Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Pau Gasol the new Top Ranked EuroLoser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's how people were talking about Nowitzki after the mavs collapsed against the Heat and the Warriors...
    "Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling."

Comment

the next CHRIS WEBBER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Achinet
        No, Gasol is not a looser. Without him Spain would not be there (incluiding that WC). He is a god player. And i think that a Silver is not so bad.
        Originally posted by Gytaz
        Karl Malone never won an NBA title, does that make him o loser? IMO Gasol is a great player and he'll be more lucky someday.
        Achinet and Gytaz are absolutely correct. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lebowski
          After having been laughing for 10 years with Carlton Myers and his 2nd places with Fortitudo Bologna (one Italian trophy), let's talk about the XXX Millennium "Gonna Be a Loser Forever" Award.

Pau Gasol started his amazing career in 2000-01, when he was pretty unknown and the new ULEB Euroleague carried the performances of Pau everywhere in Europe. Drafted by the Grizzlies, he moved to the NBA the same season. Back to Europe for the 2001 Eurobasket, where he was amazing (17.3 ppg + 9.7 rpg). Anyway, despite the incredible tournament, Spain collapsed in the 3rd quarter of the semis (Gasol 22, only 2 points in the 3rd quarter, when Yugoslavia run away).

In 2003 Spain got more experience and his a tremendous candidate to win the first gold of its history: Gasol is amazing again, this time with excellent % from the court. Spain - after four years - gets the ticket for the 1st place final. Gasol scores 36 (increasing his stats in the last minutes in pure NBA style), Lithuania wins an easily game.

Olympic Games 2004, Spain faces USA in quarters: Spain is 5-0, USA 3-2. Sincerely, Gasol hasn't been the responsible of the Spanish's Waterloo (everyone can remember the 5/18 of Navarro). 29 points, 9/17 fg and 11/11 ft.

Gasol misses the Eurobasket 2005 and the final game of the WC 2006 (because he's probably unlucky too: he played only one final in his career, losing it, and he missed this one. Unfortunately for Greece, I add...).

Eurobasket, 2007: Gasol has 3/8 ft in the last 3'30", and Spain lost by one point. Despite the rebounds (14), Gasol had 3/12 2p, 1/1 3p, and 5/12 ft. He has also been very unlucky with the last shot (personally when the ball left his hands, I saw it in the ring), but "luck" sometimes is an award.

Despite his nice career in the NBA (18.8 ppg, 8.6 rpg), one appearence in the All Star Game, Gasol has never reached the 2nd round of the playoff. No, not only that: this is the personal record of Pau Gasol in the NBA post-season: 0-12. One of the best players of the NBA has never won a single playoff game in six years.
          Why is a gap between 2005 and 2007???????? This post is really silly, my friend and spanish hater.

Comment

you re a looser if you have constantly the best team or one of the best, and you never win.

karl malone didn t win any titles, because objectively he never had the best team. You can blame him of never overachieving, but he s not a loser.

Gasol is no looser, because he has a crappy NBA team, and in spain his only bad tournament was this one, where spain still failed, although everything was on it s side. One tournament though isn t enough to call anybody a loser.

Navarro on the other hand is to my mind the symbol of the loser. He was in a very competitive EL team ( always F4 caliber) and failed miserably either by finishing 4th in the f4s either by not even qualifying Can t even get a cup in the domestic leagues

In the national team, he failed miserably in 2005 losing by germany and by france by 25 , desapeared in the 2006 WC semifinal agaisnt argentina.
            Cherry on the cake were yesterdays 0 points in the final.

Only fluke was the 2006 WC final against greece, where he wasn t terrific since he scored a lot of his points in the second half when the game was already decided by garbajosa, but hey at least he scored some points!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain CAAAVEMAAAAANNN!!
              What do you mean with loser? A player that lose many games? But you always lose at least one game in tournaments, unless you always take the trophy. How do you call those players that didn’t even make the final? Is NBA finals MVP Tony Parker a looser? Jasikevicius? Papaloukas? Diamantidis?

