EC 2007 summary & impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EC 2007 summary & impressions

Despite all the bullshit that we, fans form every country in europe, say in this forum.... EUROPEAN BASKETBALL IS F****** GREAT

Has been two fantasic weeks!
    See you in the olympics, next year.
    Last edited by rikhardur; 09-16-2007, 11:56 PM.

True. I can't agree more. Amazing tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by elaj
      True. I can't agree more. Amazing tournament.
      until last shot

Comment

tournament itself was good, wish they could give every team a fair chance to play.

Comment

I would say "European basketball is BEST". It's obvious that Eurobasket is most quality basketball competition in the world. But this Eurobasket was insufficient speaking about organization and competition system.
          LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
          Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
          Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

You bet!
            PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

EC 2007 summary & impresions

Well, you know what people say. Teams often immitate the Champ. This time the champ is Russia. A defensive minded Catanacio team. Just like Greece two years ago a defensive oriented team wins the Championship. The best teams in the Euroleague (Pao, CSKA) are also defence oriented.

Offensive (wild shooting) teams will inevitably fall. Why? Simple, cause you will have at least one bad shooting game. When it comes to the knock out games, the pressure is too high and your game will be affected, but your defence can be stable whether you are nervous or not.

Also, I noticed that defensive teams become more dangerous in play offs and offensive teams a lot weaker. Spain and Lithuania's, Croatia, Slovenia's offence struggled in the knock out fase.
              Lithuania's game against Greece was a game for the bronze. So most of the pressure is gone.
              PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Yes, it is. Before the tournament everyone said that there are 10 teams that can beat any other nations. Even Israel and Portugal made two wins! Good job.

Originally posted by parso
                Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
                Originally posted by sseppel
                it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
                Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
                Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

EC 2007 summary & impresions

1. Russia
                  2. Spain
                  3. Lithuania
                  4. Greece
                  5. Germany
                  6. Croatia
                  7. Slovenia
                  8. France

RUSSIA

Well the managed to surprize all by winning it, played great bball and are the deserved champions. Finally a new power rises in europe boosting competition

SPAIN

I still believe they are one of the best teams in the world (arguably the best ), yet they completelly disapointed me with their behaviour, bitching, complaining, whining, diving etc. I lost respect for lots of the players. They are great players but poor characters. Somewhat arrogant also. Losing at home cannot be seen as a success of course. They are making a hobby out of finishing 2nd

LITHUANIA

They probably underachieved and are not completelly satisfied with their 3rd spot. Maybe they deserved more.

GREECE

Played a very bad tournament in general and the 4th spot is probably deserved since they played worse bball than the first 3. Yet imo they should have been in the final (it has been discussed over and over- no reason to expand). They once again demonstrated their ability to comeback from virtually lost games. Mixed feelings: more was expected but according to their performance they should be happy with the 4th place.

GERMANY

I'm really happy for the 5th place and a chance at the olympics. Maybe dirk will keep playing . As always never underestimate dirk's germany.

CROATIA

They probably have mixed feelings since they started the tournament clinching first spot and beating spain. Yet they lost 3 games in a row, so it is probably fair they landed 6th.

SLOVENIA

From the slovenes i expected more. They finish 2nd in the group, playing nice bball, lead the whole game vs greece and finally finish 7th. They shouldn't be content. They showed a slightly better face than previous tournament though

FRANCE

Lol and lol again. Not even reaching the pre-olympic tournament is of course a failure, period.

About the competition:

Probably the worst in recent years. Having to pay for a hotel to buy a ticket, low attendancies due to high prizes, problems with the clocks, an unfair system, a schedule to fit the spanish team, and as Papaloukas and Saras said completelly unfair recarding resting times for different teams. Failure organization-wise, but thrilling games.

