Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the greatest European player ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Nick Galis is the best. In scoring issues NONE can compete with him, even Nowitzi or Petrovic.
    If you include a South American, Galis has lots of competition!!

Quote Originally Posted by mvblair
    If you include a South American, Galis has lots of competition!!
    Óscar Schmidt is no doubt the best scorer ever
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by dmt
    well? Galis? Bodiroga? Petrovic? Sabonis?

What about the best euro player right now?
    Dirk Nowitzki is the first European-born player to win the 2006-07 NBA MVP Award, was there any who came close enough ? I guess, he's the best european ballplayer ever for now... The NBA is the most competitive and the best professional basketball league in the world and no other. Award given to Nowitzki is proof enough.

Who is the greatest European player ever?

Chris Webber

Quote Originally Posted by dreamwalker
    Dirk Nowitzki is the first European-born player to win the 2006-07 NBA MVP Award, was there any who came close enough ? I guess, he's the best european ballplayer ever for now... The NBA is the most competitive and the best professional basketball league in the world and no other. Award given to Nowitzki is proof enough.
    that would be a US kind of thinking..
    but what about the european players before Dirk in NBA?
    they were the ones to change the NBA policy and they were the one who gave Dirk a chance.
    Sabonis, Petrovic, Divac, Schrempf, Kukoc etc.
    for me Dirk will never be the best european player ever..
    wanna know why?
    he never played an important role in Europe..
    most of other great european names who played in NBA first proved themselves in Europe by winning numerous titles..
    Kukoc for example won almost everything possible..and eventhough I don't like his personality for me he will always be a better player then Nowitzki and he still won't be the best european player ever..
    by playing and winning in Europe those players prove their possibility to adapt on different styles..
    Dirk never did that..
    and until he wins a ring he doesn't deserve to be called a best european player ever..
    hell he doesn't deserve to be called a best european player in 2006/2007 season for that matter..
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Quote Originally Posted by Picek
    that would be a US kind of thinking..
    but what about the european players before Dirk in NBA?
    they were the ones to change the NBA policy and they were the one who gave Dirk a chance.
    Sabonis, Petrovic, Divac, Schrempf, Kukoc etc.
    for me Dirk will never be the best european player ever..
    wanna know why?
    he never played an important role in Europe..
    most of other great european names who played in NBA first proved themselves in Europe by winning numerous titles..
    Kukoc for example won almost everything possible..and eventhough I don't like his personality for me he will always be a better player then Nowitzki and he still won't be the best european player ever..
    by playing and winning in Europe those players prove their possibility to adapt on different styles..
    Dirk never did that..
    and until he wins a ring he doesn't deserve to be called a best european player ever..
    hell he doesn't deserve to be called a best european player in 2006/2007 season for that matter..
    God damn it! Read my lips, Croat! SARUNAS MARCIULIONIS! and V. DIVAC was pioneers of NBA from Europe. Who was the ones who braked the walls of NBA? Sabonis, Schrempf...? Sobinis gone to NBA maybe in 1995 (unfortunately) and Schrempf (?), maybe, but he moved to US when he was child and as bball player he grew up in US. And i realy don't like the fact that Marciulionis is discount in European bball history, imho, he wasn't worse than Petrovic, maybe, even better. He was the most physically powerful guard even in NBA, i guess. And many times he was better that Sabas, but always was in the shadow of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward
    Who was the ones who braked the walls of NBA? Sabonis, Schrempf...?
    Gloushkov

ofcourse SARAS
    1st in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2018-2019
    2nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2016-2017
    2nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2015-2016
    1st in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2014-2015
    2nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2013-2014
    2nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2012-2013
    2nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2010-2011
    3nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2009-2010
    1st in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2008-2009
    2nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2007-2008

Dirk Nowitzki , of course, no comparison really.

I would say that Drazen Petrovic and Arvidas Sabonis are next.

God damn it! Read my lips, Croat! SARUNAS MARCIULIONIS! and V. DIVAC was pioneers of NBA from Europe.
    that's the reason why I wrote etc. 'cause I couldn't remember all of them..
    late Krešimir Čosić as one of best yugoslavian players ever could have left a huge mark in NBA but he chosed to come back to Europe instead..
    there are many examples, but the fact of the matter is that Dirk would have never had a chance to become MVP if it wasn't for the european players in 90's who were better players then Dirk is..
    but it was too soon for them to take that award..
    but at the end that reward doesn't mean anything...
    Parker's NBA final MVP is a reward that should be admired 'cause he won NBA ring and a personal award..
    Dirk won nothing..
    unfortunately for him they are not giving rewards for "best bricks when it matters" or rewards for "best freezes" etc.
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Quote Originally Posted by Picek
    Parker's NBA final MVP is a reward that should be admired 'cause he won NBA ring and a personal award..
    Dirk won nothing..
    unfortunately for him they are not giving rewards for "best bricks when it matters" or rewards for "best freezes" etc.
    Parker took all these awards in EC's

Arvydas Macijauskas

Quote Originally Posted by KokkinosVasilias
    Arvydas Macijauskas
    there is real possibility. He's only 27 and already has a nice achievements. If you would look to Saras and Siska you would see that those players made most of their biggest victories being over 27. Who knows maybe Macas will win everything 5 seasons in a row

there is real possibility. He's only 27 and already has a nice achievements. If you would look to Saras and Siska you would see that those players made most of their biggest victories being over 27. Who knows maybe Macas will win everything 5 seasons in a row
    Not to mention that all the fame he has earned and the achievementes he has made were up to the age of 25!

the last two years of his carrer not only he didnt make steps forward but he made leaps back!

so far he seems to has fully recover from his injury and to be in great shape

I've been wondering that question too 4 years.I'm between Petrovic and Sabonis.I haven't seen Petrovic play as much I've seen Sabas, but the fact that he succeeded in the NBA in an era when few europeans could even think of going there is a huge accomplishment, I would say bigger 2 Dirk's MVP last season.Sabonis on the other hand dominated Europe before going overseas rather old, at 31.Yet he did pretty well there considering his age and his injuries.I always admired Sabonis while I didn't like Drazen's perceived arrogance, therefore I would vote 4 Sabonis, although I consider them equal.

P.S.My personal favorite, whom I would list in the top 5, was always Toni Kukoc.I'd like 2 have seen him play live even once...
    Your time is up my time is now,
    you can't see me my time is now...

"Basketball is like the church. Many attend it, but few understand it"

If u smell what the G.L. is cookin'...

The Demon of Greek loby is here!

The best four Europeans of all time:

1) Dirk Nowitzki
    2) Drazen Petrovic
    3) Nikos Galis
    4) Tony Kukoc

I'd go for:
    Guards: Nikos Galis & Drazen Petrovic
    Forwards: Dejan Bodiroga & Toni Kukoc
    Center: Arvydas Sabonis
    I've got a theory that if you give a 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

1.Drazen Petrovic
    2.Arvydas Sabonis
    3.Sarunas Marciulionis
    4.Dirk Nowitzki
    5.Toni Kukoc

ps. Ricky Rubio gonna be at least No.3 in this rank in the future or even the best ever. We will see one day.

I would say you can't really compare, but to me, even if my knowledge of Euro ball before 2000 is very low, I would say Petrovic, for the same reasons I would prefer Rudy over Marc...
    Just, humanly normal body... And, well, he may have been better scorer than Schmitt, but was better surounded.
    Another great scorer on the OG scene was the South Korean who beat France by himself a few decades ago.
    To come back to Petrovic, well, he was the only guy who believed he would beat the dream team by himself and could lead his country over them in the middle of the game. What Kukoc, Radja and co would have done without him? They were very talented, but, Petrovic was at Jordan and co's level, as are today the Nowitzkis at the top level of basketball in the world, whatever the little rules changes. Sabonis was lowered by injuries, maybe without it...
    It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

AlbionGate

Dejan Bodiroga

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast