Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the greatest European player ever?

Default Who is the greatest European player ever?

well? Galis? Bodiroga? Petrovic? Sabonis?

What about the best euro player right now?

IMO
    Dirk rule
    1st in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2018-2019
    2nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2016-2017
    2nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2015-2016
    1st in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2014-2015
    2nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2013-2014
    2nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2012-2013
    2nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2010-2011
    3nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2009-2010
    1st in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2008-2009
    2nd in IBN PREDICTION GAME 2007-2008

Toni Kukoc I guess....they say he was the jordan of europe back then.

Quote Originally Posted by bestkept
    Toni Kukoc I guess....they say he was the jordan of europe back then.
    never trust what "they say" - trust your own senses
    My senses tell me - Arvydas Sabonis. A person who unites phenomenal physical abilities, great basketball IQ and elegance in basketball (before the injuries).

The Mozart of basketball Dražen Petrovic comes together, though to me Sabas is first of all a miracle of nature (as far as basketball is concerned), while Dražen is more a miracle of great work (meaning his very usual physical abilities).

Dirk comes probably third. I never had a great opinion about Tony Kukoc. He does not really stand out that much and definitely has nothing to do with MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Civilis
    I never had a great opinion about Tony Kukoc. He does not really stand out that much and definitely has nothing to do with MJ.
    What!? You're crazy, Civilis! Kukoc was a basketball genius. The man did help MJ get those titles. The only reason people don't talk about Kukoc more is because of Michael Jordan (same reason they don't talk about Pippen). Kukoc was a big man who could do anything: score, pass, drive, rebound, and even play defense. He was the Magic Johnson of the '90s.

That said, I also agree that Sabonis was the best player from Europe. There have been a lot of great ones, but Sabonis stands out the most because of his brute power and offensive creativity.

The best European player right now? I don't know...Nowitzki, Jasikevicius, Parker, Pau...

--Matt
    Last edited by mvblair; 09-27-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Sabas and Petrovic tied, but Dirk has the time and the skills to achieve that.
    "Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling."

Sabonis. Most gifted and most universal center ever. The fighter, unique.

Curren? Kirilenko, Nowitzki, Gasol, Jasikevicius.
    In Europe? Siskauskas. Euroleague final MVP (you know what i mean) and Top 5 player of Eurobasket.

Belov Sergei (Soviet Union)
    Berkowitz Miki (Israel)
    Bodiroga Dejan (Serbia/Mont.)
    Corbalan Juan Antonio (Spain)
    Cosic Kresimir (Croatia)
    Dalipagic Drazen (Bosnia)
    Danilovic Predrag (Serbia/Mont.)
    Delibasic Mirza (Bosnia)
    Divac Vlade (Serbia/Mont.)
    Djordjevic Aleksandar (Serbia/Mont.)
    Gallis Nikos (Greece)
    Gasol Pau (Spain)
    Giannakis Panagiotis (Greece)
    Jamchy Doron (Israel)
    Kicanovic Dragan (Serbia/Mont.)
    Korac Radivoj (Serbia/Mont.)
    Kukoc Toni (Croatia)
    Marciulionis Sarunas (Lithuania)
    Marzorati Pier Luigi (Italy)
    Meneghin Dino (Italy)
    Nowitzki Dirk (Germany)
    Petrovic Drazen (Croatia)
    Radja Dino (Croatia)
    Rigaudeau Antoine (France)
    Sabonis Arvydas (Lithuania)
    San Epifanio Juan Antonio (Spain)
    Schrempf Detlef (Germany)
    Slavnic Zoran (Serbia/Mont.)
    Smits Rick (Holland)
    Stojakovic Predrag (Serbia/Mont.)
    Tarakanov Sergei (USSR)
    Valters Valdis (Latvia)
    Volkov Aleksander (USSR)

maybe these guys

I sincerely believe Kukoč was underestimated. I've watched a couple of retro-games of ex-Yu NT from 89 and 91, he was a.m.a.z.i.n.g. as if Kirilenko with a bit more handling skills and a perfect shooting stroke. He was already near declining when in NBA, while he also had to bulk up to stay competitive there and he lost some of his agility considering his early days.
    I think we had a thread on the previous forum, where Petrovič and Sabonis were battleing for no.1 with Kukoč clear 3rd, couldn't agree more. Dirk is amazing player as well, but I can't avoid claiming Kukoč had a lot more weapons in his arsenal than Dirk had.
    I am starting to like Dirk a lot though, not really because of his game, but because of behaviour a lot of supposed stars could learn from...

