    I was thinking the same as the final game was coming to an end. I am happy for Slovenians, I can relate because I was a young boy at 1987, when Greece got the gold. The games were played in Greece so Slovenia's feet seems an even greater one, but then again, even though this is your first medal as well, Slovenia was a respected basketball power before the tournament, Greece were a true nobody.

Congrats anyway, is was a excellent story, I really enjoyed SLO's journey.

Serbia isnt the spain of the next decade because their the serbia of the next decade i see a world cup gold for them or an olympic gold
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Honestly, I see all this as an effort of Djordjevic and couple of enthusiasts from Serbian basketball association. There was no real plan going on at a national level. I don't think Serbia's gonna win some competition soon when he's gone. I doubt Serbia will even be competitive in the years to come if he resigns from the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha12 View Post
    first of all, I totally understand you walking on the clouds. Fully deserved, congratulations.

but as for the question, biggest upset bball history? no, it cannot be. 1) Slovenia was not that much of an underdog, and 2) the competition was the weakest that we can remember.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

germany in 1993. is the biggest upset

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    first of all, I totally understand you walking on the clouds. Fully deserved, congratulations.

but as for the question, biggest upset bball history? no, it cannot be. 1) Slovenia was not that much of an underdog, and 2) the competition was the weakest that we can remember.
    At the start of the tournament? No fucking way. Anyone predicting that Slovenia would win it all would be laughed at. Except for Dragic and to some degree Randolph, nobody could have predicted Doncic will perform the way he did (he's 18, he could have crumbled under the pressure), Vidmar playing the best basketball of his whole carrer, Prepelic becoming a sharpshooter, not to mention the other role players who were amazing.

Even here, people predicted Latvia to win, then they said EZ win for Spain... so yeah, i think it is one of the biggest upsets ever, comparable to something like Germany winning in 93'

Quote Originally Posted by miloje View Post
    germany in 1993. is the biggest upset
    Hopefully 2017 EC will have stronger impact on Slovenia than 1993 EC on Germany.

All good but Imo 6 and 8 point losses are not exactly demolitions as you say.
    1997 - 2012 - 2013

Quote Originally Posted by R1ou View Post
    All good but Imo 6 and 8 point losses are not exactly demolitions as you say.
    hahaha he is excited and he should be! what he meant probably was that they were clear and deserved winners, no matter the score difference,which is true.

Quote Originally Posted by xxax View Post
    At the start of the tournament? No fucking way. Anyone predicting that Slovenia would win it all would be laughed at. Except for Dragic and to some degree Randolph, nobody could have predicted Doncic will perform the way he did (he's 18, he could have crumbled under the pressure), Vidmar playing the best basketball of his whole carrer, Prepelic becoming a sharpshooter, not to mention the other role players who were amazing.

Even here, people predicted Latvia to win, then they said EZ win for Spain... so yeah, i think it is one of the biggest upsets ever, comparable to something like Germany winning in 93'
    3-4 months before the tournament, yes, you'd be accused of being crazy if you predicted Slovenia's gold.
    at the start of the tournament, however, when it became obvious that most contenders were crippled, I disagree it would have been outrageous to rank Slovenia within top6 or even as medal contender.

it's a major upset. but saying this is "the biggest upset in the history of bball" is an overstatement imho when know it's not the case even in Europe.

anyway, congratulations again. if my team would win it, I'd probably claim the universe.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

I know a guy who put 100 EUR on Slovenia before tournament...made 31x his money back, 3100.

Quote Originally Posted by Richey666 View Post
    I know a guy who put 100 EUR on Slovenia before tournament...made 31x his money back, 3100.
    if he was to bet 100 € on every slovenian game on slovenia to win he would have won only 846 €
    vs Poland @ 1,39
    vs Finland @ 1,43
    vs Greece @2,27
    vs Iceland @1,01
    vs France @2,60
    vs Ukraine @1,05
    vs Latvia @2,03
    vs Spain @3,84
    vs Serbia @1,84
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

One of the biggest surprises in EB history for sure. The biggest I can remember. 2007EB when Russia grabbed the gold could be close as they stunned extremely stacked Lithuania in semis and red hot Spain playing at home in the final.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

I mean..No.Germany in 1993 was by far the biggest upset.We're talking about a team that lost 3 times in that same tournament.

I don know how big surprise Slovenia was, but I know that in this forum popular vote put Slovenia in 3rd place in the group. and we won all 5 games, destroying France in the most important match, but was still underdog against Latvia and big underdog against Spain, who was consequently demolished in semis. Slovenian going 9:0 was imho very big surprise.
    previously known as Beno

Default Amazing, yes, not a surprise

Alyosha,

well, we all agree, what a tournament.. now, as one tends to claim himself sane, I will do so for myself, I actually did believe that Slovenia stood a chance for going all the way ahead of the tournament and put some money on it winning it all, with a pretty good return of 30X... now, in all fairness was I 100% certain that we could win, no - but I thought that Slovenia def was a top 4 team with a chance of going all the way. I thought that both betting agencies, and to a lesser extend this forum underestimated it... Now, we all know that there were some good reasons for it to people believe this way, but here are few reasons why I thought Slovenia could make it this time around...

1. While this was far from Slovenia's best squad ever, the team had a clear leader in Dragic, two top European players in Randolph and Doncic. While it lacked the stars of the past, it had another 6 solid European level players that were young and eager and knew how to play and fight. In the past we had better squads, but with noone who would be as good as Dragic and standing out as much - therefore the leader
    2. the luck has to turn around sometime.. Slovenian national team was due in for the first medal in 2005, when it lost due to poor coaching and underestimation against Germany in quarterfinals, it was due for the medal in 2007 when it dropped in last minute and a half against Greece in quarterfinals, it was due to play the final in 2009 (and actually stood chance against Spain) when Teodosic hit the three for the OT, it was due for the medal in 2013 home Eurobasket, when it lost to later champions, it was due for the medal in 2014 WC, when Australian team speculated and we lost to Lithuania in a tied game and ended up facing States in quarters... I watched some of these games live on the stadiums and was immensely frustrated, believe me
    3. winning mentality - while Slovenia in the past faced collapses in the last minutes of the already won games, it grew confidence in the past years. I think this has been helped by the successes of other sports, namely handball and volleyball that won medals and put off the pressure from the basketball team. I also knew that if they managed to win in quarters (what other team had a ratio of 1/7 before this tournament?!), they will be coming in as the underdog and surprise, when they werent really. Winning mentality and confidence and makes all the difference.
    4. great coaching - while I still believe that Jure Zdovc is a great coach, we cant say that for some of the others we had in the past that were not up to the level of the players at the time.. Kokoskov has proven to be amazing
    5. older spanish team, absences from French, Serbian as well as Greek teams.

Now all the hard times are forgotten and I still cant quite believe it, well done to the team.
    I also want to congratulate to Serbians who were very close and Spaniards and Russians, as well as Latvians, who I think could be in the finals had they been in the other draw.

As goes for the complaints about absences, our best generation that could but never played together: Nesterovic, Milic, Lakovic, Nachbar, Udrih, Vujacic, Dragic, Lorbek, Smodis, Gorenc, Dragic, Tusek, Becirovic, Brezec, etc.... well, it happens - so we need to face it. And based on what we have seen, one team one dream mentality with solid players can take you all the way.

Is it amazing? Yes! Was it unimaginable? NO. As long as I have been watching, the biggest upsets for title would def be Germany 1993 as some of you pointed out and then I would say Germany coming 2nd in 2005 as well...

The Eurobasket is a tournament which takes a few weeks. It is less about talent and more about chemistry. There have been plenty of teams which overachieved due to good chemistry. Think of the FYR of Macedonia who made the semi finals a few years back. Other teams like Lithuania have had some good chemistry for several tournaments and were also able to reach finals. Slovenia went a step further because of some of aforementioned reasons. This squad had some good leaders and lesser expectations, which resulted to less pressure. This allowed them to build up good chemistry game by game. Take into account that a powerhouse like Spain is losing ground due to age, and that teams like Serbia, France, Greece had key absences (imagine Slovenia without Dragic) and there you have it.

This is good, we are all happy for Slovenia. But that said, Slovenia is a traditional basketball nation. Can't say it's the biggest upset. Think of Greece 1987 or Germany 1993. Neither were true basketball nations at that point.

That said, I think that the new FIBA qualification model will allow elite teams to build good chemistry during the two year qualification phase. Even if there are some absentees. So teams which traditionally have good chemistry will suffer more in actual tournaments.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    The Eurobasket is a tournament which takes a few weeks. It is less about talent and more about chemistry. There have been plenty of teams which overachieved due to good chemistry. Think of the FYR of Macedonia who made the semi finals a few years back. Other teams like Lithuania have had some good chemistry for several tournaments and were also able to reach finals. Slovenia went a step further because of some of aforementioned reasons. This squad had some good leaders and lesser expectations, which resulted to less pressure. This allowed them to build up good chemistry game by game. Take into account that a powerhouse like Spain is losing ground due to age, and that teams like Serbia, France, Greece had key absences (imagine Slovenia without Dragic) and there you have it.

This is good, we are all happy for Slovenia. But that said, Slovenia is a traditional basketball nation. Can't say it's the biggest upset. Think of Greece 1987 or Germany 1993. Neither were true basketball nations at that point.

That said, I think that the new FIBA qualification model will allow elite teams to build good chemistry during the two year qualification phase. Even if there are some absentees. So teams which traditionally have good chemistry will suffer more in actual tournaments.
    The teams might build good chemistry during the 2 years qualification. But who will play in the end? All the best players are playing in Nba or Euroleague. It looks to me 1 team will qualify and the other will play. Not fair to guys who will qualify and for sure no new chemistry. I don't believe Greece will play in WC 2019 with Fiba champions league players and Bourousis.
    previously known as Beno

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast