The new World Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new World Rankings

surprisingly enough, the FIBA world rankings for men were updated today (pretty fast for them). see www.fiba.com.
    The bigest loser is Italy, who fell from 6th to 7th and will mis the Olympics next year, which will result in a further deduction of 70 points (if my calculations are correct). so Italy could find themselves losing a couple more positions next year..
    Serbia is also looking at losing the top-five spot (to Lithuania first and foremost ) for the first time an a veeeeery long time (wonder if they ever were outside of it), coz they are bound to have a 65 points deduction after the next year's Olympics (also see France in this regard).

F.Y.R. of Macedonia crashed out of the rankings.

the bigest winners are... Poland and Portugal, who jumped from "unranked" (zero points) into 56th and 44th spots respectively. impressive

other important European states that were influenced by the results:
    current placing (placing before the Eurobasket): points (point change after the Eurobasket)

3 (3). Spain - 580 (0)
    4 (4). Serbia - 534 (-24)
    5 (5). Lithuania - 486 (+16)
    6 (7) Greece - 429 (+12)
    7 (6) Italy - 378 (-40)
    8 (8) France - 369 (-4) (will have 200 points deducted after the Olympics next year)
    9 (10) Germany - 284 (+2) (shares the spot with Australia)
    15 (14). Turkey - 203 (-3) (overtaken by Angola)
    16 (18). Russia - 186 (+37)
    19 (19). Slovenia - 124 (+3)
    20 (21). Croatia - 100 (+5)
    24 (24). Israel - 60 (-2) (trails to Lebanon..........)
    34 (36). Latvia - 29 (+6) (my bigest dissapointment of this tournament)
    38 (38). Bosnia and Herzogovina - 16 (-4)
    44 (NA). Portugal - 10 (+10)
    56 (NA). Poland - 6 (+6)
    56 (53). Czech Republic - 6 (-1)
    NA (56). F.Y.R. of Macedonia - 0 (-6)

73 states have been ranked.

btw, I'll use this opportunity to remind (myself including) that Eurobasket for women starts next monday!!!

k
    stop russia

i know this was targeting just the euro land, but could u please put in the full list also. i'd like to see who is 1 and 2 respectively
    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by kestas
      surprisingly enough, the FIBA world rankings for men were updated today (pretty fast for them). see www.fiba.com.
      The bigest loser is Italy, who fell from 6th to 7th and will mis the Olympics next year, which will result in a further deduction of 70 points (if my calculations are correct). so Italy could find themselves losing a couple more positions next year..
      Serbia is also looking at losing the top-five spot (to Lithuania first and foremost ) for the first time an a veeeeery long time (wonder if they ever were outside of it), coz they are bound to have a 65 points deduction after the next year's Olympics (also see France in this regard).

F.Y.R. of Macedonia crashed out of the rankings.

the bigest winners are... Poland and Portugal, who jumped from "unranked" (zero points) into 56th and 44th spots respectively. impressive

other important European states that were influenced by the results:
      current placing (placing before the Eurobasket): points (point change after the Eurobasket)

3 (3). Spain - 580 (0)
      4 (4). Serbia - 534 (-24)
      5 (5). Lithuania - 486 (+16)
      6 (7) Greece - 429 (+12)
      7 (6) Italy - 378 (-40)
      8 (8) France - 369 (-4) (will have 200 points deducted after the Olympics next year)
      9 (10) Germany - 284 (+2) (shares the spot with Australia)
      15 (14). Turkey - 203 (-3) (overtaken by Angola)
      16 (18). Russia - 186 (+37)
      19 (19). Slovenia - 124 (+3)
      20 (21). Croatia - 100 (+5)
      24 (24). Israel - 60 (-2) (trails to Lebanon..........)
      34 (36). Latvia - 29 (+6) (my bigest dissapointment of this tournament)
      38 (38). Bosnia and Herzogovina - 16 (-4)
      44 (NA). Portugal - 10 (+10)
      56 (NA). Poland - 6 (+6)
      56 (53). Czech Republic - 6 (-1)
      NA (56). F.Y.R. of Macedonia - 0 (-6)

73 states have been ranked.

btw, I'll use this opportunity to remind (myself including) that Eurobasket for women starts next monday!!!

k
      what do u ,mean.france will be -200 for not partcipating in the olympics?

