Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EC 2007 summary & impressions

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAdder
    On the other hand, does it take a lot to admit that you are not the best in organizing things that even 90 percent of your public does not care about?
    feel free to say, we are "master of dissaster" organizing events. it´s true.

P.S. if you like Ribera del duero, I have to make you a proposal (decent, of course). In my cellar I have got some Ribera del Duero cabeza cuba,1982. came to Spain and we will open a bottle (no more, it cost a lot and I don´t like wine)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAdder
    No, your food is amazing, wine as well (aaaa, anything from Ribera del Duero 2000 harvest), country is wonderful, people are amazing, architecture beautiful and diverse, nightlife amazing, club football always a joy to watch, international football - less but exciting, so there are a lot of wonderful things about Spain. Sometimes more than could be said about other countries.
    On the other hand, does it take a lot to admit that you are not the best in organizing things that even 90 percent of your public does not care about? And you're not alone among plenty of Western European countries that could not care less about basketball.
    And having scoreboards to go off twice during the little final is a disgrace to any organizing country, Spain or not Spain. I don't care much about Spanish TV, Lithuanian broadcasting was awful as well.
    Yes, i think that football is eating other sports here, thats the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Javiky
    feel free to say, we are "master of dissaster" organizing events. it´s true.

P.S. if you like Ribera del duero, I have to make you a proposal (decent, of course). In my cellar I have got some Ribera del Duero cabeza cuba,1982. came to Spain and we will open a bottle (no more, it cost a lot and I don´t like wine)
    Man, you've got me there I'll definitely come now
    "I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence." Doug McLeod

here comes the novel

overall game
    I actually believe this was one of the worst EC's in terms of performance of most teams. both semifinals, games for gold and broze improved that image, since some of them were spectacular, but still there was quite a surprising ammount of low quality games during the group phase. Maybee it's because Fiba prolongued the tournament, but I do believe it should stay this way since overall team's performance has bigger effect on the result as in the past and teams are able to survive one or two bad games, which are afterall something normall.
    I think in the next EC it'd be hard to see as underperforming Turkey, Serbia, Italy... while to my belief Montenegro might get there by than adding one more dangerous team to the list.

referee criteria
    don't like the direction of it. Some logical things tend to get complicated in this tournament such as deliberate miss of a free throw (c'mmon, that's a part of the game? right?!), accidental "playing with the leg" (might only be my personal opinion, but to me there is a big difference when someone is playing with the leg deliberately trying to gain advantage, or ball hitting the leg of a player, which didn't even move it, which should be considered solely as the mistake of the guy handling the ball- you can see some referees moving in that direction, but obviously not on this tournament)
    The overall refereeing was poor, not because of that ussual poor Fiba's ref's we've all got used to, but because the criteria went from one extreme to the other in a matter of two games. They imo missed their job by talking it out before the tournament in order for most referees having at least some simmilar criteria. It was especially obvious in the post and it's frustrating, from a game with Italy by allowing only soft game in the paint, followed by a game vs. Poland where beating up was allowed- of course I lost my nerves untill realising it's just the ref criteria, not some sort of bias all fans are looking for actually, that varies too much.

organisation
    I don't want any spaniard to take this personaly, since I don't consider whole nation responsible hellooo!? ...it's the matter of organisers that are responsible for some flaws. Things such as one team having one day more for a rest is a matter of Fiba and yeah it is a bit disturbing, no matter noone will try to be a sore looser pointing it out explicitely. I personaly was really disturbed by the quality of the broadcasts (if I understood it correctly provided by LaSexta), lack of replays, lack of statistics, loads of chicks (I've got some more interesting stuff on TV If I want to watch those) and director of the broadcasts imo deserves a negative grade. I hope Fiba will manage to realise they have to demand some standards on that area, quality of the broadcast might not be everything, but it helps a lot to getting the game closer to the fan, calms down passion as well when clearing out at first sight arguable referee decisions. With all the money Fiba makes from this event they should take care of that and also they should get someone creating aditional content, even if they're not responsible for it (if you only do things up to what you're supposed to do, than sorry), actually loads of that...

