Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, the teams who have already qualified are: Russia, Spain, Lithuania (Europe), USA, Argentina (America), Australia (Oceania), Angola (Africa), Iran (Asia), China (host). Right? Which leaves 3 spots open....
    Now, for the qualifying tournament.... The Asian and African teams have no hope I think. As well as Canada... So it will be between the 4 euro teams (Greece, Germany, Croatia, Slovenia), Brazil, Puerto Rico and New Zealand... It will be a tough tournament for sure...

Comment

The Asian and African teams have no hope I think. As well as Canada... So it will be between the 4 euro teams (Greece, Germany, Croatia, Slovenia), Brazil, Puerto Rico and New Zealand...
      You're mostly right but don't write off Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat
        You're mostly right but don't write off Canada.

Nothing personal Hepcat
        But with your 2007 roster, you surely have no hope... With Nash (mostly) and Magloire in, things will change. But will they be in the Olympic qualifying tournament?

Comment

where is turkey?

Comment

Turkey can't go on Olympic.

Comment

Originally posted by Argylex
              So, the teams who have already qualified are: Russia, Spain, Lithuania (Europe), USA, Argentina (America), Australia (Oceania), Angola (Africa), Iran (Asia), China (host). Right? Which leaves 3 spots open....
              Now, for the qualifying tournament.... The Asian and African teams have no hope I think. As well as Canada... So it will be between the 4 euro teams (Greece, Germany, Croatia, Slovenia), Brazil, Puerto Rico and New Zealand... It will be a tough tournament for sure...
              New Zealand lost by 30 to China last month and they barely won japan(8th in asia this year) by 2 at the WBC last year......leb is a much better team where they always take China to close games at the asian championships and lose by a few points and beat Ven and Fra last yr who r both better teams than NZ.......

Comment

Originally posted by karim
                New Zealand lost by 30 to China last month and they barely won japan(8th in asia this year) by 2 at the WBC last year......leb is a much better team where they always take China to close games at the asian championships and lose by a few points and beat Ven and Fra last yr who r both better teams than NZ.......
                OK. I admit that I haven't watched a New Zealand game since their best times (Loved the Maori dance ). Maybe you're right. We'll have to wait for the tournament (if there will be a tournament, strange things are heard...)
                Best of luck to your team, karim, but I believe that the Asia championships was your best shot...
                Last edited by Argylex; 09-17-2007, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Can anyone confirm the tournament format that maka posted?

In that format the 3rd place qualifier will have to play 5 games in the 7 days that the tournament runs. Teams with a strong bench will have an advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Argylex
                    OK. I admit that I haven't watched a New Zealand game since their best times (Loved the Maori dance ). Maybe you're right. We'll have to wait for the tournament (if there will be a tournament, strange things are heard...)
                    Best of luck to your team, karim, but I believe that the Asia championships was your best shot...
                    ya man ur right the asian championship was our best chance , im not saying lebanon will make it in the top 3 cuz i believe there are 6 teams better than lebanon but i do think leb can beat the african teams,NZ,korea and canada.....i predict lebanon will make it to the 1/8 and than lose their next elimination game........

Comment

Originally posted by karim
                      ya man ur right the asian championship was our best chance , im not saying lebanon will make it in the top 3 cuz i believe there are 6 teams better than lebanon but i do think leb can beat the african teams,NZ,korea and canada.....i predict lebanon will make it to the 1/8 and than lose their next elimination game........
                      Bro, Canada is a better team now!!!
                      Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
                      16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
                      Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
                      8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

I find it a bit odd that this tournament's location hasn't been determined.

Stuart
                        http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
                        http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
                        http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

FIBA probably wants one of the participating teams to host, so they've waited to see who will be in the tournament.

If I was organizing the qualifying, I would divide the teams into three groups, with the winner of each group going to the olympics. Each group could be hosted by one of the participating countries.
                          Last edited by cadeceus; 09-18-2007, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I am not certain that they will go on with it...

First of all, holding a tournament in the beginning of July and then having the Olympics at August deprives players of any rest and leads to burnout. For those that play in the NBA, or in the Euroleague and competive leagues, it is going to be a hellish summer.
                            Not to mention that a team can't simply be in its peak for two months. First you have to qualify, then you have to be competitive in the OG.

Can't see how this will work for the top teams....

Comment

If they don't go ahead with it, how will they determine who goes to the Olympics?

When has FIBA cared about player burnout?

Comment

By PrimeraHora.Com

Originally posted by PrimeraHora.Com
                                "El Repechaje Sera Un Torneo Infernal"
                                "The Repechage Will Be An Infernal Tournament"
                                According to Alberto Garcia, one of the top ranked officials of FIBAAmericas, Greece, Puerto Rico and Korea are the early favorites to get the event.

According to him, Puerto Rico's advantage is that we can organize an event, and that a 2:00PM game here would be primetime in Europe. Greece advantage is that its a centrical country, and many of the nations are close to Greece.

Article
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information