Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Is Pau Gasol the new Top Ranked EuroLoser?

  1. #1

    Default Is Pau Gasol the new Top Ranked EuroLoser?

    After having been laughing for 10 years with Carlton Myers and his 2nd places with Fortitudo Bologna (one Italian trophy), let's talk about the XXX Millennium "Gonna Be a Loser Forever" Award.

    Pau Gasol started his amazing career in 2000-01, when he was pretty unknown and the new ULEB Euroleague carried the performances of Pau everywhere in Europe. Drafted by the Grizzlies, he moved to the NBA the same season. Back to Europe for the 2001 Eurobasket, where he was amazing (17.3 ppg + 9.7 rpg). Anyway, despite the incredible tournament, Spain collapsed in the 3rd quarter of the semis (Gasol 22, only 2 points in the 3rd quarter, when Yugoslavia run away).

    In 2003 Spain got more experience and his a tremendous candidate to win the first gold of its history: Gasol is amazing again, this time with excellent % from the court. Spain - after four years - gets the ticket for the 1st place final. Gasol scores 36 (increasing his stats in the last minutes in pure NBA style), Lithuania wins an easily game.

    Olympic Games 2004, Spain faces USA in quarters: Spain is 5-0, USA 3-2. Sincerely, Gasol hasn't been the responsible of the Spanish's Waterloo (everyone can remember the 5/18 of Navarro). 29 points, 9/17 fg and 11/11 ft.

    Gasol misses the Eurobasket 2005 and the final game of the WC 2006 (because he's probably unlucky too: he played only one final in his career, losing it, and he missed this one. Unfortunately for Greece, I add...).

    Eurobasket, 2007: Gasol has 3/8 ft in the last 3'30", and Spain lost by one point. Despite the rebounds (14), Gasol had 3/12 2p, 1/1 3p, and 5/12 ft. He has also been very unlucky with the last shot (personally when the ball left his hands, I saw it in the ring), but "luck" sometimes is an award.

    Despite his nice career in the NBA (18.8 ppg, 8.6 rpg), one appearence in the All Star Game, Gasol has never reached the 2nd round of the playoff. No, not only that: this is the personal record of Pau Gasol in the NBA post-season: 0-12. One of the best players of the NBA has never won a single playoff game in six years.
    Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος Περιστερίου

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Paris - Athens
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    He is a great player. Not the biggest winner in European basketball history though, that's for sure...

  3. #3
    Senior Member Gytaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    1,614
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Karl Malone never won an NBA title, does that make him a loser? IMO Gasol is a great player and he'll be more lucky someday.
    Last edited by Gytaz; 09-17-2007 at 04:48 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    161

    Default

    He is a loser, but in my opinion the wons who should share the burden of loss with him are Calderon and his dissapearence in the second half and JC Navarro and his 0 points. Unfortunatelly the Spanish team is the team that has most great players-losers in one place maybe even in history.

  5. #5
    Senior Member achinet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tenerife
    Posts
    552

    Default

    No, Gasol is not a looser. Without him Spain would not be there (incluiding that WC). He is a god player. And i think that a Silver is not so bad.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    469

    Default

    There are concerns about this issue, that's for sure, but

    Quote Originally Posted by kololoco
    Unfortunatelly the Spanish team is the team that has most great players-losers in one place maybe even in history.
    I wish we always had so many losers and kept winning World Championship titles.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Fortitudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bologna
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Spain is still World Champion and a silver medal in European Championship is not bad.
    Gasol is an important player of a team and you have to judge a team not a player.
    I like Gasol and Bargnani ,for example,cannot be compared.

  8. #8
    Senior Member reignman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gytaz
    Karl Malone never won an NBA title, does that make him o loser? IMO Gasol is a great player and he'll be more lucky someday.
    i think he said he will retire after the olympics... so... i dont think he got another chance

  9. #9
    Senior Member Buducnost PG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mal hier mal da, tralala
    Posts
    2,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genjuro
    There are concerns about this issue, that's for sure, but


    I wish we always had so many losers and kept winning World Championship titles.
    This is a great spanish generation with the talent to win gold medals. But it is difficult to win a gold medal on every tournament. Without the gold medal at the WC last year i would call them all a losergeneration, but with that gold medal there they have shown that they can win titels and not only take 2. and 3. places. 2nd and 3rd places are also a big achievment in my opinion. But the 2nd placey yesterday was not a real succes for Spain. If they have won yesterday this generation would have almost everything a couple of medals and 2 titels with the goal to get a medal at the olympics 08 and then start with some new players in 09 for other great victories.

    But it is difficult to copy serbian team from 95. But still Spain was one of the main power in the last years and perhaps the most constant team. In the last 5 EC the team was in 1/2 final (3 2nd places 1 3rd and 1 4th place). Great results in my opinion, but without a title in the last 5 EC there will be always some people who will call them losers.

    And i am sure you will get over it, that your team lost yesterday. A EC is every 2 years and to win a WC is much more difficult and a bigger succes in my opinion.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Captain CAAAVEMAAAAANNN!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canary Islands
    Posts
    620
    Country: Tenerife

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
    After having been laughing for 10 years with Carlton Myers and his 2nd places with Fortitudo Bologna (one Italian trophy), let's talk about the XXX Millennium "Gonna Be a Loser Forever" Award.

    Pau Gasol started his amazing career in 2000-01, when he was pretty unknown and the new ULEB Euroleague carried the performances of Pau everywhere in Europe. Drafted by the Grizzlies, he moved to the NBA the same season. Back to Europe for the 2001 Eurobasket, where he was amazing (17.3 ppg + 9.7 rpg). Anyway, despite the incredible tournament, Spain collapsed in the 3rd quarter of the semis (Gasol 22, only 2 points in the 3rd quarter, when Yugoslavia run away).

    In 2003 Spain got more experience and his a tremendous candidate to win the first gold of its history: Gasol is amazing again, this time with excellent % from the court. Spain - after four years - gets the ticket for the 1st place final. Gasol scores 36 (increasing his stats in the last minutes in pure NBA style), Lithuania wins an easily game.

    Olympic Games 2004, Spain faces USA in quarters: Spain is 5-0, USA 3-2. Sincerely, Gasol hasn't been the responsible of the Spanish's Waterloo (everyone can remember the 5/18 of Navarro). 29 points, 9/17 fg and 11/11 ft.

    Gasol misses the Eurobasket 2005 and the final game of the WC 2006 (because he's probably unlucky too: he played only one final in his career, losing it, and he missed this one. Unfortunately for Greece, I add...).

    Eurobasket, 2007: Gasol has 3/8 ft in the last 3'30", and Spain lost by one point. Despite the rebounds (14), Gasol had 3/12 2p, 1/1 3p, and 5/12 ft. He has also been very unlucky with the last shot (personally when the ball left his hands, I saw it in the ring), but "luck" sometimes is an award.

    Despite his nice career in the NBA (18.8 ppg, 8.6 rpg), one appearence in the All Star Game, Gasol has never reached the 2nd round of the playoff. No, not only that: this is the personal record of Pau Gasol in the NBA post-season: 0-12. One of the best players of the NBA has never won a single playoff game in six years.
    Well, Gasol has had a pretty succesful career to date.
    Won the Eurobasket Junior Championship and the Albert Schweizert trophy in 1998, then won the Junior World Championship in 1999, joined the ACB league, won it in 1999, and then again in 2000, named playoff MVP. won the King’s Cup with Barcelona, designed again MVP. Bronze medalist in Eurobasket 2001, then drafted by the NBA, ROY for the 2001-2002 season, has enjoyed a succesful career in the NBA so far, he took one of the worst franchises and led them to three consecutive playoff appeareances, wich earned him an All Star place, in the meantime won the silver medal in the Eurobasket 2005, then he became World Champion in 2006, being the MVP of the competition and yesterday he took the Eurobasket Silver Medal.

    Not bad, uh?

  11. #11
    Senior Member EverGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Republic of Panathinaikos
    Posts
    4,329

    Default

    No! Sorry but every player is entitled to a bad game and Pau had his yesterday. Even the great Bodiroga had one against Maccabi in Thessaloniki.

    Pau is a champion player.
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

    Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

    Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

    When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Paris - Athens
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    But it is difficult to copy serbian team from 95.
    Given the context of an increased international level and the existence of very tough concurrence before even the quaterfinals Id say it is obviously almost impossible for a team to win it all today lets say 3 times in a row. The off topic here is going to close by me saying that I surely consider that Serbian team to be superior than any of the actual ones. But Im not basing my judgement on results. Im doing it rather on the players quality and charisma.

    I disagree that the Spanish players are total losers, although I have stated the opposite just for fun. But if the fact that they are very gifted players is not questionable, their bad results and performances when they are under pressure remains. I can think of 2002 against Germany, 2004 against the States and yesterday. Of course the Silver medal is a huge achievement objectively, but the truth is that this Spanish team with the homecourt advantage and enjoying a full roster should have won it rather easily considering their opponents problems and misfortune. All in all, they are not losers, but not big winners either.

    The WC last year they totally deserved. They played great and won. It doesnt however change the fact that the loss of Gasol was undoubtedly a factor that helped them get over the final's huge pressure. That together with Greece's absence gave them the title easily.(emphasis on easily:they had serious chances anyway)

    At the end, we have a team that plays better with its leader(2005 is the best exemple), but that in a paradoxal way can not win a final with him. It is therefore legitimate to claim that there is a serious issue here related to a team that is arguably the most successful of the 2000's.

  13. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    12,734
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EverGreen
    No! Sorry but every player is entitled to a bad game and Pau had his yesterday. Even the great Bodiroga had one against Maccabi in Thessaloniki.