Slovenia
    well... hurts... but after some reconsideration, remebering what some people were saying before the tournament about the short bench I can't resent them anything. Even Lebowski can't deny a mediocre Čapin playing 10 minutes per game is better than Lakovič "playing aditional 2 and a half more games" on a whole tournament, with all the pressure since being the only dangerous guard we've had, ending up completely wasted when entering the 4th quarter (not to mention leaving out a week in preparation stages helped either). When you enter the last quarter vs. Greece like that, it's obvious... tiredness, inexperience, along with Greece flying on wings... still some bad luck needed, but nothing miracleous or unlogical. If it was some other team, that excuse would fail... but it was Greece.
    Lakovič really screwed up at some points, but it's a part of the game and I doubt there was really any other player at this tournament that received as much attention and was as tired as Jaka was... so absolutely no harsh feelings on him, only "thank you" for fighting he performed.
    It seems Smodiš wants to retire after olympics as well, so it'll be one of the last chances for the remainings of the "old" generation. Dragič was a nice revelation, one aditional year in Olimpija should make him improve even more and next time I think I can clearly say other teams won't be dealing with only 8 man in rotations when dealing with Slovenia, chemistry might be a question there, but I am an optimist... leaving out Brezec, Bečirovič, Ožbolt, Udrih, Vujačič, Tušek, Joksimovič if anyone would even thing about causing troubles- don't care, as long as we get a calm&nice guy in Nachbar (that imo really shouldn't represent a chemistry problems, he is just too nice of a guy for that) along with workers as Maravič/Milič on SF, one year older Vidmar, Preldžič, D. Lorbek and Klobučar... i'm optimistic for the future

the champion
    I was bashing that "playing with 4 SF's and Holden" mentality, but with Hryapa, Kirilenko, Monya, Morgunov and the likes, that lineup was indeed able to adapt to any offense they've met... just wow...

Ex-Yu
    partially connected with the attendace in Madrid... some people were asking themselves if bball will die in ex-Yu... you've seen the attendance Belgrade was able to put up nevermind their NT dissapointed them in a very very harsh way, meaning: no way bball could die there. It is receiving a hard blow after another in recent period, first in times of Yugoslavia a powerhouse Bosnia copeing with the war, later Slovenia, Croatia, now Serbia going down... results might vary, but especially Croatia and Serbia have too strong of a fundaments for the game to collapse as many would suppose and that's an enormous advantage in front of most countries...
    Croatia might just be going back on track with their young team, nevermind that Germany debacle...

I guess people are so disappointed by organization because they kept hearing that ACB is best organized league in Europe. and expected same from EC.

Quote Originally Posted by achinet
    Yes, i think that football is eating other sports here, thats the problem.
    Well, if football is eating other sports there and you guys still manage to reach finals and win international championships in various sports, guess what's happening in Portugal, football devours everything
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur
    Well, if football is eating other sports there and you guys still manage to reach finals and win international championships in various sports, guess what's happening in Portugal, football devours everything
    Indeed, I edit Lithuanian version of men's lifestyle magazine FHM and we always have a bet whenever a new issue from our Portuguese colleagues arrives - will they have only one feature about football or two In our case it's a different story, we strive to give coverage both to basketball and football events, more funny and emotionally charged in the case of former, and more info oriented and "things-to-do" style in the case of latter.
    "I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence." Doug McLeod

Russia : European champion for the first time
    Spain : Silver medal .....again
    Lithuania : Bronze....for the first time
    Greece: Without Bronze......again

It was exciting tournament with unexpected but deserved winner. We saw some crazy buzzer beaters, passion, tension, acting, fighting, almost everything. I will remember for a long time Slovenia – Greece game, and an amazing comeback – THIS IS SPARTA, lol The last five minutes of that game should be put on tape and shown in all BB schools, just to learn a very important lesson to never give up. Respect Greece. Then top thriller – Greece-Spain, god i was watching this game with my mouth opened the whole time. Lastly, Spain – Russia, seeing is believing, against all odds, for me that was mental victory of Russians over Spain. You are not a Champion until you prove it on the court.

