Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League

How does this league sustain itself? It looks very similar to MBA but alas, financial constraints closed down the MBA.

While PBA is still the premier Pinoy league, this isn't bad. Given the popularity of basketball in the country, there are many aspiring players and MPBL can absorb some of them. This can also be another ground in developing young local talents especially that some PBA greats seem to have "retired" to this league like Jayjay Helterbrand

I'm just worried about the financial longetivity of the league, though

Quote Originally Posted by Artek View Post
    How does this league sustain itself? It looks very similar to MBA but alas, financial constraints closed down the MBA.

While PBA is still the premier Pinoy league, this isn't bad. Given the popularity of basketball in the country, there are many aspiring players and MPBL can absorb some of them. This can also be another ground in developing young local talents especially that some PBA greats seem to have "retired" to this league like Jayjay Helterbrand

I'm just worried about the financial longetivity of the league, though
    The MBA was a professional league that directly competed with the PBA.

MPBL maintains itself as an amateur league. They keep the costs down by playing three games in one venue (mostly in Metro Manila) and I believe have maximum player salary is Php50K. Teams are mostly supported by LGUs with the help of corporate sponsorhip. If managed the right way, they can sustain it but it would probably best that they lessen the number of teams as most are not competitive anyway. With more teams, the quality of play suffers as most teams fill in their roster spots with old, has-beens or those who are better off playing in inter-village/office tournaments.

Zamboanga was held to 28 points. That's their end score. Is the D really that good or is it a product of something else?

Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    Zamboanga was held to 28 points. That's their end score. Is the D really that good or is it a product of something else?
    28 points for a team that has Santillan, Black and Pasaol.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigdeal View Post

MPBL maintains itself as an amateur league. They keep the costs down by playing three games in one venue (mostly in Metro Manila) and I believe have maximum player salary is Php50K. Teams are mostly supported by LGUs with the help of corporate sponsorhip. If managed the right way, they can sustain it but it would probably best that they lessen the number of teams as most are not competitive anyway. With more teams, the quality of play suffers as most teams fill in their roster spots with old, has-beens or those who are better off playing in inter-village/office tournaments.
    I couldn't agree with you more on this.

Having 31 teams in the MPBL is just too much considering that we already have the PBA, the PBA D-League, & the NBL.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by greenarcher View Post
    28 points for a team that has Santillan, Black and Pasaol.
    Yes yes... unbelievable but effort was there defense was there, its just that these are aspiring pros and they usually make 10 out of ten three pointers in drills
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Other team scored freaking 47 points...

This is not sarcasti, just trying to understand.
    Can you explain how MPBL is considered amateur? Are the players 50K allowance only or is there something I missed? Or is saying we're an amateur league enough to be considered as such?

Even in a very good defensive game 28 points is just too low for a 40 mins. game. both teams can make a new MPBL arena with all the bricks they shot.

can you bet a team will not score more than 50pts. in a game on online betting sites?
    “When we are saying this cannot be accomplished, this cannot be done, then we are short-changing ourselves. My brain, it cannot process failure. It will not process failure. Because if I have to sit there and face myself and tell myself, ‘You’re a failure,’ I think that is worse, that is almost worse than death.”

- Kobe Bryant

Rest in Peace Mamba..

Quote Originally Posted by fadzki View Post
    Even in a very good defensive game 28 points is just too low for a 40 mins. game. both teams can make a new MPBL arena with all the bricks they shot.

can you bet a team will not score more than 50pts. in a game on online betting sites?
    On live game settings nag aadjust yun plus minus...hahah

Thailand basketball league is much much better than this league that is hailed by anti pba fans as phil basketball saver.. level nila is same as.indonesian ibl..

Quote Originally Posted by allmight View Post
    This is not sarcasti, just trying to understand.
    Can you explain how MPBL is considered amateur? Are the players 50K allowance only or is there something I missed? Or is saying we're an amateur league enough to be considered as such?
    The proper term should actually be "semi-pro". By definition, players receive salaries but not high enough to consider playing in the league as a full-time profession. That is why most of their players have other day jobs or are playing in another tournament (Ligang Labas or PBA DLeague) at the same time. Volleyball leagues such as PVL and PSL are also considered as semi-pro.

The term "amateur" best fits the collegiate leagues like the UAAP or NCAA wherein players are full-time students and play for the love of the game and the school without pay. But of course that is not the case

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    On live game settings nag aadjust yun plus minus...hahah

Thailand basketball league is much much better than this league that is hailed by anti pba fans as phil basketball saver.. level nila is same as.indonesian ibl..
    Whoa! Same level as IBL? That can't be. They have the fast and soon the furious will follow him!

Quote Originally Posted by Artek View Post
    That doesn't sound very encouraging coming from your top scorer..

Quote Originally Posted by thebigdeal View Post

Amateur players don;t get paid. MPBL players do.
    “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
    -Arrigo Sacchi

Quote Originally Posted by mangangalakal View Post
    Amateur players don;t get paid. MPBL players do.
    Back read please! I already corrected myself saying that the league is semi-pro

Aris dionisio has the potential to become a 2 way ian sanggalang

MPBL suspends Michael Juico and Mark Cruz indefinitely as both players will be under NBI's investigation for alleged game fixing

https://www.foxsports.ph/basketball/...legations/amp/

“The league has requested the assistance of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to investigate on suspected game fixing activities and other related scheming activities performed by your players MICHAEL JUICO and MARK CRUZ during the semifinals series game [against the] San Juan team,” said in the statement.

“MPBL suspends MICHAEL JUICO and MARK CRUZ in order to give way to a thorough investigation on this matter. You are therefore requested to advise your players to cooperate in this investigation. MPBL will not hesitate to pursue criminal charges against any person found to have participated in game fixing and other scheming activities that have affected the results of the games,” the statement added.

Quote Originally Posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post
    MPBL suspends Michael Juico and Mark Cruz indefinitely as both players will be under NBI's investigation for alleged game fixing

“The league has requested the assistance of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to investigate on suspected game fixing activities and other related scheming activities performed by your players MICHAEL JUICO and MARK CRUZ during the semifinals series game [against the] San Juan team,” said in the statement.

“MPBL suspends MICHAEL JUICO and MARK CRUZ in order to give way to a thorough investigation on this matter. You are therefore requested to advise your players to cooperate in this investigation. MPBL will not hesitate to pursue criminal charges against any person found to have participated in game fixing and other scheming activities that have affected the results of the games,” the statement added.
    What can the MPBL do to stop this(if it is true)? MPBL teams needs to up the salaries of its players(maybe the pay to fix games is higher than there monthly salary).
    “When we are saying this cannot be accomplished, this cannot be done, then we are short-changing ourselves. My brain, it cannot process failure. It will not process failure. Because if I have to sit there and face myself and tell myself, ‘You’re a failure,’ I think that is worse, that is almost worse than death.”

- Kobe Bryant

Rest in Peace Mamba..

Quote Originally Posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post

Mark Cruz? Damn. Juico the guy who used to play for Baste? Isn't he a Delta player?

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast