End of the Yugoslavian Legacy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the Yugoslavian Legacy?

I didn't think about it until recently, but if Croatia or Slovenia don't qualify for next summer's Olympic games it will be the first time since the 1956 Melbourne (AUS) Olympics that Yugoslavia or former Yugoslav republics won't participate in a major international tournament. That to me is just as big a story as the US's recent failures in international competition. Of course, if either Slovenia or Croatia don't win an automatic Olympic birth at Eurobasket they still have a chance next summer to qualify for Beijing in the pre-Olympic tournament, which will keep the YUGO/FYR streak alive. I believe Slovenia has the best chance of the two to make it to China, and if they continue to play well at Eurobasket, I really don't believe that the streak is in any danger, but stranger things have happened. So we will see.

I don't believe that basketball in the Balkans is dead by any means--the Serbs junior national team just won the U-19 WC, so the talent is still there--but after 51 years of competing at every major international tournament, it would be sad to see no former Yugoslav state represented at next year's Olympics.
    Last edited by Federoy; 09-10-2007, 07:18 AM.

Talent is still here, attitude is huge problem. All 3 basketball forces in this area had to cope with lot of absentes. Croatia missing 4 key players, Slovenia and Serbia almost 10 key players each. And all this players aren't absent because of injures but because of "long season" (despite sitting on the bench all year long), "family reasons", "preparation for next season ala i-ll-be-free-agent" etc.
    Mentality is also problem. Both Croatia and Serbia lost to Israel not because lacking of talent but because they took game too easy. Slovenia is surprising in this segment and has won two tough game in last minutes. This is something new for us.
    Something must change in heads of players or maybe better in national associations. Then Serbia will again be treat for gold on every tournament and Croatia will be serious treat for every other team. I don't know for Slovenia. we play with worse team on paper in years and still we have 4-0 bargain so far. Attitude is here, i only hope absent players will come to this attitude in future. Then maybe we can reach a medal, who knows.

Comment

I had this discussion with a Serb a couple of years ago and the conclusion was that today Serbia players seem to have their egos too much above the interest of the Serbian NT.Divac,Djordjevic etc despite being great players would "submit" to their coach in order to create a team rather than todays no team-just good assets.

Comment

Originally posted by c_fish
        I had this discussion with a Serb a couple of years ago and the conclusion was that today Serbia players seem to have their egos too much above the interest of the Serbian NT.Divac,Djordjevic etc despite being great players would "submit" to their coach in order to create a team rather than todays no team-just good assets.
        That's absolutely correct!Nevermind what I(and many others here) say about Serbia in the 90s and their ref assistance(which was beyond doubt), this team had great players who never caused problems 2 their NT.Today's most Serbian players r only as good as the socks of Divac, Djordjevic, Danilovic, Paspalj etc
        Your time is up my time is now,
        you can't see me my time is now...

"Basketball is like the church. Many attend it, but few understand it"

If u smell what the G.L. is cookin'...

The Demon of Greek loby is here!

Comment

Dead my ass. After we finish with the people in our organization we will be on top. See you in two years.Now we see who has ref assistance. Your team suck. Even they won European Championship. They are horrible. Its not big deaL to miss one Olympic games. Life goes on. We need young and energetic people to lead us to the top. I am expoecting. People like Divac,Djordjevic,Bodiroga, Vukoicic etc to take us there. In a two or thre years Greece will be nowhere.
          UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Srle
            Dead my ass. After we finish with the people in our organization we will be on top. See you in two years.Now we see who has ref assistance. Your team suck. Even they won European Championship. They are horrible. Its not big deaL to miss one Olympic games. Life goes on. We need young and energetic people to lead us to the top. I am expoecting. People like Divac,Djordjevic,Bodiroga, Vukoicic etc to take us there. In a two or thre years Greece will be nowhere.
            Just like u would destroy everybody this year
            Vidimose...

Comment

The talent is there

it's just the commitment isn't anymore.
              but this is a wide-spread issue, as almost all of the teams in the EuroBasket had at least one major absentee due to some personal (as opposed to injury) excuse.

I do believe that at least one of the teams will come to its senses and get to China one way or the other.

Comment

ahahhaah serbian friend you are funny... a single player KOSTAS KOUFOS almost single handed won your team.... i cant imagine having decent backups so let the preaching for another time lets say after 10-15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by reignman
                  ahahhaah serbian friend you are funny... a single player KOSTAS KOUFOS almost single handed won your team.... i cant imagine having decent backups so let the preaching for another time lets say after 10-15 years.
                  ...or maybe when the grandson of Stankovic takes over FIBA again

Comment

Originally posted by Srle
                    In a two or thre years Greece will be nowhere.
                    Man tell me what you're on... this shit must be really good Seriously, it is hard to have that many good guards (nevermind that most of them will be about 30 yrs old) as we have now in the future,but nowhere?I guess we'll be fighting for the same rankings with your NT in which the selfish hotheads and the players who will prefer clubbing in Mykonos to representing their country will deprive it from its true power

Comment

Originally posted by reignman
                      Almost, but he didnt did he? The Serbian subs were good, but MILAN MACVAN DID won your team, and was robbed of mvp. Where was Greece in the u20s? It's funny I was there and didn't hear 2 words about them all week long. Or what about the u19s? U16s? Even your best team couldn't beat Serbia's worst youth team of the summer. Please, what a joke. And your senior team did win, but barely, and it took them OT and a few nice refs to do it. Besides if you look at the senior team Serbia blew you out by 30 pts even if it was a friendly. Where's the room for Greeks to speak of the Yugoslavian decline? Hey man, let me tell you i would be REAL excited about the future of Greek basketball. It should be interesting. THIS GROUP SHOULD BE CALLED THE END OF THE GREEK LEGEND, THE BEGINING OF THE SERBIAN.
                      Srbija - Quadruple Crown 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Federoy

I don't believe that basketball in the Balkans is dead by any means--the Serbs junior national team just won the U-21 WC, so the talent is still there--but after 51 years of competing at every major international tournament, it would be sad to see no former Yugoslav state represented at next year's Olympics.
                        Well first it was the u20 EC, not the u21 WC. And that was just one of 4 championships, with one being the u19 over the Americans.
                        Srbija - Quadruple Crown 2007

Comment

It just makes me sad to see serbians and greeks argue like that. If you keep arguing like that in fact, it will be the end of both.

Greece will be here. Serbians will be here too, because they never left. We are a good team, and the new one is going to be good too. Serbia is for me the grandest talent pool in europe, so of course it is not the end here, not by any chance.

Bitter comments from bitter minded fans, are irrelevant to basketball. Stop making fools out of yourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by jwfish6
                            Well first it was the u20 EC, not the u21 WC. And that was just one of 4 championships, with one being the u19 over the Americans.
                            Sorry, I was misinformed. U-19 Championships is what I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by Stardusted
                              It just makes me sad to see serbians and greeks argue like that. If you keep arguing like that in fact, it will be the end of both.

Greece will be here. Serbians will be here too, because they never left. We are a good team, and the new one is going to be good too. Serbia is for me the grandest talent pool in europe, so of course it is not the end here, not by any chance.

Bitter comments from bitter minded fans, are irrelevant to basketball. Stop making fools out of yourselves.
                              Unfortunately you are completly right. I also hope that our basketball will be very soon be back on track, but not because of the decline of Greek basketball but because of the rise of Serbian. And as far as I am consirned my favourite teams are Greek, Lith, Croatian, Slovenian and if all of us shared the top 5 spots next 10 years I would be happiest. Go Eastern Europe!

And even though I am not a fan of the French, German and especially Italian and Spanish teams I respect them and would never talk about them like some Serbs on this forum wrote about Greek national team.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information