1. i don't get the spectator critque. as far as you saw and read it was more than ok. there were some appearnce mistakes (those white sofas or the working-space) but numbers says fans were coming. i was surprised to see thousnds in israel's group stage games, not too many greeks and serbians, but mostly locals. i realy think crowd-wise it was more than ok.
    2. resting time - just to remind you that last time there were 2 teams resting for 5 straight days in the middle of the championship. basiclly - the exact opposite to what we had this time. spain, btw, was one of them. the teams saw it (then) as a negative schedule. i agree. so they try to change this time. maybe not the best schedule but last time it wasn't better and i don't recall such anger over it. personally - i see the unfairness claim as kinda weak, 2 hours of extra rest when playing back-to-back-to-back games has a meaning but it's not that big as it being disscused here.
    3. refs - way too many fights and wired calls. i think there are 2 reasons for it. the first is the lack of later reaction. the milicic scandel is the obvious example but it's not the only one. no harm is being done if fiba personal watch tapes and decied to fine a player after the game was being played. nba does it (speaking of which - in the nba a player was kicked for the way he was looking at a ref. a player, probably the nicest guy in the league and one of the best players. fiba couldn't eject a player cursing and threating the refs... the nba ref was later taken care of but that's the main difference - give the refs totaly back-up but when they get off the sporting-track handle them personally). second thing, fiba decided not to bring the older generation of refs. barazauskas, jungbrand, pitsilskas, sudek etc. it's not only the quality (belosvic is regareded as a top offical) but the experince and respect these guys get from players and coaches. some one to calm the games were realy needed.

not a word (yet) about b-ball...

Default Now that Eurobasket is over, a big salute to all the posters and their NTs.

Flames and spams aside, agreeing or disagreeing, a salute to all with who we discussed in civilized or not so civilized ways this eurobasket.

It was one of the things that made it a little more tasty after all, just like when we discuss it with our friends and families.

Be well, love the game, and if you can, play it too!

Now let the Euroleague season begin...

Quote Originally Posted by Stardusted
    Flames and spams aside, agreeing or disagreeing, a salute to all with who we discussed in civilized or not so civilized ways this eurobasket.

It was one of the things that made it a little more tasty after all, just like when we discuss it with our friends and families.

Be well, love the game, and if you can, play it too!

I subscribe to that
    Artificial Nature

For the Poruguese friends I would like to say that if their team wins Latvia and Israel with most players being some kind of amateurs, then good things are coming if they can take advantage of some of the young kids they have at their youth teams. As a matter of fact I saw a game of the previous U18 Fibaeurope competition and I really liked Claudio Fonseca although he seemed a bit afraid of physical contact which I could not understand because he has strong body. Why was he not at the men national team?

Quote Originally Posted by Stardusted
    but there's the Erobasket for women before that.. sure, it's "boring" and "irrelevant", but still better than nothing, don't you agree?
    (and all regular suspects are in it, including Greece )

Quote Originally Posted by kestas
    but there's the Erobasket for women before that.. sure, it's "boring" and "irrelevant", but still better than nothing, don't you agree?
    (and all regular suspects are in it, including Greece )
    Talking about that, I was shooting a bit with a girl from a local basketball team yesterday at open courts... I would consider dressing her as a man and taking her to the NT if I was Yannakis. She was that good.

Still, women basketball in greece is way way behind (sadly).

Quote Originally Posted by OSCAR_SCHMIDT
    As a matter of fact I saw a game of the previous U18 Fibaeurope competition and I really liked Claudio Fonseca although he seemed a bit afraid of physical contact which I could not understand because he has strong body. Why was he not at the men national team?
    There were rumours about him being chosen, but the truth is he still very raw to play at senior level, he's just 18 and physically not ready yet.
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by kestas
    but there's the Erobasket for women
    Good mistyping I must say

because of a great achievement of his team, Carlo Recalcati was awarded with a new two year contract..
    wohoo
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Quote Originally Posted by Picek
    because of a great achievement of his team, Carlo Recalcati was awarded with a new two year contract..
    wohoo
    It's beyond me...
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Picek
    wohoo

Well, not exactly. The italian federation renewed the Recalcati contract a couple of months before the Euro Championship (probably thinking we would qualified at least for the pre-olympic tournament)... 2 years @ 800.000 euros...

So, even with the recent failure (the third consecutive after Belgrade '05 and Japan '06), they can't go Recalcati home (because of the high payed contract)... they were blind to give him a new contract before the EC and here in Italy we're ALL angry...

BTW Belinelli just said next year he could not play for the italian NT (and so Bargnani) if his NBA team wants that...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12