Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Pau Gasol the new Top Ranked EuroLoser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Pau Gasol the new Top Ranked EuroLoser?

After having been laughing for 10 years with Carlton Myers and his 2nd places with Fortitudo Bologna (one Italian trophy), let's talk about the XXX Millennium "Gonna Be a Loser Forever" Award.

Pau Gasol started his amazing career in 2000-01, when he was pretty unknown and the new ULEB Euroleague carried the performances of Pau everywhere in Europe. Drafted by the Grizzlies, he moved to the NBA the same season. Back to Europe for the 2001 Eurobasket, where he was amazing (17.3 ppg + 9.7 rpg). Anyway, despite the incredible tournament, Spain collapsed in the 3rd quarter of the semis (Gasol 22, only 2 points in the 3rd quarter, when Yugoslavia run away).

In 2003 Spain got more experience and his a tremendous candidate to win the first gold of its history: Gasol is amazing again, this time with excellent % from the court. Spain - after four years - gets the ticket for the 1st place final. Gasol scores 36 (increasing his stats in the last minutes in pure NBA style), Lithuania wins an easily game.

Olympic Games 2004, Spain faces USA in quarters: Spain is 5-0, USA 3-2. Sincerely, Gasol hasn't been the responsible of the Spanish's Waterloo (everyone can remember the 5/18 of Navarro). 29 points, 9/17 fg and 11/11 ft.

Gasol misses the Eurobasket 2005 and the final game of the WC 2006 (because he's probably unlucky too: he played only one final in his career, losing it, and he missed this one. Unfortunately for Greece, I add...).

Eurobasket, 2007: Gasol has 3/8 ft in the last 3'30", and Spain lost by one point. Despite the rebounds (14), Gasol had 3/12 2p, 1/1 3p, and 5/12 ft. He has also been very unlucky with the last shot (personally when the ball left his hands, I saw it in the ring), but "luck" sometimes is an award.

Despite his nice career in the NBA (18.8 ppg, 8.6 rpg), one appearence in the All Star Game, Gasol has never reached the 2nd round of the playoff. No, not only that: this is the personal record of Pau Gasol in the NBA post-season: 0-12. One of the best players of the NBA has never won a single playoff game in six years.
    Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος Περιστερίου

He is a great player. Not the biggest winner in European basketball history though, that's for sure...

Comment

Karl Malone never won an NBA title, does that make him a loser? IMO Gasol is a great player and he'll be more lucky someday.
      Last edited by Gytaz; 09-17-2007, 04:48 PM.

Comment

He is a loser, but in my opinion the wons who should share the burden of loss with him are Calderon and his dissapearence in the second half and JC Navarro and his 0 points. Unfortunatelly the Spanish team is the team that has most great players-losers in one place maybe even in history.

Comment

No, Gasol is not a looser. Without him Spain would not be there (incluiding that WC). He is a god player. And i think that a Silver is not so bad.

Comment

There are concerns about this issue, that's for sure, but

Originally posted by kololoco
            Unfortunatelly the Spanish team is the team that has most great players-losers in one place maybe even in history.
            I wish we always had so many losers and kept winning World Championship titles.

Comment

Spain is still World Champion and a silver medal in European Championship is not bad.
              Gasol is an important player of a team and you have to judge a team not a player.
              I like Gasol and Bargnani ,for example,cannot be compared.
              http://www.fortitudobologna.it/

Faber quisquis fortitudinis suae.

Comment

Originally posted by Gytaz
                Karl Malone never won an NBA title, does that make him o loser? IMO Gasol is a great player and he'll be more lucky someday.
                i think he said he will retire after the olympics... so... i dont think he got another chance

Comment

Originally posted by Genjuro
                  There are concerns about this issue, that's for sure, but

I wish we always had so many losers and kept winning World Championship titles.
                  This is a great spanish generation with the talent to win gold medals. But it is difficult to win a gold medal on every tournament. Without the gold medal at the WC last year i would call them all a losergeneration, but with that gold medal there they have shown that they can win titels and not only take 2. and 3. places. 2nd and 3rd places are also a big achievment in my opinion. But the 2nd placey yesterday was not a real succes for Spain. If they have won yesterday this generation would have almost everything a couple of medals and 2 titels with the goal to get a medal at the olympics 08 and then start with some new players in 09 for other great victories.

But it is difficult to copy serbian team from 95. But still Spain was one of the main power in the last years and perhaps the most constant team. In the last 5 EC the team was in 1/2 final (3 2nd places 1 3rd and 1 4th place). Great results in my opinion, but without a title in the last 5 EC there will be always some people who will call them losers.

And i am sure you will get over it, that your team lost yesterday. A EC is every 2 years and to win a WC is much more difficult and a bigger succes in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lebowski
                    After having been laughing for 10 years with Carlton Myers and his 2nd places with Fortitudo Bologna (one Italian trophy), let's talk about the XXX Millennium "Gonna Be a Loser Forever" Award.