Kukoč was 3 times EL champion with Split, 3 times proclaimed the best player in europe while in Benneton, 2 olympic silvers, gold and bronze at WC and EC and 3 NBA titles... and imo most definately 3rd best european player of all times...

I have some issues with the likes of Rik Smits getting mentioned, what exactly did he have in common with european basketball?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Two previous threads (here and here) tried to shed some light on the issue. I still mantain my opinion, Sabonis with Nowitzki following him closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Matiz
    I have some issues with the likes of Rik Smits getting mentioned, what exactly did he have in common with european basketball?
    Nothing, you're right, but he was European.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Sabonis and Petrovic tied. I cant compare these two genious.

Right now? i will give u a clue : It begins with 'D' and finishes with 'irk Nowitki'
    I KISS BASKET

Philip nice pasting.

My opinion: Sabonis. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by parso View Post
    Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
    Quote Originally Posted by sseppel View Post
    it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
    Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Quote Originally Posted by ArkadiosV2
    Philip nice pasting.

My opinion: Sabonis. That's it.
    I agree. And also agree with Civilis about T. Kukoc. For me Tony (or Toni?) is definitely not in top 3 of all time. Not even top 5 I think.

PS. For "all time" I mean eighties and up. It's realy difficult to compare earlier players with more or less recent ones.

Matiz: It is not difficult to demonstrate good and even amazing play when Soviet era is over and Lithuania's was not started yet officially. I think you must see some games of Tony against Lith in 92-95 (in 1988 Tony was too young for serious competition)

Quote Originally Posted by Matiz
    I am starting to like Dirk a lot though, not really because of his game, but because of behaviour a lot of supposed stars could learn from...
    Just rememmbered, in some interviews, I guess, one of our NT doctors said, that Dirk surprised him a lot in Madrid's hotel - he was very friendly, simple, nice and so on person, who really didin't behave like superstar or smth
    some more "+"/points in Dirk's account

What about Nick Galis?

He took Greece ti their first European title in EuroBasket ever almost single handedly defeating the Sabonis lead Soviet Union and scored 40 points in the final. In the four EuroBaskets and one World Championship he participated he was the leading scorer. He won one EuroBasket Gold, One Silver, numerous Greek Cups and Korac Cups. His scoring average was over 30 points where ever he went in every season. He was a superb player in the NCAA too

Quote Originally Posted by dmt
    What about Nick Galis?

He took Greece ti their first European title in EuroBasket ever almost single handedly defeating the Sabonis lead Soviet Union and scored 40 points in the final. In the four EuroBaskets and one World Championship he participated he was the leading scorer. He won one EuroBasket Gold, One Silver, numerous Greek Cups and Korac Cups. His scoring average was over 30 points where ever he went in every season. He was a superb player in the NCAA too
    Nikos Galis never won a international title with his club. Aris won the Korac Cup in 97 and Galis stopped playing 95. In 93 Aris won the Saporta Cup but before this season Galis leaves the club and went to PAO.

And one mor thing. Sabonis was injured in the year 87 and was not playing at the Eurobasket.

Quote Originally Posted by Buducnost PG
    Nikos Galis never won a international title with his club. Aris won the Korac Cup in 97 and Galis stopped playing 95. In 93 Aris won the Saporta Cup but before this season Galis leaves the club and went to PAO.

And one mor thing. Sabonis was injured in the year 87 and was not playing at the Eurobasket.
    sorry my mistake. He did however lead Greece to wins over great nations like USSR AND Yugoslavia

Quote Originally Posted by Buducnost PG
    check this out

http://youtube.com/watch?v=94X7oyzlf...4FDC84&index=0
    YouTube - Galis vs Sabonis (eurobasket 1989 semifinal)

NICK GALIS - THE GREEK GOD OF BASKETBALL

www.geocities.com/nikosgalis/video1.html
    Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 09-28-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmt
    What about Nick Galis?
    I lost a bigger part of my nerve cells because of him, but I can fully agree - for me Galis is one of the very best european players. His play was simply amazing.

Senior Member Turkish Airlines Euroleague's Avatar

Nick Galis is the best. In scoring issues NONE can compete with him, even Nowitzi or Petrovic.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast