This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mvblair View Post

Would anybody believe me if I said Joseph is my cousin?
    It's plausible but it's obvious from the pics in the link that ur much more fit than him Matt. I'm sure u would destroy him in a 1 on 1 pickup game (especially considering that ur a big shot prodigy in ur local YMCA in Ohio )

Comment

Let's just say this: Cousin Joe doesn't want to meet me in a dark alley.
      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Costa Rican LBS 2010

A cute little introductory article:
        Costa Rica's basketball season tips off - Adam Williams, The Tico Times, March 4, 2010

Costa Rica's premier basketball league tipped off Tuesday night, as all eight national teams were in action for the first round of the Torneo de Copa, the league's annual tournament. The first national basketball league was created in 1975; the Superior Basketball League (LBS), which began its fifth season Tuesday, was created in 2005.

Over the course of the next five weeks, the eight teams in the LBS will compete to be the tournament's champion, to be crowned the first week of April.

The teams competing for the Cup are:

* The Ferretería Brenes Barva – The Heredia-based favorite to win the tournament and league
        * Kolbi Liceo of Costa Rica – Considered a top challenger for the title
        * Escazú
        * University of Costa Rica (UCR)
        * Ferretería Boston – from the southern zone city of Pérez Zeledón
        * San Luis Gonzaga – Cartago based squad
        * USJ ARBA – Second year team based in San Ramón, Alajuela
        * Cartago – first year in top division

In the first round of games Tuesday, Barva, the favorite to win the tournament, trounced UCR 83-57 at the UCR gym in San Pedro. In other action, ARBA crushed San Luis Gonzaga 94 to 52 and Cartago eked past Boston Pérez Zeledon 60-59. Escazú and Kolbi Liceo will play their first round game on March 21.

The eight teams in the tournament are grouped into two divisions of four teams each. In the first round, teams in each division play each other twice for a total of six games. At the completion of the first round, the top two teams from each division advanced to the semifinals, where they will play a best-of-three series. The winners of the two semifinal series will play a best-of-three series in the finals of the competition. The finals are scheduled to begin the week of April 5.

The second round of games is scheduled for Friday night.
        Barva is the undisputed favorite. They've one the past three championships. They've got a couple of key national team members on their team and a good coach in Luis Blanco.

Unfortunately, the league as a whole is still floundering. The players are all semi-pro. Ferretería Brenes (Brenes Hardware) is still the only reliable sponsor, although the University of Costa Rica and Liceo still support their teams. The American investors from Arizona State, including former NBA player Khalid Reeves and Joseph Blair, appear to have left.
        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

What happened to Limon? Always one of the top teams and with the best Spanglish names.
          Originally posted by Fedfan
          Most ppl get childish when they lose.
          Originally posted by GuTO
          refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
            What happened to Limon? Always one of the top teams and with the best Spanglish names.

I really don't know what happened to Limon. I read that they just didn't register to be in the league, which is a real shock because they were always one of the best. Another team good team, Goicoechea, didn't register either. Back in '05 or '06, there were something like 12 teams in the league. Now it's down to 8.

I don't know what happened to Limon's players either. I wrote to a friend who is in the league, so we'll see what he says.

Comment

Barva won their fifth title in a row.
              Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
              Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                Barva won their fifth title in a row.
                I got to catch one game of the Opening season, but I didn't follow the Closing season at all. Thanks for the note about this.

Barva is now the only semi-pro team that is paying their players a living wage (and it's barely a living wage, I think). All the other teams have part time players who are working other jobs during the day or (most likely) being supported by family members.

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information