Pau Gasol started his amazing career in 2000-01, when he was pretty unknown and the new ULEB Euroleague carried the performances of Pau everywhere in Europe. Drafted by the Grizzlies, he moved to the NBA the same season. Back to Europe for the 2001 Eurobasket, where he was amazing (17.3 ppg + 9.7 rpg). Anyway, despite the incredible tournament, Spain collapsed in the 3rd quarter of the semis (Gasol 22, only 2 points in the 3rd quarter, when Yugoslavia run away).

In 2003 Spain got more experience and his a tremendous candidate to win the first gold of its history: Gasol is amazing again, this time with excellent % from the court. Spain - after four years - gets the ticket for the 1st place final. Gasol scores 36 (increasing his stats in the last minutes in pure NBA style), Lithuania wins an easily game.

Olympic Games 2004, Spain faces USA in quarters: Spain is 5-0, USA 3-2. Sincerely, Gasol hasn't been the responsible of the Spanish's Waterloo (everyone can remember the 5/18 of Navarro). 29 points, 9/17 fg and 11/11 ft.

Gasol misses the Eurobasket 2005 and the final game of the WC 2006 (because he's probably unlucky too: he played only one final in his career, losing it, and he missed this one. Unfortunately for Greece, I add...).

Eurobasket, 2007: Gasol has 3/8 ft in the last 3'30", and Spain lost by one point. Despite the rebounds (14), Gasol had 3/12 2p, 1/1 3p, and 5/12 ft. He has also been very unlucky with the last shot (personally when the ball left his hands, I saw it in the ring), but "luck" sometimes is an award.

Despite his nice career in the NBA (18.8 ppg, 8.6 rpg), one appearence in the All Star Game, Gasol has never reached the 2nd round of the playoff. No, not only that: this is the personal record of Pau Gasol in the NBA post-season: 0-12. One of the best players of the NBA has never won a single playoff game in six years.
                    Well, Gasol has had a pretty succesful career to date.
                    Won the Eurobasket Junior Championship and the Albert Schweizert trophy in 1998, then won the Junior World Championship in 1999, joined the ACB league, won it in 1999, and then again in 2000, named playoff MVP. won the King’s Cup with Barcelona, designed again MVP. Bronze medalist in Eurobasket 2001, then drafted by the NBA, ROY for the 2001-2002 season, has enjoyed a succesful career in the NBA so far, he took one of the worst franchises and led them to three consecutive playoff appeareances, wich earned him an All Star place, in the meantime won the silver medal in the Eurobasket 2005, then he became World Champion in 2006, being the MVP of the competition and yesterday he took the Eurobasket Silver Medal.

Not bad, uh?

Comment

No! Sorry but every player is entitled to a bad game and Pau had his yesterday. Even the great Bodiroga had one against Maccabi in Thessaloniki.

Pau is a champion player.
                      Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
                      Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

Comment

But it is difficult to copy serbian team from 95.
                        Given the context of an increased international level and the existence of very tough concurrence before even the quaterfinals Id say it is obviously almost impossible for a team to win it all today lets say 3 times in a row. The off topic here is going to close by me saying that I surely consider that Serbian team to be superior than any of the actual ones. But Im not basing my judgement on results. Im doing it rather on the players quality and charisma.

I disagree that the Spanish players are total losers, although I have stated the opposite just for fun. But if the fact that they are very gifted players is not questionable, their bad results and performances when they are under pressure remains. I can think of 2002 against Germany, 2004 against the States and yesterday. Of course the Silver medal is a huge achievement objectively, but the truth is that this Spanish team with the homecourt advantage and enjoying a full roster should have won it rather easily considering their opponents problems and misfortune. All in all, they are not losers, but not big winners either.

The WC last year they totally deserved. They played great and won. It doesnt however change the fact that the loss of Gasol was undoubtedly a factor that helped them get over the final's huge pressure. That together with Greece's absence gave them the title easily.(emphasis on easily:they had serious chances anyway)

At the end, we have a team that plays better with its leader(2005 is the best exemple), but that in a paradoxal way can not win a final with him. It is therefore legitimate to claim that there is a serious issue here related to a team that is arguably the most successful of the 2000's.

Comment

Originally posted by EverGreen
                          No! Sorry but every player is entitled to a bad game and Pau had his yesterday. Even the great Bodiroga had one against Maccabi in Thessaloniki.

Pau is a champion player.
                          true... you score- than you're a hero, you miss- you're supposed to be a looser, there is a really thin line between scoring and missing and most players have more luck than guts in those cases. The whole thing is too complex to sortify players as Pau into looser-winner cathegory...
                          Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                          That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

What do you mean with loser? A player that lose many games? But you always lose at least one game in tournaments, unless you always take the trophy. How do you call those players that didn’t even make the final? Is NBA finals MVP Tony Parker a looser? Jasikevicius? Papaloukas? Diamantidis?

Comment

And Gasol is certainly not the kind of player that shies of the ball when things get ugly. Yesterday, even if the shots weren't really falling in, he carried the team over his shoulders and gave his all to get the job done. On the last five minutes, Gasol scored seven points. All the Russian players combined scored eight.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information