Generally i believe that the eurobasket is the strongest and more exciting international tournaments having more quality teams than the WC or the olympics.
                  sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

Decided to merge two thread created more or less about the same issue. No need to have so many threads related to the same subject. Thank you qiangdade for starting a thread dedicated to summarising and giving a general opinion about this year's EC
                    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
                      Decided to merge two thread created more or less about the same issue. No need to have so many threads related to the same subject. Thank you qiangdade for starting a thread dedicated to summarising and giving a general opinion about this year's EC
                      Was about to propose the merge. No reason for many threads. I started the new one mostly cause of the title that should be clearer.
                      sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

Funny thing-
                        Everybody was talking all Euroleague season long on how the scores are low again like in the 90's, tough defensive teams and a 51-50 average score.
                        the trend continued in the Final four semifinal. everybody was dreading from what they will see in the final-two super defensivee teams. Everybody expected the worse.
                        and the result? Super final, 180 pts each and drama down the wire. what do you know, even some quality ball too.
                        and exact same thing happened in this EuroBasket, but the opposite.
                        Wonderful championship, but a final not to remember bball wise.
                        p.s. Gasol is a Loser

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious
                          Just like Greece two years ago a defensive oriented team wins the Championship. The best teams in the Euroleague (Pao, CSKA) are also defence oriented.

Offensive (wild shooting) teams will inevitably fall.
                          this is a very superficial thing to say. ofensive basketball is not nececerally based on wild shooting. Lithuania won four years ago and the win was more convincing than that of Greece or Russia. this year we only lost once (out of 9 games). also one can remember Italy's silver in the world championships after scoring 18/28 triples against Lithuania in the semis. they did fall eventually, but the majority of the deffensive teams have fallen way before them..

imho Russia won purely due to a very good mental preparation and team discipline. their semi was really easy as Lithuania had an awfull start of the game, handfull of key players were seriously tired and out of shape. lot's of factors piled up and Russians won relatively easily. Blatt told that he really didn't know hot to defeat Lithuania, but it appeares all you need is to prepare a really good scenario for your team and then be stable in following it, and stability only comes with mental toughness and extreme levels of discipline, imho. obviously, Lithuania or Spain lacked this kind of stability.

Final in general was really magnifficent, but I believe if those two teams played again, Spain would win by a considerable margain. who could predict that Gasol, the MVP of the Worlds, would miss so many shots in the final quarter? sure, those are empty statements, but this tournament was marked by unpredictability.

in other games I was a bit dissapointed by the Croatian loss to Germany. I hope Croatia will live up to their potential next year (finally). While Germany is simply amazing, their ability to lose the games they can't win and follow that up by beating appearantly stronger teams is a complete mystery, imho..
                          finally, French loss was a deserved one. they lacked spirit and class. overall it's a mixed bag. Russia won due to the typical European play and that's great (although they really did have only three good players and a bunch of roleplayers, which resembles NBA), but Germany suceeded mainly thanks to their one superstar-based gameplan and that's confusing.

I'd give the tournament 8 out of 10

k
                          stop russia

Comment

I won't say teams will be adapting Russias or Grece's style of play. Maybe club teams would do that, but it's harder with National Teams as you cannot buy the players that fit into that system but you have to use the existing ones.
                            Teams didn't change their way of playing when Greeks won, so why should they now?

You have much more clear-cut philosophies in basketball than in football. Italy is that crazy three point shooting team, Lithuanians can shoot and pass, Greeks can defend, so can Russians, Spanish play top defense and have great individual talent, Argentinians have a perfect passing game, Americans want to play fastbreak basketball...
                            "It's not about four guys working to get one player open and give the ball to him."- Ettore Messina

Sanchez, Ginobili, Basile, Kukoc, Sabonis

Comment

Originally posted by kestas
                              Final in general was really magnifficent, but I believe if those two teams played again, Spain would win by a considerable margain.
                              That's meaningless. These are do-or-die tournaments with not sencond opportunities when the elimination rounds come. It was precisely because the do-or-die nature of the game why Spain chocked, so that statement is worthless.

Anyway, about defense winning championships... if we consider Spain an offensive team, they won last year, and Lithuania did it in 2003. I think those are simplyfying statemets. In the end, you need both the offense and the defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information