This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualification for EC 09 in Poland

I know the most of teams that will play the qualification, but i am not sure about how many will play and will France play too as 8th from the EC 07.

Serbia
    Turkey
    Italy
    Israel
    Bulgaria
    Bosnia
    Belgium
    Greatbritain
    Finland
    Portugal
    Hungary
    Sweden
    Macedonia
    Estonia
    Latvia
    Chezch Republic
    Ukraine

That are 17 Teams in the last year it were 16 teams.

It's maybe the right place to mention that in return game between Finland and Romania for last spot in Division A, Finland won 111:61, leading by 63 points after 28 minutes. Crazy stuff, especially with Romania having 7 points lead after game first. But Finland with players like Rannikko, Kopponen, Mottola, Nikkila and some other less known games plus Henrik Dettmann as a coach, clearly looks like a decent team.
    Why you should going out to get a hamburger, if you can get steak at home?

Comment

I believe Sweden dropped to B-league.

Finnish basketball association has a nice photo series from the decisive Finland-Romania game, "On the way towards the dreams":

So you can get to know Finnish players . Notice that almost all pictures of Möttölä puts him on the bench. He just came back from surgery, nevertheless gave nice 10 minutes on the court. Rannikko was as important as ever, but the overall result was a result of team work and some further players showing their skills 100 %:ly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkapeliitta
        I believe Sweden dropped to B-league.

Finnish basketball association has a nice photo series from the decisive Finland-Romania game, "On the way towards the dreams":

So you can get to know Finnish players . Notice that almost all pictures of Möttölä puts him on the bench. He just came back from surgery, nevertheless gave nice 10 minutes on the court. Rannikko was as important as ever, but the overall result was a result of team work and some further players showing their skills 100 %:ly.
        It was Danmark who dropped into B-League.

Comment

Originally posted by Buducnost PG
          It was Danmark who dropped into B-League.
          I think it was Denmark AND Sweden going down, I just don't know who advanced along with Finland.
          Why you should going out to get a hamburger, if you can get steak at home?

Comment

Originally posted by woma
            I think it was Denmark AND Sweden going down, I just don't know who advanced along with Finland.
            UK
            Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
            That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

is it known when qualification matches start ??

Comment

Originally posted by zik013
                is it known when qualification matches start ??
                next year as always..
                in september probably..
                "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

According to the german bball federation (link to the article: click) , the best 7 EC 2007 teams are qualified for the EC 2009: Russia, Spain, Lithuania, Greece, Germany, Croatia and Slovenia. All other teams (including France) will have to play the qualifiers.

Comment

According to articles 30 and 31 of the FIBA Europe regulations eight men's teams qualify directly for EuroBasket 2009, in Poland, 7-20 September 2009: European champions Russia, Spain, Lithuania, Greece, Germany, Croatia, Slovenia and hosts Poland.

There are 17 other Division A teams who will have to participate in the Qualifying Round, starting this summer.

These teams will be divided into three groups of four teams and one group of five teams.

The winners of each group, plus the three best placed runners-up will go to EuroBasket 2009.

The games of the qualifying round will be played in August and September 2008.

The last place will be up for grabs through an Additional Qualifying Round in the summer of 2009.
                    Division A

Teams to be divided into 4 groups (3 groups of 4 and 1 group of 5)

The winners of each group plus the three best placed runners-up will go to EuroBasket 2009.

One more team will qualify through the Additional Qualifying Round.

Seeding for Qualifying Round group games:

FRANCE
                    8th Place in Eurobasket 2007
                    ITALY
                    9th Place in EuroBasket 2007
                    PORTUGAL
                    9th Place in EuroBasket 2007
                    ISRAEL
                    11th Place in EuroBasket 2007
                    TURKEY
                    11th Place in EuroBasket 2007
                    LATVIA
                    13th Place in EuroBasket 2007
                    SERBIA
                    CZECH REPUBLIC
                    FYROM
                    2nd in AQT
                    BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA
                    3rd in AQT
                    UKRAINE
                    AQR
                    BULGARIA
                    AQR
                    ESTONIA
                    AQR
                    BELGIUM
                    AQR
                    HUNGARY
                    Winner of RT
                    FINLAND
                    Promoted from Division B
                    GREAT BRITAIN
                    Promoted from Division B

Qualifying Round game dates:

20th, 23rd, 27th, 30th August and 3rd, 6th, 10th, 13th, 17th, 20th September 2008

Additional Qualifying and Relegation Round game dates:

5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th, 20th, 27th - 30th August 2009
                    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

Finally a chance to see some good international basketball in Finland, if teams like Italy, France, Serbia, Turkey or Israel come to the same group with Finns. Then again, I would not mind a group consisting of Portugal, Czechs and Bulgaria: in that kind of group Finns could create surprises. However, my main wish is that the Finnish national team secures its position on A-level. For a start, that's good enough.

Comment

Euro 2009 groups

A-Serbia, Italy, Bulgaria, Hungary, Finland
                        B-Latvia, Portugal, Estonia, Macedonia
                        C-Turkey, France, Belgium, Ukraine
                        D-Czech, Israel, Great Britain, Bosnia
                        47-70
                        76-58

Comment

Originally posted by Nikoo
                          A-Serbia, Italy, Bulgaria, Hungary, Finland
                          B-Latvia, Portugal, Estonia, Macedonia
                          Portugal is in a good group imo, avoiding Serbia, Italy, Turkey and France. The chances are good. They beat Latvia in last year's Eurobasket and Estonia (although from the 2 games played until now against them they lost) and Macedonia are teams that can be beaten. Groups A and C should be easy for the first 2 teams. Some uncertainty about group D (as well as B for that matter).
                          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

A-Serbia, Italy, Bulgaria, Finland, Hungary
                            B-Latvia, Portugal, Estonia, FYROM

Wow, we got two different types of groups.

In A and C you got two clear front runners, which will be very unlikely to not pinch the two first spots (i.e. top spot plus one of the 3 best second places). Groups B and D are much more open, with 3 or more candidates for the available places. In group B almost anyone can make it through, but I predict that this may be the group where the 2nd placed team will be left out. Latvia is ahead of the rest, but I'd like to see what Portugal, Estonia and FYROM have to say about it. As for Bulgaria, I think we got the toughest group we could possibly get. Even the lower-seeded teams are fairly strong and in our current state I cannot see us even coming close to challenge the Serbs or the Italians

Btw, what's the situation with Montenegro? Have they not formed a team ready to compete yet?
                            The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

Montenegro will play in Division B

What I don't understand is this
                              The winners of each group plus the three best placed runners-up will go to EuroBasket 2009.
                              How will they handle this as one group is wirth 5 teams and 3 groups are with 4 teams. So the second placed in the 5 team group will very probably have more points than the other group runner ups
                              ----------------------------------
                              http://www.europeanprospects.com
                              Who will be the next ...?
                              News and Scouting Reports on European Youth Basketball
                              ----------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information