Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualification for EC 09 in Poland

Default Qualification for EC 09 in Poland

I know the most of teams that will play the qualification, but i am not sure about how many will play and will France play too as 8th from the EC 07.

Serbia
    Turkey
    Italy
    Israel
    Bulgaria
    Bosnia
    Belgium
    Greatbritain
    Finland
    Portugal
    Hungary
    Sweden
    Macedonia
    Estonia
    Latvia
    Chezch Republic
    Ukraine

That are 17 Teams in the last year it were 16 teams.

It's maybe the right place to mention that in return game between Finland and Romania for last spot in Division A, Finland won 111:61, leading by 63 points after 28 minutes. Crazy stuff, especially with Romania having 7 points lead after game first. But Finland with players like Rannikko, Kopponen, Mottola, Nikkila and some other less known games plus Henrik Dettmann as a coach, clearly looks like a decent team.
    Why you should going out to get a hamburger, if you can get steak at home?

I believe Sweden dropped to B-league.

Finnish basketball association has a nice photo series from the decisive Finland-Romania game, "On the way towards the dreams":

http://www.koris.net/maajoukkueet/kohti_unelmia/

So you can get to know Finnish players . Notice that almost all pictures of Mttl puts him on the bench. He just came back from surgery, nevertheless gave nice 10 minutes on the court. Rannikko was as important as ever, but the overall result was a result of team work and some further players showing their skills 100 %:ly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakkapeliitta
    I believe Sweden dropped to B-league.

Finnish basketball association has a nice photo series from the decisive Finland-Romania game, "On the way towards the dreams":

http://www.koris.net/maajoukkueet/kohti_unelmia/

So you can get to know Finnish players . Notice that almost all pictures of Mttl puts him on the bench. He just came back from surgery, nevertheless gave nice 10 minutes on the court. Rannikko was as important as ever, but the overall result was a result of team work and some further players showing their skills 100 %:ly.
    It was Danmark who dropped into B-League.

Quote Originally Posted by Buducnost PG
    It was Danmark who dropped into B-League.
    I think it was Denmark AND Sweden going down, I just don't know who advanced along with Finland.
    Why you should going out to get a hamburger, if you can get steak at home?

Quote Originally Posted by woma
    I think it was Denmark AND Sweden going down, I just don't know who advanced along with Finland.
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

is it known when qualification matches start ??

Quote Originally Posted by zik013
    is it known when qualification matches start ??
    next year as always..
    in september probably..
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

According to the german bball federation (link to the article: click) , the best 7 EC 2007 teams are qualified for the EC 2009: Russia, Spain, Lithuania, Greece, Germany, Croatia and Slovenia. All other teams (including France) will have to play the qualifiers.

According to articles 30 and 31 of the FIBA Europe regulations eight men's teams qualify directly for EuroBasket 2009, in Poland, 7-20 September 2009: European champions Russia, Spain, Lithuania, Greece, Germany, Croatia, Slovenia and hosts Poland.

There are 17 other Division A teams who will have to participate in the Qualifying Round, starting this summer.

These teams will be divided into three groups of four teams and one group of five teams.

The winners of each group, plus the three best placed runners-up will go to EuroBasket 2009.

The games of the qualifying round will be played in August and September 2008.

The last place will be up for grabs through an Additional Qualifying Round in the summer of 2009.
    Division A

Teams to be divided into 4 groups (3 groups of 4 and 1 group of 5)

The winners of each group plus the three best placed runners-up will go to EuroBasket 2009.

One more team will qualify through the Additional Qualifying Round.

Seeding for Qualifying Round group games:

FRANCE
    8th Place in Eurobasket 2007
    ITALY
    9th Place in EuroBasket 2007
    PORTUGAL
    9th Place in EuroBasket 2007
    ISRAEL
    11th Place in EuroBasket 2007
    TURKEY
    11th Place in EuroBasket 2007
    LATVIA
    13th Place in EuroBasket 2007
    SERBIA
    CZECH REPUBLIC
    FYROM
    2nd in AQT
    BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA
    3rd in AQT
    UKRAINE
    AQR
    BULGARIA
    AQR
    ESTONIA
    AQR
    BELGIUM
    AQR
    HUNGARY
    Winner of RT
    FINLAND
    Promoted from Division B
    GREAT BRITAIN
    Promoted from Division B

Qualifying Round game dates:

20th, 23rd, 27th, 30th August and 3rd, 6th, 10th, 13th, 17th, 20th September 2008

Additional Qualifying and Relegation Round game dates:

5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th, 20th, 27th - 30th August 2009
    http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_mYGdG...leMode_on.html
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Finally a chance to see some good international basketball in Finland, if teams like Italy, France, Serbia, Turkey or Israel come to the same group with Finns. Then again, I would not mind a group consisting of Portugal, Czechs and Bulgaria: in that kind of group Finns could create surprises. However, my main wish is that the Finnish national team secures its position on A-level. For a start, that's good enough.

Default Euro 2009 groups

A-Serbia, Italy, Bulgaria, Hungary, Finland
    B-Latvia, Portugal, Estonia, Macedonia
    C-Turkey, France, Belgium, Ukraine
    D-Czech, Israel, Great Britain, Bosnia
    47-70
    76-58

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoo
    A-Serbia, Italy, Bulgaria, Hungary, Finland
    B-Latvia, Portugal, Estonia, Macedonia
    Portugal is in a good group imo, avoiding Serbia, Italy, Turkey and France. The chances are good. They beat Latvia in last year's Eurobasket and Estonia (although from the 2 games played until now against them they lost) and Macedonia are teams that can be beaten. Groups A and C should be easy for the first 2 teams. Some uncertainty about group D (as well as B for that matter).
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Senior Member Juan Carlos Nadal's Avatar

A-Serbia, Italy, Bulgaria, Finland, Hungary
    B-Latvia, Portugal, Estonia, FYROM

Wow, we got two different types of groups.

In A and C you got two clear front runners, which will be very unlikely to not pinch the two first spots (i.e. top spot plus one of the 3 best second places). Groups B and D are much more open, with 3 or more candidates for the available places. In group B almost anyone can make it through, but I predict that this may be the group where the 2nd placed team will be left out. Latvia is ahead of the rest, but I'd like to see what Portugal, Estonia and FYROM have to say about it. As for Bulgaria, I think we got the toughest group we could possibly get. Even the lower-seeded teams are fairly strong and in our current state I cannot see us even coming close to challenge the Serbs or the Italians

Btw, what's the situation with Montenegro? Have they not formed a team ready to compete yet?
    The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Montenegro will play in Division B

What I don't understand is this
    The winners of each group plus the three best placed runners-up will go to EuroBasket 2009.
    How will they handle this as one group is wirth 5 teams and 3 groups are with 4 teams. So the second placed in the 5 team group will very probably have more points than the other group runner ups
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.europeanprospects.com
    Who will be the next ...?
    News and Scouting Reports on European Youth Basketball

Senior Member Juan Carlos Nadal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xtf_no4
    Montenegro will play in Division B

What I don't understand is this

How will they handle this as one group is wirth 5 teams and 3 groups are with 4 teams. So the second placed in the 5 team group will very probably have more points than the other group runner ups

Exactly my thought. I'd guess FIBA will come up with some genius algorithmic formula to determine this. It would be so much easier to allow all 4 2nd placed teams to advance and forget about the extra preliminary round a month before the actual tournament, the purpose of which still beats me.

As for Montenegro, yeah you are right, I completely forgot there is such a thing as Div 2... My bad
    The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

It will be like FIFA or UEFA Groups. The teams in the groups with more teams will be stripped off their points won Vs the last team of the group with the more teams... Don't know if I explained it correctly, but that's the general idea.

Quote Originally Posted by parso View Post
    Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
    Quote Originally Posted by sseppel View Post
    it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
    Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Brits are put into a nice group..
    with Deng they could actually be second in the group and maybe even qualify for the EC..
    that would be great for London olympics bball tournament..
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
    It would be so much easier to allow all 4 2nd placed teams to advance and forget about the extra preliminary round a month before the actual tournament, the purpose of which still beats me.
    hold it, hold it. i see this statment as an anti-israeli one.
    though our group is not that weak i think it's a good draw.
    i kinda guess that the Czech will have some of their key players taking the summer off. even one player could be crucial for them. BIH is always strong, the UK can pose problems but we have the most experience, hopefuly there won't be any reason for playing our home games abroad and we should avoid the additional tournment this time.

Quote Originally Posted by xtf_no4
    Here is the answer from FIBA

The best second place teams are not decided by number of points they are decided by win-loss percentage. In the case of two teams having the same W/L % then the tiebreaker is goal average which is points scored divided by points allowed.
    http://www.europeanprospects.com
    Who will be the next ...?
    News and Scouting Reports on European Youth Basketball

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast