View Poll Results: Should FIBA Change Eurobasket Rules?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 79.31%
  • No

4 13.79%
  • I dont know anything...kill me

2 6.90%

Thread: Should FIBA change Eurobasket Rules?

Arrow Should FIBA change Eurobasket Rules?

Exactly what it says. Vote for this and give it some thought.

For example what i think should be changed...

1. I strongly think that the game times are ludicrous... Greece plays after 16 hours of "rest" against spain which is the favorite of the competition? Also liths played well rested russians but that is not nearly as bad as teh greek example. At least liths got 24 hours... Why are they in such a hurry to finish off thee tournaments? Whats the point of having the teams play when they are tired. Also doesnt this possible change the results considering the tired teams cant play too well? Im thinking of greece possibly beating spain today... Also croatia vs slovenia.. unrested?

2. Maybe make all teams play each other and find out which one can collect most points? The elmination system makes players nervous, and if a team isnt having a great team they can lose even if they are better.

3... You add more

what do you know this just came out. and i posted this topic before this... am i a genius?

Russia's Coach D Blatt:

"Ta?iau jau susitikimo pradžioje jaut?me, kad lietuviai yra fiziškai silpnesni ir pavarg? po vakarykš?i? rungtyni?. Tur?jome išnaudoti š? privalum?, nes tai buvo vienintel? galimyb? nugal?ti varžovus. "

Eng:

"Even in the beginning of the fight, we felt the lithuanians were physically weaker and more tired after yesterday's game. We had to use this advantage, because this was the only chance to win against the opponents"

Sarunas jasikevicius said that russia simply played better basketball, and that he didnt want to look for excuses for the loss. He said that it would be better to play rested, but also added that the greeks were in the same situation.

Feel free to comment.

It's not that wrong not 2 have a day off after the quarterfinals.What's unfair is that your opponent can have an extra day of rest, like Spain over Greece and Russia over Lithuania.I think that in 2005 the teams that met in the semifinals played their respective quarterfinals at the same day.
    Your time is up my time is now,
    you can't see me my time is now...

"Basketball is like the church. Many attend it, but few understand it"

If u smell what the G.L. is cookin'...

The Demon of Greek loby is here!

you know, thats the thing... im not looking for excuses for lith or greece. the opponents were better i guess thats why they won. but still if this happens next time and other teams will face this crap i think its not a fair tournament. Shouldnt both teams be given exactly the same conditions?

Russia you did good job, you too spain. But i think they should seriously consider changing this crappy system

Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx
    you know, thats the thing... im not looking for excuses for lith or greece. the opponents were better i guess thats why they won. but still if this happens next time and other teams will face this crap i think its not a fair tournament. Shouldnt both teams be given exactly the same conditions?

Russia you did good job, you too spain. But i think they should seriously consider changing this crappy system
    As I said in 2005 the system was probably different at this point.But then the home team wasn't going 2 b benefited from this...
    Your time is up my time is now,
    you can't see me my time is now...

"Basketball is like the church. Many attend it, but few understand it"

If u smell what the G.L. is cookin'...

The Demon of Greek loby is here!

Thumbs down

you know what i think lith's should do next eurobasket ? win the absolute minimum to get into the next stage and thats it. Lose all the others. Literally just walk from one side of the court to the other and practice shooting during the game. This way they wont get tired and whoever is responsible for the shitty schedule can watch the most boring game on earth. Its sad this is what it has gotten to. But you have to explain the logic of letting one team rest more than the other... really. i dont get it. How is that providing an equal chance to win for both sides?

Lith's problem is that they tried to stay perfect and played hard even games that didnt matter. and now they didnt have chance to recover. Im not so much mad about my country losing as im pissed at the 16 hour recovery the greeks got. They fought so hard it was possible for them to win, but they couldnt make decent 3 pointers which was probably due to fatigue.

Actualy, i would prefer if they would have changed the system to something like the World League in volleyball. Its something more like Euroleague, but with National Teams, where in the end they meet for a Final 6, though it may be Final 8 nowdays.

Of course the idiotic schedule they keep in the NBA won't allow that to happen, as many important players for many teams play there.

Quote Originally Posted by Remon
    Of course the idiotic schedule they keep in the NBA won't allow that to happen, as many important players for many teams play there.
    thanks for calling it idiotic, although there is some truth to that.

business is business and if the NBA wants to maximize profits then they gotta do what they have to do.

about this topic, it's unfortunate about the time schedule and which team gets mroe rest and which doesnt. but that's just the way it is and for me imho has always been. if two teams were given the same adequate time of rest, sure it would be great, reality wise with scheduling conflicts would just strain committee of league/organization..again i dont care what competition you are in, business will always be part of it and now its a balancing act of money/scheduling, time constraints.

hey team usa in the tournament of the americas had to play x so many days straight and they started getting tired...i believe they showed it when they played against mexico, they were a bit fatigued since they virtually had no rest; im sure this has happened to other teams in the past present and future, just going to let it be this way, and i have no problem with that.

i did vote yes change the rules, because i really would like the 3pt line extended to the nba range or at least compromise somewhere between the fiba 3 pt line and the nba 3 pt line. players today are more skilled and gifted than before...moving the line a few notches back shouldnt hurt them, besides euros can adapt well to change in system imho.

i dont remember if its just the width and/or length of a fiba court that is smaller compared to the nba width/length...make this bigger as well.

and that ability to swat the ball out once it hits the rim, get rid of that also. if not then id like the nb to incorporate it because that is so mind boggline for many of us here across the big pond.

other than that keep everything else. i know i really would like the nba t adapt the trapezoid lane.
    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Just to clarify, I didn't call the NBA idiotic, just its schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantim3dx
    i did vote yes change the rules, because i really would like the 3pt line extended to the nba range....

i dont remember if its just the width and/or length of a fiba court that is smaller compared to the nba width/length...make this bigger as well.
    I think both these are part of the same problem. I don't really have an opinion about the 3pt line tbh.

and that ability to swat the ball out once it hits the rim, get rid of that also. if not then id like the nb to incorporate it because that is so mind boggline for many of us here across the big pond.
    No no, I certainly don't want that to go away. And I'm sure the NBA won't adopt it, as it will mean smaller score, and we know that bigger scores bring more ppl, which is better for business.

other than that keep everything else. i know i really would like the nba t adapt the trapezoid lane.
    Again, no opinion.

Well, I think what Deus Ex had in mind, isn't changes in the way the game is played, but mostly about the schedule issues and the way the tournament is done.
    Last edited by Remon; 09-16-2007 at 02:29 AM.

[QUOTE=Phantim3dx]
    business is business and if the NBA wants to maximize profits then they gotta do what they have to do.QUOTE]
    Somewhen we used to call this game basketball, but NBA is far from this, even you agree that its just business?

NBA - National Buisiness League?

It should be about sport not business. Ruins a lot of things. damn it.

Well, in the system they used the last years the group winner had a longer rest and deserved this by winning games but Lithuanians also weren't satisfied.
    "It's not about four guys working to get one player open and give the ball to him."- Ettore Messina

Sanchez, Ginobili, Basile, Kukoc, Sabonis

Thumbs down

they need to give both teams an equal chance to win. Allowing one team to play more rested than the other is not only unfair, it doesnt make sense. Why should one team play with a disadvantage?

One team always has a smaller period of rest as you cannot play at the same time or you would have even less spectators.
    "It's not about four guys working to get one player open and give the ball to him."- Ettore Messina

Sanchez, Ginobili, Basile, Kukoc, Sabonis

Not the EXACT time... They can play in the same day. for example all quarter final games in the same day. So that the difference in the rest period between teams is reduced to a few hours rather than a day or two...

I heard that Šaras has made some heavy criticism on behalf of this Eurobasket system after the game with Greece... are we waiting for the exact quotes?

Banned

its not only saras who said it.. butautas agreed with him.. and the greek coach also mentioned that the system is bs. i emailed fiba and told them to change it... but 1 email dont do anything you guys should do it also. -_-

IMO this system would be good, if there weren't quarter finals any more, but after second stage the first two teams would get into semis. So there would be award for playing well the whole tournament. Now some team could play bad first 6 games and win only a game or two and still make the 1/4 finals (like Croatia). There they could have some big lucky day and beat a team, who won all 6 maches before and has the first bad day (like Lithuania could). That's the only problem I have with this system apart from day and time schedule.
    "Rudy Gay is a pretty good young player and yet he might be the only BB player that people feel very uncomfortable wearing his jersey."