    Pau is a champion player.
    true... you score- than you're a hero, you miss- you're supposed to be a looser, there is a really thin line between scoring and missing and most players have more luck than guts in those cases. The whole thing is too complex to sortify players as Pau into looser-winner cathegory...

  14. #14
    Senior Member Captain CAAAVEMAAAAANNN!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canary Islands
    Posts
    620
    Country: Tenerife

    Default

    What do you mean with loser? A player that lose many games? But you always lose at least one game in tournaments, unless you always take the trophy. How do you call those players that didn’t even make the final? Is NBA finals MVP Tony Parker a looser? Jasikevicius? Papaloukas? Diamantidis?

  15. #15
    Senior Member Captain CAAAVEMAAAAANNN!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canary Islands
    Posts
    620
    Country: Tenerife

    Default

    And Gasol is certainly not the kind of player that shies of the ball when things get ugly. Yesterday, even if the shots weren't really falling in, he carried the team over his shoulders and gave his all to get the job done. On the last five minutes, Gasol scored seven points. All the Russian players combined scored eight.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Fearless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    109

    Default

    that's how people were talking about Nowitzki after the mavs collapsed against the Heat and the Warriors...
    "Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling."

  17. #17
    Senior Member hawke12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    461

    Default

    the next CHRIS WEBBER!!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,152
    Country: Canada

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Achinet
    No, Gasol is not a looser. Without him Spain would not be there (incluiding that WC). He is a god player. And i think that a Silver is not so bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gytaz
    Karl Malone never won an NBA title, does that make him o loser? IMO Gasol is a great player and he'll be more lucky someday.
    Achinet and Gytaz are absolutely correct. 'Nuff said.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
    After having been laughing for 10 years with Carlton Myers and his 2nd places with Fortitudo Bologna (one Italian trophy), let's talk about the XXX Millennium "Gonna Be a Loser Forever" Award.

    Pau Gasol started his amazing career in 2000-01, when he was pretty unknown and the new ULEB Euroleague carried the performances of Pau everywhere in Europe. Drafted by the Grizzlies, he moved to the NBA the same season. Back to Europe for the 2001 Eurobasket, where he was amazing (17.3 ppg + 9.7 rpg). Anyway, despite the incredible tournament, Spain collapsed in the 3rd quarter of the semis (Gasol 22, only 2 points in the 3rd quarter, when Yugoslavia run away).

    In 2003 Spain got more experience and his a tremendous candidate to win the first gold of its history: Gasol is amazing again, this time with excellent % from the court. Spain - after four years - gets the ticket for the 1st place final. Gasol scores 36 (increasing his stats in the last minutes in pure NBA style), Lithuania wins an easily game.

    Olympic Games 2004, Spain faces USA in quarters: Spain is 5-0, USA 3-2. Sincerely, Gasol hasn't been the responsible of the Spanish's Waterloo (everyone can remember the 5/18 of Navarro). 29 points, 9/17 fg and 11/11 ft.

    Gasol misses the Eurobasket 2005 and the final game of the WC 2006 (because he's probably unlucky too: he played only one final in his career, losing it, and he missed this one. Unfortunately for Greece, I add...).

    Eurobasket, 2007: Gasol has 3/8 ft in the last 3'30", and Spain lost by one point. Despite the rebounds (14), Gasol had 3/12 2p, 1/1 3p, and 5/12 ft. He has also been very unlucky with the last shot (personally when the ball left his hands, I saw it in the ring), but "luck" sometimes is an award.

    Despite his nice career in the NBA (18.8 ppg, 8.6 rpg), one appearence in the All Star Game, Gasol has never reached the 2nd round of the playoff. No, not only that: this is the personal record of Pau Gasol in the NBA post-season: 0-12. One of the best players of the NBA has never won a single playoff game in six years.
    Why is a gap between 2005 and 2007???????? This post is really silly, my friend and spanish hater.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Paris - Athens
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    you re a looser if you have constantly the best team or one of the best, and you never win.

    karl malone didn t win any titles, because objectively he never had the best team. You can blame him of never overachieving, but he s not a loser.

    Gasol is no looser, because he has a crappy NBA team, and in spain his only bad tournament was this one, where spain still failed, although everything was on it s side. One tournament though isn t enough to call anybody a loser.

    Navarro on the other hand is to my mind the symbol of the loser. He was in a very competitive EL team ( always F4 caliber) and failed miserably either by finishing 4th in the f4s either by not even qualifying Can t even get a cup in the domestic leagues

    In the national team, he failed miserably in 2005 losing by germany and by france by 25 , desapeared in the 2006 WC semifinal agaisnt argentina.
    Cherry on the cake were yesterdays 0 points in the final.

    Only fluke was the 2006 WC final against greece, where he wasn t terrific since he scored a lot of his points in the second half when the game was already decided by garbajosa, but hey at least he scored some points!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •