Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Philippine Under-16 team!

Senior Member ultimate_baller24's Avatar

Default Philippine Under-16 team!

San Miguel Beermen team captain Olsen Racela will make his coaching debut right after the ongoing PBA Philippine Cup best-of-seven Finals series.

Racela, who is set to retire after the Philippine Cup, was named the new coach of the Philippine Under-16 team, a squad previously handled by Eric Altamirano, who will now coach the National University Bulldogs in the UAAP.

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) executive director Noli Eala confirmed the appointment of the 40-year old Racela, who will end his 18-year PBA career after the All-Filipino Cup finals.

Racela's familiarity with Altamirano's system basically sealed his hiring.

"The major thing about Olsen's hiring was the continuity of the program, since he's also familiar with Eric's system," said Eala.

Although he will also be one of Ato Agustin's assistant coaches with the Beermen starting next conference, there will be no conflict between that job and his role as National mentor.

Racela's first order of business is to oversee open tryouts for Under-16 players on February 1 and 3 at the PhilSports Arena. National team aspirants should be born not later than 1995.

"Basically, we are looking for height, quickness, and of course, skills from the boys who must be willing to sacrifice these next few months for the national team," said Racela, who was a National youth team member in 1987 and 1989.

The tryouts will be used for the formation of the National team bound for the 2011 FIBA Asia U-16 tournament in July. No host has been announced as of posting time.

Two years ago, Altamirano guided the Philippines to a fourth-place finish in Johor Bahru, Malaysia, with a team led by Kiefer Ravena, Cris Tolomia and Kevin Ferrer, among others. – JVP, KY, GMANews.TV
    any players that are Good for this team?
    Are we Going to tap Foreign players as well?
    Brandon Rosser,justine Brickman,jeros Domagas,and tony Bagtas might be available for our Under-16 National team. .

That's what I have been thinking with Coach E's departure, the continuity, the system.. Good thing the report says Olsen Racela knows his system.. And I really think that he is the perfect replacement..
    Philippines is in National Team transition mode.

i expect that more players are willing to don the national colors because their mother teams will give their permission that they are allowing their players to play for the national team.. as we all the past two youth mentor are attached to a collegiate team, now with olsen at the helm, we can expect that no hoarding of players may take place..!!! hope that olsen will also call the shots for the under 18 team next year
    ""failure is not the end but just the beginning of a victorious journey..just keep on dreaming and we will be back on the olympics''''

Quote Originally Posted by mayfel View Post
    i expect that more players are willing to don the national colors because their mother teams will give their permission that they are allowing their players to play for the national team.. as we all the past two youth mentor are attached to a collegiate team, now with olsen at the helm, we can expect that no hoarding of players may take place..!!! hope that olsen will also call the shots for the under 18 team next year
    Looking at the trend from our past under-16 and under-18 teams, it is likely that Olsen Racela will handle the reigns of our under-18 team. He can also be our coach for the under-21 team. Since there's no program between the under-18 and the senior men's team due to FIBA scratching the under-21 or Young-Men's tournaments, it would be good to have an under-21 or under-23 in our national program which will likely participate in SEA games, much like what we're having now with coach Norman Black.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate_baller24 View Post
    any players that are Good for this team?
    Are we Going to tap Foreign players as well?
    Brandon Rosser,justine Brickman,jeros Domagas,and tony Bagtas might be available for our Under-16 National team. .
    http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/wr2...shropshire.htm

http://www.sasmaui.org/athletics/inv.../kealakehe.pdf

Racela named PH youth coach, sets tryouts

Jasmine W. Payo and June Navarro
    First Posted 05:06:21 28/01/2011

In the twilight of a long and colorful PBA career, Olsen Racela will now try his hand at coaching.

The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas yesterday named the veteran San Miguel Beer playmaker national youth head coach.

"I'm grateful for the trust given to me by the SBP," Racela said. "More than the chance to expand by basketball horizons, this opportunity allows me to be of service to my country and to teach young kids everything the sport has taught me all these years."

SBP executive direction Noli Eala said the appointment of Racela would sustain the gains of the youth squad, which finished fourth out of 16 countries during the 2009 Fiba Asia U-16 Championship held in Johor Bahru.

"I won't promise any result yet but I give my vow to pour the same passion that I have shown in my playing career into coaching."

Racela's first assignment is the Under-16 boys' national team set to compete in Fiba Asia tournament later this year.

He has scheduled tryouts for the squad.

"Basically, we are looking for height, quickness, and of course, skills from the boys, who must be willing to sacrifice these next few months for the national team," said Racela, who met with former youth mentor Eric Altamirano after his appointment was made official yesterday.

The 40-year-old Racela is a five-time PBA All-star team and two-time Mythical five team member in a n 18-year PBA career.

Eala said open tryouts for the U16 team have been tentatively schedule next week. The SBP will also send out invitations to national squad prospects who failed to attend.

Eala said SBP will stage the National Juniors Championships for U19 and U17 boys and girls from October to December, culmination in the national finals in Baguio on January 23-20 2012 and the U22 National Inter-Collegiate Championship later last year.

Aside from these tournaments, SBP hopes to put up a six-team women's commercial league expected to be launched in April and conduct programs ranging from accreditation and licensing seminars for coaches and referees to basketball clinics throughout the country.

Racela, the Beermen's top court general the past decade, set two PBA milestones in a span of three months last year as the only fifth player in league history to have played 900 games and as the only sixth cager to see action his 40s.

The cerebral guard also suited up twice for the all-pro national team in the Asian Games in 1998 and 2002.

Racela hit 900 games last August to join an illustrious list that includes Robert Jaworksi, Abet Guidaben, Philip Cezar and Mon Fernandez.

He turned 40 last November 1 and joined the four legends in another list together with Yoyoy Villamin as the only players to remain active in their 40s.

San Miguel top brass had earlier given him the go-signal to split his time as youth coach and Beermen assistant if he is selected by SBP.

Bond of brothers: Racelas likely to handle PHL Youth 5

REY JOBLE, GMANews.TV
    01/13/2011 | 07:27 PM

Olsen Racela, the oldest active player in the Philippine Basketball Association, is ready to face his new challenge after the Philippine Cup — coaching.

And there's nothing more challenging in starting his coaching career than handling the national squad. The 18-year pro league veteran is being groomed to become the new head coach of the Philippine Youth basketball team.

Racela confirmed to GMANews.TV that there was an offer made by people from the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas regarding the possibility of him coaching the national youth team.

"May mga kumakausap sa akin from the SBP," said Racela in a telephone interview Thursday night. "And I told them that I'm interested. Tamang-tama naman yun because I'm set to retire after the Philippine Cup."

Brothers Olsen (right) and Nash Racela may work together
    in the huddle as possible members of the Philippine Youth
    basketball team coaching staff. GMANews.TV

And if ever the national team coaching job would fall into his lap, he will bring his younger brother, Nash Racela, to the coaching staff.

Still without any coaching experience, the San Miguel Beermen team captain believes Nash will be a big help in terms of giving him inputs when it comes to coaching.

"He hasn't given me coaching pointers yet, because I'm still playing. But definitely, he will be part of the coaching staff if ever the head coaching post in the Philippine Youth team will be given to me," added the older Racela.

A former third-string guard who blossomed to become one of the most dependable sentinels the league has ever produced, Racela is keen on ending his playing career with a big bang. His Beermen are within striking distance of winning another championship.

Presently, the Beermen are the wininngest ball club in the PBA with 18 titles.

The 40-year-old, two-time member of the all-pro national team to the 1998 and 2002 Asian Games, has already played 918 games — and counting.

But don't tell Racela that life begins at 40. After an 18-year career and championships won in both teams he played for in the PBA, there's nothing more to prove, according to the former Ateneo Eagles stalwart.

"I never expected to play this long," said Racela. "I was so blessed that I'm almost injury-free."

But there's one more wish before he officially hangs his jersey at the end of the Philippine Cup — and that is to retire as a champion and adorn all his 10 fingers with championship rings. - JVP, KY, GMANews.TV
    LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
    Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

I really thought that Jamike Jarin will get the nod to handle the Under 16 team. Jamike is the most qualified coach I see out that is more suitable in handling the Youth team.

Its a good jesture from MVP to give a long-time SMC employee a deserving spot to coach the youth squad.
    SAN BEDA BASKETBALL

who are the possible recruits? is there someone under 16 now who plays like revena,ferrer, teng and pessumal?

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsuperman View Post
    who are the possible recruits? is there someone under 16 now who plays like revena,ferrer, teng and pessumal?
    Those who were born in 1995. Probably incoming 3rd and 2nd year HS kids.
    SAN BEDA BASKETBALL

I assume the core of the youth squad will be composed by former U-13 team members. Wherever the hell they are.

javelosa of admu (around 6'3) and tolentino of san beda (around 6'3 too) could form the frontline of the U16 team....olsen must be in good terms with jarin and reroma so that he can borrow their players....

Tough task for these boys to equal or even surpass the 4th place finish of the Ravena-led team last 09.. Pretty good choice for picking Olsen Racela. Goodluck

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ticket View Post
    javelosa of admu (around 6'3) and tolentino of san beda (around 6'3 too) could form the frontline of the U16 team....olsen must be in good terms with jarin and reroma so that he can borrow their players....
    I personally think that Javelosa would be one of the anchors of this team simply because he has a pretty good skill set and he has the experience in terms of competitive basketball in this group age...This 6'3 kid was the frontline tandem of Paolo Romero in last year's UAAP Juniors Champ Ateneo and I tell you he is pretty good...Even in exhibition games against San Beda in which he is guarded by 6'5 Gotladera and 6'4 Javier, he still produced decent numbers like around 10 points and a couple of rebounds and mind you, he's just around 14 or maybe 15 ( i'm not sure with his age)

Yeah these are the two guys to watch.. Don't know much about who is who in their batch.. Anyone know U16 notable players from other schools??
    Last edited by rikhardur; 02-01-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    Philippines is in National Team transition mode.

Javellosa is the next star out of AHS and he is currently a freshman. He not only made varsity but was a starter from day one. Heady achievements that Kiefer Ravena or Gian Chiu never accomplished at a young age.

Subido out of Zobel is a player to watch. A smaller version of Ravena and also a freshman. High basketball IQ thanks to the coaching of his father, the coach at Lourdes Mandaluyong.

There are a couple of young players out of Sacred Heart-ADC. They gave AHS a run for their money in last years secondary championship.

Teng of Xavier is only a junior. If he is not over age, Racela will be wise to build the team around this scorer. The coach of UE recruited a bunch of players who made the national under 13 team which he happens to coach.

just heard that san beda taytay will not lend players to this U16 after SBP bypassing brit reroma....any updates about this, sir nardy?

just heard that san beda taytay will not lend players to this U16 after SBP bypassing brit reroma....any updates about this, sir nardy?

I know personally Britt begged off from the Head Coaching job as he gave way to Jamike Jarin of Ateneo. Unfortunately for sentimental reasons, Olsen was the one chosen.

then how can that be when from what I know there is no Red Cub invited. FYI .... 9 Red Cubs of the NCAA Champion Team are graduating. Those returning are over 16 years old while those coming in next year are unknowns.

The strong Junior Teams next year are Ateneo, FEU, DLSZ, UST and NU at the UAAP then SSC-R, LSGH, JRU and Letran in the NCAA.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

For me Racela is the best choice. And the term of borrowing players for this team is not right. Because we organize this team not to borrow players but to train players. By borrowing means temporary which is not the idea. This team must be composed of permanent players as long as they fit with regards to their age.

top 6 in asia mission accomplished for our youth program
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Monday, January 31, 2011

Cage body to bid for Fiba meet

SAMAHANG Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director Noli Eala said yesterday that they will be bidding to host the FIBA-Asia youth under-16 qualifier for the world championships.

Eala said the proposal to host the tournament here, which will likely to be held in September, was forwarded to FIBA-Asia deputy secretary general Hagop Khajirian after the Fiba official visited the country earlier this month.

According to Eala, the other bidder is Indonesia, although Fiba is still looking for other bidders.

Eala said that if Fiba accepts SBP’s bid, the tournament could either be held in Bacolod City or in Lucena City. The tournament is expected to be participated in by at least 12 countries.

Eala added that this is also going to be the first time that an under-16 qualifier will be held in Southeast Asia.

Meanwhile, the SBP will be conducting joint seminars in 16 regions for the licensing and accreditation of coaches and referees, which will run from February to May, 2011.

The seminars will be held as part of the country’s hosting of the 22nd FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in May. Peter Atencio

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast