X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xtf_no4
    Montenegro will play in Division B

What I don't understand is this

How will they handle this as one group is wirth 5 teams and 3 groups are with 4 teams. So the second placed in the 5 team group will very probably have more points than the other group runner ups

Exactly my thought. I'd guess FIBA will come up with some genius algorithmic formula to determine this. It would be so much easier to allow all 4 2nd placed teams to advance and forget about the extra preliminary round a month before the actual tournament, the purpose of which still beats me.

As for Montenegro, yeah you are right, I completely forgot there is such a thing as Div 2... My bad
    The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

It will be like FIFA or UEFA Groups. The teams in the groups with more teams will be stripped off their points won Vs the last team of the group with the more teams... Don't know if I explained it correctly, but that's the general idea.

Originally posted by parso
      Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
      Originally posted by sseppel
      it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
      Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
      Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

Brits are put into a nice group..
        with Deng they could actually be second in the group and maybe even qualify for the EC..
        that would be great for London olympics bball tournament..
        "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
          It would be so much easier to allow all 4 2nd placed teams to advance and forget about the extra preliminary round a month before the actual tournament, the purpose of which still beats me.
          hold it, hold it. i see this statment as an anti-israeli one.
          though our group is not that weak i think it's a good draw.
          i kinda guess that the Czech will have some of their key players taking the summer off. even one player could be crucial for them. BIH is always strong, the UK can pose problems but we have the most experience, hopefuly there won't be any reason for playing our home games abroad and we should avoid the additional tournment this time.

Comment

Originally posted by xtf_no4
            How will they handle this as one group is wirth 5 teams and 3 groups are with 4 teams. So the second placed in the 5 team group will very probably have more points than the other group runner ups
            Here is the answer from FIBA

The best second place teams are not decided by number of points they are decided by win-loss percentage. In the case of two teams having the same W/L % then the tiebreaker is goal average which is points scored divided by points allowed.
            ----------------------------------
            http://www.europeanprospects.com
            Who will be the next ...?
            News and Scouting Reports on European Youth Basketball
            ----------------------------------

Comment

Portugal big man Elvis Evora has warned his teammates not to be overconfident after being drawn against Latvia, FYR Macedonia and Estonia for EuroBasket 2009 qualifying games.

The Portuguese were the surprise package of the last qualifying campaign when they beat the Macedonians and Israelis, and they also knocked Latvia out of last year's EuroBasket in Spain to advance to the quarter-final qualifying round.

"Yes, it is true we beat Latvia in the EuroBasket, but we have to think that we faced them on different occasions and we had difficult games," Evora said to Basketball World News.

"They are a tough opponent to play against.

"They are a good squad, but I'm not sure if they will stay with the same players we have been facing lately. They play their characteristic game, which is based on fast counter-attacks."

Last summer's Latvia team included Golden State Warriors center Andris Biedrins and Barons Riga point guard Armands Skele.

Evora, a 30-year-old center, may be familiar with Latvia and Macedonia, but he doesn't know too much about Estonia.

The Estonians did very well last summer in the additional qualifying tournament but missed out on the EuroBasket in the end.

"I do not remember if I have ever faced Estonia," Evora said. "I do not know Estonia very well, but I believe they might be an experienced team."

Two years ago, Portugal started their qualifying campaign with a 3-0 record before they were beaten 83-63 at Macedonia.

Elvis appeared in Skopje and contributed with only five points, while Macedonian veteran Vrbica Stepanov inspired his team by pouring in 19 points to lead Macedonia.

Stepanov, however, is thought to have retired from the international game.

"Yes, we won at home and lost away against them," Evora said. "Their team at the time had some veterans, I do not know if they remain there or not. It was an even contest".

Portugal recently appointed Spanish coach Moncho Lopez as a replacement for Victor Melnychuk, and Elvis is impressed with Lopez so far.

"I have been reading some interviews with him and I will be delighted to meet and start working with him," Evora said. "He seems to be a very confident person.

"Our team has to keep working as hard as we have been doing in recent years. We believed last year we could qualify, why should not we believe we can do it again? We just have to believe in ourselves.

"The Portuguese players have improved in the recent years, and we cannot use as an excuse that we are shorter than our opponents.

"We have to keep fighting. It is a difficult draw, but we can make it. All four teams have quality in them, I believe."

The group winners will advance to Poland, along with the three best second-place teams.