Dont put jasikevicius here, both spain and russian had 2 days to rest while the liths had 20 hrs and greeks had 16 hrs. Lithuania played every game hard and got exhausted and instead of being rewarded for good play, they got a penalty at the end and couldnt recover. Respect to russia, but if we had 2 days to rest, liths wouldve taken gold, no question about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Domce
                Respect to russia, but if we had 2 days to rest, liths wouldve taken gold, no question about it.
                This is in the realm "what if...". And if a question finds itself in this realm there is no definite answer to it. You hope that would've won, I hope as well, but we don't know and we would never know.
                As for Pau being the biggest loser, I doubt whether there are grounds to be so harsh on him. Yes, maybe some of his games were mediocre compared to high expectations, but you cannot transfer all the blame for the final result onto his shoulders alone. Everyone has to share the blame - Pepu, Navarro, Calderon, Rudy, media hype etc etc. It was not a game (like all other Pau's games) that could have one alone and lost. It was the team that lost it. And it would have been the team to win it.
                "I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence." Doug McLeod

Comment

Originally posted by Domce
                  Dont put jasikevicius here, both spain and russian had 2 days to rest while the liths had 20 hrs and greeks had 16 hrs. Lithuania played every game hard and got exhausted and instead of being rewarded for good play, they got a penalty at the end and couldnt recover. Respect to russia, but if we had 2 days to rest, liths wouldve taken gold, no question about it.
                  Well, you would be tired for the final also, because the semifinals and the final were played in consecutive days and you seem to get tired very easily. So most likely Spain would smash the Liths as they did consecutively in the two games played prior to this Eurobasket.

Comment

Well, you would be tired for the final also, because the semifinals and the final were played in consecutive days and you seem to get tired very easily. So most likely Spain would smash the Liths as they did consecutively in the two games played prior to this Eurobasket.
                    Ofcourse. Just sometimes people need brain to understand what is preparation games.
                    But there is truth - for this arogance Your team players cryed in final.
                    In the end Spain was the same as in friendly games before Eurobasket while other teams developed a lot. To my opinion Spain would be crashed in final by Lithuania.
                    I always thought and wrote in this forum a lot of times even before competition that Spain wont be champion. Also I must admit that I didnt thought that it will be Russia and before the final I was already thinking that Spain will win and wont miss a chance..
                    But as we see...
                    In the end its silly - you have two lost in eurobasket and saying how You will be crushing other teams. Open Your eyes dude mayb You missed final

Comment

My Dream Team of losers:

Coach:

Aito Reneses

PG: Jaka Lakovic
                      SG: Carlton Myers
                      SF: ???
                      PF: Ryan Stik
                      C: Pau Gasol

Originally posted by parso
                      Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
                      Originally posted by sseppel
                      it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
                      Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
                      Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

Originally posted by ArkadiosV2
                        My Dream Team of losers:

Coach:

Aito Reneses

SF: ???....... Predrag Stojakovic (he has two gold medals but only because when the game was on the line he was surrounded with great teammates and coaches. But he NEVER produced in the final minutes of the game)
                        sf: Predrag Stojakovic (he has two gold medals but only because when the game was on the line he was surrounded with great teammates and coaches. But he NEVER produced in the final minutes of the game)

And there has to be a place for JC Navarro. In my eyes he is twice the looser Gasol is. And I think Divac and Paspalj are not natural winners also, but they had the luck of playing with a extraordinary team.

Comment

Originally posted by kololoco
                          sf: Predrag Stojakovic (he has two gold medals but only because when the game was on the line he was surrounded with great teammates and coaches. But he NEVER produced in the final minutes of the game)

And there has to be a place for JC Navarro. In my eyes he is twice the looser Gasol is. And I think Divac and Paspalj are not natural winners also, but they had the luck of playing with a extraordinary team.
                          Divac and Navarro?? they must be losers because they have won nothing. Except for the ACB, the Copa del Rey, the Korac Cup, the Euro Kadet Championship, the Euro Junior Championship, the World Junior Championship, the Yugoslavian Cup, the Supercup, the Eurobasket, the World Championship and the Euroleague. But, apart from that, they are total and complete losers.

and who is a winner for you, guys? I'm curious, really.
                          Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 09-18-2007, 09:25 AM.

Comment

and who is a winner for you, guys? I'm curious, really.
                            If I play in a team with Bodiroga, Djordjevic, Danilovic, Kukoc, Radja, Petrovic and win everything does that make me a winner? I am making my judgement on the passion and heart the player shows in the finals games and the final inutes of close games. They are all great players that played in great teams and therefore won stuff but that also has to do with luck and the quality to play in major teams and win titles. Jasikevicius, Papaloukas, Bodiroga, Djordjevic, Danilovic, Garbajosa are all players that took their play up when the game is on the line.

Comment

Gasol is one of the best players I have ever seen playing. And even the best are entitled to bad days and good days.

No matter how good you are, the ball remains round and bouncing guys.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkadiosV2
                                My Dream Team of losers:

Coach:

Aito Reneses

SF: ???
                                how about Arturas Karnisovas?
                                Your time is up my time is now,
                                you can't see me my time is now...

"Basketball is like the church. Many attend it, but few understand it"

If u smell what the G.L. is cookin'...

The Demon of Greek loby is here!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information