Comment

Originally posted by KONSTANTINE
        what do u ,mean.france will be -200 for not partcipating in the olympics?
        deduction for not defending their silver medal, which is worth 200 points (four times the worth of the Eurobasket's gold).

regarding the full rankings, it's on fiba's site,
        stop russia

Comment

Originally posted by kestas
          deduction for not defending their silver medal, which is worth 200 points (four times the worth of the Eurobasket's gold).

regarding the full rankings, it's on fiba's site,
          http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/eve...3/rankMen.html
          Doesn't that apply to Italy instead of France?

Comment

Originally posted by sashikas
            Doesn't that apply to Italy instead of France?
            I'm reading the same fiba.com that you do
            the rankings are for an 8 year cycle. for example, this time 1999 Eurobasket results were replaced by the 2007 Eurobasket results - thus the changes. next year 2000 Olympics results will be replaced by the new ones and so on.. and France were second, Italy 5th in 2000.
            btw, come to think of it, we're risking quite a lot as well (150 points to defend)..
            stop russia

Comment

So annoying. Serbia has not finished ahead of Lithuania in any major men's tournament since 2002 and Serbia is still ranked ahead of Lithuania - because of results from 2001 and 2002.

There's an incongruity in the calculations though:

"The ranking is calculated within the scope of a 2 Olympic Games cycle. Here are the number of competitions that are taken into account:

2 FIBA World Championships
              2 Olympic Basketball Tournaments
              2 FIBA U19 World Championships
              2 FIBA U21 World Championships
              5 FIBA Africa Championships
              5 FIBA Americas Championships
              5 FIBA Asia Championships
              5 Eurobasket Championships
              5 FIBA Oceania Championships

Whenever a new championship is played the oldest championship of that category drops out. The FIBA Ranking is then recalculated."

Therefore, after next summer's olympic games, the 2000 Olympic results disappear from the rankings but the 1999 European championship results stay!

Last edited by Hepcat; 09-17-2007, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat
                So annoying. Serbia has not finished ahead of Lithuania in any major men's tournament since 2002 and Serbia is still ranked ahead of Lithuania - because of results from 2001 and 2002.

There's an incongruity in the calculations though:

"The ranking is calculated within the scope of a 2 Olympic Games cycle. Here are the number of competitions that are taken into account:

2 FIBA World Championships
                2 Olympic Basketball Tournaments
                2 FIBA U19 World Championships
                2 FIBA U21 World Championships
                5 FIBA Africa Championships
                5 FIBA Americas Championships
                5 FIBA Asia Championships
                5 Eurobasket Championships
                5 FIBA Oceania Championships

Whenever a new championship is played the oldest championship of that category drops out. The FIBA Ranking is then recalculated."

Therefore, after next summer's olympic games, the 2000 Olympic results disappear from the rankings but the 1999 European championship results stay!

Well, I'm checking how the points are evolving and it seems like the points from this Eurobasket are replacing the points from the 1999 edition. So I guess it's only 4 championships taken into account after all.

Comment

Well, I'm checking how the points are evolving and it seems like the points from this Eurobasket are replacing the points from the 1999 edition. So I guess it's only 4 championships taken into account after all.
                  That at least would make sense in light of the statement that the rankings are based on two Olympic cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat
                    So annoying. Serbia has not finished ahead of Lithuania in any major men's tournament since 2002
                    they did reasonably well in youth tournaments though (especially this summer), that's what keeps them afloat.
                    stop russia

Comment

The big factor in Serbia's high ranking is still the 2002 World Championship though.

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information