"We cannot be focused on being one of the best second teams and wait for the qualification," Evora said. "We want to be the top team".
              Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
              Artificial Nature

Comment

Italy coach Carlo Recalcati is no closer to knowing if his American-based trio of Andrea Bargnani, Marco Belinelli and Daniel Hackett will be able to play this summer after crossing the Atlantic to visit with each.

The Italians are in Group A of Division A with Serbia, Hungary, Bulgaria and Finland, and each of the four group winners and the best second-place teams will reach EuroBasket 2009 in Poland.

And Recalcati wants second-year Toronto Raptor Bargnani, Golden State Warrior Belinelli and USC Trojan Hackett to be in the mix.

"I am happy because of how I found them," Recalcati said.

"Beli is happy in the NBA even if he plays little. He knows that Golden State has refused to trade him, hence they want to invest in him.

"In fact, next summer he will be available for the summer league. Bargnani has a willingness to play for the national team, but at the end of the season he will have to face a personalized athletic and technical program.

"Bryan Colangelo, general manager of Toronto Raptors, has assured me that if Andrea had to say no to the national team, it would only be due to what the club needs or wishes."

Hackett did not play at last year's EuroBasket in Spain because of his commitments at USC, and he may not be able to play this summer for the same reason.

"The future of Hackett in the national team depends on the university programs," Recalcati said.

"His coach Tim Floyd, who has been happy with how Daniel has improved in the last year, has told me that for all the university students, August 25 is when their lessons begin.

"We will see what can be done but to have availability of players, it was already important."

I find the second paragraph of the bolded text simply unbelievable... and unacceptable.
                Artificial Nature

Comment

Nothing new when it comes to NBA teams... as well as some european clubs.

Anyway Italy isn't loosing anything, more the opposite. This way they'll compose an all-round team without anyone thinking he is something more than the rest in the group. Gigli, Basile, Gallinari, Mancinelli, Soragna, Mordente, Bulleri, Marconato... it's a nice group of players, particulary when it comes to defense and bball IQ. The way Bargnani and Belinelli were playing in the last european championship makes me believe Italy is more dangerous without them both...
                  they'll be just fine if everything goes normal from coaching perspective.
                  Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                  That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

This year's EuroBasket 2009 qualifying round games will be hugely important for Turkey as they look to gain valuable experience before hosting the 2010 FIBA World Championship.

The country's rising star, Ersan Ilyasova, is desperate for his team to build some momentum ahead of that big event.

"We'll try to get there (Poland) next year," said Ilyasova, who turns 21 on May 15, to FIBA Europe.

"It's very important for us. I will play this summer. We'll have tough qualifying games against France and the other teams (Ukraine and Belgium)."

The Turks advanced to the quarter-final qualifying round of last year's EuroBasket under Bogdan Tanjevic but never hit their stride and made an early exit from the competition.

"The last EuroBasket wasn't successful for us," Ilyasova said. "We won just two of eight games.

"The World Championship will be in Turkey so we need to qualify (for the next EuroBasket) to get ready for that. We'll see."

Turkey have one of the youngest teams in Europe but one that has a lot of promise.

Ilyasova, who left the Milwaukee Bucks last summer to play for Barcelona, in Spain, is hoping to be a better player this summer after logging an average of 14 minutes per game in the ACB.

"I like my teammates in Spain," he said. "The organisation is unbelievable and it's very close to the NBA."
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

Italy star Andrea Bargnani will not play for his country this season when the Azzurri attempt to qualify for EuroBasket 2009 in Poland.

National team coach Carlo Recalcati has given up on the seven-footer with Bargnani facing a hard summer of training to prepare for his third NBA campaign with the Toronto Raptors.

"There is nothing new with respect to when I travelled to the United States in the winter," Recalcati said.

"Officially, (Toronto general manager Bryan) Colangelo has not said Bargnani will not be available. However, he has communicated to us Andrea's summer program which coincides with the qualifying round."

Bargnani had a solid rookie season and played well at times in the 2007-08 campaign as Toronto advanced to the Eastern Conference play-offs.

Despite his presence at last year's EuroBasket, the Italians failed to progress to the quarter-finals, ending their chances of playing at the Olympics and forcing them to go through a difficult Division A campaign.

They will take on Serbia, Hungary, Bulgaria and Finland in the qualifying games for the EuroBasket.

Recalcati is almost certain to be without Italy's other young NBA player, Marco Belinelli.

If the Italians are to reach the EuroBasket, they will have to do so with the core of veterans who have played for the country in recent campaigns along with youngsters from Lega A.

Recalcati is hoping that one of the newcomers will be 19-year-old Danilo Gallinari of Armani Jeans Milano, a player who has declared as an early entry candidate for the NBA draft.

Gallinari was in last year's squad but an injury prevented him from playing in Spain.
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

anyway, Gallinari told he would come, he said that his franchise will have to accept that. He's showing some character, this is great.
                        It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Originally posted by damelo
                          anyway, Gallinari told he would come, he said that his franchise will have to accept that. He's showing some character, this is great.
                          Definitely, more should be like him.
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

Without bragging and no intention too.. but we should pass this qualif' easily..
                            I mean... yeah England got Ben and Dang.. but they are only 2.. the others are an average players.. while Israel this year is very very strong.

Comment

Honestly, England would frighten me if France would play them with an uncomplete roster. I mean, just Deng brought them menace where they needed the most, at the SF post, and second need is SG, which Ben Gordon will take. With Archibald and Betts, they have two players of top European level with big size under the basket. And most of their guy play in top teams from Belgian league, which is not very impressive, but not to take to easy anyway.

Last year, two first games without Deng: lost by 20+. All games with Deng: win by 30 generally. Difference was enormous, and if Gordon comes with the same seriousness Deng brought, they are real contenders and shall make it to the World championships.
                              It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Finnish NT camp roster and practise games:

Samuel Haanpää, Valparaiso
                                Shawn Huff, free agent (last year Valparaiso)
                                Tuomas Iisalo, Kouvot Kouvola
                                Mikko Koivisto, UNC-Greensboro
                                Petteri Koponen, Honka/Playboys Espoo
                                Tuukka Kotti, free agent (last year Rieti)
                                Sami Lehtoranta, Kataja Joensuu
                                Jukka Matinen, Honka/Playboys Espoo
                                Kimmo Muurinen, Honka/Playboys Espoo
                                Ville Mäkäläinen, free agent (most likely Tartu Rock)
                                Hanno Möttölä, free agent (last year Aris)
                                Antti Nikkilä, free agent (last year Dinamo Banco di Sardegna Sassari)
                                Teemu Rannikko, BC Himki
                                Juha Sten, Solna Vikings
                                Aki Ulander, free agent (last year Lappeenranta)
                                Petri Virtanen, Kataja Joensuu

if injuries, the following players might join (all are young players, investments for the future):

Petri Heinonen, Honka/Playboys Espoo
                                Antti Kanervo, Kouvot Kouvola
                                Vesa Mäkäläinen, Namika Lahti
                                Anselmi Vanjoki, free agent

Koponen is in NBA summer league still at 20.07 and who knows what happens after that. The first practice game must be too early for him. If Rannikko is playing, we have an ok rotation for 1 and 2 with Virtanen and Sten - Rannikko for leading the team, Virtanen for shooting, Sten for defence tasks. Without both Rannikko and Koponen, just forget it.

Centers are at best... a positive surprise. Möttölä at least has skills to play at this level, but Nikkilä and finally Ulander are just big bodies with not too much knowledge or skills to manage anything too complicated. Tuukka Kotti is a bit smaller guy but in fact the secret weapon at that position - the few times he got good minutes and wasn't injured in Rieti, he played (according to statistics) quite nicely. In wings Jukka Matinen is a poor man's Siskauskas, Muurinen hustles _a lot_ & brings energy, and finally Shawn Huff brings some athleticism and speed otherwise lacking among our bigger players - in last year he was the biggest surprise of the team. I expect him to play in some ULEBcup level team in the forthcoming year.

The team spirit is very positive, as after a long and difficult period the team is finally playing in decent international level. These quys certainly want to show their skills. Even Möttölä probably comes out better than usually, for it begins to be his last chance to achieve something in the NT (he was already in the EU95 squad).

The team is coached by Henrik Dettmann, remembered well from his time coaching German NT. I have no idea if he really is a genius or a something else. Apparently he is very good in creating a team spirit.

And the practice games are:

27.07 Lithuania – Finland, Vilnius
                                09.08 Finland - Ukraine, Vantaa
                                10.08 Finland - Ukraine, Vantaa
                                14.-17.08 Intl. tournament in Strasbourg
                                15.08 France - Finland
                                16.08 Finland - Latvia
                                27.08 Czech - Finland

Finland is the lucky one here: no wasted time playing against weaker teams. We might lose some games horribly - especially the first one - but by the time of the qualification games the whole team will know what is required to play games at this level.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information