Spanish defense in Eurobasket 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish defense in Eurobasket 2007

I think Pepu is the right coach for this NT and a great coache, but don't you think he has taken some bad decissions this year? He has made some mistakes in the rotations, as keeping Calderon in the bench in final's last quarter or starting against Israel with players who hadn't played last games.

But what worries me more have been some decissions about the defense. Against Croatia, he keep playing in zone, while the croats were crushing us with three point shots. Against Greece, we were pressing all the court while we were winning. Really he thought that Diamantidis or Spanoulis would lose the ball in the middle of the court again and again? He had done against Germany, and clearly was something he wanted to train in order to use it with Greece, but don't know what's the reasoning behind this.

First half's defense against Israel was awful, but probably this is more for players to blame.

Don't you think?

Samuel, donĀ“t forget Latvia game. Valters,Helmanis and co. socored from the arc easy the 1st and a part of 3r quarter.Until Pepu change zone defense, by 1on1 defense

Comment

i think against greece in japan spain had the best defence game.
      it was the best defence i've seen ever.
      against greece in eurobasket i wouldnt say it was good.i remember some plays where greek players took the ball alone down the basket.

i cant forget the croatia game. i think he should have make a foul to the croats.thats what great team do in my opinion.theyhave the last attack in their hands.thats what yannakis did against croatia and greece won
      that what spain should do when holden took the ball.i remember it was 20 sec?you make a quick foul and you take the last offence

Comment

i remember it was 20 sec?you make a quick foul and you take the last offence
        You must have ''balls'' to do that.
        Spain chose the easy way as they did last year versus argentina when they depended on the last shot of nocioni.

You can t be lucky all the time

Comment

Originally posted by FRANKY 13
          You must have ''balls'' to do that.
          Spain chose the easy way as they did last year versus argentina when they depended on the last shot of nocioni.

You can t be lucky all the time
          do u really believe it's better 2 foul in the last possession 2 have the last shot?
          is it better 2 send your opponent 2 the ft line 2 do what he is training all his life?
          it's not luck 2 win because your opponent missed the last shot, luck is 2 win after a wrong decision.everybody says defense wins games.well, how can a team win games when the coach doesn't trust his defense in the last play?
          Your time is up my time is now,
          you can't see me my time is now...

"Basketball is like the church. Many attend it, but few understand it"

If u smell what the G.L. is cookin'...

The Demon of Greek loby is here!

Comment

Originally posted by T.W.Is.M.
            do u really believe it's better 2 foul in the last possession 2 have the last shot?
            is it better 2 send your opponent 2 the ft line 2 do what he is training all his life?
            it's not luck 2 win because your opponent missed the last shot, luck is 2 win after a wrong decision.everybody says defense wins games.well, how can a team win games when the coach doesn't trust his defense in the last play?
            Well it depends how the last action took place. In the 2006 WC semifinal, ginobili found the open guy (nocioni) who had the time and the free space to do exactly what he was training for his whole life.
            Thats why spain was lucky at this play. because a good shooter lost an entirely free 3pointer.

As for the decision to foul or not. If I had the players of spain, I think I would prefer to trust my offence than my defence.

we clearly saw in 3 similar cases ( argentina, croatia, russia) that spains defence isn t worth beeing trusted.

better to foul, send a bad shooter to the line ( croatia or russia had quite a few) and then have the last ossesion. And who knows , you don t even know if he will put the 2 free rhrows in anyway ( parker, planinic, diaw...)

Comment

My opinion:

Well, in some games, spain's zone defense was not a real "zone defense". They were giving some guys free space (usually the centers who could not shoot from the outside like Savrasenko ou Papadopoulos) in order to Gasol (most of the times) give some help on dribble penetration. Sometimes i understood they where pressing to get some extra seconds, and then they where making some "strange" defense so the other team loosed a few more seconds figuring what the hell was going on.

I saw some games where they were almost in box and one or 3+2 (Greece if my memory isn't playing me tricks: Spanoulis and Papaloukas). Other times they simply where giving some space on the outside and switching in every pick. Most of the teams switched even in pick & roll situations between small guards and big centers. This was interesting.

My opinion was Pepu felt his team wasn't physically or mentally ready to play an aggressive man to man defense, that's how it looked in my TV, since it seemed outside players where often beaten while defending penetrations.

Sorry if my English isn't in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by FRANKY 13
                Well it depends how the last action took place. In the 2006 WC semifinal, ginobili found the open guy (nocioni) who had the time and the free space to do exactly what he was training for his whole life.
                Thats why spain was lucky at this play. because a good shooter lost an entirely free 3pointer.

As for the decision to foul or not. If I had the players of spain, I think I would prefer to trust my offence than my defence.

we clearly saw in 3 similar cases ( argentina, croatia, russia) that spains defence isn t worth beeing trusted.

better to foul, send a bad shooter to the line ( croatia or russia had quite a few) and then have the last ossesion. And who knows , you don t even know if he will put the 2 free rhrows in anyway ( parker, planinic, diaw...)
                It's just a matter of different approach.However, Spain's defense was the one that won the WC by holding Greece to 47 points.They held Russia to 60 points in this year's final, but failed 2 score more than 59 and lost.And don't forget that in the semifinal of the WC Argentina fouled intentionally in order 2 have the last possession.In fact, the risk was half successful, as Calderon missed 1/2 FT.The truth is that all this I'm saying come from a fan who hates those intentional fouls with the difference at 3 just 2 avoid a tying 3pointer.This tactics remind me of the notorious hack-a Shaq.Bball in europe is already a 3p contest.Let's not make it a FT contest also...
                Your time is up my time is now,
                you can't see me my time is now...

"Basketball is like the church. Many attend it, but few understand it"

If u smell what the G.L. is cookin'...

The Demon of Greek loby is here!

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information